Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 7 NE v. NY 'Didn't they just play eachother?' GD Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdelaney89 wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:
NinjaZX6R wrote:

Even if that's no pushing, it's roughing the snapper. It would be interesting to review all kicks this weekend to see how many times this went on.

I was listening to ESPN NY earlier and apparently someone is reporting that Rex Ryan tipped off the officials before the kick about watching for that penalty. Rex hasn't come out and said this is true or not yet but that would explain why this is the first time we've seen this penalty. Now that is unfair because the officials should have been watching for this on every kick across the board, but man if this is true that might be Rex's best in game move.

I wonder if that affected his decision to kick the FG. It was a very low chance of success kick, maybe he thought it was a good bet to pick up 15 free yards.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdelaney89 wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:
NinjaZX6R wrote:

Even if that's no pushing, it's roughing the snapper. It would be interesting to review all kicks this weekend to see how many times this went on.

I was listening to ESPN NY earlier and apparently someone is reporting that Rex Ryan tipped off the officials before the kick about watching for that penalty. Rex hasn't come out and said this is true or not yet but that would explain why this is the first time we've seen this penalty. Now that is unfair because the officials should have been watching for this on every kick across the board, but man if this is true that might be Rex's best in game move.

Also, according to Willie Colon, the Patriots were warned about it earlier in the game after they did the same thing.
Sciz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Also, according to Willie Colon, the Patriots were warned about it earlier in the game after they did the same thing.
Which has been refuted by multiple Patriots players.
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
rdelaney89 wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:
NinjaZX6R wrote:

I wonder if that affected his decision to kick the FG. It was a very low chance of success kick, maybe he thought it was a good bet to pick up 15 free yards.

I'm not sure if that was the deciding factor to kick there just cause Folk was perfect on kicks all season and that is also his career long. Now I'm sure regardless of where that kick was from Rex would have said to look for the penalty.

Around the Horn just brought up the possibility that Rob Ryan picked up on it last week and tipped off Rex before the game. I don't know if any of these accusations are true but talk about hiding an ace in your sleeve. (or I guess the potential of having an ace up your sleeve)
mission27

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy Brown wrote:
mission27 wrote:
Broncos have great weapons but Gronk, Amendola, Edelman, Dobson, KT, and Vereen is really not bad. No reason Brady can't work with that group. He just has to realize he's not working with Manning's weapons and they aren't going to bail him out as often.

Those aren't bad options but we aren't playing on paper and the only two guys on that list that have been active all year have been Edelman and KT. Not fair to compare.

Oh of course. I'm not trying to say Brady should have 30 TDs or whatever Manning's at right now. I understand why he's having trouble getting it together with a bunch of non-names and young guys and injured studs. I'm just saying you don't need to throw a perfect deep ball to score points. And I would argue that (even with the injuries) Brady's throwing to a more talented group of guys than he was prior to 2007 or after Moss left in 2009. If this offense gets healthy it has the potential to put up a crap load of points. And even if it's not healthy it should still be competitive. Brady's the GOAT and he has solid weapons. He can and should and I believe will get it together.

thelawoffices wrote:
I mean my dog died, then her mice died, then her grandma died, then my granpa died.

#JDI
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mission27s. And I would argue that (even with the injuries) Brady's throwing to a more talented group of guys than he was prior to 2007 or after Moss left in 2009. [/quote]

Moss left in 2010.

2009 he had Moss, Welker, Faulk, Watson, Edelman
2010 he had Welker, Gronkowksi, Hernandez, Branch, Woodhead
2011 he had Welker, Gronkowski, Hernandez, Branch, Woodhead
2012 he had Welker, Gronkowski, Hernandez, Lloyd, Woodhead, Edelman

In every one of those year's he has had one or two elite targets and a solid #3 target (Faulk wasn't a game breaker by any means but he was reliable and Brady was very comfortable with him).

This year he has one injured elite talent and a bunch of unknowns and mediocrities. There's nobody on this team close to Welker, Moss or Hernandez (or even Lloyd). Vereen, if he can get and stay healthy, will be a nice weapon. Dobson/Thompkins/Amendola are question marks at best.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh. Completely messed up on that one. Guess in it's current form this is the worst group he's had since 2006. I remember a gap between Moss leaving and the tight ends emerging but I guess there really wasn't one.

Of course when healthy Danny and Gronk is just as good a 1/2 as Welker and Gronk were back then. Perhaps better. We don't have a number three liker Hernandez but we do have much more depth than we did circa 2010... Edelman's been excellent, Collie is looking promising, I'm a big fan of Dobson, KT is hit or miss but there's a lot of talent there, and Vereen out of the backfield is more complete than Woodhead. Not to mention Boyce if he ever hits the field.

Things were tough the first few weeks of the season. We'll have to see what this offense looks like with Vereen and Amendola back.

thelawoffices wrote:
I mean my dog died, then her mice died, then her grandma died, then my granpa died.

#JDI
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This current group has more POTENTIAL than any crew he has had since 2007. In terms of "ready talent", it is still pretty good if you count healthy Gronk & Dola.
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
jofos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="NextBigThing"]This current group has more POTENTIAL than any crew he has had since 2007. In terms of "ready talent", it is still pretty good if you count healthy Gronk & Dola.

Potential means they aren't there yet and may never be.
Alexx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the topic of the offense being more focused on the deep pass this season, I looked up Brady's passing tendencies last season vs this season. Note that these stats are for where each ball was thrown to, not how much yardage was gained per play:

throws behind LOS: 11%
0-9 yards: 56%
10-19 yards: 19%
20+ yards: 14%

throws behind LOS: 10% (-1%)
0-9 yards: 53% (-3%)
10-19 yards: 23% (+4%)
20+ yards: 14% (NC)

I wouldn't call that a drastic change from last season.
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://snyjets.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/output_h09qz3.gif?w=750

Here is another angle of the Jets play that some thought was an infraction. You can clearly see he is engaged with another player here not pushing a teammate.
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading that Jamie Collins had three pressures as an outside rusher early on, was subbed out when Jets went run heavy - but it's a sign that we're willing him to use him a little differently.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexx wrote:
On the topic of the offense being more focused on the deep pass this season, I looked up Brady's passing tendencies last season vs this season. Note that these stats are for where each ball was thrown to, not how much yardage was gained per play:

throws behind LOS: 11%
0-9 yards: 56%
10-19 yards: 19%
20+ yards: 14%

throws behind LOS: 10% (-1%)
0-9 yards: 53% (-3%)
10-19 yards: 23% (+4%)
20+ yards: 14% (NC)

I wouldn't call that a drastic change from last season.

Those numbers are totally useless without context.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56
Page 56 of 56

Jump to: