Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hakeem Nicks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
santiagomn8

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Hakeem Nicks Reply with quote

So I have been thinking about this for awhile and I am starting to think trading for Nicks would be an amazing move for us. I know he is in the last year of his contract and will demand big money but I think that with releasing a few players and restructuring some contracts we can sign Nicks, Monroe, and Pitta. Everyone else would leave but I think those are acceptable losses. This would give us a prover receiver and a beast I mite add. Don't get me wrong I like our young core but when we can add a player of Nicks level for possibly a 3rd you gotta take that opportunity. What do you guys think?
NJ Raven

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather try to grow a set of homegrown WRs. Plus he's complained about his contract since the summer so you know he's going to want some serious dough. Dough that will likely be headed towards Monroe and maybe Torrey.
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was mad we didn't take him over Oher.hes an awesome player. But he's been injured too much.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a huge Hakeem Nicks fan, but I just don't think it would work here. He's too oft-injured, he's kind of a diva, and he's going to want a huge contract.

None of those are what we are looking for in a WR.

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't think the receivers are any part of the problem the Ravens have at the moment.

Torrey Smith has had a great year so far, Marlon Brown has exceeded all expectations (and then some!), and even Tandon Doss has come back and made several big plays.

Jacoby and Deonte have been hurt, so I'll give them more time, but they've still both shown up in the passing game, when on the field.

The problems stem from the offensive playcalls, and the stalled running game, which means opposing defenses can just lock down on the WRs because they know that they don't have to worry too much about Rice or Pierce.

Plus, Nicks is injury prone and would command too high a salary for the Ravens to afford.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mid round pick (when we already gave up 4 & 5) + big contract (we'd have to restructure contracts meaning even tighter cap situation in 1-2 years, just went Flacco's deal gets hefty) + often injured WR = no thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's better WR talent in the draft... talent that we can actually get a cheap rookie contract out of.

Signing Nicks would mean we won't be able to resign Torrey... and yeah, Torrey Smith is better than Nicks. Plus I'm sure he'll be much more willing to give a discount than Nicks.

Plus, it would be very difficult for Nicks to come in and learn the offense mid-season.

I honestly don't see much reason to do such a deal. That deal would be incredibly short sighted.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
There's better WR talent in the draft... talent that we can actually get a cheap rookie contract out of.

Signing Nicks would mean we won't be able to resign Torrey... and yeah, Torrey Smith is better than Nicks. Plus I'm sure he'll be much more willing to give a discount than Nicks.

Plus, it would be very difficult for Nicks to come in and learn the offense mid-season.

I honestly don't see much reason to do such a deal. That deal would be incredibly short sighted.

Getting beyond the usual debunks of hometown discount, etc. we should be able to get Torrey for below market this offseason because he has a year left on his rookie deal and we can block him from ufa for three years total.

Does help that he's from the dmv and went to umd, though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah as much as I like Nicks I don't see why the Ravens should spend anything to acquire him. They're already going to be tight up against the cap and Nicks is definitely going to want/get a fairly sizable deal. Baltimore won't be able to afford him, especially after dealing to acquire Monroe. That would leave them with Nicks as an expensive rental (since they already dealt their mid round picks away) and that's not going to happen.

I actually really like where the WR group is. They could use a bonafide #2 starter but they're talented and deep enough to get by barring a bunch of injuries which isn't out of the question as we've seen. After this year they're left with Smith, Brown, Thompson, and Mellette under contract since Jones, Doss, and Stokley are free agents. Add one in from a fairly high pick in the draft and that's a legitimately talented WR corps in my opinion.
Nucky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Id trade for him and Tony Gonzo and pray the line improves.
"Fellas, I can tolerate arrogance, conceit, greed but self-pity is the one thing that just chaps my a--. We've experienced difficulty, but I will not tolerate, nor be part of, anything resembling self-pity."- Brian Billick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: