Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Do you think Jerel Worthy plays this season?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gadfly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Do you think Jerel Worthy plays this season? Reply with quote

He sure talk like he plans to play but the team is always so secretive with injuries that he could be getting around in a wheel chair.

Either way, I think we could use him if he is healthy enough for action.
squire12

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you think Jerel Worthy plays this season? Reply with quote

gadfly wrote:
He sure talk like he plans to play but the team is always so secretive with injuries that he could be getting around in a wheel chair.

Either way, I think we could use him if he is healthy enough for action.

I would highly doubt he is activated to the 53 after his PUP time and practice window is done. As of now, the DL is very deep and has no injuries to warrant adding him and likely having to release someone else. Given the injuries at WR and LB (ILB and OLB) the need for another DL just is not there.

Stranger things have happened, but as of now it is not likely.
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the rules on that? If he is fine, but was on PUP, can we stash him on IR just because he doesn't fit the roster until next season?

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
packerjmf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to say. Not much room on the DL right now with Pickett, Raji, Jolly, Jones, Daniels, Wilson, and Boyd. I don't think Boyd sticks around if we try to cut him and put him on the PS. We could cut Wilson I suppose, but he's solid depth as a stout run defender. If someone on the DL gets hurt in the next couple of games then we'd have room for Worthy, but if things stay how they are now then I think we either cut Wilson or IR Worthy for the season.

Last edited by packerjmf on Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of those prospects, I'd probably release Wilson. He isn't as good as Jolly and he is a FA after the season, IIRC.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
vang_evo9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you guys think he'll play if/when he comes back? In terms of base D, I think ideally he would replace Pickett in the future and have a line of Worthy, Jones, Raji?

Last edited by vang_evo9 on Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vang_evo9 wrote:
Where do you guys think he'll play if/when he comes back? In terms of base D, I think ideally he would replace Pickett and have a line of Worthy, Jones, Raji?

He is listed at 308, probably 70 pounds lighter than Pickett Laughing I doubt he fills that role.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

squire12

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
vang_evo9 wrote:
Where do you guys think he'll play if/when he comes back? In terms of base D, I think ideally he would replace Pickett and have a line of Worthy, Jones, Raji?

He is listed at 308, probably 70 pounds lighter than Pickett Laughing I doubt he fills that role.

Agreed. He would need to add a lot to his frame to replace Pickett. Where he plays/how much he plays will be very dependent on who and how many of the FA DL they resign in the offseason.

Raji, Pickett, Wilson, Jolly (Neal, though more OLB than DL at present) I believe are all FA. Jones, Boyd, Daniels being under contract after this year along with Worthy.
Likely that 2 or the 4 "heavy" DL are resigned, maybe even 3 pending $$ it takes.
ayt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squire12 wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
vang_evo9 wrote:

Agreed. He would need to add a lot to his frame to replace Pickett. Where he plays/how much he plays will be very dependent on who and how many of the FA DL they resign in the offseason.

Raji, Pickett, Wilson, Jolly (Neal, though more OLB than DL at present) I believe are all FA. Jones, Boyd, Daniels being under contract after this year along with Worthy.
Likely that 2 or the 4 "heavy" DL are resigned, maybe even 3 pending $$ it takes.

Worthy will never be a replacement for Pickett. He's not a NT. He's not anywhere close to being a NT.

McGinn stated in the end of year review that he got down into the 280's last year.

Worthy is a guy that needed to gain weight and strength coming out of college to be a starting caliber 3-4 DE.
ayt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
Of those prospects, I'd probably release Wilson. He isn't as good as Jolly and he is a FA after the season, IIRC.

I'd much rather just put Worthy, who was terrible last year, on IR.
palmy50

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ayt wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:

I don't know if I could go there. Still view Worthy as a very sound prospect. One could make a strong case that DT is as tough a transition from college to pro ball as any of them. He had the same issues many of them do. The pure athletic lean is not enough at the pro level and these lineman will hold the hell out of ya. One of the big reasons why I am not and will never be a fan of small school DL also.

Must say though, Worthy's game plays a little different at this level than I for one felt it would. He is not the pass rusher I'm sure they hoped for. But he is a much better all around player in the run game than I felt he would be and very active in the run game as well unlike college.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ayt wrote:
squire12 wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
vang_evo9 wrote:

Worthy will never be a replacement for Pickett. He's not a NT. He's not anywhere close to being a NT.

McGinn stated in the end of year review that he got down into the 280's last year.

Worthy is a guy that needed to gain weight and strength coming out of college to be a starting caliber 3-4 DE.

Oh, I meant Pickett at LE. Probably not as good of a run blocker sense CJ started for him.
GreenGold12

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
ayt wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:

I don't know if I could go there. Still view Worthy as a very sound prospect. One could make a strong case that DT is as tough a transition from college to pro ball as any of them. He had the same issues many of them do. The pure athletic lean is not enough at the pro level and these lineman will hold the hell out of ya. One of the big reasons why I am not and will never be a fan of small school DL also.

Must say though, Worthy's game plays a little different at this level than I for one felt it would. He is not the pass rusher I'm sure they hoped for. But he is a much better all around player in the run game than I felt he would be and very active in the run game as well unlike college.

Do you think his game could come around as a pass-rusher? His quick jump on the snap stood out so much on his college highlights. With this depth he's almost an afterthought, but remembering the film I watched on him after we drafted him leaves me cautiously excited. As a rotational guy, at least?
palmy50

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenGold12 wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
ayt wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:

Do you think his game could come around as a pass-rusher? His quick jump on the snap stood out so much on his college highlights. With this depth he's almost an afterthought, but remembering the film I watched on him after we drafted him leaves me cautiously excited. As a rotational guy, at least?

Could, but I think he has much better odds of becoming a very active run plug. LIS, my stance on Worthy has change a great deal since draft day. I saw him as a boom or bust type with high end interior pass rush upside on draft day. I don't feel he has high end pass rush ability any longer but do like his odds a great deal more in terms of just being a real sound all around football player. Worthy can get there every now and again and he can sure as hell push the pocket and get the QB off his mark. Just don't see a guy that could move to the 3-technique in a forty and pull down double diget sacks like a Daniels or Jones could, that's all.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenGold12 wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
ayt wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:

Could, but I think he has much better odds of becoming a very active run plug. LIS, my stance on Worthy has change a great deal since draft day. I saw him as a boom or bust type with high end interior pass rush upside on draft day. I don't feel he has high end pass rush ability any longer but do like his odds a great deal more in terms of just being a real sound all around football player. Worthy can get there every now and again and he can sure as hell push the pocket and get the QB off his mark. Just don't see a guy that could move to the 3-technique in a forty and pull down double diget sacks like a Daniels or Jones could, that's all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: