Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

AJ Hawk
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: AJ Hawk Reply with quote

8 Tackles.

3 sacks.

Looked darn impressive in pass coverage.

A lock for NFC DPOW.

Is it possible that we are finally going to see him become the player we thought we were getting when we drafted him #5 overall in 2006?

I don't mean to suggest that he was a bust, just rather pedestrian for a high DP.

Today he looked like Ray Lewis. Perhaps the scheme, and his new found speed finally favors him. Maybe this is the new Hawk.

Maybe he becomes a new difference-maker for us.

Thoughts?

Thanks packerbacker87 for the sig!
I Am Rodgers wrote:
We traded MD Jennings for Julius Peppers. TT DA WHITE WIZARD
blueswedeshoes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same old Hawk.

He just had his number called in the game plan. Usually the poor sap is filling gaps or eating blocks and doesn't get to be a fancy blitz boy. He is playing a little lighter and faster this year, though, isn't he?

I think in the past he has been injured at different times and never took himself out of the lineup, explaining some of his less than stellar stretches.

I think his coaches would think we're crazy for not knowing that he is an above average player who has been consistently on the field for eight years.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, even Walden had a week like this. As long as Hawk stays middle of the road and up I'm happy. Weight loss has meant the world to his play
CentralFC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: AJ Hawk Reply with quote

daintrain28 wrote:
8 Tackles.

3 sacks.

Looked darn impressive in pass coverage.

A lock for NFC DPOW.

Is it possible that we are finally going to see him become the player we thought we were getting when we drafted him #5 overall in 2006?

I don't mean to suggest that he was a bust, just rather pedestrian for a high DP.

Today he looked like Ray Lewis. Perhaps the scheme, and his new found speed finally favors him. Maybe this is the new Hawk.

Maybe he becomes a new difference-maker for us.

Thoughts?

You're smarter than this, Dain.
jfinley88

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's been playing at a really high level all year imo. Career year for him so far, no doubt.
UpTheSeam85

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he is playing average like some of you are suggesting, over the past 2 years I feel he has played a lot better and is more above average and just a dude you can depend on, he looks a lot faster this year too having dropped some weight.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He had a great game and is having a great year. I think a few things are playing into this.

1. DL is keeping him clean. All LB benefit from this. Jolly, Raji and Pickett are doing real work keeping Hawk and other ILB's clean.
2. He is playing more "reckless" vs the steady assignment sure. Shooting gaps and making the play. The improved speed (less weight) is paying off.
3. In years past, he was playing next to other players who were more in the reckless role (Barnett, Bishop). Now maybe he is in that role more than his running mate.

Just my thoughts.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawk has been impressive all year. Jumped out more this year during games than he has in probably the previous 3 seasons.

This doesn't mean he's playing way, way, way better ball necessarily (but he might be) - he's just making the plays now that show up on TV in the live game.

Very happy with him.
palmy50

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope todays game turned on the light with Capers a bit in terms of what Hawk is and could be.

LIS, good chance Hawk is down 20lbs from his draft day weight. In many ways he is still the same Hawk and has the same flaws. You are never going to change the fact Hawk is a stiff, straight line athlete. That is what it is and we all could see it on draft day. What this staff has failed to do though is get the best from what Hawk does best. Hawk can get ya in the dirt and is REAL FAST in said straight line. Think the lost pounds just made this staff view him in a different way. Hard to view him as a thumper at todays scale. Lord knows the new look Hawk is probably at a weight that just plays better in todays NFL though also.

In many ways I feel Hawk gets the short end of the stick from fans for being a true team first guy in every way.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
I hope todays game turned on the light with Capers a bit in terms of what Hawk is and could be.

LIS, good chance Hawk is down 20lbs from his draft day weight. In many ways he is still the same Hawk and has the same flaws. You are never going to change the fact Hawk is a stiff, straight line athlete. That is what it is and we all could see it on draft day. What this staff has failed to do though is get the best from what Hawk does best. Hawk can get ya in the dirt and is REAL FAST in said straight line. Think the lost pounds just made this staff view him in a different way. Hard to view him as a thumper at todays scale. Lord knows the new look Hawk is probably at a weight that just plays better in todays NFL though also.

In many ways I feel Hawk gets the short end of the stick from fans for being a true team first guy in every way.

Mhmm, LOVE Hawk, he is just the perfect guy for us back there, dependable, knows the D, and playing really well the past few years. Didn't he also take a "hometown" discount a while back or am I just thinking of someone else?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this gets him a new contract that ultimately leaves us feeling we are overpaying I am going to be so sad. He's underrated for the entirety of his career on this board but he isn't an All-Pro like we thought he'd be.
palmy50

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UpTheSeam85 wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

Mhmm, LOVE Hawk, he is just the perfect guy for us back there, dependable, knows the D, and playing really well the past few years. Didn't he also take a "hometown" discount a while back or am I just thinking of someone else?

I'm a Hawk guy also but I'm not sure I could go there. He was on the line for crazy money then for a 30mike but is still paid VERY well in terms of NFL average at position.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
Hawk has been impressive all year. Jumped out more this year during games than he has in probably the previous 3 seasons.

This doesn't mean he's playing way, way, way better ball necessarily (but he might be) - he's just making the plays now that show up on TV in the live game.

Very happy with him.

Perhaps he's matured as well....Realizes Matthews will be out for a while and it's time for him to step up....
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

40Year Pack Fan wrote:
incognito_man wrote:

Very happy with him.

Perhaps he's matured as well....Realizes Matthews will be out for a while and it's time for him to step up....

AJ Hawk has been a man since he got here. Third sack he just walks back to huddle. He's busting tail every day. He is an emotional guy, but he's got a lot of responsibility and I prefer his leadership style for this young defense--he's a professional who lets his play talk and puts his teammates where they need to be. If he could get Jerron McMillian to learn how to play safety that'd be the one thing were missing right now.
palmy50

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaRisMa wrote:
If this gets him a new contract that ultimately leaves us feeling we are overpaying I am going to be so sad. He's underrated for the entirety of his career on this board but he isn't an All-Pro like we thought he'd be.

I do think he falls short of those All-Pro marks. That's not to say Hawk has in any way been a poor pick in my eyes. I mean, hard to say what Hawk would have turned into had he stayed at Will in the 40. LIS, I truly feel Hawk falls short in the eyes of some because he is a team first guy in every way. Many in his spot would have forced a few hands along the way to "look better". Could have done some things with that rare straight line speed as well(bet you can count on one hand those that can beat Hawk in a 40 on this team TODAY).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: