Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

I think our best chance to make this roster better is...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GMENNATION

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: I think our best chance to make this roster better is... Reply with quote

Letting Linval Joseph go.

Not due to lack of ability, I like Joseph a lot BUT he is going to command a lot of money and I don't think it is worth it. I think we need to take a chance and see what these other guys can do.

If you let Joseph go, you have a rotation of Hankins, Jenkins, Patterson, and Kuhn (assuming Rogers is done after this season). So take a chance on Hankins. We thought highly enough of him to draft him. If he tanks, we worry about it in another year or so. Instead let's spend out money on positions we consistently neglect.

Enough of saying our defense revolves around a great DL and that's where we should be putting our money. We consistently put top picks toward the DL and we are terrible on defense. It obviously is not working.

The league has changed from a few years ago. The ball is coming out of the QBs hand quicker than ever. The reason our pass rush is not getting there is because guys are open more quickly against our DB and LB.

Yes, Linval is a very good player and one of our best defensive guys. But I just don't think it is smart to continue to pour money into the DL.

Thoughts??

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: I think our best chance to make this roster better is... Reply with quote

GMENNATION wrote:
Letting Linval Joseph go.

Not due to lack of ability, I like Joseph a lot BUT he is going to command a lot of money and I don't think it is worth it. I think we need to take a chance and see what these other guys can do.

If you let Joseph go, you have a rotation of Hankins, Jenkins, Patterson, and Kuhn (assuming Rogers is done after this season). So take a chance on Hankins. We thought highly enough of him to draft him. If he tanks, we worry about it in another year or so. Instead let's spend out money on positions we consistently neglect.

Enough of saying our defense revolves around a great DL and that's where we should be putting our money. We consistently put top picks toward the DL and we are terrible on defense. It obviously is not working.

The league has changed from a few years ago. The ball is coming out of the QBs hand quicker than ever. The reason our pass rush is not getting there is because guys are open more quickly against our DB and LB.

Yes, Linval is a very good player and one of our best defensive guys. But I just don't think it is smart to continue to pour money into the DL.

Thoughts??

Except when you look at the decline of our defense, it coincides perfectly with the decline of the defensive line. Whether we're spending draft picks there or not, the guys aren't producing. Not hitting on our draft picks is the real problem, not the positions we're drafting... and you want to let get go of one of the few picks that has actually produced in the last several years?

I'm not saying we have to keep Joseph, but if we let him go it better be because he's getting offered more money than he deserves.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We put our money in the DL and DB's when it comes to our defense. The two guys people complain the most about in regards to contracts are Webster and Rolle.

Secondly I believe the best way to fix our team (in regards to a single position improvement that will provide the most impact) is OT. We can then put Pugh at guard which improves our tackle AND guard situations. Ideally we can get a center too. I think that would really improve our offense as it would make Eli more comfortable in the pocket AND improve our run game.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your solution to fix our old and bad is to release our 25 year old DT because he MAY consume a lot of money.

What other guys are you referring to? The would be 33 year old Cullen Jenkins? The would be 31 year old Mike Patterson?

Lets see how much money Joseph wants before we just throw him awy
Gmen4ev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its simple... we kidnap the golden boy.

Not a Knicks fan
reckless123

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.

You had me thinking that it was a big announcement. But it turns out you want Joseph gone.

"I'm not in the danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
IR0NM1KE

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep Linval Joseph. Tuck won't be a Giants after this season.
bigblew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Restructure Eli and Rolle
Sign a LT & C
Cut Baas and move Beatty to RT Pugh to RG keep Boothe one more year
Draft needs DE OLB OL DB RB TE
I think we will have cap space it's time to start signing good FAs and not stop gap bargain basement trash
Also start hitting on rounds 3-7 of draft stop drafting projects that don't pan out(Austin Jernigan GJones McCants Moseley Robinson Taylor Sash etc etc)
GMENNATION

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
Your solution to fix our old and bad is to release our 25 year old DT because he MAY consume a lot of money.

What other guys are you referring to? The would be 33 year old Cullen Jenkins? The would be 31 year old Mike Patterson?

Lets see how much money Joseph wants before we just throw him awy

All I'm saying is we should not commit more of our cap to the DL. Would we be that much worse with Jenkins Hankins Patterson and Kuhn? Does Joseph make us that much better?

Clearly not because we are still getting torched. Don't get me wrong. He is clearly our best DT and I'd love to keep him at the right price. But even if it's a couple million dollars extra we have to spend on areas that stand to gain more by adding a solid body, I'd prefer we do that.

I don't think he makes or breaks our DL.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joseph is young and is a pick that has panned out. A run-stuffing (who does little rushing the passer) DT could be resigned for roughly $4.25 million/year. Considering we have a good amount of cap room in 2014 and the cap will spike in 2015 with new TV contracts, there isn't a good reason not to resign him. We have Big Hank, but Patterson is a FA and Jenkins only has 1 year left.

RB- Sign a young timeshare RB, like Toby Gerhart. Draft a 2-4 Round RB who could contribute in the pass game.

WR- Tag Nicks and lets see what the offers or work out a long-term deal. At worst, we can get a high pick and/or draft a replacement with Nicks for another year.

TE- Draft a polished TE and pick-up another on a show-me contract. "JPP of TEs" has been hurt so we don't know what he have yet.

OL- Cut Baas. Either sign a top C or draft 1 and sign Boothe to show him the ropes. I like Alex Mack, C is a tough position to develop because of the mental aspect so he'd be worth it. Restructure Snee, too much OL turnover is just as toxic as bad players. Draft a OT high and move Pugh to G. Signing a OT like Veldheer (who'd I be shocked made it to the open market anyway) is often overly expensive when paired with expensive Beatty.

DL- Keep Joseph, resign Patterson. Tuck is gone, draft another DE to groom like DaMonster again.

LB- resign Beason for an incentive-laden deal to be a MLB thumper. Draft a LB in 2-4. Maybe resign Rivers. Still have Paysinger and JWill. Maybe, considering our DC, move Cooper Taylor to LB.

S- Restructure Rolle. He isn't a top player, but he is a vocal leader that team needs. Resign Stevie Brown on a show-me/incentive contract. Hope Weed Hill stays out of trouble and becomes a starter. Resign Mundy.

CB- Prince is our #1. Sign an emerging Alterraun Verner and Ross. Hosley can be a solid nickel if healthy, but he never is. Bring in a nickel CB type as well, there are options like D.J. Moore and Dominique Franks to fill that role.

ST- Draft a KR/PR late or sign one on the cheap. Sign [insert non-Josh Brown vet here] who can also kickoff well enough.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: