Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Montee Ball vs. Ronnie Hillman
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheChosen186

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Montee Ball vs. Ronnie Hillman Reply with quote

I feel like at this point, Moreno has secured the job as the #1 RB on the depth chart for this team this season. The real question is who will be the #2 RB on the depth chart for the rest of the season and who will be more useful and better in the future between Hillman and Ball. In the beginning of the season, it was Ball that was the #2 back behind Moreno but he fumbled his ability to be the #2 back away. Hillman has replaced him and has done a great job as the #2 back.

So a few questions for you all....

1.) Who should backup Moreno/be the #2 RB for the rest of the season?
2.) If Moreno goes down with an injury, who should be the starting RB?
3.) Which RB has a bigger upside?

My answers....

Hillman for all.

Honestly, Ball is making me lose more and more confidence in him every week. He is just too mistake prone out there whether it's because of his inability to block, inability to get yards, inability to secure the ball, or inability to catch. The guy honestly has bust written all over him at this point. RB is probably the easiest position to transition to from college to pros, so there isn't much of an excuse for Ball's poor performance so far this season. I hope Ball figures it out but I am not sure if he will and if he does I feel like it will be next season or in his 3rd season, not this season.

Hillman might not be the interior rusher that Ball is but I feel like Hillman's all-around ability such as his receiving, blocking, experience, and his explosiveness is better for this offense than Ball.

Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the awesome sig.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that thinking of players in terms of 1st, 2nd and 3rd team is foolish. Especially at a position like RB. And please don't take that personally TheChosen186, I think you've started a good discussion here.

But the bottom line is that the NFL by and large has evolved into a sport with a lot of niche players who fill specialized roles; a 3rd down back, a situational pass rusher, a goal line/short yardage d-tackle, a deep-threat WR, a nickel CB, etc.

I think Knowshon is our clear cut #1 back. The other two cannot be trusted. Hillman is the definition of a niche player and Ball cannot hold onto the ball (although he did some work today in limited action). But don't think Fox or Gase are looking at things as a #1, #2, #3 with striated playing time. \

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
TheChosen186

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:

I think Knowshon is our clear cut #1 back. The other two cannot be trusted. Hillman is the definition of a niche player and Ball cannot hold onto the ball (although he did some work today in limited action). But don't think Fox or Gase are looking at things as a #1, #2, #3 with striated playing time. \

When discussing #1, #2, and #3, I am mainly discussing who you think will see the most snaps after Moreno if he were to go down and after Moreno, who will see more snaps between the two. I definitely understand what you mean about how things are specialized and how situational the NFL has become due to packages and plays and such. You could argue that Hillman could see more time than Ball because his ability and skills will blend in with Denver's offense more or vice versa. I am also curious at seeing which one you guys think have a better upside and if we had to keep one for the future, who would you pick?

AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheChosen186 wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:

When discussing #1, #2, and #3, I am mainly discussing who you think will see the most snaps after Moreno if he were to go down and after Moreno, who will see more snaps between the two. I am also curious at seeing which one you guys think have a better upside and if we had to keep one for the future, who would you pick?

In that case Ball is a more complete back than Hillman. So he might see more but I'd honestly expect a time split. More than that, I'd expect CJ Anderson to get a chance to prove what he can do.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
bobdevine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Montee Ball vs. Ronnie Hillman Reply with quote

TheChosen186 wrote:
I feel like at this point, Moreno has secured the job as the #1 RB on the depth chart for this team this season. The real question is who will be the #2 RB on the depth chart for the rest of the season.

I'm sure that's a big topic at Dove Valley. My guess is that the team will stick with RBBC instead of picking a single do-everything running back.

Moreno gets 10-15 plays now and if he gets hurt, Hillman and Ball will get increased playing time. CJ Anderson will be worked into the RBBC rotation sometime this year when his knee injury is over.
ihatepotholes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ball is making too many rookie mistakes, but he is a far better runner than Hillman. He runs harder, hits the holes harder, better vision, makes better decisions and he doesn't go down as soon as he is touched.

I think he will learn from his mistakes.
broncos67

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ihatepotholes wrote:
Ball is making too many rookie mistakes, but he is a far better runner than Hillman. He runs harder, hits the holes harder, better vision, makes better decisions and he doesn't go down as soon as he is touched.

I don't agree with some of these. Ball might be a harder runner than Hillman, but I think Hillman has much better vision, and his explosiveness is something no other RB on this roster has. Also, Hillman is much better in pass pro.

Thanks, Tzimisce
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if there is a RBBC anymore. To me, it is pretty clear cut that Moreno is the guy. I know he only had 10-15 carries, but he also had 7 or 8 receptions yesterday during the Jags game.

In terms of a second RB, I think Hillman is just that. He has made some solid plays in that role too. We have to realize that it is just Hillman's second season and it is only Ball's first season, and I think those guys are still learning how to walk before they run.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it will stay the same as what it is right now...

Moreno starts and handles a majority of the snaps.
Hillman spells Knowshon and is used in open spaces
Ball will see a few snaps every game but usually when team is up big

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
ihatepotholes wrote:

I don't agree with some of these. Ball might be a harder runner than Hillman, but I think Hillman has much better vision, and his explosiveness is something no other RB on this roster has. Also, Hillman is much better in pass pro.

How often does Hillman dance behind the line of scrimmage and then get tackled for loss? All the freaking time.
champ+jay+al=SB

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ihatepotholes wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
ihatepotholes wrote:

How often does Hillman dance behind the line of scrimmage and then get tackled for loss? All the freaking time.

Really not that often. His problem is he can't break a tackle.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ihatepotholes wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
ihatepotholes wrote:

Not that often...have you watched him this year? In general, Hillman has been much more decisive than he was in preseason. He goes down fairly easily, I'll agree, but he does tend to get good yardage.

Thanks, Tzimisce
champ+jay+al=SB

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, we need to hope that Knowshon doesn't get hurt this year. And we need to hope that Montee and Ronnie are ready to take over next year.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

champ+jay+al=SB wrote:

Really not that often. His problem is he can't break a tackle.

Yup, Hillman goes down easily and doesn't get yards after contact. Hillman shoots out like a cannon though when he runs outside which is why he gets big carries a lot. I think Ball is a better interior rusher but Hillman is literally better at everything else especially when it comes to blocking and being a receiver which is probably more important for this offense than pure running.

I think that if Shanny was still the coach, Ball would be starting because Ball is the best runner of the group. Since it's Fox and this offense is entirely based on the pass, the RBs have different roles and expectations than the prototypical RB. RBs are more so expected to block and catch passes in this offense. Hillman does a better job in those areas than Ball, so I think Hillman should get majority of playing time.

I would find it sad if Moreno ever goes out and then CJ Anderson ends up taking the starting job over both.

KC_Broncos_Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They both frustrate me Twisted Evil Hillman is really prone to fumble, and Ball has some stone hands. Has me nervous every time Moreno is out of the game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: