Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 NFL Draft Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 84, 85, 86  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhunt2402

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're taking a flyer on a LB late, I think Howard Jones would be a decent bet. Athleticism is off the charts.

Deadpulse on the sig
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I am preparing for an underwhelming draft, and not necessarily because of a lack of talent they might bring in. Most it is by comparison. These last few drafts have spoiled me.

Last year - Jamie Collins one of my favorite prospects and Aaron Dobson, a WR that was almost guaranteed to play a role as a rookie.

2012 - A TRADE UP! To draft my favorite LB in Hightower and one of my favorite DE's in Chandler, both of whom you could pencil in as starters.

2011 - Back to back runningbacks! Finally a move to get talent at a position manned by journeymen and BJGE for years.

2010 - Gronk, Hernandez, two guys you knew were filling needs at TE as potential starters with Watson leaving and Chris Baker the only other TE on that 2009 squad by seasons end. Plus Spikes was a plus in a good value spot.

Thats four straight years of drafting guys that you knew would play big roles if not start that coming year. This year, any DT will be behind Fork and most likely Kelly (assuming health), any OL will be behind Conolly, Wendell, and Cannon, any DE will be behind Chandler and Nink, any TE will be behind Gronk, any LB will be behind Collins, Mayo, Hightower, any RB would be behind Vereen and most likely Ridley. This is very much a depth kind of year with the most important depth guy to develop into a starter soon is at DT

Sigs-Taking Requests
BigTimePatsFan9

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
Personally, I am preparing for an underwhelming draft, and not necessarily because of a lack of talent they might bring in. Most it is by comparison. These last few drafts have spoiled me.

Last year - Jamie Collins one of my favorite prospects and Aaron Dobson, a WR that was almost guaranteed to play a role as a rookie.

2012 - A TRADE UP! To draft my favorite LB in Hightower and one of my favorite DE's in Chandler, both of whom you could pencil in as starters.

2011 - Back to back runningbacks! Finally a move to get talent at a position manned by journeymen and BJGE for years.

2010 - Gronk, Hernandez, two guys you knew were filling needs at TE as potential starters with Watson leaving and Chris Baker the only other TE on that 2009 squad by seasons end. Plus Spikes was a plus in a good value spot.

Thats four straight years of drafting guys that you knew would play big roles if not start that coming year. This year, any DT will be behind Fork and most likely Kelly (assuming health), any OL will be behind Conolly, Wendell, and Cannon, any DE will be behind Chandler and Nink, any TE will be behind Gronk, any LB will be behind Collins, Mayo, Hightower, any RB would be behind Vereen and most likely Ridley. This is very much a depth kind of year with the most important depth guy to develop into a starter soon is at DT

I could see us drafting an interior lineman in the first round and grooming him to be the starter next year. But yeah, this year is definitely going to be more for depth, which isn't a bad thing at all. All that means is that we have quality starters pretty much across the board
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTimePatsFan9 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:

I could see us drafting an interior lineman in the first round and grooming him to be the starter next year. But yeah, this year is definitely going to be more for depth, which isn't a bad thing at all. All that means is that we have quality starters pretty much across the board

Sorry if it seemed like I was implying it was a bad thing for the team, it is just less exciting going into the draft knowing none of our picks SHOULD see a lot of PT this year.

Sigs-Taking Requests
BigTimePatsFan9

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
BigTimePatsFan9 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:

Sorry if it seemed like I was implying it was a bad thing for the team, it is just less exciting going into the draft knowing none of our picks SHOULD see a lot of PT this year.

No, I didn't mean that at all. I totally agree that it's more exciting when they draft guys that can be impact players and on the field all the time for sure.
Richter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhunt2402 wrote:
If we're taking a flyer on a LB late, I think Howard Jones would be a decent bet. Athleticism is off the charts.

I would suspect he doesn't last until late in the draft because of that athleticism. Could go in the 4th or 5th round when all is said and done.
dhunt2402

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
dhunt2402 wrote:

I would suspect he doesn't last until late in the draft because of that athleticism. Could go in the 4th or 5th round when all is said and done.

True, and I wouldn't mind him in that range to be honest. Though I think he's flying enough under the radar where he's more likely to go in the 5/6th round range.

Deadpulse on the sig
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Im combing through random mock drafts on the various sites and I see Sports Illustrated has us taking Dee Ford at 29 and my initial reaction was "ew" then I go to a another mock on a different site and see Ford go to the Seahawks at 32 and think "good pick for them". Idk what Im thinking lol

Sigs-Taking Requests
m haynes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
So Im combing through random mock drafts on the various sites and I see Sports Illustrated has us taking Dee Ford at 29 and my initial reaction was "ew" then I go to a another mock on a different site and see Ford go to the Seahawks at 32 and think "good pick for them". Idk what Im thinking lol
Thats pretty funny Laughing
ICB 45

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:

In my next mock, I will likely have us taking Ford in the first. Biggest need and really the only viable first round candidate who will be available at our pick. He is a great player, I don't really get the hate.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICB 45 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:

In my next mock, I will likely have us taking Ford in the first. Biggest need and really the only viable first round candidate who will be available at our pick. He is a great player, I don't really get the hate.

I really like Ford, but can you see really see a scenario where BB takes a 6'2 250 pound defensive end? Not sure I do.
BigTimePatsFan9

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICB 45 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:

I'm not sure if DE is a bigger need over interior OL. Wendell was one of the worst centers in the league this year and Mankins and Connolly were average at best. Ninkovich was at least solid
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTimePatsFan9 wrote:
ICB 45 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:

I'm not sure if DE is a bigger need over interior OL. Wendell was one of the worst centers in the league this year and Mankins and Connolly were average at best. Ninkovich was at least solid

The starting interior OL isn't as talented as the starting DE's but there is at least 1 backup (Cannon) on the interior OL who is competent. The backup DE's are useless and as a result the starters got worn down. They absolutely have to find a #3 DE to rotate in and provide depth.

DE and LB have absolutely no depth right now and I expect that they hit those areas in the draft, low-cost trades or bargain bin veterans.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:

Any early draft pick spent on a DL will have an impact, as will a LB most likely.

OL is less likely but a top 75 draft pick would certainly get opportunities to beat out Wendell and Connolly.

Given the role injuries inevitably play and the total lack of depth in some spots on the roster, I think this year - while a "depth draft" - is crucial to ensuring the 2014 team can compete in January and not just September. There are only a few spots that a starting player could improve the team (C, G, DT) but plenty of spots which figure to see a lot of snaps (DT, DE, LB, possibly S, RB and TE).

I agree it will be underwhelming but IMO that's more due to the lack of talent in the draft at the positions of need. I think it's likely that the positions I would like to see upgraded will be filled with in house options, fringe players and other teams' castoffs in camp.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
BigTimePatsFan9 wrote:
ICB 45 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:

The starting interior OL isn't as talented as the starting DE's but there is at least 1 backup (Cannon) on the interior OL who is competent. The backup DE's are useless and as a result the starters got worn down. They absolutely have to find a #3 DE to rotate in and provide depth.

DE and LB have absolutely no depth right now and I expect that they hit those areas in the draft, low-cost trades or bargain bin veterans.

I would say Buchanan is a competent backup. I'd rather address the DL and LB depth in the later rounds of the draft and get a stud interior lineman to keep our Hall of Fame QB on his feet

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Page 54 of 86

Jump to: