Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 6 GDT: BAL Ravens vs GB Packers...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 37, 38, 39  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will Joe Flacco get his Might Wings revenge?
Yup, we stomp the Packers at home!
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Yes, but barely.
27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
No, Aaron Rodgers is too good for us to handle.
55%
 55%  [ 10 ]
No... and I blame it on Rodger Goodell!
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 18

Author Message
driftwood


Joined: 20 Aug 2008
Posts: 6635
Location: Milwaukee
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
driftwood wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
"Flacco had all of his weapons"

I wasn't aware that Dennis Pitta came back from injury already! Damn, did he have any catches yesterday!? I never even saw him playing, why was Dallas Clark getting reps over him?!


forgive some of our fans... packers blinders tend to run deep when it comes to opposing rosters

pitta is a legit weapon for the ravens & not having him most definitely hurts that passing game... (i mentioned that earlier in the week prior to the game in our thread & nobody really said anything)

although you did get some huge catches out of Clark yesterday


That was definitely Clark's best game for the Ravens. So far, he's been wavering between mediocre and crap, but he actually looked more like the old Dallas Clark yesterday.

He's no Dennis Pitta though, in terms of ability and in terms of the trust that Joe has in him. We saw last season that Joe trusted Pitta to go up and make catches in traffic and in tight windows. Without that, he's seemed much more tentative with his TEs. Obviously, the drop-athon against Denver didn't help build a rapport with any of them.

I don't think I recall seeing Dickson on the field yesterday. He definitely didn't catch a pass.

The problem for the Ravens is that, while they had all the WRs available yesterday, the lack of a run game means that secondaries can lock down on them a lot more, that they can keep two Safeties deep and go into Nickel formations without sacrificing that security blanket.

And I think Packers fans must be more familiar with that problem than any other franchise, given their struggles to put together their own run game over the last three or four years. Of course, it looks like they drafted the right guy to turn that around. Crazy to think that Lacy was the fourth RB to go in the draft. He gave the Ravens D more trouble than any other back they've faced this year, including Arian Foster.


honestly prior to the packers drafting Lacy... i looked at him as the just a guy that alabama plugged into that power house & wasnt 'super high' on him... but im starting to think he could easily be the better of both ingram & richardson

hes really decisive in picking the right holes & always falls forward... something we havnt had in nearly a decade
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12988
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

driftwood wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:

That was definitely Clark's best game for the Ravens. So far, he's been wavering between mediocre and crap, but he actually looked more like the old Dallas Clark yesterday.

He's no Dennis Pitta though, in terms of ability and in terms of the trust that Joe has in him. We saw last season that Joe trusted Pitta to go up and make catches in traffic and in tight windows. Without that, he's seemed much more tentative with his TEs. Obviously, the drop-athon against Denver didn't help build a rapport with any of them.

I don't think I recall seeing Dickson on the field yesterday. He definitely didn't catch a pass.

The problem for the Ravens is that, while they had all the WRs available yesterday, the lack of a run game means that secondaries can lock down on them a lot more, that they can keep two Safeties deep and go into Nickel formations without sacrificing that security blanket.

And I think Packers fans must be more familiar with that problem than any other franchise, given their struggles to put together their own run game over the last three or four years. Of course, it looks like they drafted the right guy to turn that around. Crazy to think that Lacy was the fourth RB to go in the draft. He gave the Ravens D more trouble than any other back they've faced this year, including Arian Foster.


honestly prior to the packers drafting Lacy... i looked at him as the just a guy that alabama plugged into that power house & wasnt 'super high' on him... but im starting to think he could easily be the better of both ingram & richardson

hes really decisive in picking the right holes & always falls forward... something we havnt had in nearly a decade

Not that Lacy isn't a good back, but I think it's also a lot to do with scheme changes more than simply the talent at HB.

I mean when your backs are topping 100 yards in 4 of 5 consecutive weeks (even though Franklin was a talented back as well) that shows it's not just the runner. I'm not sure if the Packers brought in another OL coach, if you added a center that could make the proper line calls, or if McCarthy simply figured out something scheme wise that he hadn't over the previous seasons... but the scheme is what is allowing for your running success... as much as the added RB talent.

I mean, there was a play... one of the first of the game, in fact... where your starting center blew Ngata off the ball and pushed him 4 yards or so in the opposite direction. I haven't been Ngata's biggest supporter this season, but he's still an elite run stuffer. That type of hole isn't created because of RB play. That's a center putting in work and that's scheme.

Add some talented backs running behind a much improved scheme and it's clear why your running game is booming the way it is.

My point? Lacy is indeed a talented back, but the holes he had at his selection and the size of some of the holes he had to run through were also as important as his ability to find the correct holes and fall forward upon contact. That's scheme.

... And that's the biggest weakness in this Baltimore rushing attack. Not the OL talent. We have enough of that to put forth a solid running game. We just have a terrible blocking scheme and until it's fixed, every defense we face will look like the 00' Ravens defense at stopping the run... and we'd be better off simply putting the game in Flacco's hands to at least give us a chance.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
incognito_man


Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 32335
Location: Madison
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Improved running game is due to a number of factors. First and foremost is immense talent infusion at RB. Starks has also been a very capable guy but can't stay healthy. Secondly, our oline has been able to maintain 5 consistent starters without shuffling for the longest stretch in a few years. No scheme changes have been implemented though. Just way better execution across the board.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SnA ExclusiVe


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 29968
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lions fans trying to say that Flacco has better weapons that Matt Stafford right now in NFL Gen. One guy even said he'd take Dallas Clark over Brandon Pettigrew.

It just never ends!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
M.10.E


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 1116
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Lions fans trying to say that Flacco has better weapons that Matt Stafford right now in NFL Gen. One guy even said he'd take Dallas Clark over Brandon Pettigrew.

It just never ends!
Give us Fauria instead.

Or Calvin and Bush. Or their center.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SnA ExclusiVe


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 29968
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.10.E wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Lions fans trying to say that Flacco has better weapons that Matt Stafford right now in NFL Gen. One guy even said he'd take Dallas Clark over Brandon Pettigrew.

It just never ends!
Give us Fauria instead.

Or Calvin and Bush. Or their center.


Or Ryan Broyles, or Nate Burleson. I'd settle for almost any of their offensive talent over ours outside of Kris Durham. Brandon Pettigrew with Joe Flacco would be a pretty solid connection right there, and if we had Fauria it would be even better.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flaccomania


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 23963
Location: Parkville, MD
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
M.10.E wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Lions fans trying to say that Flacco has better weapons that Matt Stafford right now in NFL Gen. One guy even said he'd take Dallas Clark over Brandon Pettigrew.

It just never ends!
Give us Fauria instead.

Or Calvin and Bush. Or their center.


Or Ryan Broyles, or Nate Burleson. I'd settle for almost any of their offensive talent over ours outside of Kris Durham. Brandon Pettigrew with Joe Flacco would be a pretty solid connection right there, and if we had Fauria it would be even better.


Pettigrew really isn't very good.
_________________


SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

If a police officer offered me a warning, no, I would not take it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SnA ExclusiVe


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 29968
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
M.10.E wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Lions fans trying to say that Flacco has better weapons that Matt Stafford right now in NFL Gen. One guy even said he'd take Dallas Clark over Brandon Pettigrew.

It just never ends!
Give us Fauria instead.

Or Calvin and Bush. Or their center.


Or Ryan Broyles, or Nate Burleson. I'd settle for almost any of their offensive talent over ours outside of Kris Durham. Brandon Pettigrew with Joe Flacco would be a pretty solid connection right there, and if we had Fauria it would be even better.


Pettigrew really isn't very good.


But a definite upgrade over Clark and Pitta, although I'd take Bajema any day of the week over all of them put together. The man is simply a God.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 9749
Location: MD
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
M.10.E wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Lions fans trying to say that Flacco has better weapons that Matt Stafford right now in NFL Gen. One guy even said he'd take Dallas Clark over Brandon Pettigrew.

It just never ends!
Give us Fauria instead.

Or Calvin and Bush. Or their center.


Or Ryan Broyles, or Nate Burleson. I'd settle for almost any of their offensive talent over ours outside of Kris Durham. Brandon Pettigrew with Joe Flacco would be a pretty solid connection right there, and if we had Fauria it would be even better.


Pettigrew really isn't very good.


But a definite upgrade over Clark and Pitta, although I'd take Bajema any day of the week over all of them put together. The man is simply a God.


Not sure if Pettigrew is better than Pitta at this point, Dickson perhaps? Re: Bajema, I'm like 80% sure him not being on the field lulled the defense to sleep, causing the TD pass to Clark.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000261437/Clark-makes-one-handed-TD-catch
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
BaltimoreTerp


Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Posts: 30218
Location: Washington, DC
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pettigrew an upgrade over Pitta? Only if you mean Pitta in his current, injured form.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12988
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Pettigrew an upgrade over Pitta? Only if you mean Pitta in his current, injured form.

I'm guessing he must've meant to say Dickson as opposed to Pitta... as he listed all the TEs starting for us this season minus Dickson.

.. but that's just my guess. In which case, I would agree.

Pettigrew has always been a nice blocking TE option... and I'm sure his separation skills couldn't be any worse than Clark's at this point.

So I could certainly see Pettigrew/Dickson OR Pettigrew/Clark definitely presenting us the more balanced and better option.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SnA ExclusiVe


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 29968
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, I DEFINITELY meant to say Dickson, not Pitta Embarassed

But yes, Pettigrew, although not the greatest WR option, also adds the blocking dimension which sets him apart from any of our current TE's.

Except Bajema. Duh.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mancunian Raven


Joined: 09 Oct 2012
Posts: 2309
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Oh man, I DEFINITELY meant to say Dickson, not Pitta Embarassed

But yes, Pettigrew, although not the greatest WR option, also adds the blocking dimension which sets him apart from any of our current TE's.

Except Bajema. Duh.


Until Pettigrew can wrong-foot an entire defense by going in motion, and create TDs in the process, then I don't want to know.

Seeing Fauria making an impact, along with all the other rookie TEs in the league, just makes me want to see Furstenburg get onto the Ravens' active roster. Or, failing that, seeing Juszczyk get onto the field for some offensive snaps.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SnA ExclusiVe


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 29968
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Oh man, I DEFINITELY meant to say Dickson, not Pitta Embarassed

But yes, Pettigrew, although not the greatest WR option, also adds the blocking dimension which sets him apart from any of our current TE's.

Except Bajema. Duh.


Until Pettigrew can wrong-foot an entire defense by going in motion, and create TDs in the process, then I don't want to know.

Seeing Fauria making an impact, along with all the other rookie TEs in the league, just makes me want to see Furstenburg get onto the Ravens' active roster. Or, failing that, seeing Juszczyk get onto the field for some offensive snaps.


I couldn't agree more with the last sentence. It seems like every team has a hidden gem, athletic TE...except us because we trap him on the practice squad Crying or Very sad
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flaccomania


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 23963
Location: Parkville, MD
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
M.10.E wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Lions fans trying to say that Flacco has better weapons that Matt Stafford right now in NFL Gen. One guy even said he'd take Dallas Clark over Brandon Pettigrew.

It just never ends!
Give us Fauria instead.

Or Calvin and Bush. Or their center.


Or Ryan Broyles, or Nate Burleson. I'd settle for almost any of their offensive talent over ours outside of Kris Durham. Brandon Pettigrew with Joe Flacco would be a pretty solid connection right there, and if we had Fauria it would be even better.


Pettigrew really isn't very good.


But a definite upgrade over Clark and Pitta, although I'd take Bajema any day of the week over all of them put together. The man is simply a God.


Pettigrew is absolutely, 100% not even close to an upgrade over Pitta.

Edit: I kept reading Very Happy Was going to say... Pitta is a top 10 TE.. Pettigrew is not really that close.
_________________


SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

If a police officer offered me a warning, no, I would not take it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 38 of 39

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group