Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Building a new offense

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franck8666

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Building a new offense Reply with quote

After the huge success of Gentlemen and Cie on building a successful defense through the draft and handling the salary caps nightmare of Hurney, do you think they can do the same thing on offense? What do you think they should do in FA and on draft to bring this offense to the same level of play of our defense?

Here my thought

1- Clear as much money for our salary cap. We need to sign Hardy this offseason. Newton and Keek are our next top priority. http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Panthers&Year=2014

2- Sign a starting RG: We need to improve our right side of the ball, so a starting RG with moving Gross to RT should keep Newton straight.

3- Try to sign Nicks: Newton need weapons

4- Draft a LT (1 round a) : Football game are win in the trenches, A new LG with Silotalu, Kalyl, starting RG and Gross should improve our running game and pass protection for Newton.

5- If the BPA is a WR (1 round b), draft him: Having 2 number 1 WR on this team with Smith in the slot can be a lethal combination aka Falcons (Jones and White)

6- Draft a TE (2 round): Having a big athletic pass-catcher TE who could go in the middle of the field and be a red zone threat would help Newton with is intermediate throws and help on is overthrowing problems, like with Olsen and Shockey.

7- Draft RT (3 rounds): If we cannot find a good RG through FA, we can slide Gross at RG and draft a RT or vive-versa

Share your opinion
Wink
catamount

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this thread--I understand that you are sticking out your neck a bit because if 30 people respond, nobody will agree.

I think we are all operation on some basic assumptions (you mention most here) that we should re-examine from Gettlemen's perspective. They have to do with the "bang for the buck" theory.

1. Cam Newton will get a huge contract in the next 16 months. If we are not winning, he could be cut or dealt. Everyone wants to blame the WRs and OL, but we are in every game with a chance to win. Cam's QB rating is 51 in the 4th quarter, half of what it is in the 3rd quarter. When the team is within a score (7 points or less) in the fourth quarter, Cam's rating drops to 18. Overall, his rating is about 90. How many times has Cam--in his carreer--directed us to a come-from-behind victory in the 4th quarter? A: 2 38% of all games Cam has played are characterized by losing the game after leading in the 4th quarter. The same stuff everyone wants to blame on Rivera, can also be blamed on the QB. Personally, I think Gettlemen brings in a coach and then they find a QB who fits their system. I am willing to bet that Cam is not given a contract offer until RR's fate is sealed. Cam has blown out 2 teams this season--a combined 1-11 record. Buffalo, Arizona--we need to win those games.

2. We will re-sign Greg Hardy. We would love to re-sign him, but what could we do with $10-12 million at positions where we have more need? Alexander is coming along and they seem to like Wes Horton and Addison. While we would drop some on the DL, we could gain elsewhere. Are we really going to have 25% of the cap wrapped up in 2 players on the DL? Hardy is a head case, and if you give that kind of money to him you never know what the results will be.

Here is what I would do:
1. Leave the $8m offer on the table for Hardy. If he can do better, we save the $$. I am not sure that he can. He has 3 sacks vs. the Giants. That is it. If he walks, Frank Alexander, come on down. THe best teams are not held hostage by need--they know that a DE commands big bucks so they draft a good one every 4 years. That way, only one is on a second contract.
2. Draft TACKLES. I am assuming that Gross is retiring. While I am encouraged by the Chandler whispers, Bell sucks. He is a reserve T--nothing more. In the first round, draft a LT who can play now.
3. Draft a good CB in the second round. I hope a few step up by year's end, but Munnerlyn and Thomas and White and Dockery and Norman??? They would not start at Alabama.
4. In the third round, I would draft a WR. I think there has been value in the third round at WR in recent years and this year looks like no exception to that rule. Moncrief (Ole Miss) Parker (Louisville) are currently projected as third rounders. That is value. I would also re-sign Ginn, move Smitty to the slot, and find a #1 WR in free agency. (That is why I do not get into a bidding war for Hardy). Lafell would be a consideration, but he is an average to below average #2--they are a dime a dozen, so why pay him on a second contract? If he continues to do well, maybe that changes.
5. OLB--I have not been a huge fan of Klein when he is in and question his ability to start. Blackburn will be 33 or 34 and Davis will be 33. Our 4th rounder needs to be an OLB.

About RG--I like Scott. I also want to give Kugbila a chance to see what he can do. I probably draft a G late in the draft.
Drics13

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catamount wrote:

2. We will re-sign Greg Hardy. We would love to re-sign him, but what could we do with $10-12 million at positions where we have more need? Alexander is coming along and they seem to like Wes Horton and Addison. While we would drop some on the DL, we could gain elsewhere. Are we really going to have 25% of the cap wrapped up in 2 players on the DL? Hardy is a head case, and if you give that kind of money to him you never know what the results will be.

Here is what I would do:
1. Leave the $8m offer on the table for Hardy. If he can do better, we save the $$. I am not sure that he can. He has 3 sacks vs. the Giants. That is it. If he walks, Frank Alexander, come on down. THe best teams are not held hostage by need--they know that a DE commands big bucks so they draft a good one every 4 years. That way, only one is on a second contract.

Good response. I agree with this, I dont think Hardy is worth 10-12 a year. I think our DT's will get better, use Alexander and draft another project in later rounds. It leaves us more flexible incase Hardys form drops also. I think he is a great player but it will hamper our ability to better the rest of the team having so much money on the DL.
boondock

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Retool the Oline. Draft LT early, move Gross to RT. Keep Kalil and Silatolu at their respective spots. Move Bell to RG. Draft depth.

2. Cut Smitty. I really hated typing that sentence. He's the ultimate Panther. I don't think he's doing us any favors anymore. He's slowed down, doesn't have the legs he once had. I feel the coaches are obligated to play him a lot due to his stature with the organization.

3. Find Cam 2 offensive weapons wether that be another pass catching TE, a possession WR, a big play ability guy, or just a consistent slot target. We need consistent skill players on the offensive side of the ball.

4. Find someone to mentor Cam, someone to get him over the hump from a leadership perspective.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
1. Retool the Oline. Draft LT early, move Gross to RT. Keep Kalil and Silatolu at their respective spots. Move Bell to RG. Draft depth.

2. Cut Smitty. I really hated typing that sentence. He's the ultimate Panther. I don't think he's doing us any favors anymore. He's slowed down, doesn't have the legs he once had. I feel the coaches are obligated to play him a lot due to his stature with the organization.

3. Find Cam 2 offensive weapons wether that be another pass catching TE, a possession WR, a big play ability guy, or just a consistent slot target. We need consistent skill players on the offensive side of the ball.

4. Find someone to mentor Cam, someone to get him over the hump from a leadership perspective.

I wouldn't necessarily cut Smitty, but I would drastically reduce his role. I think he'd make a great slot receiver. However, if we were to do either, we'd need a WR who is a legit #1 right away, which to me means we either trade for a WR or sign one in FA. We can't afford to wait on a draft pick to develop.

I like the mentor to Cam. Matt Hasslebeck jumps out at me for this role.

OL is the priority, and targets for Cam is priority #2. I think CB is a distant 3rd at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faccda01 wrote:
boondock wrote:

I wouldn't necessarily cut Smitty, but I would drastically reduce his role. I think he'd make a great slot receiver. However, if we were to do either, we'd need a WR who is a legit #1 right away, which to me means we either trade for a WR or sign one in FA. We can't afford to wait on a draft pick to develop.

OL is the priority, and targets for Cam is priority #2. I think CB is a distant 3rd at this point.

For the amount of money we'd be paying Smitty; we would be better of cutting him rather than moving him to the slot; which he's playing now, in a reduced role. Give him the opportunity to go somewhere else, or resign with the team on the cheap.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely agree with the OL side of things. We need to find someone to play RG for sure. Whether the answer is sliding Byron Bell down there, finding a solid guard in free agency, or drafting someone. And Gross is definitely better suited for the right side at this point. With how deep this first round OT class looks, I think we should definitely be able to find someone to start from day 1 at LT.

I love the idea of drafting a TE early too. Cam seemed so much more comfortable when he had Olsen and Shockey to rely on. We might even be able to get an early contributor in the 3rd, a guy like CJ Fiedorowicz (sp?) from Iowa, or Xavier Grimble from USC.

As long as there isn't too much of a bidding war on him, I'd love to get Nicks too. Frees up the draft for us to go after a TE or get some more help in the secondary.

Another thing I think is important is to get another QB on the roster who can do some of the things Cam can. A guy like Logan Thomas in the late rounds could work, a veteran backup could be good too (Seneca Wallace type).
fretgod99

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me some O-Line help and another pass-catching TE and I think you'll be surprised at the massive turnaround. No need to sign a big-name FA WR. But if you can get one on a good deal, go for it.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Franck8666

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really believe that drafting a WR is a most thouh. Round 1 to 4 should be all on offensive side of the ball, something like WR/LT, TE, T/WR (depend of the first round) and a project WR (big and strong aka Boldin) the four next pick should be bpa or CB. If Smith is cut due to salary cap, WR is our top priory in the draft and FA.
Grizzly224

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OL, OL, OL

Could we use another play maker in the passing game? Absolutely. But the biggest thing that would make this offense turn the corner would be studs on the OL.
iknowcool

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
Give me some O-Line help and another pass-catching TE and I think you'll be surprised at the massive turnaround. No need to sign a big-name FA WR. But if you can get one on a good deal, go for it.

We still need to see the situation play out, but I wouldn't mind Colt Lyerla in the 6th or 7th round. Extremely gifted and not much to lose in those rounds. But sounds like there is something really wrong with him so will be a wait and see thing.
faccda01

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
faccda01 wrote:
boondock wrote:

For the amount of money we'd be paying Smitty; we would be better of cutting him rather than moving him to the slot; which he's playing now, in a reduced role. Give him the opportunity to go somewhere else, or resign with the team on the cheap.

Yes, very true. I'd imagine a pay cut would be on the horizon, and I don't think Steve would have a problem with that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: