Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jay Ratliff released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
Not surprised he was released, but the timing is a big surprise.

Something else that came to mind while reading through thread. It's come up a few times before about how strange it is that neither side is really saying much. Given that there appears to be some questions regarding the medical eval. is it possible that things have been so hush-hush because there is a lawsuit coming?

I'm pretty confident in saying that there won't be a lawsuit forthcoming. Today, the agent said some things that were quite contradictory. He said that there were torn tendons and muscle ripped from the bone and that it was a year recovery (from the 2012 injury). Yet, the agent said that Rat voluntarily went to training camp and pulled his hamstring during the conditioning test. So, it seems that Rat considered himself healthy enough to start the season. But, to be fair to Rat, in August Rat said that he's not dealing with a hamstring pull and that the team knew about the problem last December. And, we also know that the team gave him permission to treat the injury with his own team of doctors, etc.

It's clear to me that the Cowboys NEVER thought the 2012 injury was a year long process. They would have never restructured his deal where they pay him for the season up front. And, they wouldn't have put him on the pup list rather than the IR. The agent also said that he has been taking calls from other teams and he's telling them that Rat won't be available until next year... so the injury seems legit and that Rat isn't trying to get out of Dallas to play elsewhere this year.

Which brings us back to the Cowboys... how do they muddy the waters so much? The official reason for the release is that Rat failed a team physical. This tells me that the team doctors CLEARED Rat from the injury but that Rat couldn't pass the team physical. There's a distinction here and it's come up a few times in recent memory. If a football related injury is ongoing... he CANNOT be cut without an injury settlement. Rat wasn't given an injury settlement. He was straight cut. I'm fairly confident the Cowboys medical staff cleared Rat. And, if I'm guessing... Rat probably did not want to pass the physical. IMO that is why he was cut rather than waiting until June 1st next year when it would have made much more economical sense. The Cowboys would rather be done with Rat and perhaps send a message to the team that you are either on board or your not.
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGame316 wrote:
matt79511 wrote:
matt79511 wrote:
Interview with Ratliff's agent:

http://stationcaster.com/stations/krzi/media/mpeg/Mark_Slough_10_16_13-1381962806.mp3

The more that comes out, the more it seems like the FO and medical staff are at fault for misevaluating the situation.

On the other hand...

Quote:
At the same time, Slough said Ratliff had not been “forced” into the conditioning test, though he was reluctant to get into specifics on the matter.

“I don’t know how to characterize it. I don’t how to characterize that as a ‘force’ – I don’t think that’s correct,” Slough said. “He did the test. He probably shouldn’t have done the test. I’m just going to leave it at that.

That's about as cryptic as the things Ratliff was saying at the kickoff luncheon. I mean, really, if his muscle was separated from his pelvis, he obviously shouldn't have participated in a conditioning test. Right? No explanation needed. So why the evasiveness? Why the vagueness? Why would his agent say something like the bolded? And if Ratliff knew he was in Month 8 of a 12 month rehab, and Dallas didn't "force" him to partake in the conditioning test... why did he?

Some things still aren't adding up.

Ratliff is a lazy fat slob who got paid and didn't want the hassle of rehabbing and playing again

Jerry, despite the benefit to releasing Ratliff as a June 1 designate, cut him today to stop payment on his 1.34 million base salary for this season. Peanuts in reality, but Jerry's principle in this situation is obviously "Not one more friggin dime" essentially telling Ratliff to GTFO

You can say a lot about Ratliff, but lazy isn't one of them.

- He didn't rehab around the team, because he got frustrated with the time it took to get healthy. He searched for alternatives that could speed up the process, for him to get back on the field. Nothing lazy about that.
DaBoys

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DKDALfan wrote:
TheGame316 wrote:
matt79511 wrote:
matt79511 wrote:
Interview with Ratliff's agent:

http://stationcaster.com/stations/krzi/media/mpeg/Mark_Slough_10_16_13-1381962806.mp3

The more that comes out, the more it seems like the FO and medical staff are at fault for misevaluating the situation.

On the other hand...

Quote:
At the same time, Slough said Ratliff had not been “forced” into the conditioning test, though he was reluctant to get into specifics on the matter.

“I don’t know how to characterize it. I don’t how to characterize that as a ‘force’ – I don’t think that’s correct,” Slough said. “He did the test. He probably shouldn’t have done the test. I’m just going to leave it at that.

That's about as cryptic as the things Ratliff was saying at the kickoff luncheon. I mean, really, if his muscle was separated from his pelvis, he obviously shouldn't have participated in a conditioning test. Right? No explanation needed. So why the evasiveness? Why the vagueness? Why would his agent say something like the bolded? And if Ratliff knew he was in Month 8 of a 12 month rehab, and Dallas didn't "force" him to partake in the conditioning test... why did he?

Some things still aren't adding up.

Ratliff is a lazy fat slob who got paid and didn't want the hassle of rehabbing and playing again

Jerry, despite the benefit to releasing Ratliff as a June 1 designate, cut him today to stop payment on his 1.34 million base salary for this season. Peanuts in reality, but Jerry's principle in this situation is obviously "Not one more friggin dime" essentially telling Ratliff to GTFO

You can say a lot about Ratliff, but lazy isn't one of them.

- He didn't rehab around the team, because he got frustrated with the time it took to get healthy. He searched for alternatives that could speed up the process, for him to get back on the field. Nothing lazy about that.

I thought the team wanted him back sooner than he was ready?

Matts4313 wrote:
I agree with daboys, some of you might be insane.

The_Slamman wrote:
Daboys is right.

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
BTW, DaBoys wins this thread.
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:
Not surprised he was released, but the timing is a big surprise.

Something else that came to mind while reading through thread. It's come up a few times before about how strange it is that neither side is really saying much. Given that there appears to be some questions regarding the medical eval. is it possible that things have been so hush-hush because there is a lawsuit coming?

I'm pretty confident in saying that there won't be a lawsuit forthcoming. Today, the agent said some things that were quite contradictory. He said that there were torn tendons and muscle ripped from the bone and that it was a year recovery (from the 2012 injury). Yet, the agent said that Rat voluntarily went to training camp and pulled his hamstring during the conditioning test. So, it seems that Rat considered himself healthy enough to start the season. But, to be fair to Rat, in August Rat said that he's not dealing with a hamstring pull and that the team knew about the problem last December. And, we also know that the team gave him permission to treat the injury with his own team of doctors, etc.

It's clear to me that the Cowboys NEVER thought the 2012 injury was a year long process. They would have never restructured his deal where they pay him for the season up front. And, they wouldn't have put him on the pup list rather than the IR. The agent also said that he has been taking calls from other teams and he's telling them that Rat won't be available until next year... so the injury seems legit and that Rat isn't trying to get out of Dallas to play elsewhere this year.

Which brings us back to the Cowboys... how do they muddy the waters so much? The official reason for the release is that Rat failed a team physical. This tells me that the team doctors CLEARED Rat from the injury but that Rat couldn't pass the team physical. There's a distinction here and it's come up a few times in recent memory. If a football related injury is ongoing... he CANNOT be cut without an injury settlement. Rat wasn't given an injury settlement. He was straight cut. I'm fairly confident the Cowboys medical staff cleared Rat. And, if I'm guessing... Rat probably did not want to pass the physical. IMO that is why he was cut rather than waiting until June 1st next year when it would have made much more economical sense. The Cowboys would rather be done with Rat and perhaps send a message to the team that you are either on board or your not.

A general rule for the front office. Don't restructure injured players. You never know what might happen with the injury.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed 100% on what Slam just said, except for one thing: Releasing Ratliff now DOES make the most economical sense, because it completely clears him from their 2015 cap. You know who's a free agent in 2015? Dez Bryant and Tyron Smith.

It screws their 2014 cap, but their only relevant free agent this spring is Jason Hatcher, who many of us are iffy on bringing back due to his age. Bryant and Smith? Yeah, I think we all want them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Clarence Hill ‏@clarencehilljr 1m
Jones said the immediate benefit for the Cowboys regarding the Ratliff release is a psychological one. They know that help is not coming

Quote:
Tim MacMahon ‏@espn_macmahon 33m
Jerry on Ratliff contract: "If I had a legal pad and could show you all the worst decisions I ever made, it's not the worst."

Quote:
Clarence Hill ‏@clarencehilljr 40m
jerry jones said the ratliff contract was not his worst decision..he's made far worse in his lifetime..he said with a smile

Quote:
Tim MacMahon ‏@espn_macmahon 37m
Jerry says he "didn't have the benefit of the information we have today" when they made decisions regarding Jay Ratliff in last year.

^^Kiltman^^
Ace5 wrote:
OH GOD ITS ALL OVER THE WALLS.
ThePlaymaker86

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
Quote:
Clarence Hill ‏@clarencehilljr 1m
Jones said the immediate benefit for the Cowboys regarding the Ratliff release is a psychological one. They know that help is not coming

Quote:
Tim MacMahon ‏@espn_macmahon 33m
Jerry on Ratliff contract: "If I had a legal pad and could show you all the worst decisions I ever made, it's not the worst."

Quote:
Clarence Hill ‏@clarencehilljr 40m
jerry jones said the ratliff contract was not his worst decision..he's made far worse in his lifetime..he said with a smile

Quote:
Tim MacMahon ‏@espn_macmahon 37m
Jerry says he "didn't have the benefit of the information we have today" when they made decisions regarding Jay Ratliff in last year.
Lol, Jerrah
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's right. He-who-must-not-be-named comes to mind.

FRACK! My week is ruined. Evil or Very Mad

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Tony7188

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, Jerry trying to save face for another one of his dumb contracts.

Anyway I'm elated to see that cancer (Jay Ratliff) cut. If Josh Brent wasn't such a fool the Boys would have cut him a year ago.

ware94 wrote:
Gameball: Any remaining Cowboys fans.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony7188 wrote:

Anyway I'm elated to see that cancer (Jay Ratliff) cut. If Josh Brent wasn't such a fool the Boys would have cut him a year ago.

What I hope, more than anything, is that Joan will finally realize that it's bad business to agree to such horrid contracts. It can set a team back for quite a while due to the cap ramifications, and it prevents the team from finding an immediate replacement because albatross deals basically guarantee starting jobs because the economics factors in more than it should.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Tony7188 wrote:

What I hope, more than anything, is that Joan will finally realize that it's bad business to agree to such horrid contracts. It can set a team back for quite a while due to the cap ramifications, and it prevents the team from finding an immediate replacement because albatross deals basically guarantee starting jobs because the economics factors in more than it should.

You know... It would be one thing if he was restructuring contracts in an attempt to make glory days last as long as possible. It's another thing to mortgage future salary caps to stay in the middle. It's just foolish.
htfryar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
I, for one, loved Rat. Often times the unsung hero for our defense who delivered time and time again, despite the odds.

It is shocking to see him released like he was, but necessary. I wish him a speedy recovery and lot's of Anger Management.

Really? To me, the only thing shocking about it is that it didn't happen sooner.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
I, for one, loved Rat. Often times the unsung hero for our defense who delivered time and time again, despite the odds.

It is shocking to see him released like he was, but necessary. I wish him a speedy recovery and lot's of Anger Management.

Really? To me, the only thing shocking about it is that it didn't happen sooner.

"like he was" I can't recall the last time a PUP individual who is a projected starter is released without ever playing a snap.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
retrolock

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one's talking about how Ratliff was medically cleared to play by Dr Myers?

I guess we have moved on Smile

edit: http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=533964 its here
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrolock wrote:
No one's talking about how Ratliff was medically cleared to play by Dr Myers?

I guess we have moved on Smile

edit: http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=533964 its here

Shameful. Simply shameful. For both sides.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: