You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 7: VIKINGS (1-4) vs. Giants (0-6)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35, 36, 37  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moss_is_1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:

I really can't even remember one good looking pass from Cassell all game. Everything was an ordinary pass
I remember one nice looking pass to Rudolph down the field, think it was between the corner and safety on an out pattern?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Fobos wrote:
disaacs wrote:
I'll be interested to see how Freeman fares. At worst, he'll be just as inconsistent as they are.

Given his lack of familiarity with the coaches, scheme, and receivers, and the fact that he is a question mark in the first place... I think he could play significantly worse than Ponder and Cassel right out the door. I would expect that to improve with time, but this week could be really bad. In fact, I think the next several games will require the fans to have some MAJOR patience.

I don't agree. The playbook appeared to be limited for Ponder, so I can't imagine it's going to be all that different for Freeman (although it might be a little thinner). Now, as far as the timing with the receivers, that might certainly be an issue, but Ponder didn't have any timing with them either. Laughing

Thx to Lil Uno!
milanb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Desperate times call for desperate measures. If you believe that Ponder and Cassel aren't long term starters, there isn't a single negative consequence on giving Freeman a shot at this point.

OK, but what's the upside? Freeman plays well enough to save Rick Spielman's job, deny the Vikings a shot at a top QB talent in next year's draft by winning a few more games, and command a fat new contract?

Brick wall

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
PeteyPercyPonde

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
PeteyPercyPonde wrote:
Sir Fobos wrote:
disaacs wrote:
I'll be interested to see how Freeman fares. At worst, he'll be just as inconsistent as they are.

Given his lack of familiarity with the coaches, scheme, and receivers, and the fact that he is a question mark in the first place... I think he could play significantly worse than Ponder and Cassel right out the door. I would expect that to improve with time, but this week could be really bad. In fact, I think the next several games will require the fans to have some MAJOR patience.

Honestly I don't think the offense will be any worse than last week. Playing a team that's very bad against and pass. What is significantly worse than Cassel last week?

Outside of the last drive which he was 6-9 and 89 yards against backups and 3rd string players he was 26-35 for 152 yards, 0 TD 2 INT. High completion percentage but a mix of check downs, screens and passes short of the sticks.

I really can't even remember one good looking pass from Cassell all game. Everything was an ordinary pass

I'm okay going in this game with Freeman as the starter and Ponder as the backup. It really can't get much worse.

I'll be surprised though if we win this game.

I'm guessing the playbook will be limited. No reason to try to jam too much in with such little time. With the Giants run defense and Freeman's little knowledge of the team, me thinks Adrian has a big day.

Would anyone be opposed to a jammed 8 in the box play action post bomb to Patterson on the 1st play from scrimmage? Very Happy
Zephiel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELP

Never a dull day in the life of a Vikings fan, am I right?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Desperate times call for desperate measures. If you believe that Ponder and Cassel aren't long term starters, there isn't a single negative consequence on giving Freeman a shot at this point.

OK, but what's the upside? Freeman plays well enough to save Rick Spielman's job, deny the Vikings a shot at a top QB talent in next year's draft by winning a few more games, and command a fat new contract?

Brick wall

If Freeman does play well and the Vikings start winning games directly because of his arm, how is this a bad thing. If you don't want to give him a big contract, use the franchise tag and make him play on a one year deal. Cap shouldn't be an issue next year. And top Qbs? You're much too flattering on next years qb class, most of the juniors end up going back to school. You're probably looking at a two qb first round followed by a bunch of project qbs.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:

If Freeman does play well and the Vikings start winning games directly because of his arm, how is this a bad thing. If you don't want to give him a big contract, use the franchise tag and make him play on a one year deal. Cap shouldn't be an issue next year. And top Qbs? You're much too flattering on next years qb class, most of the juniors end up going back to school. You're probably looking at a two qb first round followed by a bunch of project qbs.

The Vikings would be crazy to franchise Freeman, because that would mean they would have to pay him Top 5 QB money for one year.

They'd be even crazier to give him a long-term contract given the poor play and maturity issues that have plagued his career.

In any event this course of events is extremely unlikely. Given his level of play at Tampa Bay I don't see him as a major improvement over Ponder or Cassel. The only real benefit to starting Freeman is that he has a big arm that can take advantage of the single coverage generated by #28. The problem is that he hasn't had the reps, and I have serious reservations about the Freeman's headspace right now.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
Klomp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Uno wrote:
I'm with Fran on this one. This puts Freeman and the team in a bad situation and comes off as extremely desperate.

This move makes more sense if our QB play was crippling the team, and outside of the Chicago game that hasn't been the case. With the way the defense is playing, the team is going to have to put up 35+ points to win games. That just isn't realistic for Freeman after two weeks.

I suppose you can still evaluate Freeman in a losing effort, but it's hard to justify going forward with him if we can't win games. Overall, the organization is a mess right now and this reeks of desperation.

Maybe not, but he has a far better chance than Ponder or Cassel to do it.

Ponder and Cassel will always be game managers. Freeman has the potential to be more.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
If you don't want to give him a big contract, use the franchise tag and make him play on a one year deal.

The franchise tag this past offseason was $14.6 million. Too rich for me, even on a one year deal.

I believe Spielman has identified Freeman as the guy he wants to lead this team going forward. It would take a major failure for him to not be brought back next year IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zephiel wrote:
WELP

Never a dull day in the life of a Vikings fan, am I right?

Thou art right.

"Live as brave men; and if Fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts." -- Cicero
Freakout

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the big deal. Musgrave is running a college offense anyway - a simplified one at that. You'll find restaurant menu's more detailed than his playbook.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
If you don't want to give him a big contract, use the franchise tag and make him play on a one year deal.

The franchise tag this past offseason was $14.6 million. Too rich for me, even on a one year deal.

I believe Spielman has identified Freeman as the guy he wants to lead this team going forward. It would take a major failure for him to not be brought back next year IMO.

If Freeman plays well, id rather pay him $14M for one year than risk losing him. What if Freeman does play well, turns his career around, and goes to another team and becomes a top 10-15ish QB? Wouldnt Spielman then look foolish in that he got the QB he coveted all along and failed to keep him around at whatever cost.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Klomp wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

If Freeman plays well, id rather pay him $14M for one year than risk losing him. What if Freeman does play well, turns his career around, and goes to another team and becomes a top 10-15ish QB? Wouldnt Spielman then look foolish in that he got the QB he coveted all along and failed to keep him around at whatever cost.

I'm going to agree with vikingsrule here. If he plays well then he will be worth it, especially with the problems the defense has had. Then all we would need to do is get some more pieces for that defense. Even though I think injuries and scheming is the main problem with the D.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem with the defense seems to be the interior (DT and MLB) against the run and Josh Robinson. In the secondary, Rhodes has been good and Cook has been solid. If MN had a competent slot CB, they probably wouldnt be getting burned as much as they are. Strong Safety play could be improved, but Sanford isnt the liability that Robinson has become.

Every week we have been hoping for Rhodes to jump into a starting role and for Sherels to take over at slot/nickel CB. Hopefully this will be the week! Though I expect MN to play a ton of nickel this week, unlike last week.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start a QB you picked up off the street after 1 week of learning, er, possibly learning some of the playbook?

Sounds like a recipe for tanking for a top draft slot.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 4 of 37

Jump to: