Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Do you think Jerel Worthy plays this season?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
palmy50

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenGold12 wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
ayt wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
Of those prospects, I'd probably release Wilson. He isn't as good as Jolly and he is a FA after the season, IIRC.

I'd much rather just put Worthy, who was terrible last year, on IR.

I don't know if I could go there. Still view Worthy as a very sound prospect. One could make a strong case that DT is as tough a transition from college to pro ball as any of them. He had the same issues many of them do. The pure athletic lean is not enough at the pro level and these lineman will hold the hell out of ya. One of the big reasons why I am not and will never be a fan of small school DL also.

Must say though, Worthy's game plays a little different at this level than I for one felt it would. He is not the pass rusher I'm sure they hoped for. But he is a much better all around player in the run game than I felt he would be and very active in the run game as well unlike college.

Do you think his game could come around as a pass-rusher? His quick jump on the snap stood out so much on his college highlights. With this depth he's almost an afterthought, but remembering the film I watched on him after we drafted him leaves me cautiously excited. As a rotational guy, at least?

Could, but I think he has much better odds of becoming a very active run plug. LIS, my stance on Worthy has change a great deal since draft day. I saw him as a boom or bust type with high end interior pass rush upside on draft day. I don't feel he has high end pass rush ability any longer but do like his odds a great deal more in terms of just being a real sound all around football player. Worthy can get there every now and again and he can sure as hell push the pocket and get the QB off his mark. Just don't see a guy that could move to the 3-technique in a forty and pull down double diget sacks like a Daniels or Jones could, that's all.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No clue what I did with the multiple post there, sorry!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:

Happens when you hit the submit buttons multiple times(I think at least).

On topic:

I'm excited about Worthy's future. I was high on him coming out and I think he showed that he can play a little towards the end of 2012. Palmy, could you see him turning into a Pickett type player except only less stout when 2 gapping & a little more push on the pocket? That might fit perfectly for today's NFL at Pickett's position.

Sig brought to you by Justo
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugLymayNe wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

On topic:

I'm excited about Worthy's future. I was high on him coming out and I think he showed that he can play a little towards the end of 2012. Palmy, could you see him turning into a Pickett type player except only less stout when 2 gapping & a little more push on the pocket? That might fit perfectly for today's NFL at Pickett's position.
Well last year they had him cut weight and tried him in that "RDE" role or more of the pass rusher. I'm not so sure the best thing isn't to tell him to get up to 315-320 and be that "LDE" that does add a little hint of a pass rush. So, I guess I would agree with what you are saying here, more of a Pickett type player and less of a Cullen Jenkins type player.
palmy50

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugLymayNe wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

On topic:

Hard to say how that thing will play out with the contracts on the table right now. I feel they took Worthy to be the guy that Jones is. I did not see it either though and now view him more as a active base end. Do think there is a better chance he takes Jolly's fill though if both Jolly and Pickett are lost. Boyd would then plug in at LE with Raji taking over at 1-tech again.

Hard to say though. Much can happen until camp comes around next year. What they do with Worthy's body will be VERY telling.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else wonder if, knowing what we know now about Jolly, the Packers would still take Datone Jones in the draft?

I don't blame them for not counting on a guy coming of ACL injury or another off suspension when they made that choice, but I'm not sure how they now plan to get what they invested out of Jones and Worthy at this point with Jolly, Raji, Pickett, Daniels, and Neal (if you count him) all playing so well. I'm really not sure they make that pick again.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd strongly consider Hopkins, Ogletree and Elam instead of Jones with our current team.
palmy50

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those things have a habit of playing out though. I have no real issue with the Jones pick. Kid is a real good football player. Only a matter of time before we see value in that pick. Best value pick from TT since Bulaga IMO. Maybe I personally would have liked to have seen this player or that. Not to say TT was wrong in picking Jones though. I have felt there was better value on the boards for TT a few times in the past. Just not the case here. Jones was in my top teir at the time of the pick. At that point it's a matter of choice and I can't fault the man.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
I'd strongly consider Hopkins, Ogletree and Elam instead of Jones with our current team.

I truly believe Jolly was the missing piece, both physically and mentally, and no one could have fathomed that 6 months ago. Jones was the right pick on draft day, but sure would be nice if we could have a do-over as of today. The double whammy would be if we chose not to re-sign a good football player like Jolly and Jones doesn't pan out. I hope Jones does end up with enough reps so the coaching staff has a good read on him. So far you almost have to give him an incomplete for a grade

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this deserves its own thread so I'll try here.

What do you guys think of the Pickett / Raji situation ? With Pickett at end it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that he wouldn't be offered another contract. Now that he is back at NT I think his status becomes more unclear. Same deal with Raji. I don't know if his future is at NT anymore, and you have to wonder what his value is at end with the depth we have. I think they both are better playing their current positions. I never agreed with the change to begin with. I think the waters are muddied regarding their future.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal-El wrote:
Anyone else wonder if, knowing what we know now about Jolly, the Packers would still take Datone Jones in the draft?

I don't blame them for not counting on a guy coming of ACL injury or another off suspension when they made that choice, but I'm not sure how they now plan to get what they invested out of Jones and Worthy at this point with Jolly, Raji, Pickett, Daniels, and Neal (if you count him) all playing so well. I'm really not sure they make that pick again.

Hindsight is always better than foresight. I think the Jones pick was as much for after this year as it was for this year. With the expiring contracts (Pickett, Raji, Wilson, Neal) the shelf needed some restocking for sure.

His ankle sprain in camp has set him back and now is fighting for time with Jolly, Pickett, Raji, Daniels, Wilson all playing well. Fortunate for the team, but no injuries on the DL has opened a door for more playing time.
palmy50

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just it though. If your going to keep the combo of Jolly, Pickett, and Raji around next year it's going to cost ya a pile of bank. LIS, odds are high something will play out and fans will see value in that Jones pick.

Hell, even if they find a way to keep that group around for another year there is a good chance that combo of Jones and Daniels will be very tough to deal with by next season.

If I was told I could have one DL on this roster to start over with in Capers D, Jones would be very high on that list. Very happy that young man is a Packer.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDN40 wrote:

What do you guys think of the Pickett / Raji situation ? With Pickett at end it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that he wouldn't be offered another contract. Now that he is back at NT I think his status becomes more unclear. Same deal with Raji. I don't know if his future is at NT anymore, and you have to wonder what his value is at end with the depth we have. I think they both are better playing their current positions. I never agreed with the change to begin with. I think the waters are muddied regarding their future.

This has been a core issue with me even back to the day they picked Raji. I'll tell ya this though, Raji is the one of that group you don't let get away. I do like Pickett a bit more at the 1-tech right now. But you just can't let a Raji walk out that door.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
SDN40 wrote:

This has been a core issue with me even back to the day they picked Raji. I'll tell ya this though, Raji is the one of that group you don't let get away. I do like Pickett a bit more at the 1-tech. But you just can't let a Raji walk out that door.

So you think letting Pickett go and moving Raji back to NT is the way they will go ? It makes the most sense strictly based on age, but for some reason I am having issues with it. It seems like Pickett is the far better NT. Its almost like you are weakening 2 positions with that move.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
SDN40 wrote:

This has been a core issue with me even back to the day they picked Raji. I'll tell ya this though, Raji is the one of that group you don't let get away. I do like Pickett a bit more at the 1-tech right now. But you just can't let a Raji walk out that door.

Hopefully they can get Pickett for a short cheapish type veteran deal (if they choose to do so), Jolly for a similar deal with all they have shown him over the last few years. I feel Jolly feels pretty grateful and they value his contribution to the run D. Raji is a tougher signing with his youth and size/quicks combo. Wilson is likely gone with Jones, Daniels, Boyd and Worthy back for next year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: