Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

College Football Talk + Clowney Saga
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: College Football Talk + Clowney Saga Reply with quote

Clowney vs Tennessee
VS
USC (5-1) @ Tennessee (3-3)
Time: 12:00 PM ET, October 19, 2013
Weather: N/A
TV: ESPN
Preview:
Quote:
"There's still a lot of room for improvement," Spurrier said. "We had some good, gracious breaks last week and the week before. I don't think the gracious breaks are going to keep coming our way all the time."
South Carolina (5-1, 3-1) will likely have to beat Tennessee on Saturday and win the rest of its league games, including matchups with No. 22 Florida and upstart 14th-ranked Missouri, to win the SEC East. The Gamecocks will need help with another loss by No. 15 Georgia, which is a much bigger possibility with all of the Bulldogs' injuries.
But things are looking much better for South Carolina than they did last month after the Gamecocks opened SEC play with a loss to Georgia. Sophomore tailback Mike Davis is the 10th-leading rusher in the country at almost 124 yards a game, while Connor Shaw is seventh in the nation in pass efficiency with 10 touchdowns and no interceptions.
Spurrier is even handing out praise to his senior signal-caller, which can be hard to come by from the 1966 Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback.
"He's so much better as a passer. Anytime a quarterback can run like he can, the general thinking is he must not be a great passer because he can run so well," Spurrier said. "But his ball has gotten better this year and that's because his foot is 100 percent healthy and he's just played a lot more."
South Carolina is averaging 486 yards a game. Spurrier hasn't had a team average better than 400 yards in his previous eight seasons at South Carolina, and only three of his teams at Florida gained more yards per game.
Tennessee dominated the series with South Carolina when the Gamecocks first entered the program, once winning 12 straight games. But the Vols have lost three consecutive matchups, last winning in 2009 in Lane Kiffin's only season. That also marked Tennessee's last victory over a Top 25 team, with the school dropping 19 such games since.
Volunteers coach Butch Jones said South Carolina is as good as any team Tennessee has faced this year.
"I think their results speak for themselves. I think they're an extremely complete football team when you look at physicality, when you look at size, when you look at speed," Jones said. "They're coming in here with a lot of momentum, a lot of confidence."
Part of that confidence comes from a defense that is back on track. Arkansas ran just 37 plays on offense in last week's 52-7 South Carolina win. And with all the hand-wringing over Clowney and his teammates, the unit's statistics aren't bad. The Gamecocks are allowing just over 345 yards a game, trailing only Florida and Alabama in the SEC.
"They took too much of the blame," Shaw said of the defense. "I can remember this offense when I first took over we were struggling to find our identity and our defense had our back. It's kind of flipped."
Clowney was back on the field against Arkansas after missing a game against Kentucky with a strained muscle near his ribcage. Spurrier wasn't asked a single question about the defensive lineman Tuesday after a week where his conditioning and commitment dominated coverage.
Spurrier brought up the defense himself when asked whether he worried last week's big win would get his team overconfident, pointing out how they only trail the SEC's elite defenses.
"Our defense has come a long way. Nobody needs to get upset that our total defense is third in the conference," Spurrier said. "We haven't given up a ton of yards. Just hadn't played that fourth quarter well for about two or three weeks in a row."
Lack of defense has had much to do with Tennessee's poor season. The Vols (3-3, 0-2) are allowing 35.7 points and 471.3 yards per game, both near the bottom of the FBS.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/preview?gameId=332922633
Last Week :
Happy Ground Hog’s Day! Literally, I could cut and paste Clowney’s game summary and be spot on. Once again Arkansas spent much of the day running misdirection, running away, chipping, doubling and sometimes triple teaming Clowney.
Want to know why teams don’t run at Clowney since he’s out of shape and unfocused?

On this play Clowney takes on three blockers and blows up the run play.

Of note clearly the commentators were Pro-Clowney. It seemed a collective effort by USC, Spurrier, the media, etc to reduce the out of control hyperbole surrounding Clowney. Clowney is a kid with a lot of people coming at him in every direction all with Lattimore’s injury on the back of his mind.

Getting back to his old self Spurrier turned his attention away from trolling Clowney and back on his defeated opponent:
Quote:
"I do feel badly for Arkansas. That’s no fun getting your butt beat at home, homecoming and all that."

Quote:
"Will be the 14th time I've coached in Neyland Stadium. ... I've coached there more than some of their head coaches."

The only worst than a poor loser is a poor winner . . .

Summary:
NFL writer wrote:
(paraphrase) I’ve taken a poll of NFL scouts and collectively no one cares about any of this provided Clowney’s Combine and subsequent interviews go well

Last edited by Baggabonez on Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
agarcia34

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebron is a beast!! Can't say that enough.
Dessie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do we need another thread on College football & a prospect that we likely won't be taking. Surely this can all go in one thread. If this was ericallen making the thread there would be hell on (rightly so(

This is a Raider board after all.
#clueless
bitty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: College Football Talk Week 8 + Clowney Saga Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
Clowney vs Tennessee
VS
USC (5-1) @ Tennessee (3-3)
Time: 12:00 PM ET, October 19, 2013
Weather: N/A
TV: ESPN
Preview:
Quote:
"There's still a lot of room for improvement," Spurrier said. "We had some good, gracious breaks last week and the week before. I don't think the gracious breaks are going to keep coming our way all the time."
South Carolina (5-1, 3-1) will likely have to beat Tennessee on Saturday and win the rest of its league games, including matchups with No. 22 Florida and upstart 14th-ranked Missouri, to win the SEC East. The Gamecocks will need help with another loss by No. 15 Georgia, which is a much bigger possibility with all of the Bulldogs' injuries.
But things are looking much better for South Carolina than they did last month after the Gamecocks opened SEC play with a loss to Georgia. Sophomore tailback Mike Davis is the 10th-leading rusher in the country at almost 124 yards a game, while Connor Shaw is seventh in the nation in pass efficiency with 10 touchdowns and no interceptions.
Spurrier is even handing out praise to his senior signal-caller, which can be hard to come by from the 1966 Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback.
"He's so much better as a passer. Anytime a quarterback can run like he can, the general thinking is he must not be a great passer because he can run so well," Spurrier said. "But his ball has gotten better this year and that's because his foot is 100 percent healthy and he's just played a lot more."
South Carolina is averaging 486 yards a game. Spurrier hasn't had a team average better than 400 yards in his previous eight seasons at South Carolina, and only three of his teams at Florida gained more yards per game.
Tennessee dominated the series with South Carolina when the Gamecocks first entered the program, once winning 12 straight games. But the Vols have lost three consecutive matchups, last winning in 2009 in Lane Kiffin's only season. That also marked Tennessee's last victory over a Top 25 team, with the school dropping 19 such games since.
Volunteers coach Butch Jones said South Carolina is as good as any team Tennessee has faced this year.
"I think their results speak for themselves. I think they're an extremely complete football team when you look at physicality, when you look at size, when you look at speed," Jones said. "They're coming in here with a lot of momentum, a lot of confidence."
Part of that confidence comes from a defense that is back on track. Arkansas ran just 37 plays on offense in last week's 52-7 South Carolina win. And with all the hand-wringing over Clowney and his teammates, the unit's statistics aren't bad. The Gamecocks are allowing just over 345 yards a game, trailing only Florida and Alabama in the SEC.
"They took too much of the blame," Shaw said of the defense. "I can remember this offense when I first took over we were struggling to find our identity and our defense had our back. It's kind of flipped."
Clowney was back on the field against Arkansas after missing a game against Kentucky with a strained muscle near his ribcage. Spurrier wasn't asked a single question about the defensive lineman Tuesday after a week where his conditioning and commitment dominated coverage.
Spurrier brought up the defense himself when asked whether he worried last week's big win would get his team overconfident, pointing out how they only trail the SEC's elite defenses.
"Our defense has come a long way. Nobody needs to get upset that our total defense is third in the conference," Spurrier said. "We haven't given up a ton of yards. Just hadn't played that fourth quarter well for about two or three weeks in a row."
Lack of defense has had much to do with Tennessee's poor season. The Vols (3-3, 0-2) are allowing 35.7 points and 471.3 yards per game, both near the bottom of the FBS.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/preview?gameId=332922633
Last Week :
Happy Ground Hog’s Day! Literally, I could cut and paste Clowney’s game summary and be spot on. Once again Arkansas spent much of the day running misdirection, running away, chipping, doubling and sometimes triple teaming Clowney.
Want to know why teams don’t run at Clowney since he’s out of shape and unfocused?

On this play Clowney takes on three blockers and blows up the run play.

Of note clearly the commentators were Pro-Clowney. It seemed a collective effort by USC, Spurrier, the media, etc to reduce the out of control hyperbole surrounding Clowney. Clowney is a kid with a lot of people coming at him in every direction all with Lattimore’s injury on the back of his mind.

Getting back to his old self Spurrier turned his attention away from trolling Clowney and back on his defeated opponent:
Quote:
"I do feel badly for Arkansas. That’s no fun getting your butt beat at home, homecoming and all that."

Quote:
"Will be the 14th time I've coached in Neyland Stadium. ... I've coached there more than some of their head coaches."

The only worst than a poor loser is a poor winner . . .

Summary:
NFL writer wrote:
(paraphrase) I’ve taken a poll of NFL scouts and collectively no one cares about any of this provided Clowney’s Combine and subsequent interviews go well

Collin Cowherd lambasted Clowney this week: (quote coming)

You know Clowney is going against a WR right?
holyghost

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the Clowney situation as one of those typical draft over-thinking things. Like A. Peterson with his "shoulder" concerns. Clowney will drop a slight bit, not out of the top 10, and whoever gets him will benefit from the stupidity and over-thinking of the teams before his pick. There's no way he won't make a great pro player. His drop may not be as much as another position because DE is so desired. But still, some team will benefit from the error of 2-5 other teams overreacting to all this time passing with nothing but things to nitpick about a prospect.
holyghost

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yes, a new thread for this crap every week has become as stupid as some of the other guys posts. No reason at all it can't go in one thread, and if that thread dies accept the fact that it's probably just a stupid thread.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holyghost wrote:
I see the Clowney situation as one of those typical draft over-thinking things. Like A. Peterson with his "shoulder" concerns. Clowney will drop a slight bit, not out of the top 10, and whoever gets him will benefit from the stupidity and over-thinking of the teams before his pick. There's no way he won't make a great pro player. His drop may not be as much as another position because DE is so desired. But still, some team will benefit from the error of 2-5 other teams overreacting to all this time passing with nothing but things to nitpick about a prospect.

He won't. Scouts have already said they haven't moved him. If he tests well at the combine (he will) and he interviews well he will be the #1 overall pic.

Fact is, this QB is overrated at the top. Bridgewater disgustingly so and people are starting to see that.

Clowney is a once in a generation prospect. That hasn't changed. All this nonsense pot stirring isn't going to drop him even if that's what some teams would like to happen.

Hell.... I hope he drops so the Raiders have a chance. But I think despite their QB issues Jax will take him or trade out. Can get a decent QB atop the 2nd round and they will see that also needing a pass rusher.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
holyghost wrote:

He won't. Scouts have already said they haven't moved him. If he tests well at the combine (he will) and he interviews well he will be the #1 overall pic.

Fact is, this QB is overrated at the top. Bridgewater disgustingly so and people are starting to see that.

Clowney is a once in a generation prospect. That hasn't changed. All this nonsense pot stirring isn't going to drop him even if that's what some teams would like to happen.

Hell.... I hope he drops so the Raiders have a chance. But I think despite their QB issues Jax will take him or trade out. Can get a decent QB atop the 2nd round and they will see that also needing a pass rusher.

+1

This past draft they took Joekel when they already had a franchise LT, which tells me they are all about BPA. If they are on the clock and there is no QB worthy of their selection, Clowney will be the pick... unless another team offers a ransom.

Silver&Black88 on the sig

La_Vader wrote:
I wouldn't trade Pryor for any prospect in this years draft. Quote me on that
big_palooka

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoomWaffle wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
holyghost wrote:

+1

This past draft they took Joekel when they already had a franchise LT, which tells me they are all about BPA. If they are on the clock and there is no QB worthy of their selection, Clowney will be the pick... unless another team offers a ransom.

Bottom line. There is not a QB worth taking over Clowney..... period.

This class is very overrated IMO (unless a guy like Hogan declares). I don't see a top 10 draft pick in this QB class. All mid 1st to 2nds to me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
holyghost wrote:

+1

This class is very overrated IMO (unless a guy like Hogan declares). I don't see a top 10 draft pick in this QB class. All mid 1st to 2nds to me.

is that your analysis or prediction?
the analysis, I can't argue with, but I'd be really surprised if the Lou QB doesn't go top10.

Bolansho Boro Begoz
big_palooka

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrapTakula wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
holyghost wrote:

+1

is that your analysis or prediction?
the analysis, I can't argue with, but I'd be really surprised if the Lou QB doesn't go top10.

That's my analysis. A QB, maybe 2 will go top 10, probably top 5 when you look at the QB needy teams.

I am saying the class is overrated and I rate guys at other positions higher.

Teams who might look at QBs in the first round.

Cleveland, Jacksonville, Houston, Minnesota, Tampa, Arizona, Oakland

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBS has Mariota going third to Tampa. I feel bad for tthem if that happens

PM sig requests.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTagg7754 wrote:
CBS has Mariota going third to Tampa. I feel bad for tthem if that happens

Why?

Mariota is a solid QB. He gets flack because of Oregon's offense, but last week he took a part a solid Washington defense. One particular seem throw in that game showed exactly why he's got NFL potential.

He will rightfully go in round 1. Prob be overdrafted in the top 5-10, but I'd take him all damn day over Bridgewater.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I think Clowney is overrated. I'm not saying he's a bad prospect or player. I just don't see him as a future pro bowl player. He seems to be about the money. I understand he doesn't want to injure himself and get dropped in the draft, but he's not showing himself as someone who was a passion for the game. It seems like he's relying on his natural talent which at the next level everyone has.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chali21 wrote:
To be honest, I think Clowney is overrated. I'm not saying he's a bad prospect or player. I just don't see him as a future pro bowl player. He seems to be about the money. I understand he doesn't want to injure himself and get dropped in the draft, but he's not showing himself as someone who was a passion for the game. It seems like he's relying on his natural talent which at the next level everyone has.

His natural talent is once in a generation type however.

Of course he will need to work hard at the next level. But when he's in an NFL program, his motivation will be higher.

Right now, he knows he could play NFL ball. He's getting ridiculous amounts of attention each week playing against double and triple blocks. Playing teams who are scheming away from him and taking him away. That's got to be frustrating.

In the NFL, he can play his game with help from professional teammates. He won't be subject to all the on field attention, doubles, etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: