Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 NFL Draft Prospects
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
green4gulf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CanesFinsFan wrote:
Some guys to look at that will probably go somewhere in the first 3 rounds of the draft. Let off some of the OT that I think will be long gone by the time the Dolphins pick. Also left off the WR because we just don't draft WR that high and we have greater needs.

OT
Cyrus Kouandijo - Alabama
Antonio Richardson - Tennessee
James Hurst - UNC
Cameron Erving - FSU

OG
Xavier Su'a'filo - UCLA
Zach Martin - ND
David Yankey - Stanford

OC
Travis Swanson - Arkansas
Bryan Stork - FSU

TE
Eric Ebron - UNC
Austin Seferian-Jenkins - Wash
Colt Lyerla - Oregon
CJ Fiedorowicz - Iwoa

DT
Louis Nix - ND
Timmy Jernigan - FSU

CB
Brady Roby- OSU
Ifo Ekpre-olomu - Oregon
Marcus Roberson - UF
Loucheiz Purifoy - UF
Justin Gilbert - Okla St

DE
Dominic Easly - UF (could slip to 2nd or 3rd round due to injury, would be a steal even though it's probably the least needed position)

Easley projects much better as a DT than a DE IMO. He may go as a DE in a 3-4, but even though he's only listed at 6'2" 285 I think he'll be around that 300-310 weight at the combine. He's an inside player that would be good enough to play DE at the next level, but he projects much better as a 4-3 DT. His ACL injury may keep him out of the first round.
green4gulf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
fishfan4life wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
fishfan4life wrote:
Right on cue this week Ebron is beastin vs the hurricanes tonight

Watch Hurst the LT,,,,UNC got some damn good players...
Yeah your right 5 star recruit good college player quick feet and a lot of experience at RT and LT

If the Phins are drafting in the 20's he may be the guy that is still available...

I do like Ebron...a lot...and if they can address some of the line issues in Free Agency (actually sign a top level guy or 2) then I will be all over drafting him and David Yankey or Martin (ND) in the second round.

I think that should be our Off season plan. Grab a starting OL in free agency. Draft a starting OL in the second round, and take BPA in the first round. Ebron was amazing against the U Thursday night. He could be unstoppable in the NFL passing game.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wished we would have drafted TE Jordan Reed in round 3 who is blowing up so far, instead we drafted Dallas Thomas and will Davis
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfan4life wrote:
I wished we would have drafted TE Jordan Reed in round 3 who is blowing up so far, instead we drafted Dallas Thomas and will Davis

I like Will Davis but not Dallas Thomas. Our 2nd and 3rd rounds have been terrible. We can only rely on our 1st rounders.

UniversalAuthor
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfan4life wrote:

That's hindsight. We signed Keller so we could go elsewhere in the draft. And Clay is doing ok

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recap of late game Saturday night.

Quote:
Saturday night's late game, a PAC 12 match up vs. two teams trending in different directions, didn't make the cut as a game I watched live. Instead, I uploaded the game last night and hoped to get a little bit of insight on the Oregon State big name players, mentioned in my preview: QB Sean Mannion (#4), WR Brandin Cooks (#7) and DE Scott Crichton (#95). Cal didn't have a whole lot of players on my radar, but two in particular stood out, and I'll touch on them first:

For California:

WR Chris Harper (#6) and DE Puka Lopa (#75), a pair of pure sophomores have very different roles but both played very well!

Harper is Cal's leading receiver this year and has put up very nice production against the likes of Northwestern, Ohio State, a huge game against Washington State and now Oregon State. With a freshman not named Jameis Winston throwing him the ball, his average of 100 receiving yards per game is very impressive. Harper is a guy who should continue success as his offense grows around him. I'd only expect that production to increase because Harper is a precise route guy and he catches the ball very well with his hands.

The other sophomore, Puka Lopa, was essentially a no name for me. I'd never heard of him. But the defensive end showed a fantastic motor. He was non-stop...albeit against a makeshift offensive line for Oregon State. Lopa was disruptive, showed good penetration skills and is built very solidly. He's seen game action in all 7 games this year, but hasn't started a single one. He's someone that if I'm on the Cal coaching staff, I'm rewarding his performance with a little bit more time. Of course as a sophomore, he'll have no impact on this year's class.

For Oregon State:

I watched, logged and digested this entire game and it wasn't until about an hour after I'd finished up that it hit me what I was seeing in Mannion after he hung up 481 yards and 4 touchdowns on Cal. He is a total knock off of what I saw from former Razorbacks QB Ryan Mallett. Both are big bodied guys. Both have huge, downfield arms and can make big time throws. Both maneuver well enough in avoiding pass rush and are overall sub-par athletes and both struggle with foot speed and resetting their footwork when they slide in the pocket. We haven't seen Mannion on that big time stage against a premiere defense this year, but I'd be willing to bet when we do and he gets pressure amped up on him, we'll see some of the same Mallett tendencies there as well (inaccuracy issues, ect.) The BIG dividing factor will be his decision making when the heat gets turned up. Personally, I LOVED Ryan Mallett. I thought he was the best Quarterback in that draft class in 2011. Cam Newton's character scared me quite a bit (ironic considering how much I liked Mallett but hey hindsight is 20/20 right?) Mallett behind Tom Brady may still prove when he gets his number called to be a legit NFL QB. I think he will. But the big knocks on Mallett were character, decision making under pressure and footwork. If Sean Mannion can avoid the last 2 this year, he may find himself towards the top of the draft class.

Mannion's competition on defense hasn't been high, so this all goes without saying. We need to see him against quality competition. And the next 6 weeks should answer quite a bit of that as Oregon State plays #6 Stanford, USC, Arizona State, Washington and #3 Oregon (which will be showcased as a Friday night game @ 7:00 PM on 11/29...I know what I'm thankful for this year!)

WR Brandin Cooks has 76 receptions for 1176 yards and 12 touchdowns through seven games this season. He's also got an additional 116 yards rushing and 2 more touchdowns on the ground. This guy is a legitimate weapon. He's 5'10, 186. The obvious comparison is last year's top Beaver receiver Markus Wheaton. I loved Markus Wheaton...I had him rated as my 5th WR last year behind Tavon Austin, Cordarelle Patterson, DeAndre Hopkins and Justin Hunter. And guess what? If Cooks plays like he did last Saturday consistently, I'll love him even more than I loved Wheaton. He's got speed. He's got agility and wiggle to produce YAC. He's got clean breaks. He doesn't catch with his body. He's explosive. He is everything you can hope for, and you can bet if he was 3 inches taller people wouldn't stop saying his name. Very, very dynamic player in the open field and he shows ability in some of the finer points of receiving as well.

Finally, Scott Crichton was someone I first noticed watching film on Jordan Poyer last year. #95 is a technician. He displays the ins and outs of technical football from the defensive end position. He shows a wide array of pass rush moves: swim, rip, swat, push/pull. I haven't seen the Dwight Freeney spin move but at this point, nothing would shock me. (Disclaimer: I'm in no way shape or form saying Crichton is anywhere near as explosive as Freeney...just saying its the only thing I haven't seen from him.) At 265 pounds, he's got a solid frame. He displayed good reads/reactions by batting down passes into the flats twice in the 1st quarter. He wouldn't have made the play without a good first step. He engages offensive linemen and creates separation, allowing him to shed a blocker in either the run game or the pass rush. And just as important he can shoot a gap when he needs to. In all honesty, just reading over that review reminds me of 2010 first round pick Derrick Morgan out of Georgia Tech. I think it's a decent comparison. Morgan has been on a slow but steady development for the Tennessee Titans and is currently playing some very good football. I'm looking forward to see Crichton again to re-evaluate the comparison.

Warpticon wrote:
I think Mike Wallace made a mistake because *throws turd at wall*
Niedermaier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blagasse67 wrote:
fishfan4life wrote:

I like Will Davis but not Dallas Thomas. Our 2nd and 3rd rounds have been terrible. We can only rely on our 1st rounders.

You have to be a complete idiot to miss on a pick with the #3 overall spot. Ireland is incapable of analyzing talent outside of the first round. We are screwed until Ross lets go of Parcells portage and we build from the O-line out.

Will we ever address the Guard position?

Larry Little #66
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alabama - Arkansas review

Quote:

For Alabama:

Of draft eligible prospects for either team, Alabama linebacker CJ Mosley (#32) stood out the most and it really wasn't close. Mosley had his A game last weekend, he was consistently plugging holes at the LOS for short gains. More importantly than just plugging a hole, he showed he has the ability to filter through traffic. I'd like to see him get a little more physical when sifting into a lane, but he still showed he can keep linemen off of his body as he comes downhill. Very nice breath of fresh air, good trait for a linebacker. He's got speed as well, his closing distances disappear very quickly when he gets on an angle to the ball carrier. I was surprised by how well he adjusted to handling coverage on Razorbacks freshman TE Hunter Henry (#84) (who in his time will be a VERY good football player. I liked what he flashed last night as well). Mosley was matched one on one with Henry down the seam and the matchup produced a 25 yard gain for Arkansas. A few plays later, Arkansas put Henry on the other side of the formation and tried to go to the well again up the seam. This time, Mosley recognized the route concept, broke with Henry and got his head around to deflect the football...popping it straight up into the air and into the hands of S Hasean Clinton-Dix (#6) for an interception.

Clinton-Dix returned from a 2 game suspension and had himself a good ball game despite being forced into unexpectedly heavy action after fellow S Vinnie Sunseri (#3) went down with a later diagnosed torn ACL. (I'd hope and expect Sunseri returns for his senior year to answer questions about his knee). The thing that stands out about Clinton-Dix when you watch him is his size and length. He's got plenty of it. He seemed to handle responsibilities in the secondary well, although Arkansas isn't exactly the team to test the meddle of the Crimson Tide secondary. The Razorbacks seemed content to try to grind out their offense vs. Alabama, which is understandable when you consider their passing game completed just 7 of 25 attempts on the night. There just wasn't anything sustainable for Arkansas to get the ball in the air, which is a shame because I'd have loved to see some more of Clinton-Dix's ball skills on display.

Offensively for Alabama, QB AJ McCarron (#10) was unsurprisingly effective. He's a hard study though. The biggest thing I could take away from my first Crimson Tide game of the year is just how unbelievable the underclassmen talent is on this team. RBs TJ Yeldon (#4) and Kenyan Drake (#17) and WR Armani Cooper (#9) all look like first round LOCKS either next year or in 2016. Special, special talents all around. Heck, even freshman TE OJ Howard (#8Cool only had one reception, a touchdown, but he runs like a tight end. There are match up issues on the interior and perimeter of the defense caused by these guys and such a powerful offensive line can impose it's will at ease, allowing Alabama to keep a team off balance. The point is this: AJ McCarron appears to be a gamer, there's not doubt. Mentally, he can handle this offense and he obviously knows how to take care of the football. But any time that your running game crushes teams for 352 yards and almost 10 yards per carry and 1500 yards in 7 games at 6 ypc, you have to tread carefully. I don't know AJ McCarron is a guy who can carry you to win football games. One game I'll be interested in watching later is the Ole Miss game, where I've heard McCarron struggled. His arm strength doesn't blow you away but he has good ball placement. Even on throws where he's mechanically unsound, he still puts the ball where only his guy can catch it, so that's a pro. McCarron will take a lot more film before I can come up with a definitive answer that I have full confidence in.

LT Cyrus Kouandjio (#71) and RG Anthony Steen (#61) were two players that I actually CAN make some initial prognosis on. Let's start with Steen, because he's the easier summary. Steen has respectable size and moves very well. I saw him get onto the 2nd level a number of times in the running game. Good feet, but clearly a better run blocker than a pass blocker. I saw him lean up on his toes in pass pro a few times, resulting in him getting shed. He needs to work on keeping his anchor back when he's engaged.

Kouandjio is a guy I'm not crazy about. His size and movement skills remind me of Cordy Glenn from a few years ago and I wouldn't be surprised to see Kouandjio go in the same area. In my honest opinion I think these are the kind of guys that are the new wave RTs of the NFL. Can he play left tackle? Sure he can, and he can be an above average tackle. But if you put a guy on the right side with this size who can still move respectably, but who doesn't have the foot speed or athleticism to be elite, it's a win. Kouandjio has great punch, he's got heavy hands. He's got awesome size and he's got a good anchor. But he's also got heavy feet. Sure, he gets back into his depth for his kick slide but it's mostly length. Explosive rushers can and SHOULD exploit that, especially when you don't have a dominant run game to lean on. Long story short, I don't see him at this point as a top 15 pick as a LT. Could that change? Sure. But just catching him for the first time on film, I don't see it.

For Arkansas:

Finally, for the Razorbacks there were two guys in particular I wanted to see: DE Chris Smith (#42) and C Travis Swanson (#64). They both had quiet overall afternoons but I thought they each showed very differently. Swanson comes away a winner for me. Against Alabama's 3 man front, Swanson faced a lot of head up or gap coverage. He had a defender lined up across from him frequently. I thought he handled it very well and the Razorbacks managed to still gather 165 yards rushing. Swanson was a big part of that. I think he's a physically well built interior lineman and gave me everything I could have expected for a top tier C.

Chris Smith didn't give me much to work with. He looks like he moves well enough and is a good athlete, but I was waiting to see anything to connect him with a top tier prospect status and last weekend just wasn't it. I'm concerned, but willing to give him a pass because of the reasons already stated in regard to the 'How to defend Alabama' and the run vs. pass balance.

Warpticon wrote:
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProudDolphan47 wrote:
Alabama - Arkansas review

Quote:

For Alabama:

Of draft eligible prospects for either team, Alabama linebacker CJ Mosley (#32) stood out the most and it really wasn't close. Mosley had his A game last weekend, he was consistently plugging holes at the LOS for short gains. More importantly than just plugging a hole, he showed he has the ability to filter through traffic. I'd like to see him get a little more physical when sifting into a lane, but he still showed he can keep linemen off of his body as he comes downhill. Very nice breath of fresh air, good trait for a linebacker. He's got speed as well, his closing distances disappear very quickly when he gets on an angle to the ball carrier. I was surprised by how well he adjusted to handling coverage on Razorbacks freshman TE Hunter Henry (#84) (who in his time will be a VERY good football player. I liked what he flashed last night as well). Mosley was matched one on one with Henry down the seam and the matchup produced a 25 yard gain for Arkansas. A few plays later, Arkansas put Henry on the other side of the formation and tried to go to the well again up the seam. This time, Mosley recognized the route concept, broke with Henry and got his head around to deflect the football...popping it straight up into the air and into the hands of S Hasean Clinton-Dix (#6) for an interception.

Clinton-Dix returned from a 2 game suspension and had himself a good ball game despite being forced into unexpectedly heavy action after fellow S Vinnie Sunseri (#3) went down with a later diagnosed torn ACL. (I'd hope and expect Sunseri returns for his senior year to answer questions about his knee). The thing that stands out about Clinton-Dix when you watch him is his size and length. He's got plenty of it. He seemed to handle responsibilities in the secondary well, although Arkansas isn't exactly the team to test the meddle of the Crimson Tide secondary. The Razorbacks seemed content to try to grind out their offense vs. Alabama, which is understandable when you consider their passing game completed just 7 of 25 attempts on the night. There just wasn't anything sustainable for Arkansas to get the ball in the air, which is a shame because I'd have loved to see some more of Clinton-Dix's ball skills on display.

Offensively for Alabama, QB AJ McCarron (#10) was unsurprisingly effective. He's a hard study though. The biggest thing I could take away from my first Crimson Tide game of the year is just how unbelievable the underclassmen talent is on this team. RBs TJ Yeldon (#4) and Kenyan Drake (#17) and WR Armani Cooper (#9) all look like first round LOCKS either next year or in 2016. Special, special talents all around. Heck, even freshman TE OJ Howard (#8Cool only had one reception, a touchdown, but he runs like a tight end. There are match up issues on the interior and perimeter of the defense caused by these guys and such a powerful offensive line can impose it's will at ease, allowing Alabama to keep a team off balance. The point is this: AJ McCarron appears to be a gamer, there's not doubt. Mentally, he can handle this offense and he obviously knows how to take care of the football. But any time that your running game crushes teams for 352 yards and almost 10 yards per carry and 1500 yards in 7 games at 6 ypc, you have to tread carefully. I don't know AJ McCarron is a guy who can carry you to win football games. One game I'll be interested in watching later is the Ole Miss game, where I've heard McCarron struggled. His arm strength doesn't blow you away but he has good ball placement. Even on throws where he's mechanically unsound, he still puts the ball where only his guy can catch it, so that's a pro. McCarron will take a lot more film before I can come up with a definitive answer that I have full confidence in.

LT Cyrus Kouandjio (#71) and RG Anthony Steen (#61) were two players that I actually CAN make some initial prognosis on. Let's start with Steen, because he's the easier summary. Steen has respectable size and moves very well. I saw him get onto the 2nd level a number of times in the running game. Good feet, but clearly a better run blocker than a pass blocker. I saw him lean up on his toes in pass pro a few times, resulting in him getting shed. He needs to work on keeping his anchor back when he's engaged.

Kouandjio is a guy I'm not crazy about. His size and movement skills remind me of Cordy Glenn from a few years ago and I wouldn't be surprised to see Kouandjio go in the same area. In my honest opinion I think these are the kind of guys that are the new wave RTs of the NFL. Can he play left tackle? Sure he can, and he can be an above average tackle. But if you put a guy on the right side with this size who can still move respectably, but who doesn't have the foot speed or athleticism to be elite, it's a win. Kouandjio has great punch, he's got heavy hands. He's got awesome size and he's got a good anchor. But he's also got heavy feet. Sure, he gets back into his depth for his kick slide but it's mostly length. Explosive rushers can and SHOULD exploit that, especially when you don't have a dominant run game to lean on. Long story short, I don't see him at this point as a top 15 pick as a LT. Could that change? Sure. But just catching him for the first time on film, I don't see it.

For Arkansas:

Finally, for the Razorbacks there were two guys in particular I wanted to see: DE Chris Smith (#42) and C Travis Swanson (#64). They both had quiet overall afternoons but I thought they each showed very differently. Swanson comes away a winner for me. Against Alabama's 3 man front, Swanson faced a lot of head up or gap coverage. He had a defender lined up across from him frequently. I thought he handled it very well and the Razorbacks managed to still gather 165 yards rushing. Swanson was a big part of that. I think he's a physically well built interior lineman and gave me everything I could have expected for a top tier C.

Chris Smith didn't give me much to work with. He looks like he moves well enough and is a good athlete, but I was waiting to see anything to connect him with a top tier prospect status and last weekend just wasn't it. I'm concerned, but willing to give him a pass because of the reasons already stated in regard to the 'How to defend Alabama' and the run vs. pass balance.
I have a few sights and people I follow for draft info but really enjoy these reads. Thank you hopefully they continue for some big games. I really like Cj Mosely a 3 down linebacker who can play all 3 spots and is much more athletic then the last 2 Alabama standouts Mcclain and hightower
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preview capsule for tonight's game:

Quote:
This week, we have a couple non-contending SEC teams as Kentucky (1-5) makes the trip south to face Mississippi State (3-3). Just because the records aren't great doesn't mean there isn't plenty to look forward to though! Here's who to keep an eye out for tonight:

Kentucky Wildcats:
- MLB Avery Williamson (#40)
- DE Alvin Dupree (#2)
- DE Za'Darius Smith (#94)

Za'Darius Smith is most likely going to start making some noise here in the near future. He's been quiet in the sack department since the start of SEC play, but he's still been around the ball. He's a JUCO transfer who didn't start playing football until his senior year of high school, but at 6'6 and 260 pounds, he certainly looks the part and from the brief film clips I've seen he has the first step to go with it. Things appear to be happening a little slowly and he's still got a ways to go in the finer points of the game but you can see the talent and he flashes. Fellow defensive end Alvin Dupree, however, has come on strong in league play, logging a sack in each of the last 4 games he's played. (He missed the game their game against Alabama with a pectoral injury, it will be interesting to see if he comes back after an additional week off with the team on a bye.) But he's got a nice first step himself and does a good job of battling with his hands. Senior Avery Williamson is the only player on this list guaranteed to be eligible for the draft this year, but he's a good one. A little smaller than the ideal, but he's got a great ability to diagnose and fill downhill in the run game. He plugs holes extremely well.

Mississippi State Bulldogs:
- G Gabe Jackson (#61)
- RB LaDarius Perkins (#27)
- S Nickoe Whitley (#1)

Three seniors lead the charge as pro prospects for Miss St. G Gabe Jackson looks like a legitimate Day 1 or 2 selection as he anchors down the interior of the offensive line. He can pull, he has good punch and a great anchor in pass protection and he has great size. Nickoe Whitley is a guy who at 6'1 and 205 pounds has good size. He's a redshirt senior but has given the Bulldogs good production all 4 years he has played, despite missing the tail end of his junior year for a torn achillies. He has 13 career interceptions as well, suggesting he has good ball skills. Tonight will be my first look at him, as well as RB LaDarius Perkins, who had a bit of a coming out party last year in breaking the 1,000 yard plateau. The start of the year for production was not kind to Perkins, as he missed time with an apparent foot injury and saw limited touches upon returning. But back to back 80+ yard rushing totals suggests things may be back on the upswing for the senior back.

Warpticon wrote:
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For Kentucky:

As expected, the defensive side of the football for the Wildcats got to showcase some quality talent. I'll start with who was the most hyped on Twitter during the live tweets last night, DE Za'Darius Smith (#94). For a guy who is still relatively new to football, his technique impressed me. He engaged with his hands, he maintained separation. He has a decent first step. He can play with leverage and moves above average in space. But a lot of the chatter was discussing how Smith was a better prospect than his linemate, DE Alvin Dupree (#2) and I can't help but totally disagree. Smith got himself into trouble in a couple different areas. First of all, he has zero pass rushing repertoire. Compounding the problem is he didn't show an ability to lean around the edge and run the pass rush track. His pass rushing skills are extremely raw. Additionally, Smith took poor pursuit on a number of running plays. He'd duck inside underneath a pulling blocker instead of trying to fight across his face to try to make a play and simply get out-run. Overall, I think if he tests well, he can still be a middle round pick because some scouts and coaches are going to see the physical talent he has and think that they can be the ones to coach him up and turn him into a steal.

Alvin Dupree, on the other hand, has essentially the exact opposite weaknesses. Dupree was all over the field last night. One of the perks of being a former linebacker. I was blown away by how he has the subtle aspects of pass rushing down. The hand fighting, the tight/compact rip move...he does a very good job keeping guys hands off him. I'd like to see him stay on his rush track more often, he looks like he'll have a guy beat but if he didn't like the angle he'd bail out early and try to cut back across his face. He also showed on a 4th quarter sack the ability to turn inside for a pass rush...he had a hard upfield step before laterally cutting across the tackle's face into a wide open B gap. Dupree's weakness comes from the basics. He doesn't engage and maintain separation as well and he doesn't play with a lot of leverage. Between the two, I think Dupree is the better prospect at the moment. I'll take a guy who has un-coachable elite talent and can rush the passer any day.

The final defensive piece of the puzzle last night was MLB Avery Williamson (#40). I can away with mixed feelings on this one as well. He plays downhill great. When he locks on a run read, he is quick to fill and he hits well. I saw him miss a few tackles though, and he had a CRUCIAL mental error with only a few minutes left on the field by totally ignoring the slot for Mississippi State and allowing them to convert a critical 3rd down and milk the clock. He was inconsistent with it, but did show an ability to play off blockers and disengage. I certainly don't think he's a 1st or 2nd day player, but he showed enough football instincts and physicality for me to feel after 1 full game that he deserves a place on someone's roster next spring.

For Mississippi State:

One player I did NOT have mixed feelings about last night was G Gabe Jackson (#61). He was dominant last night. I saw him anchoring on pass sets and totally shut down who ever he lined up across from. I saw him get out onto the 2nd level and cut Williamson on an interior run. I watched him pull and lead block for off tackle plays, I watched him absolutely BURY a blitzing defender on another pull the other way. When you pair his size (340 lbs) with how well he moves, he's the top interior lineman I've seen thus far this year. I shut off the tv last night totally impressed with his play.

RB LaDarius Perkins (#27) and S Nickoe Whitley (#1) were a little bit harder to evaluate...for different reasons. Perkins spent time in the locker room with what appeared to be a knee injury. He came back out and ran the ball well enough but perhaps more impressive was his receiving skills. Mississippi State lined him up outside and had him run a deep dig pattern and while the route itself was hideous, the strong hands Perkins showed to catch the ball with a defender draped all over him was impressive. He finished with 99 total yards of offense, another nice contribution overall. I just felt like he ran harder before he hit the locker room, so I'd like to see him in a full game without an injury to make any definitive conclusions.

Whitley, on the other hand, got an early shower after being ejected by the referee for slipping a few punches in a pile. It was his 2nd personal foul of the drive and he started the same drive with a really poor effort to make a tackle in the run game. It kind of looked like a kicker trying to stop Devin Hester in the open field. I was very disappointed not just with his ejection, but even his showing beforehand. Not a good night for Whitley.

A player from the Bulldogs secondary who DID have himself a good game was junior CB Jamerson Love (#5). He put everyone on notice with a deep pass defended in the end zone in the 1st quarter. A perfectly placed ball was swatted away after Love seemingly effortlessly floated up for some impressive height to get a full hand on the ball. After that, he showed consistently in run support and also was well within reach of his receivers when balls came his way. Player to watch going forward for sure.

Warpticon wrote:
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boise/BYU preview

Quote:
Last year this game finished with a 7-6 Boise victory featuring just one offensive touchdown and just 200 passing yards combined between the two teams. But at the rate each of these offenses have been playing lately, that might be our box score for the 1st quarter. Who makes each team go? Look no further:

Boise State Broncos
- LT Charles Leno Jr. (#78 )
- C Matt Paradis (#65)
- DE Demarcus Lawrence (#8 )
- RB Jay Ajayi (#27)

This will be my first time watching Boise State this year. The Broncos offensive line is anchored by 2 seniors, LT Charles Leno Jr. and C Matt Paradis. Each are in their 3rd consecutive year of starting for Boise State, they have a lot of experience. To give you an idea of their athleticism, Leno Jr. saw time at TE his RS freshman year due to injuries. He's a little small yet at 295 pounds, but that's not something that can't be fixed. Paradis actually was recruited to Boise as a defensive lineman, but after he redshirtted, he transitioned to interior line and hasn't looked back since. I'll be interested to see how each moves in space and how Leno Jr. can handle the inevitable encounters with BYU stud Kyle Van Noy. Running behind these guys is RS sophomore Jay Ajayi, who I very distinctly remember seeing on film. He's a nice runner. He's shifty with good size. I expect his speed score when he tests will be pretty high. He actually leads FBS in rushing touchdowns with 12, so you know he knows how to find pay dirt.

Defensively, JUCO transfer Demarcus Lawrence is apparently eying a jump to the pros after this season. If he keeps putting up 3.5 sack efforts like he did in their last game against Nevada, I can't say I'd blame him. He looks like a very long defender, I'll be interested to see how he uses that to his advantage tonight.

Brigham Young Cougars
- OLB Kyle Van Noy (#3)
- WR Cody Hoffman (#2)

This will also be my first time watching BYU this season. Cody Hoffman became BYU's all time leader in receptions earlier this year, and is a Biletnikoff watch lister after catching 100 passes his junior season. Production is way down, but that will happen when you miss 2 games (the season opener against Virginia and a month later against Middle Tennessee) Hoffman was battling a hamstring issue which appears to have resolved itself against Virginia, however against Middle Tennessee Hoffman was suspended for what was described as a violation of team rules.

This will NOT be my first time watching OLB Kyle Van Noy. Van Noy is a Butkus, Lott, Bednarik, Walter Camp, Bronco Nagurski and Rotary Lombardi Watch Lister. He caught my eye last year in the process of logging 13 sacks from his OLB position. By the standard he set the past 2 years, this has been a bit of a down year for him, so I'll be interested to see if it is game planning against him or if he has potentially hit a plateau. His motor is non-stop, he finds himself around the football very often and he plays very, very fast. He's also an accountable leader, taking unsolicited sole responsibility for the team's loss to Utah. Keep an eye on #3, he won't be hard to find. Just look for the ball and he won't be far off.

Warpticon wrote:

Last edited by ProudDolphan47 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dolphinemidget

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With their first pick in 2014 NFL draft the Miami Dolphins fire Jeff Ireland, BallBoy.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
12:20 PM EST - SEC: Vanderbilt @ #16 Texas A&M

Vanderbilt Commodores
- WR Jordan Matthews
- S Kenny Ladler
- CB Andre Hal

Texas A&M Aggies
- QB Johnny Manziel
- LT Jake Matthews
- WR Mike Evans
- OT Cedric Ogbuehi

The big question for this game is if Johnny Manziel will play, the Aggies played this one close to the chest all week. Regardless, there is PLENTY of talent to see in today's early game. Mike Evans looks to continue his big time production but will be met by a pretty talented Vanderbilt secondary, featuring 2 prospects I'm interested in catching up with, Kenny Ladler and Andre Hal. On the offensive side for Vanderbilt, Jordan Matthews is a draftnik favorite. This will be my first live evaluation of him, but I've seen plenty of clips. He's a refined receiver for sure.

3:30 PM EST - Big 12: #10 Texas Tech @ #15 Oklahoma

Texas Tech Red Raiders
- TE Jace Amaro
- DT Kerry Hyder
- WR Eric Ward

Oklahoma Sooners
- CB Aaron Colvin
- WR Jalen Saunders
- RB Damien Williams

Speaking of refined receivers, Texas Tech TE Jace Amaro has 9 catches in each of his last 5 games. Think about that. He's an incredible talent and fighting with Eric Ebron for top TE in the country. There are rumors that he's not interested in coming out this year, but we'll see how that goes come February. Eric Ward hopes to capitalize on the attention given to Amaro, but the Sooners hope to match them with the best passing defense in the country, led by CB Aaron Colvin. We'll see how much production Jalen Saunders can get today with Blake Bell passing him the ball.

8:00 PM EST - Big 10: Penn State @ #4 Ohio State

Penn State Nittany Lions
- WR Allen Robinson
- DT DaQuan Jones
- LB Glenn Carson

Ohio State Buckeyes
- LB Ryan Shazier
- CB Bradley Roby
- OT Jack Mewhort
- S CJ Barnett

Perhaps my favorite one on one match up of the day, Allen Robinson goes up against Bradley Roby. Roby was a guy I fell in love with during the process last year, but I've heard he's struggled mightily with technique issues this year. It'll be interesting to see for myself. I'm also looking forward to DaQuan Jones and Glenn Carson trying to slow the offense of the Buckeyes, who absolutely shredded them last year. If Penn State can keep Ryan Shazier off of freshman Christian Hackenberg, this has the potential to be an interesting game. Hackenberg can sling it.

10:30 PM EST - PAC 12: #8 Stanford @ #25 Oregon State

Stanford Cardinal
- DE Trent Murphy
- LB Shayne Skov
- DE Ben Gardner

Oregon State Beavers
- QB Sean Mannion
- WR Brandin Cooks
- DE Scott Crichton

My first game review of teams I've already seen. It will be interesting to see if the pass rush of the Cardinal can disrupt the timing of the passing offense for Oregon State. The Beavers have to be concerned that their offense is so one dimensional as is and should allow Stanford to tee off play after play. Beavers have to get some semblance of a running game going for them.

Warpticon wrote:
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
At 12:15 PM yesterday, there were questions about (#2) Johnny Manziel's throwing shoulder and the effect it might have on the game between the Vanderbilt Commodores and the Texas A&M Aggies. Those questions were answered by 12:30 PM. But first, let's take a look at the visiting team's side of a 56-24 Texas A&M victory.

For Vanderbilt:

WR Jordan Matthews (#87) had a nice game yesterday, setting the career SEC receiving yardage record on a 2nd effort play. Matthews got to show off his overall skill set with a sub-par Quarterback passing him the football. He gathers the ball with strong hands, catching the ball out away from his body. He made several catches in traffic across the middle, which is a very highly valuable skill for any receiver to show. He doesn't have the kind of speed to blow past you standing still, but he's very smooth and with a big frame at 6'3, you wouldn't expect that from him anyway. He's been consistently productive this season and will likely continue to be a safety blanket for his young passing offense. Matthews looks like a day 2 pick, somewhere in the 2nd/3rd round range just because physically he doesn't have the tools to jump off the page at you, but that doesn't mean he isn't a very good receiver.

Another nice game was logged by Vanderbilt S Kenny Ladler (#1). Any time you have an interception and 2 forced fumbles, you're doing something right. Ladler was active in run defense, being the last line of defense you would hope to expect in a safety. He doesn't look like a typical in the box kind of guy, but that's complimented by the fact that he tackles well. He's had at least 8 in every SEC match up this season. Can he handle the sidelines as a single high kind of guy? No, I don't believe he has that kind of speed. But speed isn't everything, it just makes you a limited piece. Ladler showed a nose for the ball and had a nice interception on a tipped ball by CB Andre Hal (#23). Hal struggled in his matchup against WR Mike Evans (#13). He looked shaky from the start and got beat deep down the field for a 43 yard touchdown pass. He did make a nice play on the interception by Ladler, but the throw was poor by Manziel, as Vanderbilt sat in zone and Hal passed Evans off but continued to give depth with the receiver in the flat coming late, which prevented Hal from sucking up and clearing the throw. Hal is a long corner at 6'1, which should help him. But he was largely unphysical with Mike Evans and let him gain consistent separation. That doesn't bode well for Hal.

For Texas A&M:

Where to start? Typical LT Jake Matthews (#75) got to show off his technical skills with a transition to RT for the game, since starting RT Cedric Ogbuehi (#70) missed the game with an injury. This was disappointing as I was looking forward to seeing Ogbuehi in action, but it was still a nice consolation prize to watch Matthews look incredibly refined for playing on the opposite side of the line. He footwork is immaculate. He's light on his feet, he moves well, he's got a powerful punch to stun defenders. He is by far and away the best T I have watched this year, and frankly I believe he's better than the entire T class last year.

Defensively, senior LB Steven Jenkins (#8 ) had himself a heck of a ball game. His presence was felt as a blitzer consistently and he disrupted the Commodore offense to the tune of 8 tackles, a sack and a pass defensed. Jenkins will be someone who needs to be looked at closely, as he was suspended for a game in 2012 and for the opening 2 games of the season this year. But if he can add 15 pounds and maintain the speed that he flashed yesterday, he is someone who could potential offer a defense some quality production. He would project as a WOLB in a 4-3, someone who has the speed to run down plays from the back side.

It appears as though I need to spend some serious time with Mike Evans. For a guy his size, him getting open down the field just doesn't make sense. He doesn't look like a great route runner and I know for certain that his production is inflated by the ability of Manziel to extend plays. So it continues to baffle me that he can simply run right past guys. I'm also not sold on his hands, he shows the ability to high point a ball (which at his size is a great and valuable tool) but he doesn't look like he catches very strongly with his hands on balls coming into his chest. Evans did a good job doing what Mike Evans does...producing big plays. He had a nice game. But the real challenge for talent evaluators is going to be figuring out if it is sustainable at the next level against higher level athletes.

Speaking of challenges for talent evaluators, Johnny Manziel is as polarizing as they come. Personally? I love Johnny. I think he is a great talent and I think he can be a great talent in the NFL as well. For all of his question marks...the durability, the footwork, the sustainability of his style of play, he made some damn good throws yesterday that you just don't make by mistake. Manziel can throw on the run, he can drop balls into the bucket downfield, he can thread a throw 20 yards out in front of a receiver up high where he can make a play, like he did on his 2nd touchdown to WR Derel Walker (#11). Johnny is by no means a perfect prospect. Maturity is an issue. Do I think it is over scrutinized? Absolutely. But Manziel in the past offseason should have made some different decisions. He is short. think he'll be lucky to measure at 6'0. The way he carries the football on a scramble is simply baffling how he doesn't consistently fumble. His pocket presence can be good at times, but other times needs refining as he will bail and roll out early on a pocket that is still formed and sealed. Manziel is a player you simply have to plug into your grading formula and then trust it. His play will make many people love him and hate him. Take all of the emotion out of it, follow your formula...and that's what he is. It should be that way for everyone, but someone who creates so many differing opinions, as a scout it is important that you take the bias out. A good lesson for everyone. I think he does more good than bad, and he'll likely be a borderline 1st round pick in my grading scale.

Warpticon wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: