Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the bye week looming… 3 questions regarding the future:
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: With the bye week looming… 3 questions regarding the future: Reply with quote

We have a while now to soak in what was a heartbreaking loss to the Pats on Sunday. While I’m still livid about what transpired in that contest, I am still proud of our team and how they battled… Foxborough is not an easy place to win and to me (and I know this is just my opinion) the best team didn’t come away with the win in that game.

Now, moving on…

We have tons of time later to discuss our next matchup with Buffalo but what I’d rather do now is discuss what each of our thoughts are thus far on the future of the franchise and which players may or may not be a part of it. Also, where exactly do our needs lye? Many of us have a lot of difference of opinions on this subject and we still have 10 games to go and I understand a lot can change but looking at the 6 game sample we’ve seen… here are a few topics to discuss.

1. Which veterans are clearly playing their last season in the black and gold?
To me, 4 players jump off the depth chart for me when this question is asked. Will Smith, Jonathan Vilma, Roman Harper and Jabari Greer are clearly in this group in my opinion. Besides the fact that the salary cap will play a huge part in these players departure next season, their production will also be a major contributor to this fact. All of these players are past their primes & are not necessarily scheme fits in Ryan’s defense but maybe the most damaging aspect to their status with the team is the younger players behind them that have taken advantage of their opportunity while ALL of these guys have missed time with injury. Players like David Hawthorne, Ramon Humber, Junior Galette, Rafael Bush & Corey White have in my mind made all these aging high priced veterans expendable.

2. Which players do the Saints make resigning a priority?
Look, everybody and there momma knows Jimmy Graham will be our top priority but Sean Payton will have some MAJOR decisions to make concerning his offensive line this offseason. This unit as a whole is a slightly above average pass blocking unit, I’m not knocking them for that but nasty run blockers they are not. This offense’s biggest weakness is the fact that they cannot run the football when they need to, they can only run it when the offense isn’t expecting it. Their inability to close out games in the run game MUST be addressed and improving this unit needs to be the first move in addressing that. Evans and Grubbs will be back in 2014. Make no mistake about that, Evans is still a very good player when fully healthy and there is no way out of Grubbs contract. Brown, Strief & Puente however is another story all together. All 3 are set to be free agents this offseason and the Saints are likely to be up against the cap yet again but do any of these guys actually deserve an extension? Terron Armstead is waiting in the wings to assume the left tackle position and either Brown or Strief is likely to be playing elsewhere next season. Puente may price himself out of New Orleans and I’m not so sure that’s a bad thing to be honest. I strongly expect the Saints to look to upgrade this unit overall either via the draft or free agency moving fwd.

3. What are this team’s needs… really?
Honestly… You ask this question to 10 different Saints fans and you may get 10 different answers. Some feel upgrading the offensive line is our #1 need. Others feel landing a quality pass rusher opposite Galette is the way to go. Some point to the fact that Brees can’t throw to the wide receivers because we have none that can get separation on the football field. Corner back looks to be a big concern with each passing game as Greer continues to struggle. So what is it? Where do we go and most of all how do we address it?

Like I said, it’s early I know but 6 games is a good sample size to get an idea of what a team’s weakness are. So what say you?

WHODAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Jlowe22

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe 100% that offensive line should be our top priority. Regardless of how well our defense does, this team still revolves around Brees and HIS offense. In our most dominant seasons we've had a beastly o-line. As long as Brees is here, we gotta help him produce and protect him from hits. I can't see a bigger priority right now than fixing the line problems.
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jlowe22 wrote:
I believe 100% that offensive line should be our top priority. Regardless of how well our defense does, this team still revolves around Brees and HIS offense. In our most dominant seasons we've had a beastly o-line. As long as Brees is here, we gotta help him produce and protect him from hits. I can't see a bigger priority right now than fixing the line problems.

I think I'm with you on this Jlowe22.

There are many needs across the board but most positions have younger player that could step up making their positions need not be the top priority but the offensive line is a major question mark in my opinion... the question is where do we focus?

Do we go after a top guard and use Grubbs as a reserve until we can either trade him or cut him without a loosing money? Do we focus on the tackle position... If we don't were putting a whole lot of faith in Armstead. Is Puente worth an extention or should we look to upgrade?

Harper41

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overreactions everywhere. Ben Grubbs looked fine the last two games and was very good for us last year. You need to calm down with cutting/trading him.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
Overreactions everywhere. Ben Grubbs looked fine the last two games and was very good for us last year. You need to calm down with cutting/trading him.

I will admit that jumping the Grubbs is futile anyways because of his contract... I actually went back and watch some of his games while in Baltimore and he looks like a different player. I'm wondering if it was a product of playing between Birk and Oher (at the time). Maybe if we can increase the talent level at either the tackle or center position on the side of him we can get that guy here in New Orleans.

Personally I think Tackle is our biggest need... I know a lot of people are excited over Armstead but he's an unknown and might actually fit better at guard or on the right side in the NFL. I know he showed to be an athletic freak at the combine but most scouting reports had him with average feet despite those athletic traits.

unfsaint

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brees has not been as good this season. I hate to admit it but it's true. I am beyond blaming the O-line. They have played much better the past three weeks. Brees is still making stupid decisions with the ball and if he doesn't have the luxury of just throwing the ball up to Graham...he has been an average QB this season. I think that it would be smart to at least consider the possibility of grooming a stud rookie QB.

I think that Greer has been the weakest link on our defense this season. A CB could be an early round need. Harper and Jenkins could gone this next season...so another safety may be needed. With as much 3-4 safety sets that Ryan runs...it wouldn't be a bad idea anyway. OLB is always a need...but I have given up on that. I think that RT and C could be upgraded...but again...Strief and DLP have not been that bad recently.

We are incredibly young at WR...so it is a tough position to evaluate. Colston has been inconsistent getting separation. Stills and Toon have been inconsistent (as expected). We shall see how the season progresses.
SaintsBeast

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know who said we need a quality pass rusher across from Galette... Jordan is obviously the answer. He's an every down lineman, and leads our team in sacks. He's developed into a downright NASTY player. So I think we're good on that one. Plus we have Galette. Tyrunn Walker and Glenn Foster have looked good, but could develop a little more. Akiem Hicks is a beast. Plus we still have Victor Butler waiting to come back. So I think we're golden in the DL department.

2012 Adopt-A-Saint:
Martez Wilson, DE: 1 Sack, 6 Tackles, 1 FF, 1 Punt Block
Will Smith, DE: 2 Sacks, 22 Tackles, 0 FF
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our #1 need is LT IMO.

1. Resign Puente, let Jenkins walk (with Graham were going to have to let one go, and we have Bush waiting behind Jenkins. And Qudduus is there too.

2. Let Strief and Brown walk

3. Draft a LT, play Armstead at RT. Evaluate Armstead next year, he doesn't work we can replace him next offseason.

Draft corners and safeties in the middle rounds (cut Greer, and Harper, let Jenkins walk) and then draft LB depth and perhaps OL depth or even a QB in the late rounds.

navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaintsBeast wrote:
I don't know who said we need a quality pass rusher across from Galette... Jordan is obviously the answer.

Not sure if you forgot what scheme we play, but a we need quality OLB on the other side. Jordan is not the answer. Just a complimentary piece. We cannot count on Butler having not seen him play in our scheme. I say draft a pass rushing OLB early on and add to the depth/competition.

Robust Perry wrote:
They were the dirtiest organization in football

In reference to the Saints.
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navysaintsfan wrote:
SaintsBeast wrote:
I don't know who said we need a quality pass rusher across from Galette... Jordan is obviously the answer.

Not sure if you forgot what scheme we play, but a we need quality OLB on the other side. Jordan is not the answer. Just a complimentary piece. We cannot count on Butler having not seen him play in our scheme. I say draft a pass rushing OLB early on and add to the depth/competition.

What you thinking Navyman???

A dynamic pass rusher, to pair with Galette... I agree that would be sweet. Your right that we really don't know what we have in Butler, Wilson hasn't shown much. From everything I've read and the film I've watched it seems Ryan prefers OLB's that are more like DE's because he really doesn't require his OLB's to drop into coverage much.

I think back to this past offseason... the Saints made an aggressive push for Paul Kruger, so I guess in theory that is the type of player we might be looking for.

navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
navysaintsfan wrote:
SaintsBeast wrote:

A dynamic pass rusher, to pair with Galette... I agree that would be sweet. Your right that we really don't know what we have in Butler, Wilson hasn't shown much. From everything I've read and the film I've watched it seems Ryan prefers OLB's that are more like DE's because he really doesn't require his OLB's to drop into coverage much.

I think back to this past offseason... the Saints made an aggressive push for Paul Kruger, so I guess in theory that is the type of player we might be looking for.

I think whichever is available at our #1 pick, best available OT or pass rushing OLB/DE to stick opposite of Galette. Think of Galette crashing down on one side, and having to keep up with both Jordan and someone else on the other. This is not taking into account Hicks and Jenkins making noise already. I'm leaning more towards the pass rusher with the #1, but if a stud LT is there, we can't afford to pass him up.

Robust Perry wrote:
They were the dirtiest organization in football

In reference to the Saints.
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navysaintsfan wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
navysaintsfan wrote:
SaintsBeast wrote:

I think whichever is available at our #1 pick, best available OT or pass rushing OLB/DE to stick opposite of Galette. Think of Galette crashing down on one side, and having to keep up with both Jordan and someone else on the other. This is not taking into account Hicks and Jenkins making noise already. I'm leaning more towards the pass rusher with the #1, but if a stud LT is there, we can't afford to pass him up.

I wouldn't rule out a corner at the end of round one either... Greer may be playing his last season with the Saints, Robinson hasn't panned out and the jury is still out on White. If a guy like TCU's Jason Verrett falls to us that might be extremely tough to pass.

domepatrol91

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Jordan isn't the answer across from Galette because they don't play the same position.

That said, I'll be incredibly disappointed if we go anywhere other than OT with our 1st pick.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

domepatrol91 wrote:
I agree that Jordan isn't the answer across from Galette because they don't play the same position.

That said, I'll be incredibly disappointed if we go anywhere other than OT with our 1st pick.

Yep. We desperately need an OT, Brown and Strief are both mediocre. Strief...Ugh, for a guy who's supposed to be a mauling RT he doesn't do ish in the run game.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
SaintsBeast

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

navysaintsfan wrote:
SaintsBeast wrote:

Yeah, i went mental on that one for some reason. Laughing Ramon Humber looks good in those situations, though.

2012 Adopt-A-Saint:
Martez Wilson, DE: 1 Sack, 6 Tackles, 1 FF, 1 Punt Block
Will Smith, DE: 2 Sacks, 22 Tackles, 0 FF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: