Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Trade Deadline Options
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patsfan25

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Trade Deadline Options Reply with quote

Deadline is week 8 I believe. Of course, given history and trend it's most likely BB who pulls something out of his sleeve especially given our substantial needs at a few key positions. Here are some options that seem to make the most sense. This is all just spit-balling. Do not attack me with bolded and sharpened letters....

Fred Davis (TE) - I haven't payed much attention to him to be honest but it looks like he's on a major phase out in Washington. The rookie Reed has beaten him out, possibly even Paulsen. Fred Davis was killing it just before the injury and he hasn't seemed to be the same since.

Zach Miller (TE) - The Seahawks continue to ignore him even with their struggles in the passing game. I think he can be revived greatly here.

Others: Tony Moeaki, Brent Celek,

Miles Austin (WR) - He's been injured and bothered by an old hamstring and looks expandable with Terrance Williams and Dwayne Harris on the team. The Cowboys don't seem to miss him much anymore. Miles is a very precise and intricate Receiver and I think he has the best chance at picking things up of all the candidate WRs if he were to come here.

Others: Hakeem Nicks, Kenny Britt, Nate Washington

Domata Peko (DT): I don't know much about him or if the Bengals use him as a NT, but he seems like an under the radar guy that just makes sense.

Linval Joseph (DT): Again, I don't know too much about him but I've seen him mentioned a couple of times on here.

Anyone else?

Aite,

peace.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playoff contenders aren't going to trade quality depth players for marginal draft picks unless it's a disgruntled player (e.g. Britt)

Picking up a DT or TE makes sense but there aren't many realistic trade partners out there. The Giants make the most sense as a partner.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, Linval Joseph makes the most sense. Good solid player, veteran, fills a need, and would not cost a ton. I have to think NYG is ready to call it a season and look towards next year. Nicks sounds good but I do not see it happening.

On an unrelated note, it is insane the Falcons do not want to trade Gonzalez. He is done after this year, someone would want him. Sentimentality does not help you win in the NFL. I am not saying I want him or that the Pats should get him......just saying I do not get not wanting to trade him if a decent offer came along.
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most teams would be all over the deadline losing so many key starters, but the Patriots have the next man up mentality. Im not sure I expect anything at the deadline.

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linval Joseph for a 4th or a 3rd - would you do one of those?

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
dhunt2402

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do both of those.

Deadpulse on the sig
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
Linval Joseph for a 4th or a 3rd - would you do one of those?

I don't know that I'd do a 3rd. He's a UFA and almost certain to sign elsewhere. If Kelly is out long term, I'd consider it but Kelly/Jones is good enough where I wouldn't give up a 3rd for 3-4 months of (at best) slight upgrade.

I'm all for trading picks for veteran help but Joseph isn't a huge upgrade if he's playing NT and I'd prefer either a guy signed for next year or a guy who will provide more impact. Jones has shown enough to keep getting snaps and sub D work IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only guy that makes sense to me is Linval Joseph, but I don't think the Giants would let him go too easily. He's young enough to be around until they are a good team again. I'd give a 3rd for him if they could agree to a reasonable extension as well. He could fill the Wilfork role the rest of this season and then help limit Wilfork's snaps in his return from injury next season. Hypothetically, a 3-4 defense of Joseph, Wilfork, Kelly; Ninkovich, Hightower, Mayo, Jones (yes, at OLB) would be basically impossible to run against and I don't think it'd be nearly as bad against the pass as people would think.

While I'm far from ready to give up on this season, I think it's safe to say that the Pats aren't one player away from being the clear favorites to win the Super Bowl, and that's the only time I'd want to give up a high pick for an old or rental player.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
The only guy that makes sense to me is Linval Joseph, but I don't think the Giants would let him go too easily. He's young enough to be around until they are a good team again. I'd give a 3rd for him if they could agree to a reasonable extension as well. He could fill the Wilfork role the rest of this season and then help limit Wilfork's snaps in his return from injury next season. Hypothetically, a 3-4 defense of Joseph, Wilfork, Kelly; Ninkovich, Hightower, Mayo, Jones (yes, at OLB) would be basically impossible to run against and I don't think it'd be nearly as bad against the pass as people would think.

While I'm far from ready to give up on this season, I think it's safe to say that the Pats aren't one player away from being the clear favorites to win the Super Bowl, and that's the only time I'd want to give up a high pick for an old or rental player.

Yeah I would never do Joseph and Wilfork together on the field on passing downs. But right now we need a nose tackle. Joseph is a very good nose tackle. A 4th for a rental would be ideal for me. The Giants can resign him after the season to a long term deal and keep the pick.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
dhunt2402

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
Sciz wrote:

Yeah I would never do Joseph and Wilfork together on the field on passing downs. But right now we need a nose tackle. Joseph is a very good nose tackle. A 4th for a rental would be ideal for me. The Giants can resign him after the season to a long term deal and keep the pick.

Why not? Every time I watch the Giants he always seems to get a really solid pass rush going, really good penetration. Him and Wilfork in a 2-4-5 on passing downs would be really freaking good IMO.

Deadpulse on the sig
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhunt2402 wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
Sciz wrote:

Why not? Every time I watch the Giants he always seems to get a really solid pass rush going, really good penetration. Him and Wilfork in a 2-4-5 on passing downs would be really freaking good IMO.

Taking Kelly off the field on pass downs in a 2 man front seems like a waste or are you thinking he would be cut if Joseph were acquired and re-signed?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
dhunt2402 wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
Sciz wrote:

Taking Kelly off the field on pass downs in a 2 man front seems like a waste or are you thinking he would be cut if Joseph were acquired and re-signed?

Yeah I'm thinking long term. But if we do keep Kelly, that gives us the luxury of rotating Vince out instead of playing him at the 90% of total snaps rate that we have in recent years, which is going to become more of a necessity as he ages.

Deadpulse on the sig
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cowobys fan here. Pardon the intrusion, I did not mean to troll. I have a question: Would the Pats being willing to trade for D. Ware? And if so, what do you think they would offer?
Sciz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rtnldave wrote:
Cowobys fan here. Pardon the intrusion, I did not mean to troll. I have a question: Would the Pats being will ing to trade for D. Ware? And if so, what do you think they would offer?
Wouldn't happen. They've got both starting ends locked up for a few years, and Ware's cap hit is too big to try to fit under the cap next season.
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:
Cowobys fan here. Pardon the intrusion, I did not mean to troll. I have a question: Would the Pats being will ing to trade for D. Ware? And if so, what do you think they would offer?
Wouldn't happen. They've got both starting ends locked up for a few years, and Ware's cap hit is too big to try to fit under the cap next season.

Thats what I figured, just thought I'd ask. Thank you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: