Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

College Football Talk Week 7 + Clowney Saga
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: College Football Talk Week 7 + Clowney Saga Reply with quote

Clowney vs Arkansas
VS
USC (4-1) @ Arkansas (3-3)
Time: Saturday, October 12, 2013 – 9:21am PST
Weather: N/A
TV: ESPN
Preview:
Quote:
Winners of three straight, the Gamecocks (4-1, 2-1) could surely use Clowney as they try to end their recent struggles in Fayetteville. The Razorbacks (3-3, 0-2) have taken six of seven from South Carolina at home, including the last three matchups by an average of 15.0 points.
The Gamecocks most recently fell 44-28 at then-No. 8 Arkansas on Nov. 5, 2011.
"It was pretty difficult playing there," said quarterback Connor Shaw, who threw for 128 yards and an interception in that game. "It's a great atmosphere, their fans will be ready, so it will be a fun game for us."
While his efforts were overshadowed by Clowney's absence, Shaw was nearly flawless last Saturday, completing 17 of 20 passes for 262 yards and a touchdown. Shaw, who added another 50 yards and a score rushing, is fourth in the SEC with a passer rating of 173.9.
He could be in for another big game against the Razorbacks, who have dropped three straight while allowing 34.4 points per contest. Arkansas is on the verge of opening 0-3 in conference play for the first time since 2007 after suffering a 30-10 loss at then-No. 18 Florida last Saturday.
"I'm going to say it a thousand times," coach Bret Bielema said. "Winning is a process, and the process needs to be learned. And they understand it. They're getting it a little bit more each and every day."
Brandon Allen completed just 17 of 41 passes for 164 yards and had an interception returned for a touchdown for the second straight week.
"There were a lot of things I could have done better," he said. "I didn't think I did what it took for us to win."
While things haven't gone their way of late, the Razorbacks know they have a chance to prove themselves Saturday.
"I think they'll bounce back well," Bielema said. "We turn the page on Sundays. ... I kind of brought them back in for a meeting and closed the book there and moved ourselves into South Carolina mode. We'll come back.
"It's homecoming week. That's something I really preach to our kids that you're going to have a great crowd."
Arkansas has been outscored by an average of 21.8 points during a five-game losing streak to Top 25 opponents, with three of those defeats coming at home.
South Carolina has won six straight SEC road games against unranked foes.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/preview?gameId=332850008
Last Week :
Last week Clowney sat out the Kentucky Game with a rib injury sparking a huge controversy.
Spurrier on Clowney’s injury wrote:
"(If Clowney) wants to play, we will welcome him to come play for the team," Spurrier said afterward. "But he if doesn't want to play, he doesn't have to play. Simple as that."

The word “want” was the catalyst of much debate about the severity of Clowney’s injury and his desire to continue to play college football. Spurrier later admitted that he didn’t handle the situation well (debacle would be a better word) and had to back off his statement.
Quote:
Spurrier backed off a bit Tuesday, saying he was frustrated that proper injury protocol was not followed.
"Let me say this about Jadeveon, if he never plays another snap, we all should be thankful and appreciative that he came to South Carolina," Spurrier said. "We've won 26 games, two 11-2 years, the greatest seasons we've had in 120 years.
"So none of us need to be upset at Jadeveon. None of us."

These were the type of articles this led to last week:
Does JD Have Any Reason to Keep Playing College Football
Are Clowney’s Injuries Hurting His Draft Stock
Finebaum Calls JD the biggest joke in College Football
He also admittedly that he didn’t think all of this hyperbole would affect Clowney’s draft status ultimately.

Summary: Spurrier’s handling of JD has come under fire. Spurrier had to back off his comments or risk turning off the few 5-star recruits he gets. Apparently, there is some substance to his injury but the proper protocols were not followed leading to the confusion. Obviously, some will continue to question the injury(s). The consensus among the media is that all the expectations put on this young man have been very unfair and totally unobtainable. As long as Clowney’s performs well at the NFL Combine none of this will matter.

Last edited by Baggabonez on Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured some may want to talk about Bridgewater vs. Rutgers. TB is not having the best game. A couple of errand throws and an INT. Rutgers is gaining confidence.

Also WR Brandon Coleman should be playing in this game but he has been quiet.
Darbsk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: College Football Talk Week 7 + Clowney Saga Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
Clowney vs Arkansas
VS
USC (4-1) @ Arkansas (3-3)
Time: Saturday, October 12, 2013 – 9:21am PST
Weather: N/A
TV: ESPN
Preview:
Quote:
Winners of three straight, the Gamecocks (4-1, 2-1) could surely use Clowney as they try to end their recent struggles in Fayetteville. The Razorbacks (3-3, 0-2) have taken six of seven from South Carolina at home, including the last three matchups by an average of 15.0 points.
The Gamecocks most recently fell 44-28 at then-No. 8 Arkansas on Nov. 5, 2011.
"It was pretty difficult playing there," said quarterback Connor Shaw, who threw for 128 yards and an interception in that game. "It's a great atmosphere, their fans will be ready, so it will be a fun game for us."
While his efforts were overshadowed by Clowney's absence, Shaw was nearly flawless last Saturday, completing 17 of 20 passes for 262 yards and a touchdown. Shaw, who added another 50 yards and a score rushing, is fourth in the SEC with a passer rating of 173.9.
He could be in for another big game against the Razorbacks, who have dropped three straight while allowing 34.4 points per contest. Arkansas is on the verge of opening 0-3 in conference play for the first time since 2007 after suffering a 30-10 loss at then-No. 18 Florida last Saturday.
"I'm going to say it a thousand times," coach Bret Bielema said. "Winning is a process, and the process needs to be learned. And they understand it. They're getting it a little bit more each and every day."
Brandon Allen completed just 17 of 41 passes for 164 yards and had an interception returned for a touchdown for the second straight week.
"There were a lot of things I could have done better," he said. "I didn't think I did what it took for us to win."
While things haven't gone their way of late, the Razorbacks know they have a chance to prove themselves Saturday.
"I think they'll bounce back well," Bielema said. "We turn the page on Sundays. ... I kind of brought them back in for a meeting and closed the book there and moved ourselves into South Carolina mode. We'll come back.
"It's homecoming week. That's something I really preach to our kids that you're going to have a great crowd."
Arkansas has been outscored by an average of 21.8 points during a five-game losing streak to Top 25 opponents, with three of those defeats coming at home.
South Carolina has won six straight SEC road games against unranked foes.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/preview?gameId=332850008
Last Week :
Last week Clowney sat out the Kentucky Game with a rib injury sparking a huge controversy.
Spurrier on Clowney’s injury wrote:
"(If Clowney) wants to play, we will welcome him to come play for the team," Spurrier said afterward. "But he if doesn't want to play, he doesn't have to play. Simple as that."

The word “want” was the catalyst of much debate about the severity of Clowney’s injury and his desire to continue to play college football. Spurrier later admitted that he didn’t handle the situation well (debacle would be a better word) and had to back off his statement.
Quote:
Spurrier backed off a bit Tuesday, saying he was frustrated that proper injury protocol was not followed.
"Let me say this about Jadeveon, if he never plays another snap, we all should be thankful and appreciative that he came to South Carolina," Spurrier said. "We've won 26 games, two 11-2 years, the greatest seasons we've had in 120 years.
"So none of us need to be upset at Jadeveon. None of us."

These were the type of articles this led to last week:
Does JD Have Any Reason to Keep Playing College Football
Are Clowney’s Injuries Hurting His Draft Stock
Finebaum Calls JD the biggest joke in College Football
He also admittedly that he didn’t think all of this hyperbole would affect Clowney’s draft status ultimately.

Summary: Spurrier’s handling of JD has come under fire. Spurrier had to back off his comments or risk turning off the few 5-star recruits he gets. Apparently, there is some substance to his injury but the proper protocols were not followed leading to the confusion. Obviously, some will continue to question the injury(s). The consensus among the media is that all the expectations put on this young man have been very unfair and totally unobtainable. As long as Clowney’s performs well at the NFL Combine none of this will matter.

Thanks Bagga, nice write up. Really useful to those of us who can only catch random college games and can't follow these teams and players through the season.

He really is in a no win situation (reputation wise, he'll still go very high in the draft), if he plays hurt and performs under expectations the doubters will surface, if he does perform well it is to be expected but the expectations are so high he can't possibly exceed them.

Even if Clowney slips a little with the injuries and other theorized 'issues' as soon as he blows away the combine he'll be back near the pinnacle of the draft.
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
I figured some may want to talk about Bridgewater vs. Rutgers. TB is not having the best game. A couple of errand throws and an INT. Rutgers is gaining confidence.

Bridgewater looked awful last night at home against an average team. I know not everyone will be on their best but these are the games you want to really solidify yourself as a top QB. He failed to do that miserably. He's had a above average year.

EDIT: Oh yeah and

Nb4someonepostshisstatsliketheymeansomething

Fact is, he should be posting those stats b/c they're not playing anyone. He should be much better in those stats actually. If you've watched him, you'd see it.

PM sig requests.
Dreadymatt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't theink we're drafting top-5
Bo_Spice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTagg7754 wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:

Bridgewater looked awful last night at home against an average team. I know not everyone will be on their best but these are the games you want to really solidify yourself as a top QB. He failed to do that miserably. He's had a above average year.

Fact is, he should be posting those stats b/c they're not playing anyone. He should be much better in those stats actually. If you've watched him, you'd see it.

Yesterday was the first time Teddy went up against a solid team all season and he looked average. I don't understand the hype around a guy that literally doesn't have to play against anyone.

#InB4FloridaLastSeason

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo_Spice wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:

Yesterday was the first time Teddy went up against a solid team all season and he looked average. I don't understand the hype around a guy that literally doesn't have to play against anyone.

#InB4FloridaLastSeason

Been saying it all year. Teddy is just another guy. Undersized at that. He does nothing that says 'can't miss' prospect for me. In fact, he doesn't look any better than Murray, Carr and others who are not getting the same hype.

I doubt he declares, but I love watching Kevin Hogan play for the Cardinals. He makes some big boy throws that QBs playing on Sunday's right now can't make.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Where are all the "you must take this guy" crowd?
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo_Spice wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:

#InB4FloridaLastSeason

Kentucky doesn't have an awful defense and he was very meh against them. It's not like he didn't have opportunities though. He just missed a lot of his targets. Louisville was on a lot of my parlays at the beginning of the year. Since the Kentucky game, no more. I just don't have faith in the guy like that.

He's a good prospect but he's nothing like Luck like some people were making him out to be. It's going to be a long time before we see another one of those. If Kevin Hogan can get his act together, he could be close. Ironically from the same school.

PM sig requests.
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
I love watching Kevin Hogan play for the Cardinals. He makes some big boy throws that QBs playing on Sunday's right now can't make.

Irony that I didn't even read your post first. I've liked this guy from the get go. I want him to take care of himself though and not take as many hits. If he stays in school for two more years, he'll be the top QB drafted. He's already got a ton of experience and I like that more than anything w/ top rated QBs.

PM sig requests.
houstonX

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Raiders aren't getting either player so why does it bother you guys so much?
Bo_Spice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTagg7754 wrote:
He's a good prospect but he's nothing like Luck like some people were making him out to be. It's going to be a long time before we see another one of those. If Kevin Hogan can get his act together, he could be close. Ironically from the same school.

There is already another guy like that playing in the college ranks and his name is Jameis Winston. I like Hogan as well but I don't think he'll ever be on the same level that Andrew Luck was coming into the draft. I think Winston will be the unanimous number one overall pick when his time comes, he's special.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

houstonX wrote:
The Raiders aren't getting either player so why does it bother you guys so much?

1) I don't think "bothers" anyone. This is fun filled banter amongst family members. We make evaluations and tease each other about our inability to scout. Obviously, some get teased more than others.

2) Make no mistakes. The Raiders are one injury away to ONE player in particular, who exposes himself to injury regularly, from being an expansion team. So this chatter is relevant.
bitty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For you guys talk down about Bridgewater, you have to remember that this is Louisville not a SEC team. Bridgewater is playing with no NFL talent whatsoever. You are talking about a 20 year old QB who started playing the position two years ago.
He's by far better then any other 20-year-old QB even Andrew Luck who came out at 22 years old.
Go and compare Bridgewaters skill set now with Andrew Lucks sophomore skill set at Stanford then talk.
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitty wrote:
For you guys talk down about Bridgewater, you have to remember that this is Louisville not a SEC team. Bridgewater is playing with no NFL talent whatsoever. You are talking about a 20 year old QB who started playing the position two years ago.
He's by far better then any other 20-year-old QB even Andrew Luck who came out at 22 years old.
Go and compare Bridgewaters skill set now with Andrew Lucks sophomore skill set at Stanford then talk.

LOL! Are you comparing Bridewater's skill set to Luck's at ANY level? In Highschool Luck was regarded as the 4th best pro-style QB and Bridgewater was the 6th ranked dual-threat QB. Their respective skill sets are nothing alike yet you suggesting TB is the better prospect at the same point.

So for the record:
43 DE Clowney should be an OLB
34 OLB Barr should be a 43 DE &
Bridgewater is the better QB as a sophomore than Luck despite not playing as well against far inferior competition. Some of TBs throws even ducktailed in the Rutgers game. I'm totally floored by the comparison. bad bitty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: