Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Addressing the Elephant in the room (Bridgewater vs. Eli)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Cast your ballot!
Option A (Bridgewater)
25%
 25%  [ 4 ]
Option B (Manning)
75%
 75%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 16

Gmen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Addressing the Elephant in the room (Bridgewater vs. Eli) Reply with quote

This may come as a shock to many since I am probably the biggest Eli fan on the board. But this is something that I think needs serious consideration. It's still early, but the Giants are looking at a top 5 draft pick. If they somehow manage to beat the Jaguars out for the first overall pick, we are going to be sitting there with potentially the next great QB in our lap. Teddy Bridgewater has a big arm, quick release, some mobility, and is a high character kid by all accounts. Eli is going to be 33 years old in January, and has a high cap number.

So there are two options :

Option A : Draft Bridgewater and trade Eli for multiple draft picks.
Pros : We potentially have a bright future and a QB that can potentially deliver multiple SBs much like Eli did.
Cons : We won't have Eli anymore Sad

Option B : Trade down a few spots and acquire as much talent as possible to rebuild around Eli
Pros : We still have Eli Smile
Cons : The window is shrinking. Eli is going to be 33. Not everyone can play until 38 like Peyton, Farve, etc. We'd have a 3-4 year window to make another SB run.

Even as an ardent Eli supporter, I think option A needs serious consideration.

So...

OR

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
ESKY008

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the frustrations of manning, I do and I love the idea of fresh exciting QB but I'm option 2. Get some oline men, TE, RB and some pass rushers and see if there's a big difference in his play.
Rase

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Option B... Draft Clowney, then play the next season with Eli, and if he regresses even more then you can take a look at someone like Kevin Hogan... Or you can get Stefon Diggs in 2015, and try Nassib

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ideal scenario is we're in a position to draft Bridgewater and trade the pick for an RGIII type package AND end up getting Clowney.

That's my ideal. Load up on high round picks in the coming years, get Clowney, keep Eli for 3-4 more years and lay the foundation for the future. This is likely only going to happen if we get the #1 pick though. So that's highly unlikely.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eli is and will be the Giants QB until he retires. With that said, if we can sucker some team into selling the farm to a acquire Bridgewater, I'm in.
Acgott

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we can trade Eli if we tried, his cap hit would be too high
reckless123

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eli isnt the problem. Youre going too far.

He will get out of this bubble or major slump. If we're in position to draft Teddy, we do what the Rams did.

"I'm not in the danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:

He will get out of this bubble or major slump. If we're in position to draft Teddy, we do what the Rams did.

I don't think Eli is in a slump. It's pretty much the same ol' Eli. The difference is that the Giants don't have the defense to bail him out like in year's past.

Anywho... I voted option B. Let's keep Eli around as long as Romo is with the Cowboys. 50% of the fun of this board is the back and forth between giants/cowboys fans and their QBs.
minutemancl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
reckless123 wrote:

I don't think Eli is in a slump. It's pretty much the same ol' Eli. The difference is that the Giants don't have the defense to bail him out like in year's past.

Anywho... I voted option B. Let's keep Eli around as long as Romo is with the Cowboys. 50% of the fun of this board is the back and forth between giants/cowboys fans and their QBs.

Yes, because Eli throws 15 interceptions in the first 6 games every year Rolling Eyes

Let me give you my personal opinion, on what I think has happened.
It all started with the release of the coke machine in Brandon Jacobs.
reckless123

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
reckless123 wrote:

Dont make me laugh. I never knew Eli through 15 interceptions in 6 games every year.

What defense to bail him out?

"I'm not in the danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
Gmen4ev

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of the two options I'm choosing B. I love Eli still and granted he's looked awful he's playing with the 2nd worst team in the NFL.

Our offensive line is down to our 4th stringers, we're on our 4th running back now. And Nicks and Cruz seem to have lost multiple steps... and their hands.

On the defensive side its the same thing, the whole line is banged up and declining. Dont get me started on what we call our linebackers. And our entire secondary is hurt.

Drafting Bridgewater would not help at all right now and I think sticking with Eli is the way to go.

Nooooooowwwwwww if we could draft Bridgewater and possibly have him sit on his hands for 3-4 more years learning everything he can like Aaron Rodgers did I may be fine with that. But I dont think we're working in that kind of league anymore and would much rather see us drafting and offensive linemen or a one Mr. Clowney.

Not a Knicks fan
Gmen1985

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IR0NM1KE wrote:
Eli is and will be the Giants QB until he retires. With that said, if we can sucker some team into selling the farm to a acquire Bridgewater, I'm in.

This. This is a strong draft and I think there is a legit possibility that 4 QB's can go in the top 10 (Bridgewater, Mariotta, Johny Football, Hundley and maybe Boyd). Assuming that we'd most likely be the only team in the top 3 or 5 that wouldn't need a QB, ,maybe the steelers, I think we could sell the farm just to move down a couple of spots. Our case for trading down is that the two teams with multiple first round picks this year, the rams and browns, will most likely need to move up to get the QB of their choice.

Thanks to Rase for the sig!
jacobsrules

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id say take Matthews . If were gonna draft a QB I like Hogan and Carr the best. Id sit Eli some and See what we have in Nassib. If we trade someone we should trade Nicks for a 2nd to someone who keeds.a reciever. We need depth. And to move on from aging players such as Snee Baas Tuck . If Rolle and Webster wanna stay then huge contract restructures. Diehl prolly retire. Id like Boothe back. Id dump Robinson and maybe Myers.

Coach wise id say Gruden. Im not a Cowher fan or go after Fox. College wise Shaw from Stanford. Just my two cents. And Beatty should be told restructire althougj last year he gave up zero sacks so im not givin up on him at all. If I had my say our line would be Matthews Pugh Boothe Mosley and Beatty. Maybe a lil diff if we get a lineman in FA like Veldheer

A real LB Giant Pride
Thanks Shockey 1979
Gmen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacobsrules wrote:
Id say take Matthews . If were gonna draft a QB I like Hogan and Carr the best. Id sit Eli some and See what we have in Nassib. If we trade someone we should trade Nicks for a 2nd to someone who keeds.a reciever. We need depth. And to move on from aging players such as Snee Baas Tuck . If Rolle and Webster wanna stay then huge contract restructures. Diehl prolly retire. Id like Boothe back. Id dump Robinson and maybe Myers.

Coach wise id say Gruden. Im not a Cowher fan or go after Fox. College wise Shaw from Stanford. Just my two cents. And Beatty should be told restructire althougj last year he gave up zero sacks so im not givin up on him at all. If I had my say our line would be Matthews Pugh Boothe Mosley and Beatty. Maybe a lil diff if we get a lineman in FA like Veldheer

Bench Eli for Nassib? Really? This is Nassib we are talking here, not Rhett Bomar.

I kid, but I think that's a bit extreme. The point isn't to bench or get rid of Eli. The question is if the next great Qb prospect is in our laps, do we move on from Eli. You seem to want to move on from Eli at any cost.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
Xfaxtor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
reckless123 wrote:

You mean like when he won the SB with a negative point differential on the season, that defense? Dont be [inappropriate/removed] dense

^Joe_is_the_best

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: