Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 6 GDT: BAL Ravens vs GB Packers...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will Joe Flacco get his Might Wings revenge?
Yup, we stomp the Packers at home!
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Yes, but barely.
27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
No, Aaron Rodgers is too good for us to handle.
55%
 55%  [ 10 ]
No... and I blame it on Rodger Goodell!
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 18

SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
M.10.E wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Lions fans trying to say that Flacco has better weapons that Matt Stafford right now in NFL Gen. One guy even said he'd take Dallas Clark over Brandon Pettigrew.

It just never ends!
Give us Fauria instead.

Or Calvin and Bush. Or their center.

Or Ryan Broyles, or Nate Burleson. I'd settle for almost any of their offensive talent over ours outside of Kris Durham. Brandon Pettigrew with Joe Flacco would be a pretty solid connection right there, and if we had Fauria it would be even better.

Pettigrew really isn't very good.

But a definite upgrade over Clark and Pitta, although I'd take Bajema any day of the week over all of them put together. The man is simply a God.

Pettigrew is absolutely, 100% not even close to an upgrade over Pitta.

I know Crying or Very sad I was typing too fast...

BlaqOptic wrote:
Salty about Dennis Pitta? Please... Dude is average as average goes...
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking tonight, and I realized something...

Our defense, for some unknown reason, does not create turnovers anymore. We don't strip the ball or have an emphasis on stripping the football, we don't try to hit where the football is, we can't catch the football (Daryl Smith, I'm looking at you), and just in general we don't create turnovers.

It's a very "Ravens" approach to things, and it bugs me because with how bad our offense is, if our defense could maybe get 2 turnovers or something like that, it would astromically help our offense out I think.

Now, I love sacks as much as the next guy, but ultimately sacks are just going leading to punts, which back our offense up and then they still have to go 70 yards, which seems impossible at this point.

In conclusion, I think it stems from Dean Peas's "soft" philosophy. Make the safe plays. Don't go for the strip, make the tackle even if you're the 2nd or 3rd guy. I think, for whatever reason, we HAVE to start creating turnovers on defense. Just getting sacks isn't going to cut it.

What do you guys think?

BlaqOptic wrote:
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Don't think it's that simple.

As you've said Smith dropped a potential INT, but he's also had 1or2 on the season, so he's capable.

Dumervil strip sacked Rodgers twice... One that would've give us redzone field position... But we couldn't recover either.

How about the Ihedigbo INT where he went out of bounds. The players have been in position to make plays... And they've been really close to making plays. But what it comes down to is that some of our guys aren't natural playmakers and some of it is that we haven't gotten the bounces to go our way.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a really hard time complaining about the defense. Outside of the Denver game, I've been pleased with the unit's progression. I think we are a rangy FS away from getting back to where we used to be.

I may or may not be irrational here, but I'm blaming most, if not all, of the blame on the offensive line. No run game, worse play from Joe, less TOP etc etc. I feel like that one problem has compounded from something worrisome preseason to something that truly handicaps the whole team.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really complaining about the defense, it's just something I've noticed. We are great at forcing punts or forcing FG's, but not taking the ball away and playing aggressive defense.

And while we are talking about rangy FS, what kind of player is Matt Elam going to be? So far he's shown he can't play in the box and cover TE's, but he can't be a FS either...

BlaqOptic wrote:
BareYourTeeth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
I'm not really complaining about the defense, it's just something I've noticed. We are great at forcing punts or forcing FG's, but not taking the ball away and playing aggressive defense.

And while we are talking about rangy FS, what kind of player is Matt Elam going to be? So far he's shown he can't play in the box and cover TE's, but he can't be a FS either...

I think you need to lower your expectations a little bit. It's clear the weakness on this defense is the safety positions, not a fan of Bynes but he is acceptable, Elam is still a rookie though, only started 5 games, and is playing out of position. The reason he's playing FS is because we don't have anyone else who can but he's doing his best and has been holding his own FTMP. Once we get a true FS and can move him to SS we'll see a big improvement.

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good article about Courtney Upshaw's role on the defense.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Courtney-Upshaw-Does-Ravens-Dirty-Work/52cf68db-1bb5-4e2a-8539-0f68e79d7940?mobile-id=771048&media-type=N

Although, they speak highly of him, but IIRC, his snap count has decreased almost every week as Dumervil's has gone up, even though they say they play him everywhere.

BlaqOptic wrote:
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

I definitely disagree. Elam definitely can play in the box. It was his bread and butter at the college level. It's why he had so many TFLs as a safety coming out.

In terms of covering TEs... Elam's coverage ability has been pretty darn good. Julius Thomas absolutely went off against us in Denver. Since then Elam has mostly worked on the TEs.

Jordan Cameron had a big game against Elam, but most of his damage came on that first pass of the game, which was Elam's first start at the NFL level. After that pass Elam settled down and was much better in coverage.

He then preceded to shut down Owen Daniels- 9 targets, 5 recs, 29 yds.

Forced Scott Chandler to his second lowest production of the season (28 yds vs mostly being 40+ in other games), behind only Carolina and there awesome cover LBers. Elam did give up a 14 yd completion in a key moment- which contributed to the perception that he actually had poor coverage throughout the game. And even on that completion he had good coverage... but simply couldn't defend the pass against the 6'7" 260 lbs Chandler.

Can't recall who he matched up against on the Dolphins as Jimmy Smith matched up on occasion with Charles Clay.

Elam saw the bulk of the coverage on Finley outside of the play where Suggs gave up a completion. Finley was targeted 7 times in the game and only had 3 receptions. One of those was against Suggs. Meaning Elam's coverage produced 2/6... but because one of those plays went for 52 yards, it makes it seem as though Elam was being exposed all night long... which most certainly wasn't the case.

Tbqh, I think Elam's coverage on TE's has been pretty darn good. He's been susceptible to giving up the big play here and there and he's outsized on some plays, but he's 5'10"... that was always going to be the case. I think his best matchup on TEs are covering the H-back types, like Daniels.

But really, I think his coverage struggles have been overblown. He hasn't been nearly as bad as some people have made him out to be.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
A good article about Courtney Upshaw's role on the defense.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Courtney-Upshaw-Does-Ravens-Dirty-Work/52cf68db-1bb5-4e2a-8539-0f68e79d7940?mobile-id=771048&media-type=N

Although, they speak highly of him, but IIRC, his snap count has decreased almost every week as Dumervil's has gone up, even though they say they play him everywhere.

I've definitely seen him at a few different spots. Wasn't he lined up inside on his sack last week?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That said, he HAS made coverage mistakes- specifically when we're in two deep safeties or zone or something like that.

He's so accustomed to using his instincts to sniff out the ball that him being forced to play deep fielder, is an unnatural fit for what his best role is. Elam is a roamer. He should operate in Bernard Pollard's role from last season... that's where he'd shine with TFLs, FFs, and INTs. But seeing so many zone looks and thus being forced to play so disciplined is tough for his mentality of play.

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed that Elam's coverage against TE's has been solid. He had a bad game jumping into chaos against Denver and then had a busted play against Cameron on the opening play of his first start against Cleveland, but since then he's done well. He hasn't been perfect but just because he gave up a big play against one of the biggest matchup nightmares in the NFL in Jermichael Finley doesn't mean that he can't cover TE's. We can't simply judge a player based on the handful of bad plays they might have along the way - otherwise these past two games would also be a pretty solid indication that Lardarius Webb can't cover deep, either. But we know that's not the case.

Elam hasn't exactly been spectacular out there but for a rookie stepping into an unfamiliar role he's doing alright. If Huff had panned out and we had the capacity to play Elam in a more familiar position he'd likely make more splash plays but as it I think he'll grow more as a player in the long term by being forced to play in a deeper zone this year, even if it does lead to some busted coverages like the Rodgers play-fake along the way.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39
Page 39 of 39

Jump to: