Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 NFL Draft Prospects
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you thought the Texas A&M game ended up lopsided, I hope you didn't get offended by this one. Ohio State simply destroyed Penn State in every single aspect of the game. Urban Meyer's squad was on pace to put up 84 points at halftime, and they probably could have surpassed that. A week after the first BCS standings were released, the Buckeyes put the country on notice. But how did the prospects perform in this one sided affair? Let's just say it wasn't quite as lopsided as the score.

For Penn State:

Much like you might expect when the opposing team scores 63 points, Penn State's defensive prospects were...underwhelming on film. DT DaQuan Jones (#91) and LB Glenn Carson (#40) were largely neutralized. Jones showed a nice ability to collapse the pocket one on one, he did flush opposing QB Braxton Miller (#5) a number of times. Jones has a nice first step for a guy with some size...but I feel like he's a tweener (as crazy as that sounds). He's too slow to be a 3 technique and too weak to be a 1 technique in the current 4-3 defense Penn State employs. I could see him being a 3-4 5 tech. I also found it very interested that in certain short yardage situations, DaQuan Jones wasn't on the field. Doesn't bode well for his penetration skills.

Carson was extremely disappointing to watch. He looked slow. He didn't separate from blockers well. He got swallowed up in the running game. Granted, the Ohio State line did dominate (and we'll get there in a minute) but Carson did not look like he brought many tools to the table whatsoever.

Offensively, Penn State did have 2 bright spots. WR Allen Robinson (#8 ) was unsurprisingly one of them. He didn't have as good of a night as his stat line of 12 receptions for 173 yards and a touchdown might suggest, but he had a productive night which confirmed some of my suspicions about him. He's similar to the Jordan Matthews and Coby Hamiltons I've scouted thus far. Good, not great side, with average speed and just wins routes. He catches the ball well (although admittedly Robinson is more inconsistent than either Matthews or Hamilton throughout his Penn State career...he's closed that gap this year with only 1 sub-par overall performance against Kent State). He has a little bit more elusiveness after the catch, as evidenced by his wild 65 yard touchdown last night. Robinson is a guy that I like a lot. He is versatile enough to go up for a jump ball against Michigan in the final seconds or take a one step bubble for good yardage, but he's also got enough big play ability to have 40+ long receptions in 5 of 7 games this year (and one of the 2 without had a 36 yard reception). If Robinson runs sub-4.5...I think he could realistically be a late 1st round pick. As it stands, he's grouped in with Jordan Matthews as a Day 2 prospect. For now.

The other bright spot was Junior RB Bill Belton (#1). He ran for just short of 100 yards on the night, but it's how he runs that really catches your eye. He's a compact and built at 5'10 and 205. He's patient but he runs down hill. There's nothing special about him, he doesn't have that next gear in the open field, but he's what you'd expect to get in a 5th round and later if you need horses for your stable. I think at this time next year, Belton will likely be getting a little more attention that the zero he's getting now.

For Ohio State:

Did someone mention compact running backs? Senior RB Carlos Hyde (#34) was a wrecking ball out there last night. He gouged and gashed the Penn State defense run after run, and showed nice burst on a 39 yard romp to put Ohio State up 35-7 in the first half. A suspension for a legal issue which was later dropped cost Hyde the first 3 games of the season...but he's been making up for lost time with now over 450 yards and 7 touchdowns in his last three games. Hyde runs hard, punishes defenders, keeps legs moving. In a class that can only be described as average for running backs, Carlos Hyde has the potential to place himself in the upper echelon of prospects at the position if teams are satisfied with his explanation for his legal issue and he continues to run and produce the way he did last night. It was a great display of domination. He has all the physical tools you need for a runner. He does need work on his pass protection, for he did allow interior pressure on Braxton Miller a number of times. Hyde's productive night was helped by LT Jack Mewhort (#74). Mewhort is LONG at 6'7 but displays nice footwork and athleticism. Mewhort's ability to get onto the 2nd level and seal off linebackers really enabled Hyde to get out into the open with ease. And then down on the goal line, Mewhort double teamed a defensive lineman and seemingly effortlessly passed him off and caught a flowing linebacker on a 6 yard touchdown run by Braxton Miller. It's the type of play NFL offensive line coaches love.

Speaking of Braxton Miller, let's stay away from any knee jerk responses to his first 250+ yard passing game of his career. Miller is NOT a next level QB prospect. He is, however, a next level athlete prospect. Whether he chooses to try to go the route of former Michigan QB Dennard Robinson (he has the elusiveness and the speed) or former Penn State QB Michael Robinson (now a fullback for the Seahawks after several years at running back for San Francisco) if Miller is willing to accept his fate, he should be a late round flyer as a project/offensive weapon. He had great elusiveness not just in the pocket but in the open field and a speed you wouldn't expect a QB at 6'2, 220 pounds to have. He is not a Colin Kaepernick type of prospect though, make no mistake about it. Their parallels end with running zone read in college. Miller has a big time arm to gun passes around the field but mentally, Miller doesn't exactly play in a complicated offense. The skill of the athletes simply is what allows for 63 points to be put on the board.

Defensively for the Buckeyes...I don't think Urban Meyer was playing it coy when he said S CJ Barnett (#4) was their best player. He certainly was again last night. For all the talk about LB Ryan Shazier (#2), I was unimpressed. Shazier didn't attack the line of scrimmage consistently. He plays laterally, which was the same critique I had on Rolando McClain back in the day. And when Shazier DID get downhill, he shot gaps from behind and took poor angles to the ball carrier. He had himself a sack yesterday when his back stayed in to pass block and Hackenberg shuffled out of the pocket to the right, but it wasn't anything other than a mop job. Shazier did a decent job of freeing himself from would be blockers, but he either used his speed or got caught. When caught, he gives himself no separation. Blockers got in on him with tight fits. He's a nice athlete for sure. But he's smaller at only 220. To be honest I didn't see anything to put him into the first round based on last night's game. But that's the beauty of scouting...it takes more than 1 game.

Barnett and CB Bradley Roby (#1) were a part of a secondary that had freshman QB Christian Hackenberg dazed and confused in the 1st half, though they played very different roles. Barnett logged his first interception of the year and was all over Penn State with 5 tackles and a pass defensed. Bradley Roby had 5 tackles and 2 passes defensed himself, but looked sloppy in coverage. One play in particular I watched him mug Allen Robinson all the way to the ground on a no call pass interference for an incomplete pass 20 yards downfield. I don't know what happened to the ball hawk I saw as a sophomore, but he's no where to be found. Barnett is a guy that is an all around safety. If he can continue improving his timing and zone coverage skills, he will be a name to watch going forward.

Warpticon wrote:
I think Mike Wallace made a mistake because *throws turd at wall*
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanford at Oregon State summary!

Quote:
I thoroughly enjoyed assessing this game. It was the first time I've overlapped with teams I'd already assessed the week before. It definitely added an additional element to my evaluations on top of just 'is he doing what he's supposed to do' with 'is he doing what he did last week?'. This PAC 12 game featured a lot of future NFL talent...but then again so did UCLA - Oregon and we saw how that turned out. So this one was a fun entertaining game to watch and added a new element of analysis as my first overlap game. So how did the prospects do? Let's find out.

For Stanford:

DE Trent Murphy (#93) totally blew me away on Saturday night. He looked like a totally different player vs. UCLA last week than he did Saturday night. Murphy has next level size at 6'6 and 260 pounds. But his level of disruption vs. Oregon State is a promising development in my evaluation. He had 3 sacks, 2 passes defensed and 8 total tackles. Never mind the consistent harrassment on QB Sean Mannion (#4). The power he generated off the snap had Oregon State's left tackle on skates the entire game. His ability to diagnose bubbles was assisted by his first step, allowing him to swat down 2 of them. I walked away from the UCLA game questioning if THAT was Trent Murphy...a guy with good size who simply played with good technique and stayed within his responsibility. Saturday night gave me a look at the play making Trent Murphy, who doesn't have to maintain gap responsibility. Now, Murphy has 5 sacks in the 2 games that I watched, but the quality of play between the two games was greatly varied. Murphy essentially won the game for Stanford.

LB Shayne Skov (#11) had a quiet night overall, but I expected that coming in. Skov is a guy who likes to attack the line of scrimmage, come downhill and be physical with would be blockers and backs. But when you face a team like Oregon State who throws the ball 55 times a game, Skov is a bit out of his element because he's back pedaling. He performed well enough in coverage, the backs didn't produce a lot of yardage receiving the ball either. But then again, unless your name was Brandin Cooks (#7), NO ONE for Oregon State was getting separation in their routes. Skov is best suited for the middle of a 3-4 defense in my opinion, where he is allowed to flow but also given responsibility to attack downhill on runs to his side.

Offensively for the Cardinal, WR Ty Montgomery (#7) had a nice 37 yard reception as one of his 3 catches for the night and RB Tyler Gaffney (#25) totaled another 145 yards and 3 touchdowns. Montgomery is a fine athlete...but his receiving skills deserve a closer look after back to back average performances. I think it's very clear that Montgomery has the tools to be successful, but his routes and his breaks need to become more consistent. Granted, QB Kevin Hogan (#Cool certainly doesn't help matters. Tyler Gaffney on the other hand, is forcing me to look a little closer for GOOD reasons. Gaffney runs hard, as previously mentioned. However, he doesn't catch the ball all that well, he doesn't have a 2nd gear and he isn't all that useful on 3rd downs as a blocker either. So when you look at the approach to the draft, your 1st - 4th rounds are usually utilized for picking up depth/starters. Once you hit the 5th round, teams usually start looking for specialty projects or special teams players. If a team feels Gaffney can offer them something in terms of a special teams player, he might sneak into rounds 6-7. However, I really can't see a team taking a 2 down power runner. I still likely think he'll end up as an UDFA, but he'll have a spot in a camp somewhere for sure.

For Oregon State:

I thought Sean Mannion had a respectable game. Yes, he checked the football down quite frequently and his 4.8 ypa isn't exactly an earth shattering figure. But when you look just beyond the box score of the game and see things for what they were, Mannion didn't have a lot of options. Stanford clearly keyed on Brandin Cooks to try to minimize his impact on the game. None of Oregon State's other athletes could win one on one match ups with a physically superior Stanford secondary. Plus, Trent Murphy was beating Mannion to the top of his pass drops (Murphy was getting essentially free runs at times), disrupting the timing of the offense. Mannion's average foot speed in his drops could have helped him alleviate some of the pressure he was getting, so that is one critique. It should probably also be noted that the Beavers totaled 17 yards rushing on 24 carries. Stanford had an opportunity to absolutely tee off on the passing game. I said last week that Sean Mannion needed to prove to me two things, what his footwork would be like with pressure in his face and his decision making under duress. Saturday night was promising on both counts. Mannion had three "wow" throws, the first was a 20 yard dart to Cooks with a rusher coming straight through the B gap and into Mannion's face. Mannion stepped up into the rush to drive on his throw and perfectly placed a ball for a reception. Mannion's 2nd wow throw was his touchdown pass, which came with a defender draped over his back. Mannion's strength enabled him to continue his throwing motion and put a ball out in front of a crossing receiver for a touchdown. Finally, his 3rd displayed incredible touch. With a receiver working a comeback on the right sideline, Mannion stepped up to avoid pressure and threw a touch pass just inches over top of the fingers of the cornerback squatting in the flat, and into the hands of his receiver just 4 yards further down field. Sean didn't have his best or most productive game, but he made good decisions, good throws and didn't turn the ball over.

DE Scott Crichton (#95) had himself another good game for the Beavers. A sack and fumble recover of Kevin Hogan, plus a nice 40+ yard return of the fumble was his highlight of the night. But physically, he continued to turn in everything Stanford tried to run at him. Keeping his outside arm free and setting control at, not beyond the line of scrimmage is what you expect to see out of a technically sound 4-3 defensive end.

Another Beaver that has popped on tape to me quite a bit the last 2 games is sophomore RB Storm Woods (#24). Woods ran for 960 yards and 13 touchdowns his freshman year in 2012. But with such a putrid offensive line in front of him, he's made his impact as a receiver this year. He's already equaled his 2012 receiving production this year despite missing 2 games with a concussion. (32 receptions for 305 yards and 2 touchdowns). He looks like a great player out in space, making people miss and turning upfield after the catch. He obviously as a sophomore won't impact this year's class...but he's still a name to watch going forward as the Beavers sort out their offensive offensive line.

Keep up to date with my latest thoughts on Twitter at @NFLDraftTracker!

Warpticon wrote:
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested in TE Jace Amaro? Got a chance to watch the Texas Tech/Oklahoma game last night.

Quote:
As promised on Saturday morning, I've taken the time to watch and review the Big 12 showdown of top 15 teams...and I'm glad I did. This was an outstanding football game. A lot of players I expected to see showed well on film, but a couple of others that I didn't hear a lot of buzz on played very well also. While Oklahoma pulled out the win and had their stars showcase themselves in the victory, Texas Tech had itself a very nice showing as well. Let's start with them.

For Texas Tech:

TE Jace Amaro (#22) and WR Eric Ward (#18 ) combined for 17 receptions, 225 yards and 2 touchdowns. I was very impressed with the overall skills of both. Amaro does an outstanding job working the middle of the field and has the ability to sense defenders in his area despite tracking the ball in the air. I recall 3 plays n particular where Amaro was running crossing patterns and contorted his body in the air while hauling in a pass to dodge a defender and proceed to get YAC. Amaro's 8 receptions marked the 7th straight game he's had at least that many, and that was despite a quiet first quarter. Amaro, at 260 pounds, showed impressive strength midway through the 4th quarter on what should have been a touchdown. Catching the ball on the right hash, Amaro dragged a defender on his back 7 yards before lunging the ball forward across the plane of the goal line. He was ruled down, but watching him muscle through was a great illustration of his strength. Amaro did have at least 2 drops, but overall he has good hands...he catches balls cleanly, which adds to his value working the middle in traffic. He's not as explosive as his TE counterpart Eric Ebron out of North Carolina, but he IS just as smooth. He also appears to have the higher football IQ, he made a living sitting down in zones, even when the ball wasn't coming his way. Amaro is a willing blocker, I saw him down on the goal line sealing off a linebacker to clear a path to the end zone. His blocking was only displayed marginally, as Tech had him lined up in a 2 point out in the slot more often than they had him working inline.

Eric Ward had a great ball game. With Sooners CB Aaron Colvin (#14) working the other side of the field, Ward had several big plays, including a 45 yard reception where he simply ran by the corner and a 27 yard touchdown reception where he used a nice stutter and head fake before accelerating past a squatting corner for a wide open score. He doesn't catch balls as cleanly as he should, he traps some of them up against his chest. While it's a red flag in evaluating a player, at least he didn't drop any last weekend. For a team that plays so much press coverage in the Sooners (their secondary might be the best I've seen all year!) Ward made the bulk of his production up against softer coverage. He runs serviceable routes, but most of his receptions were down the field go types. I need to see more of him to see the versatility he has in his route tree.

DE/DT Kerry Hyder (#91) didn't flash the biggest game, but overall he appears to have some solid tools. Working mostly in a 5 tech in Texas Tech's 3 man front, Hyder displayed good movement skills. For a 280 pound man he has good closing speed and agility, and also plays a 2 gap technique really well. I would have liked to see some more 1 gap penetration, but Hyder appeared to be locking up his offensive counter part and trying to read the block. He has adequate strength but when he attempts to scrape he does give ground. Part of that can be attributed to what looks like a higher than ideal pad level. His pads come up as he locks in to read a block and by the time he recognizes the play and goes to disengage he's given up his chest.

For Oklahoma:

Previously mentioned CB Aaron Colvin has all of the tools you like to see in an NFL prospect at corner. He's got good size at 6'0, 192 pounds. He plays disciplined, he can play press coverage in a receiver's face, he has a smooth backpedal and he has ball skills. He logged his 5th career interception and also had a fumble recovery to go with a solid evening tackling receivers. He's patient...sometimes a little too patient, in run support. But with that said, his coverage abilities mask any downside there. I thought last weekend he looked like a 1st round talent...but before I jump to any conclusions I'll need to see more. And more of his competition.

WR Jalen Saunders (#8 ) will suffer in the draft because he's small, listed at 5'9 and 167 pounds. But the kid has WHEELS. He played the 2nd quarter of his life...he had 3 long third down conversions on one drive and then a 70+ yard touchdown on the first play of the next drive afterward. I love his route running ability as well, he manipulates corners with his body positioning on a consistent basis to clear up his breaks and create separation. The size comparison is there...so I'm not afraid to come out and say I see a little bit of Desean Jackson in his game. Saunders handles returns as well, so adding special teams value will drive up his value. He's not a Day 1 pick by any means, but I could see him going at the end of Day 2 or the beginning of Day 3 just based on my first impression.

Senior RB Damien Williams (#26) is dealing with a crowded backfield and having to share carries with QB Blake Bell (#10) as well, but he looked good running the football against the 3 man front of the Red Raiders. He had a number of interior holes opened up by Senior G Bronson Irwin (#68 ). Irwin is physically limited and not a great athlete, but he plays with a mean streak and was consistently reaching and turning out his defensive assignment. Seeing that kind of body control was great to see, especially for a prospect that's considered a fringe draft player. If he plays with the kind of mean streak he showed but nothing more...it will likely lead to him being a camp body. If he can clean up his pulling (he's currently really rigid in space) and quicken up his feet in general, he might be worth a look as a depth player late in the draft.

And finally, a sophomore who won't affect this year's class but who played just too well for me not to mention is Sooners LB Eric Striker (#19). He showed a good first step off the edge to the tune of 2 sacks and a pass deflection. He's small at only 220 pounds, but his disruption skills are too hard to ignore, especially considering he has potentially 2 more years to add bulk. Will be an interesting prospect to watch develop in the future for the Sooners.

Thanks for taking the time to stop in and read, be sure to follow @NFLDraftTracker on Twitter for updates and film analysis!

Warpticon wrote:

Last edited by ProudDolphan47 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Fear not....I will still have my weekly game previews before each of the games this week...but seeing as how this week will be a very busy week of games for me (starting tomorrow night) I figured it might be nice to give you all a preview of what to look forward to this week. Here are the games/teams I'll be looking at this week.

Tuesday, October 29th

I'll be spending this evening catching up on #5 Baylor Bears' offensive juggernaut. Between QB Bryce Petty (#14), RB Lache Seastrunk (#26), WRs Tevin Reese (#16) and Antwan Goodley (#5) at the skill positions and G Cyril Richardson (#68 ) on the line, there's a lot to keep a talent evaluator busy. No full games, but there will certainly be reactions posted tonight on Twitter as I watch.

Wednesday, October 30th

- Cincinnati @ Memphis 8:00 PM EST

The week of college games starts early this week, which I can never complain about. LB Greg Blair and G Austen Bujnoch are top prospects for Cincinnati, while Memphis' top prospects are headlined by DT Johnnie Farms and P Tom Hornsey.

Thursday, October 31st

- #25 Arizona State @ Washington State 10:30 PM EST

DT Will Sutton, OLB Carl Bradford and RB Marion Grice are the Sun Devils' players to watch as they head north to face S Deone Bucannon, CB Damante Horton and the rest of the Cougars.

Friday, November 1st

- Southern California @ Oregon State 9:00 PM EST

Good news, Beaver Nation! You get my attention for the 3rd week in a row thanks to a Friday night scheduled PAC 12 game. The usual suspects on offense for OSU will take on top prospect WR Marquise Lee (Will he play is the question), OLB Morgan Breslin, FS Dion Bailey, DE George Unko and RB Silas Redd (also questionable). USC is packed with talent, so it will be fun to watch.

Saturday, November 2nd

- #22 Wisconsin @ Iowa 12:00 PM EST
- #23 Michigan @ #24 Michigan State 3:30 PM EST
- #7 Miami @ #3 Florida State 8:00 PM EST
- #16 Fresno State @ Nevada 10:30 PM EST

Nice try...you'll get these previews Friday night.

Warpticon wrote:
WaterBear56

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'll be at the game, should be pretty hectic.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WaterBear56 wrote:
Quote:

I'll be at the game, should be pretty hectic.

Same here, very excited, but don't think it'll be close.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome to see Jace Amero get some love.....I had him in my mock and think he would be a great Day 2 pick for the Phins (if they address the oline in the first).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it really affect us? No. Probably not. But who doesn't love a little QB talk?

Quote:
NFL Draft Tracker ‏@NFLDraftTracker 1h

It's going to be mentally exhausting hearing all the Jameis Winston talk until he gets drafted...but since we're talking QBs...let's talk.

NFL Draft Tracker ‏@NFLDraftTracker 59m

I've given talent scores on 6 QBs so far. Bridgewater, Hundley, Manziel, Boyd, Petty and Mannion. Need at LEAST 3/preferably 5 gms before grade

NFL Draft Tracker ‏@NFLDraftTracker 57m

Out of these 6, 2 first round grades given. Bridgewater (8.2/1st round) and Petty (8.1/1st round).

NFL Draft Tracker ‏@NFLDraftTracker 55m

As much as I love Johnny Manziel and want to give him a 1st round grade, pocket awareness/judgement costs him in my grading (7.9/Early 2nd).

NFL Draft Tracker ‏@NFLDraftTracker 53m

For more context on my talent grading and scores...read up here: http://nfldrafttracker.blogspot.com/2013/10/draft-grading-methodology-talent-scores.html Explains scale, components, ect.

NFL Draft Tracker ‏@NFLDraftTracker 52m

Of course, talent is only 1 of 5 components so these figures aren't final grade by any means...but they make up 60% of QB's overall grade

Next batch to get grades includes Mariota, Mettenberger, Morris, Carr, Bortles and Murray. MAYBE 2 more first round grades in that group.

NFL Draft Tracker ‏@NFLDraftTracker 46m

Hundley gets docked for accuracy, poise and mechanics to the tune of a 7.0/3rd round grade. Needs to come back badly. Don't know if he will.

NFL Draft Tracker ‏@NFLDraftTracker 44m

But at least he has chance to and help stock. Tajh Boyd grades out talent wise at a 6.8/4th round grade. Lacks poise, accuracy, footwork.

Warpticon wrote:
DeesNutts

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RB Joshua Harris - Wake Forest
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ah, see now this is more like it. The more I have watched PAC 12 football this year, the more it has quickly become my favorite conference to watch. So getting 2 new teams, Arizona State and Washington State is something I've been looking forward to all week. I haven't exactly been looking forward to staying up until 1 AM to watch the end of the game, but hey...beggars can't be choosers. Here's who I'll be watching:

Arizona State Sun Devils
- RB Marion Grice (#1)
- DT Will Sutton (#90)
- LB Carl Bradford (#52)

Eighteen touchdowns. EIGHTEEN. Marion Grice busted out for his 1st 100 yard rushing game of the season last week against Washington, which is a nice accomplishment. Grice has a nose for the endzone, he had 19 touchdowns last year (8 receiving) and appears to be a nice pass catcher out of the back field. I'll be interested to see what kind of playing style he has and what sort of translation he may project to have. Will Sutton and Carl Bradford headline on defense for Arizona State. Sutton was a player that as a junior was EXTREMELY disruptive. He had 13 sacks, just for a point of reference. But Sutton "bulked up" an additional 30 pounds in the off season and it's really taken away from what his strength was, his quickness. I'll be looking to see how Sutton carries his weight, his conditioning and how much explosion he still has. Bradford is having a down year in terms of production himself, having 11 sacks last year but only 4.5 so far this year. Bradford is a little short but has great size for an outside linebacker.

Washington State Cougars
- S Deone Bucannon (#20)
- CB Damante Horton (#6)

Deone Bucannon, on the other hand...is having anything BUT a down year. He's been all over the field making tackles for the Cougars, and at one point hauled in an interception in 4 straight games. He's tallied at least 8 tackled in 7 of 8 games this season, including 12 and 14 tackle performances. This type of production doesn't bode well for his linebackers' performance...it certainly helps Bucannon get himself noticed. Damante Horton has 4 interceptions in just 3 games this season. He also has 70 and 72 yard touchdown returns amongst them and is responsible for the Cougars' 10-7 win over USC. I haven't been able to identify any reason for Horton's lack of playing time in half of the Cougars games...so at this point I can only hope to see #6 on the field tonight.

Warpticon wrote:
Pickle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be opposed to entire draft devoted to offensive linemen.

gopherwrestler
GO GATORS
phinsforlife

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvin Kloss just nailed a 50 yarder.
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Saturday games started with an entertaining Big 10 game between Wisconsin and Iowa. The Badgers managed to pull away in the 2nd half but the 1st half showcased Iowa's inability to capitalize in the red zone and two big time passing plays for the Badgers.

For Wisconsin:

Of course RB Melvin Gordon (#25) decides to have his least productive game of the season the first time I watch him. While he didn't make a ton of big time plays on his 17 touches, he displayed good quickness and feet. When he runs, he just seems to react and move a little bit quicker than everybody else, which is a great trait to have. He wasn't the most productive back out of the backfield for the Badgers, but Iowa really seemed to refuse to let Gordon beat them, keying on him to run when he was in the game. The fact that he is very one dimensional (he only has 3 career catches) certainly doesn't help, but the redshirt sophomore has undeniable next level skills as a pure runner. I'd love to see him when he has a bit more room to run.

What Gordon didn't supply offensively was made up for by the play of WR Jared Abbrederis (#4). Abbrederis only had 3 catches for 30 yards, but among them was a 20 yard touchdown reception where he ran a beautiful corner/post route in the redzone. He did a very nice job attacking the ball while it was in the air and holding on despite a HARD collision. Abbrederis has been very productive during his career with Wisconsin, and seeing the type of route running ability that he flashed makes me intrigued at what other tools he brings to the table.

Defensively, LB Chris Borland (#44) did not play. I will have to see what the guys over at Draft Breakdown have on him.

For Iowa:

For the Hawkeyes, I was really impressed with TE CJ Fiedorowicz (#86). Is he a new age TE in the mold of Vernon Davis or Jimmy Graham? Certainly not. But don't let the lack of numbers fool you, Fiedorowicz is a very talented prototypical TE. He blocks with authority. He doesn't run great routes because it's hard to get clean breaks when you're that size, but his catch radius is enormous and his size makes him an awesome red zone threat. He didn't get much of a chance to display his ball skills, but then again with the QB situation in Iowa, I'm not so certain any of his film from 2013 will show him much on that front. But CJ got a lot of good movement in the running game, getting down on DEs and out onto the 2nd level.

Defensively, I don't see a lot of potential in LB James Morris (#44). Morris is really stiff laterally. He doesn't change directions well, and when you pair that with what wasn't all that impressive of closing speed and I see a 2 down linebacker at BEST. Will he make a team coming into camp? Certainly, when you're 6'2 and 240 pounds and 12 tackles a piece vs. Ohio State, Michigan State and Wisconsin, you have the build and the football IQ to have a chance to help a team. He DOES tackle well, he just struggles attempting to change directions laterally in open space.

LB Anthony Hitchens (#31) however, seems to have a bit more potential in my eyes. Hitchens actually has more tackles than Morris on the season and looks like a much better athlete. 6'1, 233 pounds, Hitchens is put together really well, just like Morris. But the difference is watching Hitchens play in space. He had a number of running plays to the perimeter where he plays square to the LOS while stringing the back all the way out to the sideline. Didn't concede the edge at all. He doesn't have as many big plays as Morris on the year, but part of that (based off of one game) is what they ask Hitchens to do. As the better athlete, he's able to move around more and not just be an impact player at the line of scrimmage. This at times takes him away from the football...but Hitchens certainly found his way back to it on Saturday a number of times.

Later this afternoon we'll discuss the Michigan/Michigan State showdown in East Lansing. Be sure to check back for more Big 10 draft coverage!

Quote:
Michigan State did an absolutely stunning job funnelling Michigan QB Devin Gardner (#96) inside the pocket all game long. The Spartans simply owned the line of scrimmage. That being said, this game was really entertaining through 3 quarters, a lot of fun to watch...especially for Big 10 conference games that have had a tendency to lull me a bit in recent years.

For Michigan:

Essentially the lone bright spot for the Wolverines on offense was WR Jeremy Gallon (#21). Gallon didn't have the 369 receiving yards he did LAST week against Indiana, but Gallon showcased his ability to get separation against a very, very talented Spartans secondary, which was led by CB Darqueze Dennard (#31). Any time you have a receiver who is so short it makes you stop and pause...but if the other talent is there, then there are schematic ways you can get talented football players the football. Gallon is listed a full inch shorter than current St. Louis Ram Tavon Austin and is no where near as dynamic, but Austin does show that NFL teams are willing to overlook the height deficiency. However, Austin is the exception, NOT the rule. I don't see Gallon being a 1st round pick in ANY way, and think he may be lucky if he's selected on Day 2. Gallon has some nice speed, catches the ball well, but I'm going to need to go back and examine his route running skill in particular to determine his talent grade.

LT Taylor Lewan (#77) seemed like he was trying anything and everything in his power to be ejected and given an early shower in the 1st half. As bad as Lewan was with putting his hands in the face of whoever he was blocking (or in some cases standing over after the play) his performance on the field was as disappointing. For a player who was touted during the process last year as a top 15 pick, he certainly didn't play like it against Michigan State. Lewan has great feet, that much is for certain. But, and I saw this last year as well, Lewan has a couple of holes that need to be cleaned up. Lewan physically can handle just about anyone across from him from a build perspective. But when Lewan is run blocking...to generate power and movement his feet end up together, creating a narrow base. Because of this, Lewan struggles to mirror and sustain drive blocks in the run game, he will end up losing his balance quite frequently. When Lewan drops into a pass set, he doesn't hinge outside enough to seal and protect himself from an interior counter move. He needs to open his shoulders and fan out in one on one pass protection. I've seen him get chippy a number of times and isn't too subtle with his extra cirriculars. He has to keep that in check.

On the defensive side, LB Jake Ryan (#47) continues his return from an ACL tear and showed up a number of times. He flows well, and it's good to see him back on the field for the 3rd straight game with no side effects. It's difficult to get a read on him, because A. his snap count was limited and B. you can tell physically he isn't himself. Hopefully he progresses well enough for some full time action come their bowl game and I can give an accurate assessment.

For Michigan State:

The Spartans may have hung 29 points on the board on Saturday, but this game was all about the defense. Previously mentioned CB Dennard is an extremely physical corner and came away with an interception of Gardner for his efforts. The play itself was borderline illegal contact, but it still showed great reaction and ball skills as by the time Dennard's head got around, the ball was already on him (an attempted back shoulder throw) and Dennard managed to trap it with his left hand and reel it in. While his physical approach could draw illegal contact from time to time, it does come with it's set on benefits. Dennard is a corner you can expect to get down hill in run support. He reads keys very well. His feet aren't as smooth at TCU CB Jason Verrett, but his footwork and ability to open his hips should serve him well as a corner. He does a nice job funneling receivers to the boundary when the coverage calls for it as well...he really squeezed the sideline on his interception.

LB Max Bullough (#40) is a nice athlete at MLB for the Spartans. But what really stands out about his is his instincts. He has a feel for dropping into middle zones. He can pick his way through traffic. He runs well and is a sound tackler. Bullough overall really left a nice mark...he's probably pushing Miami Hurricanes LB Denzel Perryman for favorite LB in this year's class at this point. Your middle linebacker is supposed to be intelligent, physically able to play the run, go sideline to sideline and be smooth enough in a backpedal to play the middle of the field. Max Bullough is all of those things.

Warpticon wrote:
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Top 5 Offensive Rankings: November 11th 2013
Welcome back! I did not get the chance to live tweet this past weekend during the games, so I have a little something different as a point of reading material for you guys! I focused a lot of time yesterday covering film over a large number of players to be able to give a reasonable opinion on the top 5 players at each position in the class. Granted, these are NOT official, and besides Quarterbacks there won't be any talent scores. But I managed to get enough film work in over the weekend to feel comfortable posting a top 5.

Quarterbacks:
1. Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville = 8.43, First Round
2. Bryce Petty, Baylor = 8.10, First Round
3. Zach Mettenberger, Louisiana State = 8.04, First Round
4. Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M = 7.98, Early Second Round
5. Derek Carr, Fresno State = 7.54, Second Round

Running Backs:
1. Ka'Deem Carey, Arizona
2. Melvin Gordon, Wisconsin
3. Bishop Sankey, Washington
4. Storm Johnson, Central Florida
5. Devonta Freeman, Florida State

Wide Receivers:
1. Sammy Watkins, Clemson = 8.46, First Round
2. Marqise Lee, Southern California = 8.32, First Round
3. Odell Beckham Jr, Louisiana State = 8.24, First Round
4. Brandon Coleman, Rutgers = 8.17, First Round
5. Brandin Cooks, Oregon State = 7.88, Early Second Round

Tight Ends:
1. Eric Ebron, North Carolina = 8.08, First Round
2. Jace Amaro, Texas Tech
3. Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
4. Nick O'Leary, Florida State
5. CJ Fiedorowicz, Iowa

Offensive Tackles:
1. Jake Matthews, Texas A&M
2. Cedric Ogbuehi, Texas A&M
3. Cameron Erving, Florida State
4. Antonio "Tiny" Richardson, Tennessee
5. Taylor Lewan, Michigan

Interior Linemen:
1. Gabe Jackson, Mississippi State
2. Cyril Richardson, Baylor
3. David Yankey, Stanford
4. La'el Collins, Louisiana State
5. Xavier Sua-Filo, UCLA

Warpticon wrote:
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few interesting rankings jumped out to me

No Cyrus kouandjio at T I think he is getting to much love but rightfully so out of the top 5 here.

No Lache seastrunk in the top 5 here at RB I happen to think very highly of him he may be my favorite as of now. Glad to see Storm Johnson getting some love though.

I would hate to draft Brandon Coleman and I would hate to be the guy who passed on Brandon Coleman lol. Some days I love him other days I am worried he wont be able to separate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: