Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Countdown to 1,000 - Justin Blackmon Edition
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope all the success doesnt go to his head and he do something stupid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Blackmon is also much better downfield than I expected him to be. He and Shorts are both much better downfield targets than their speed should allow them to be. Great route running (thanks Jerry Sullivan) + elite body control for both of them kinda has that Anquan Boldin type game in that regard.

We discussed this last offseason (maybe FFMD or with the discussion around MoMass?), but Blackmon is good enough that in 2 WR sets, you can play him without any issue. What we need is a big bodied #3 option that can play outside. You kick Blackmon inside and throw the other guy outside. It doesn't have to be a bonafide starter level guy, but someone who can work outside and do well. You'd also prefer them to be a strong downfield threat, but getting all of that might be too much to ask. Someone like a Darrius Heyward-Bey would be perfect for that role. Stephen Burton has the side and speed, you hope Sullivan can work his magic there and mold him into that type of player, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I'm really hoping they figure out a way that Cecil, Blackmon and Ace can be 1-2-3 in whatever order. The only concern for those 3 being the answer is the lack of a size guy. Maybe Cecil puts on some more muscle and grows into that and Blackmon grow into an outside role?

Really hoping Stephen Williams can turn into that for us. Sounds like Shorts injury could keep him out at the very least this week against SD. It's funny, because honestly I'm not that worried, at least not nearly as much when it was Shorts with Blackmon out. Blackmon showed he doesn't need another big weapon around him to still do work. I hope Brown and Williams can step in and play well. Brown did alright yesterday.

Blackmon has such great hands, was pretty surprised at that catch near the sideline on one of our last 2 drives.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In his last 9 games, Blackmon is averaging 6.3 catches/104.5 yards per game.

Beast.

TEDDY TEDDY TEDDY

Props to JMG on the sig
Tugboat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Blackmon is also much better downfield than I expected him to be. He and Shorts are both much better downfield targets than their speed should allow them to be. Great route running (thanks Jerry Sullivan) + elite body control for both of them kinda has that Anquan Boldin type game in that regard.

We discussed this last offseason (maybe FFMD or with the discussion around MoMass?), but Blackmon is good enough that in 2 WR sets, you can play him without any issue. What we need is a big bodied #3 option that can play outside. You kick Blackmon inside and throw the other guy outside. It doesn't have to be a bonafide starter level guy, but someone who can work outside and do well. You'd also prefer them to be a strong downfield threat, but getting all of that might be too much to ask. Someone like a Darrius Heyward-Bey would be perfect for that role. Stephen Burton has the side and speed, you hope Sullivan can work his magic there and mold him into that type of player, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I'm really hoping they figure out a way that Cecil, Blackmon and Ace can be 1-2-3 in whatever order. The only concern for those 3 being the answer is the lack of a size guy. Maybe Cecil puts on some more muscle and grows into that and Blackmon grow into an outside role?

Yeah, i think that's really the way to go.

If we could find even a fringe #2ish calibre WR with some real height to them and that jump ball ability to play on the outside (and in the red zone), i think we have the makings of a potential monster receiving corps.

If we're running a 2 wides or some heavy set or what have you, bump Blackmon outside opposite Shorts III and you've still got a real good pair. And while it'd be outstanding to add a #3WR with size AND speed to stretch the field...i think what you said is pretty bang on, in that Shorts III and Blackmon both have better downfield ability than their speed would suggest, due to their body positioning and route running ability. Add another guy with the height that we lack a little bit who can also catch the odd ball down field and i think we can largely scheme our way out of the need for a 1-dimensional 'designated deep threat' to a large extent. Basically, i'd put the premium on the size over speed...if both isn't feasible (as those guys tend to be really premium picks).

I think Ace still fits in nicely as a niche guy. He has a very defined skillset and will clearly be a staple returning punts moving forward, which gets him into the action. And as much as his skillset as a receiver is great (and surprisingly versatile), it's hard to see him as the sort of target you have on the field a large percentage of the offensive snaps in a game. More what i'd call an 'Offensive Weapon'. Whereas Denard to date mostly looks like what i'd call 'Some Guy who used to be a QB and can't catch balls'. Laughing
.Buzz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhanYouDigIt wrote:

Beast.

With Henne/Gabbert at QB...

Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Buzz wrote:
KhanYouDigIt wrote:

Beast.

With Henne/Gabbert at QB...

Shocked

thats the scariest thing of all

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackmon and Teddy both thrive in the intermediate passing game!

Thank you daboyle250 for the sig.
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/390508800194908160
Quote:
Justin Blackmon currently leads the league in yards per route run (by over a yard!) at 4.13.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
corry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
https://twitter.com/PFF/status/390508800194908160
Quote:
Justin Blackmon currently leads the league in yards per route run (by over a yard!) at 4.13.

iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Through 8 games, 4 games played
29 catches 415 yards 1 TD

On track for
58 catches, 830 yards, 2 TDs
or (if he doesn't miss a game)
87 catches, 1,106 yards, 3 TDs

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: