Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

AJ Hawk
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CentralFC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
ChaRisMa wrote:
If this gets him a new contract that ultimately leaves us feeling we are overpaying I am going to be so sad. He's underrated for the entirety of his career on this board but he isn't an All-Pro like we thought he'd be.

I do think he falls short of those All-Pro marks. That's not to say Hawk has in any way been a poor pick in my eyes. I mean, hard to say what Hawk would have turned into had he stayed at Will in the 40. LIS, I truly feel Hawk falls short in the eyes of some because he is a team first guy in every way. Many in his spot would have forced a few hands along the way to "look better". Could have done some things with that rare straight line speed as well(bet you can count on one hand those that can beat Hawk in a 40 on this team TODAY).

Shields, Franklin, Nelson, Burnett, Cobb, and maybe Hayward.

Actually now that I think about it, that's pretty impressive.
palmy50

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaRisMa wrote:
40Year Pack Fan wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
Hawk has been impressive all year. Jumped out more this year during games than he has in probably the previous 3 seasons.

This doesn't mean he's playing way, way, way better ball necessarily (but he might be) - he's just making the plays now that show up on TV in the live game.

Very happy with him.

Perhaps he's matured as well....Realizes Matthews will be out for a while and it's time for him to step up....

AJ Hawk has been a man since he got here. Third sack he just walks back to huddle. He's busting tail every day. He is an emotional guy, but he's got a lot of responsibility and I prefer his leadership style for this young defense--he's a professional who lets his play talk and puts his teammates where they need to be. If he could get Jerron McMillian to learn how to play safety that'd be the one thing were missing right now.

That's part of what I'm talking about as well. I mean, if Hawk had some type of crazy dance he did after every play he made many would come to relize he make a TON of plays out there. I would give the fact he is stiff to anyone. But outside of that very clear flaw Hawk is a very good football player.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has only missed 2 games in his career due to injury. For this team, that says a lot in and of itself.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squire12 wrote:
He has only missed 2 games in his career due to injury. For this team, that says a lot in and of itself.

yep. Dependability is a big plus with Hawk. Get consistency from him every week. I can imagine that's a coaches dream out there...
palmy50

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
ChaRisMa wrote:
If this gets him a new contract that ultimately leaves us feeling we are overpaying I am going to be so sad. He's underrated for the entirety of his career on this board but he isn't an All-Pro like we thought he'd be.

I do think he falls short of those All-Pro marks. That's not to say Hawk has in any way been a poor pick in my eyes. I mean, hard to say what Hawk would have turned into had he stayed at Will in the 40. LIS, I truly feel Hawk falls short in the eyes of some because he is a team first guy in every way. Many in his spot would have forced a few hands along the way to "look better". Could have done some things with that rare straight line speed as well(bet you can count on one hand those that can beat Hawk in a 40 on this team TODAY).

Shields, Franklin, Nelson, Burnett, Cobb, and maybe Hayward.

Actually now that I think about it, that's pretty impressive.

Love Packers fans...... Laughing

Was just running at the mouth with that one. But after thinkin about it I'm pretty sure Cobb, Nelson, House, Nixon, Franklin, and Shields would all get him and a few others would be right there with him. Either way, Hawk is RARE fast in a straight line at scale. Just sayin things could be done with said rare skill if hands had been forced along the way. Not sayin it's right. Just sayin it might have change how some fans view Hawk a great deal. I'm a little different there. Just makes me respect the man all that much more. Don't think for one sec the players don't know this as well. Reason why he gets votes from his team, players know!

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: AJ Hawk Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
daintrain28 wrote:
8 Tackles.

3 sacks.

Looked darn impressive in pass coverage.

A lock for NFC DPOW.

Is it possible that we are finally going to see him become the player we thought we were getting when we drafted him #5 overall in 2006?

I don't mean to suggest that he was a bust, just rather pedestrian for a high DP.

Today he looked like Ray Lewis. Perhaps the scheme, and his new found speed finally favors him. Maybe this is the new Hawk.

Maybe he becomes a new difference-maker for us.

Thoughts?

You're smarter than this, Dain.

It was an over-exaggeration to make a point. He had a whale of a game, I didn't literally mean he looked like Ray Lewis.

Thanks packerbacker87 for the sig!
I Am Rodgers wrote:
We traded MD Jennings for Julius Peppers. TT DA WHITE WIZARD
Dunderhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody pay attention to when CJ Wilson and Mike Daniels came in to give the DL guys a break. Hawk and the rest of that defense didn't look too good. That's when Rice got his 11 yard scamper.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Hawk, I like him and he's a good player. Obviously he's faster out there than at maybe anytime, perhaps the year the Pack won the SB? Probably not.

The difference I see is Jolly, Pickett fence (who must have bribed Father Time), and Raji. Those guys are swallowing up O-lines. With the way they play the are at least giving Hawk an opportunity to show his ability. And Mike Daniels hasn't been a slouch either on the passing downs.

What's scary? Jolly is probably still playing the weakest of the BIG 3. I think he's still a bit out of shape and trying to get the rust off. TT might seriously want to think about tossing that guy a few extra bucks and keeping him while the price is cheap.
UpTheSeam85

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunderhead wrote:
Anybody pay attention to when CJ Wilson and Mike Daniels came in to give the DL guys a break. Hawk and the rest of that defense didn't look too good. That's when Rice got his 11 yard scamper.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Hawk, I like him and he's a good player. Obviously he's faster out there than at maybe anytime, perhaps the year the Pack won the SB? Probably not.

The difference I see is Jolly, Pickett fence (who must have bribed Father Time), and Raji. Those guys are swallowing up O-lines. With the way they play the are at least giving Hawk an opportunity to show his ability. And Mike Daniels hasn't been a slouch either on the passing downs.

What's scary? Jolly is probably still playing the weakest of the BIG 3. I think he's still a bit out of shape and trying to get the rust off. TT might seriously want to think about tossing that guy a few extra bucks and keeping him while the price is cheap.

I really don't think Jolly has any plans on leaving GB, not that I can speak for him, that's just my educated guess. The guy loves GB and we have treated him right.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJ Hawk has been one of the most consistent players on the Packers since he arrived in GB and I'm glad he's a Packer. Barely missed any games, he's a team first player and he's never had any off the field issues, I'll take that over a lot of MLBs in the league. I hope he retires a Packer.
Tohnren

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwaye50 wrote:
AJ Hawk has been one of the most consistent players on the Packers since he arrived in GB and I'm glad he's a Packer. Barely missed any games, he's a team first player and he's never had any off the field issues, I'll take that over a lot of MLBs in the league. I hope he retires a Packer.

I hope he retires a Packer as well. He's been one of my favorite players for quite a few years now.
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueswedeshoes wrote:
I think his coaches would think we're crazy for not knowing that he is an above average player who has been consistently on the field for eight years.

Who said he wasn't? I'm sure you'd agree though that when you pick a player with the 5th overall pick you expect more than an "above average player."

Today was the first time I saw a difference maker, which is what Packer fans are hoping he would be for years.

Thanks packerbacker87 for the sig!
I Am Rodgers wrote:
We traded MD Jennings for Julius Peppers. TT DA WHITE WIZARD
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daintrain28 wrote:
blueswedeshoes wrote:
I think his coaches would think we're crazy for not knowing that he is an above average player who has been consistently on the field for eight years.

Who said he wasn't? I'm sure you'd agree though that when you pick a player with the 5th overall pick you expect more than an "above average player."

Today was the first time I saw a difference maker, which is what Packer fans are hoping he would be for years.

I agree AJ Hawk was a difference maker in this game, but he has been really good in all games this year. If you haven't noticed.....AJ Hawk is having a pro bowl year.
driftwood

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo2012 wrote:
AJ Hawk is having a pro bowl year.

& hes not even a 3 down player...

that's how much it helps when you put a guy in positions to succeed... for all the crap i give Dom for his lack of adjustments in-game, he has done a good job at getting the most out of AJ's ability

hes doing something very similar with hyde as well (giving him that woodson type role)
duxrule

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The play that stands out to me is the screen to the tight end....solo tackle out in the flat with no help nearby....read the play....made the tackle. The sacks were sweet and with no Clay around, needed badly. Nice complete game.
Trizzcuit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJ will be on the Dan Patrick show later this morning for anyone interested.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: