Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers Cut WR Chris Harper
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
big9erfan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 49ers Cut WR Chris Harper Reply with quote

DirtyJersey9er wrote:
49ersfan wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:
So much for the Delanie Walker 2.0 experiment.

But this likely means we bring up someone from the practice squad, or PUP list.

We had our choice of safeties, except for one and I suppose we could even have traded up for him. We took Reid and he's playing at a near pro bowl level. We also pretty much had our choice of TEs and went out of our way to take McDonald. I sure hope we start seeing a whole lot more of him - and that what we see is near first round talent.

It seems like recently McDonald has been doing well as a blocker. But its a mystery as to why he's so underutilized as a receiver. I don't even see him running routes out there.

They probably make him block more so Davis can go run routes and go out as a WR more.

We 're all complaining about not having WRs. Well look what NE did with 2 TEs the year they had little in the way of WRs.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 49ers Cut WR Chris Harper Reply with quote

AndyLeesAunt wrote:
DirtyJersey9er wrote:
49ersfan wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

We had our choice of safeties, except for one and I suppose we could even have traded up for him. We took Reid and he's playing at a near pro bowl level. We also pretty much had our choice of TEs and went out of our way to take McDonald. I sure hope we start seeing a whole lot more of him - and that what we see is near first round talent.

It seems like recently McDonald has been doing well as a blocker. But its a mystery as to why he's so underutilized as a receiver. I don't even see him running routes out there.

They probably make him block more so Davis can go run routes and go out as a WR more.

I think the issue with my guy Vance is a combination of our extensive playbook and the simple fact that he isn't a very polished route runner.

I keep hearing about our "giant playbook". Are there any references that verify ours is really any bigger than anyone else's. In any case, it's just not all that hard to learn a few routes. And if he can't run routes then I'm wondering how we picked him out of all of the choices out there - several of whom are seeing more passes thrown their way than him.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 49ers Cut WR Chris Harper Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
AndyLeesAunt wrote:
DirtyJersey9er wrote:
49ersfan wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

I think the issue with my guy Vance is a combination of our extensive playbook and the simple fact that he isn't a very polished route runner.

I keep hearing about our "giant playbook". Are there any references that verify ours is really any bigger than anyone else's. In any case, it's just not all that hard to learn a few routes. And if he can't run routes then I'm wondering how we picked him out of all of the choices out there - several of whom are seeing more passes thrown their way than him.

You could make the same argument about our WR's..
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 49ers Cut WR Chris Harper Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
AndyLeesAunt wrote:
DirtyJersey9er wrote:
49ersfan wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

Jonn232 had an excellent post about it. He mentioned Gruden breaking down our offense saying it had over 20 different formations. That's a lot of different looks, and a lot for a rookie to take in.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 49ers Cut WR Chris Harper Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
AndyLeesAunt wrote:
DirtyJersey9er wrote:
49ersfan wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

Jonn232 had an excellent post about it. He mentioned Gruden breaking down our offense saying it had over 20 different formations. That's a lot of different looks, and a lot for a rookie to take in.

Yeah, I remember that and that's part of what caused me to wonder. I actually don't remember every reading that our offense is much more complicated than other teams. But I know for sure that I just heard a guy on the radio a few days ago saying our pass routes were simpler and less "sophisticated" than many other teams.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 49ers Cut WR Chris Harper Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
AndyLeesAunt wrote:
DirtyJersey9er wrote:
49ersfan wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

Yeah, I remember that and that's part of what caused me to wonder. I actually don't remember every reading that our offense is much more complicated than other teams. But I know for sure that I just heard a guy on the radio a few days ago saying our pass routes were simpler and less "sophisticated" than many other teams.

Seems like it, but I don't have access to all-22 film, so it's difficult to see the routes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: 49ers Cut WR Chris Harper Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
AndyLeesAunt wrote:
DirtyJersey9er wrote:
49ersfan wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

We had our choice of safeties, except for one and I suppose we could even have traded up for him. We took Reid and he's playing at a near pro bowl level. We also pretty much had our choice of TEs and went out of our way to take McDonald. I sure hope we start seeing a whole lot more of him - and that what we se;rst round talent.

Our running game is as sophisticated and diverse as it gets. Our passing concepts are rudimentary and very easy to defend. I've said that since JH became our coach. Our formations and our pre-snap shifts are to make it harder to decipher whether run or pass. But the routes themselves and the overall passing attack leaves alot to be desired. Its one of the reason our red-zone passing has been so putrid since JH got here. We run way too many 'ghost' routes or routes desgn to get other routes open. Alot of routes run to same area way too much also. Route concepts should be designed to stetch the defense, both horizontally and vertically, and then find the holes. Should have routes to beat man and zone built-in to every passing play...yet we dont. Not enough outlet routes from the backs and we don't use option routes, at all from what I can tell.
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hope we can put him on the ps.

new sig... sorry alex
757-NINER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 49ers Cut WR Chris Harper Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

Yea, he's really hitting his stride as a blocker. Just re-watching the Houston and Cards game, it looks like they're asking him to do more of that Delaine, H-Back kind of blocking out on the edge and it looks like he's excelling at it. Roman also mentioned in one of his pressers from last week I think that part of the reason McDonald isn't more invovled in the passing game is over-sight on his part to dial up more plays for him and that he's going to do a better job of that, going forward. But I think the real issue is his QB. CK really doesnt utilize the underneath/short passing like he should. And that's where McDonald's routes usually takes him. I've seen him open often on the underneath routes but CK is focused on pushing the ball further upfield and so he rarely targets him unless he's the primary read. Like against the Cards, the one pass VD caught on the sideline against the CB I believe. You can clearly see McDonald I think it was, come open on a square-in, but CK saw VD was in a favorable match-up his read took him straight there. So its not like McDonald isn't getting open, the ball is just going elsewhere.
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

packers grabbed him off waivers.
he will not have a great season and they have him under contract for 3 years Laughing

new sig... sorry alex
Pugger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:
he will not have a great season and they have him under contract for 3 years Laughing

Oh dear. I poked my head in here to ask what you guys think of this guy. But desperate times call for desperate measures. We have players dropping like flies at an alarming rate this season - even more dire than 2010. Sad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:

Oh dear. I poked my head in here to ask what you guys think of this guy. But desperate times call for desperate measures. We have players dropping like flies at an alarming rate this season - even more dire than 2010. Sad

You might have better luck asking Seahawk fans their opinion of him. We picked him up off waivers from them, but he didn't play a single down for us. They at least got to see him play in preseason. From what little I remember hearing about him, I think he had some trouble catching the ball.

A Big Thanks To PatsDynasty21
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:

that was my bad lol

it was a typo...
should read "he will now*** have a great season and they have him under contract for three years Laughing

new sig... sorry alex
757-NINER

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:

Well we were trying to make him a H-Back. Better luck asking a Hawks fan, as he played WR for them all pre-season.
Forge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:

Can't say much from an NFL perspective, but I will say that I couldn't stand him during the draft process. I was extremely down on him the entire off season. He was never going to be able to create separation as a receiver at the NFL level as a wide out; whether or not he can do that as an H-back/Tight end is a different story, but I wouldn't count on. I also believe that he does not have very good hands at all, which limits him offensively in the passing game. It could just be a lack of focus, but if you're wanting to use him as a weapon in the receiving game, his propensity for dropping the ball could be problematic....

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: