Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Apollo's First 2014 Mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apollo14000

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Apollo's First 2014 Mock Reply with quote

1. Cameron Erving/LT/Florida State*: A converted DT a year ago who is just scratching the surface. He's light on his feet but also maintains the strength and toughness of a DT. He is understandably a bit raw but he's picking up his new position really quickly. I think he has Ryan Clady-like potential.

2. Zach Mettenberger/QB/LSU: A don't buy the round 1 hype so I think this is a realistic spot for him. He has some character concerns and has had a pretty up and down (mostly down) career at LSU. However, he has really come into his own this season and is showing he can carry the offense and make every throw. He is a prototypical Arians' QB in terms of size and arm strength. I rate him higher than Mike Glennon last year with a lot more potential.

3. C.J. Fiedorowicz/TE/Iowa: This isn't a given-up-on-Housler pick. Arians loves the 2 TE set and with Andre Roberts possibly set to leave after this season, finding another weapon is important. Fiedorowicz is a big, strong, TE in the traditional mold. He is probably the best run blocking TE in this class but is no slouch as a receiver. He's a decent athlete and I think he complements Housler's game well. Housler would be free to split out as the 3rd WR with Fiedorowicz as the in-line TE.

4. Will Sutton/DE/Arizona State: This is a high risk, high reward pick. With Dockett nearing the end of his career, it's important to find his replacement. Sutton has a similar, penetrating game. If he can maintain his 2012 level of play and not his 2013 play around 290 lbs then I think he'll fit this scheme well.

5. James Gayle/OLB/Virginia Tech: I think he'll actually be closer to a 4th round pick but I haven't done my homework on many players yet so I'll just go with someone I've watch. Gayle is an athletic freak with a nonstop motor. He's got good size for a 3-4 OLB and has the speed all of our other OLB seem to lack. He doesn't have the production you'd expect and he needs to develop more moves and disengage from blocks better.

6. Antonio Andrews/RB/Western Kentucky: A highly productive do-it-all RB on a Western Kentucky team filled with a surprising amount of NFL talent. With Mendenhall on a 1 year deal, we could try and strike gold again in the 6th round.

7. Larry Webster/OLB/Bloomsburg: He converted from basketball player to DE last year and has been tearing it up ever since, albeit against very low competition. He's long and athletic and a good project.

Upside to this draft, it could get our offense back on track. Downside, I didn't address our lack of a true pass rushing OLB or the secondary. Let me know what you guys think.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad draft. Erving could be a beast, needs another year for me.

Have said my piece on Zach before, would like another pick here, not sure what though.

Like the 4th round pick, doubt he will go there, maybe have him in the third? and then swap him with the TE.

Gayle can play, he is a 4-3 though, not sure how he transititions, Tech have a good history with players, he is fast.

Never heard of 6th and 7th picks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ_Fka wrote:
Not a bad draft. Erving could be a beast, needs another year for me.

Have said my piece on Zach before, would like another pick here, not sure what though.

Like the 4th round pick, doubt he will go there, maybe have him in the third? and then swap him with the TE.

Gayle can play, he is a 4-3 though, not sure how he transititions, Tech have a good history with players, he is fast.

Never heard of 6th and 7th picks

I like the guy's skillset and attitude. He has the potential to develop a very well rounded game.

Really haven't done much scouting on QBs but I know we'll need one in the first 2 rounds if Palmer maintains his putrid level of play. Bridgewater is out of the question but if Hundley's available in the 1st I'd jump all over that. I still need to watch Derek Carr and Tajh Boyd some more.

I could see Fiedorowicz going in the 4th instead. Not the athletic type TE that gets all the hype and hasn't had a lot of production in terms of catches/yards.
mtdowner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Will Sutton though I think he'll be long gone by the 4th rd. He's a better fit as a 3 tech in a 4-3 but then again so is Dockett. With Bowles new D having less 2 gap responsibility he might be able to succeed in AZ.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtdowner wrote:
I really like Will Sutton though I think he'll be long gone by the 4th rd. He's a better fit as a 3 tech in a 4-3 but then again so is Dockett. With Bowles new D having less 2 gap responsibility he might be able to succeed in AZ.

He's one of those guys I'm predicting will fall quite a bit. 4th round is a stretch though but I could definitely see a fall to the 3rd round.
IAmPacman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand where exactly you have the Cardinals projected to be in the 1st round? Are we Top 10 or in the Top 20?

Anyways, don't know much about the LT from Florida State but if he's better than what we have that's fine lol.

And I don't like Mettenberger much. I really don't see what all of the hype is about. He throws flat-footed and is slower than Carson Palmer in the pocket. It's like once he gets his feet planted he won't move. Not an ideal fit behind the Cardinals O-line.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAmPacman wrote:
I don't understand where exactly you have the Cardinals projected to be in the 1st round? Are we Top 10 or in the Top 20

Good question. In the 15-20 range which is what our record indicates right now.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apollo14000 wrote:
IAmPacman wrote:
I don't understand where exactly you have the Cardinals projected to be in the 1st round? Are we Top 10 or in the Top 20

I hope we are top 10

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ_Fka wrote:
apollo14000 wrote:
IAmPacman wrote:

I hope we are top 10

You should hope we have the 32nd pick....
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAmPacman wrote:
DJ_Fka wrote:
apollo14000 wrote:
IAmPacman wrote:

I hope we are top 10

You should hope we have the 32nd pick....

Don't drink like I used too, so that dream is dead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd be happy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will have to see how Sowell holds up the rest of the season but my expectations arent that high. That makes LT and OLB the two biggest needs:

1st Round LT's: Jake Matthews, Taylor Lewan, Antonio Richardson, Cyrus Kouandijio, and Cameron Erving

1st Round OLB's (3-4): Anthony Barr, Khalil Mack, Kyle Van Noy, Vic Beasley

Its such a deep class in these two positions that you almost cant pass them one of them up for another position. As of right now, I'm leaning more towards a LT in the 1st but I would love ASJ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZPSquared wrote:
We will have to see how Sowell holds up the rest of the season but my expectations arent that high. That makes LT and OLB the two biggest needs:

1st Round LT's: Jake Matthews, Taylor Lewan, Antonio Richardson, Cyrus Kouandijio, and Cameron Erving

1st Round OLB's (3-4): Anthony Barr, Khalil Mack, Kyle Van Noy, Vic Beasley

Its such a deep class in these two positions that you almost cant pass them one of them up for another position. As of right now, I'm leaning more towards a LT in the 1st but I would love ASJ

If Sowell plays like he did today, LT is massive need. Interesting to see how Richardson tests at combine, he could be there late 1st/early 2nd.

ASJ is a nice dream, one I share very much a part of.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: