Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

#1 ranked D
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smitty89

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: #1 ranked D Reply with quote

We will be ranked as the #1 defense in football after this week. Statistically. I wish we could just demote Rivera to DC and bring in a stud offensive minded coach.

I love love love this DEFENSE!
Carolina_Champ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had us at #2 with Houston having good defensive games. I'm going off yards/game though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carolina_Champ wrote:
I had us at #2 with Houston having good defensive games. I'm going off yards/game though.

I think its scoring D that we're first in.
HighPointNCKid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
Carolina_Champ wrote:

I think its scoring D that we're first in.

I think its sweet that we are even in the discussion as a highly ranked defense! Its awesome! Our boys are playing their butts off! IF the offense can catch up, we are a problem in the NFC!
Moody

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why you build your defense starting with the positions closest to the LOS. Injuries/inexperience in the secondary will be costly but the future is looking great. They only need a few more pieces to be sensational. Imagine having a defense that is the aggressor when they're on the field.

McDermmot deserves a lot of praise. He got screwed in Philly but he's steadily worked this defense up to being a strong point. He dealt with a lot of mediocre talent hindering his playcalling to this point.
3428fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all the negatives about rivera he has made a great defense here

carolina kitten on the crazy sig
catamount

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3428fanatic wrote:
For all the negatives about rivera he has made a great defense here

Not to take anything away from Rivera, but I credit Gettlemen--with empty pockets, he brings in:

Mitchell- starting to look like a starter at FS
Mikell--veteran SS, another starter
Blackburn--Starting OLB
Cole--NT who had been out of the game for 2 years--Gettlemen's first signing.
Edwards--he has been out, but a solid DT that he did not overpay for
Munnerlyn--Starting CB who Gettlemen allowed to shop around before returning to sign a reasonable deal. Hurney would have overpaid.

Without one big contract, Gettlemen found or retrieved 6 players who play regularly for the defense.

3 defensive Undrafted free agents--our best crop in years:

Robert Lester--
pulled from PS to start.
Wes Horton--DE on the roster--could he make Hardy expendable?
Melvin White--has flashed at CB

Now look at the draft:

Star Lotulelei and Kawann Short--regular DTs in the rotation.

Throw in AJ Klein and that makes 12 new faces that Gettlemen added to the D--almost HALF of the defensive roster.
fretgod99

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not like Gettleman made those choices in a vacuum. Rivera has played his part. He's certainly helped getting the defense where it is right now, as has Gettleman, as has McDermott.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
rjkilla

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm just pleasantly surprised by the secondary. the guys out there today are all physical and i love it. if they can just stay consistent...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
It's not like Gettleman made those choices in a vacuum. Rivera has played his part. He's certainly helped getting the defense where it is right now, as has Gettleman, as has McDermott.

Actually, a GM does make them in a vacuum. He gets input from the coach, but the buck stops with him. But I see your point . When Hurney went rogue in the draft by taking Clausen and Edwards--going against Fox's wishes, the results were not good. I am sure that Rivera was in the discussion, but a new GM with no ties to a coach who goes 2-8 every year is probably going to do what he feels is best for the team.
catamount

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjkilla wrote:
i'm just pleasantly surprised by the secondary. the guys out there today are all physical and i love it. if they can just stay consistent...

TV is not good for watching the safeties, but from what I can see, Mitchell has been balling at FS--forget the interceptions--they were QB errors and not plays he made, but he helps over the top better than Godfrey and he seems to always be in the right spot.

If Lester learns to take better angles, we could be set at S--that is huge and one reason everyone thinks the CBs are so bad
Moody

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

catamount wrote:
rjkilla wrote:

TV is not good for watching the safeties, but from what I can see, Mitchell has been balling at FS--forget the interceptions--they were QB errors and not plays he made, but he helps over the top better than Godfrey and he seems to always be in the right spot.

If Lester learns to take better angles, we could be set at S--that is huge and one reason everyone thinks the CBs are so bad

Nah, I think I want Nakamura back. Laughing

We've found talented/smart enough players to make it behind our front seven, FINALLY.

A team making the transition to being a playoff team has to deliberately draft well but you also need some unknowns to emerge. It's kind of a numbers game and I like our chances with Norman, Lester, Mitchell, Thomas and White.
boondock

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moody wrote:
catamount wrote:
rjkilla wrote:

Nah, I think I want Nakamura back. Laughing

We've found talented/smart enough players to make it behind our front seven, FINALLY.

A team making the transition to being a playoff team has to deliberately draft well but you also need some unknowns to emerge. It's kind of a numbers game and I like our chances with Norman, Lester, Mitchell, Thomas and White.

You hit the nail on the head about finding good players to play behind our front 7. With our front 7, we don't need to have lock down corners or ball hawking safeties; we need to have players that can hold their own, not make mental mistakes, be in position when they need to be and let our front 7 do the work.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes Horton is not going to make Hardy expendable. Hardy NEEDS to be resigned.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericr0319 wrote:
Wes Horton is not going to make Hardy expendable. Hardy NEEDS to be resigned.

Agreed. The combination of Alexander, Addison, and Horton could make losing him hurt a little less, but none of them are going to com in and have even close to the impact of Hardy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: