Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Game Day Week 7 @ Lions (4-2)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who Wins?
Bengals
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
Lions
54%
 54%  [ 6 ]
My fantasy football team
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 11

Hokie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:

Back story: after week 2, there were a few guys (that shall be unnamed) that claimed that Dalton needed to be replaced immediately. As in like before practice on Wednesday. A fight ensued, and it's boiled over to week 7.

Well, that makes sense. I don't think I was one of those guys, but I might have been. I tend to vent when a sports team of mine frustrates me. Better to do it on an online forum than in "real life", I suppose...
Hokie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LB, I simply don't have the energy to go on and on about this. lol

I will say that I agree completely with your last point (about being 5-2) and that I feel much, much better about Dalton and the offense going forward than I did two weeks ago. He looked great today. The vast majority of his throws were right on the money, and if he continues to play this well, I'm confident that not only we'll win the division, but possibly even get a bye as well.

Health will be a big key of course, as the Leon Hall injury shows. I'm now worried about the secondary going forward.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
A fight ensued......
Was that a fight?

if I'd have known I'd have put my gum-shield in.....
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie wrote:
I'm confident that not only we'll win the division, but possibly even get a bye as well.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here. Somehow, someway, were 5-2 having won some close games, just like the NFL wants it. Lots of close tough games coming up, including four more division games and 2 absolutely vital ones v BAL.

We were 3-5 at the halfway mark last year, and if we can beat the jets next week we'll be 6-2 this year.

Are we twice as good this year than last ? Don't think so.

Just when you think things are going well, the NFL has this habit of punching you on the nose. Like losing Leon today. Doesn't pay to look too far ahead.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
Just when you think things are going well, the NFL has this habit of punching you on the nose..........Doesn't pay to look too far ahead.
Any given Sunday...... Who'd've thunk the Colts would beat up on the Broncos and the Rams would lose their QB.......
theJ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
LondonBengal wrote:
Just when you think things are going well, the NFL has this habit of punching you on the nose..........Doesn't pay to look too far ahead.
Any given Sunday...... Who'd've thunk the Colts would beat up on the Broncos and the Rams would lose their QB.......

The first doesn't surprise me. The colts are a good team, and while the Broncos are obviously great, a lot depended on Peyton throwing 5 TD's/game. It just wasn't sustainable. They're going to lose 3-4 games this year.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
theJ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i just unearthed something that's going to cause a big stir here.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/06/29/three-years-of-deep-passing/

This article was posted in the Lions forum as they were complaining about Stafford's deep ball. Take a look at the list in the final table. Now, i don't have PFF, and i generally take a lot of what's posted there with a grain of salt. So the disclaimer's:

-This only includes Andy's first season (2011). I'd like to see what the stats look like with last year and this year tacked on. Seems like his deep ball that first year was better (but IDK).
-Obviously this metric has no way to account for good plays made by the WR on an underthrown ball (however, see my post in this thread about how i don't necessarily mind underthrown balls, as they're better than the reverse - an overthrown ball).
-In 2011, no receiver dropped a deep ball by Andy, further proof that the WR's just balled out.

All that being said, just curious to see what the reaction is here.

Last Disclaimer: i recognize Andy's shortcomings. I know his deep ball isn't better than guys like Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees. I know he misses some, and it does prevent the offense from take that final step. But, i will contend the notion that it's something he has to learn how to do in order for the Bengals to take the next step. I think he's proven he can play well enough with the talent around him for this team to make a run. So, with flame suit on, i'm hitting the submit button.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
RedGreenShow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The O-line played outstanding yesterday. Dalton had all day to throw. Alot of time we went max protect and just let a few wideouts beat their man. I also saw Gruden call a lot more deep drops, putting Dalton way back in the pocket. When he can see the rushers coming he doesn't look jumpy at all. When he's in the pocket for more than 3 seconds he looks jittery. I think thats the way this often should go moving forward. Dalton is fantastic when he has time. He can put the ball where he wants.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedGreenShow wrote:
I also saw Gruden call a lot more deep drops, putting Dalton way back in the pocket. When he can see the rushers coming he doesn't look jumpy at all. When he's in the pocket for more than 3 seconds he looks jittery.
Sure, but don't you think that applies to all QB's to a greater or lesser extent ? In fairness to guys like Flacco and Ryan, they look less flustered than most, but like you said it depends on the protections called. Peyton looked real antsy in indy last night for example......
Anonymous3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
Vindicatedxx wrote:
LondonBengal wrote:
Anonymous3 wrote:
Zimmer with another perfectly timed blitz at the end of a game. We need to make him our head coach before someone else does!
Don't necessarily agree that because Zim is a great D co-ordinator, that automatically makes him a good HC. Plenty of good DC's have not been good HC's.........

Interesting thought though.......
Like Wade Phillips and Rob Ryan
Mike Nolan, Rod Marinelli; its a long list.

If you watched Mike Zimmer on 'Hard Knocks', his language is quite 'colourful' too.

Can you imagine all the 'f-bombs' he'd drop at all those post game press conferences, and all those bad calls on the field. Don't think that would work too well......... He'd be the first HC fined by the NFL for 'excessive cussin;'...........

Plenty of D Coordinators who have become great coaches as well. I'm not a huge Marvin Lewis supporter, and I'd much rather give Zimmer a chance than hope Lewis can become anything more than an average coach and a god awful game manager. Obviously I understand reality is unless we tank this season or even next, Marvin is here to stay and Zimmer will most likely get his shot somewhere else.

And I don't think his language is an issue. Plenty of coaches have a sailor's mouth.,

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a win like this, you gotta start finally believing this team is finally for real now. Its hard to start out this good at 5-2 right now, and somehow have people believe this team is still not proven themselves as a playoff team yet.

Dalton is hot right now, but it does worry me that Gruden doesn't have enough faith in the running game.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCincinnati wrote:
After a win like this, you gotta start finally believing this team is finally for real now. Its hard to start out this good at 5-2 right now, and somehow have people believe this team is still not proven themselves as a playoff team yet.

Dalton is hot right now, but it does worry me that Gruden doesn't have enough faith in the running game.

Honestly, I'm not more or less excited about this team now than I was after the game in CLE. You have to take a balanced view. We're 5-2, but we all know if we don't get the breaks we did v GB/ NE/ BUF & DET, we could easily be 2-5 or 1-6; that's the NFL.

We've had 'talented' teams before, and won nothing. I'm grateful we're 5-2 now, but we could easily end up 8-8. Any more injuries to key players like Leon Hall, and we could be stuffed. Our defensive secondary is looking real fragile......
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
MrCincinnati wrote:

Honestly, I'm not more or less excited about this team now than I was after the game in CLE. You have to take a balanced view. We're 5-2, but we all know if we don't get the breaks we did v GB/ NE/ BUF & DET, we could easily be 2-5 or 1-6; that's the NFL.

We've had 'talented' teams before, and won nothing. I'm grateful we're 5-2 now, but we could easily end up 8-8. Any more injuries to key players like Leon Hall, and we could be stuffed. Our defensive secondary is looking real fragile......

It's time to fill the glass back up to "all-full" and none empty
MrCincinnati

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
MrCincinnati wrote:

8-8 is an understatement in my mind. Sure I remember 2 years ago they started out 6-2 and finished bad. But they still managed to go 9-7 so a 3-5 span in the 2nd half isnt bad. And as far as I'm concerned 9 games would be enough to win the division.

The Bengals have shown that history isnt getting to them anymore. Everyone said they cannot beat the playoffs team and they did just that so far for most of the year. Nobody is gonna look at the fact that those games were close. A win is a win at the end of the day, its not being controlled like the BCS rules.

The one thing left to do though is beat the Ravens. Thats the one thing they still haven't been able to figure out to do yet. That one win last year doesn't really count anyway, so pretty soon things are about get clear.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
I think i just unearthed something that's going to cause a big stir here.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/06/29/three-years-of-deep-passing/

This article was posted in the Lions forum as they were complaining about Stafford's deep ball. Take a look at the list in the final table. Now, i don't have PFF, and i generally take a lot of what's posted there with a grain of salt. So the disclaimer's:

-This only includes Andy's first season (2011). I'd like to see what the stats look like with last year and this year tacked on. Seems like his deep ball that first year was better (but IDK).
-Obviously this metric has no way to account for good plays made by the WR on an underthrown ball (however, see my post in this thread about how i don't necessarily mind underthrown balls, as they're better than the reverse - an overthrown ball).
-In 2011, no receiver dropped a deep ball by Andy, further proof that the WR's just balled out.

All that being said, just curious to see what the reaction is here.

Last Disclaimer: i recognize Andy's shortcomings. I know his deep ball isn't better than guys like Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees. I know he misses some, and it does prevent the offense from take that final step. But, i will contend the notion that it's something he has to learn how to do in order for the Bengals to take the next step. I think he's proven he can play well enough with the talent around him for this team to make a run. So, with flame suit on, i'm hitting the submit button.

Not allowed to comment about the QB; gets me in to too much trouble.......

Probably needs a new thread 'J'.......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: