Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Blake Bortles QB
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisororke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Blake Bortles QB Reply with quote

You want a new Big Ben, here you go. Encouraged by the sign they are scouting Teddy Bridge. Whether it is a smoke screen or not, that is a very strong play. However, I feel we can find gems later in the draft and here is a guy who reminds me of Big Ben. Bortles is on no one's radar. And hey he makes plays and actually gets rid of the ball in a reasonable time. Ben was raw when he came out (four lifetime years of QB) and is more schoolyard than anything. I love it, but as he gets older, he won't be able to get away with it, especially when he only has two seconds to elude the rush.

The fact they are even thinking about not giving Big Ben his next contract is encouraging. Pure speculation but whether they are posturing or really thinking about it is awesome. Re-signing Ben at the age of 33 will be the straw that broke the camel's back. I would never give him another 100M deal at his age when he would receive such a deal. Plus, we can't afford giving him that much with the current cap situation and moving him would allow a few FA signings. Jeff Hartings, Clark, and Farrior were all key FA signings that helped us get two rings. You can't solely build a team through the draft in the FA era, especially with our recent ineptitude (2008 class gone, 2009 class Ziggy Hood/DJ remain but will be gone after the year, 2012 class [18 months ago] only DD, Mike, Beachum look like players with talent that remain). Recent ineptitude is going against strengths of scouting, which is drafting PLAYMAKERS. Sign or trade for OL/DL bc we can't buy a bucket

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkyK4bLS_as

6'4" 235 mobile, elusive makes plays, tough, very similar to Ben but a little different delivery. A little busy so I'll be back to rebuttal this post, make a new post, and address any comments of old posts. Tear it up!
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...people so eager to get rid of a in his prime qb...

You extend him this offseason by basically ripping his old deal which they've done before.

There are other players worth scouting at the Louisville game...like I said in other thread...of you're going to be picking top 10, you should do due dilligence.

People waited 20 years for a great qb...how bout we actually get him some weapons and help and make another run?

They can sign FAs if they're smart and cut some dead weight.

Gunny Highway wrote:
Ed Reed coughs real hard and his other testicle descends and he admits Hines Ward has far more grit than he does
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan, I think you misinterpret this thread.. Bortles, imo, is not a first round pick, imo he isn't even a 2nd round pick.

He might fall anywhere between round 3 and 5. All I'm saying about a QB is that we need a legitimate future behind Ben and now isn't too early to start planning for one. If we can get a guy in the middle rounds like Bortles then I think its worth it.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Strive to be Leah Strong! May God continue to Bless you Leah Still!
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
Alan, I think you misinterpret this thread.. Bortles, imo, is not a first round pick, imo he isn't even a 2nd round pick.

He might fall anywhere between round 3 and 5. All I'm saying about a QB is that we need a legitimate future behind Ben and now isn't too early to start planning for one. If we can get a guy in the middle rounds like Bortles then I think its worth it.

They just used a 4th on Jones...people roasted them on that for the reasons you state above.

I at least saw the reasoning behind it and understood it.

Plus the OP stated that it was "awesome" they were thinking of not resigning Ben...hence what I said before.

Gunny Highway wrote:
Ed Reed coughs real hard and his other testicle descends and he admits Hines Ward has far more grit than he does
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we took Jones wasn't thrilled but I had a lot of optimism. I now think he will amount to nothing. Bortles IMO, could actually develop into a solid QB.

As far as I'm concerned Landry Jones was a failed pick by Colbert.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Strive to be Leah Strong! May God continue to Bless you Leah Still!
chrisororke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanFanecaFan wrote:

You extend him this offseason by basically ripping his old deal which they've done before.

There are other players worth scouting at the Louisville game...like I said in other thread...of you're going to be picking top 10, you should do due dilligence.

People waited 20 years for a great qb...how bout we actually get him some weapons and help and make another run?

1) Last year I thought he was in his prime but this was the quickest prime I've ever seen. In his defense, his team around him sucks, but in my defense there is no feasible way to stop the momentum. The cap is ugggg-leee and we have vets leaving after the year that aren't even in the ugly cap projection as they are UFA. But you will lose that talent for what it is worth. And the pipe dream of combining vets with young talent and meeting in one glorious run is not feasible as we have no (well, very few) young talented player and the vets are not only old, but well past quality of play.

Why are we in the same conversation with the Bucs and Jags and teams that don't have a franchise QB if Ben is truly "elite". Remember how the Colts went from 12-4 to 4-12 with the loss of Manning. We will have the same result with our franchise QB playing every game. How does that make any sense if he is good enough to win on his own and thus, truly elite. Ben is collateral damage of the failures of the whole organization. My opinion of course.

2) He has only restructured, which takes no money from his wallet, just screws us over in the future. Timmons, Woodley, AB, etc have done the same thing. They never have nor ever will rip up someone's contract and do it for less money, especially with Ben. Why? Because Ben is selfish IMO but who wouldn't be? Why are you taking money from me and I would accept. There are only hometown discounts when the team is good, not the other way around. Ben will get paid just like Matt Ryan 6yrs/113M. We can't pay that given his age. He will get that money, it just better not be from us. Letting him walk like Manning is simply bad business and I don't expect the Steelers to ever let that happen

3) There are absolutely no other players at the RU-L'Ville game worthy of a GENERAL MANAGER scouting, this early in the season I might add. A GM doesn't waste his time to see Devante Parker playing. Oh yeah, he's hurt and not even playing. They would know that before a trip would be made. What about senior Brandon Coleman WR. He's good but you send the old man WR coach to watch him, not your GM. What about Hakeen "the dream" Smith? He's like a 5th rd pick at safety and you don't travel on a Thursday to catch him. Maybe he likes some of these guys and kills a few birds with one stone but don't kid yourself in thinking Teddy Bridge isn't the focal point of the visit.

You can call it due diligence but you don't send the GM to watch the maybe #1 pick in the draft if you don't think you will be picking there. He's not going to suddenly have a Geno Smith drop. He is the real deal. You don't send the GM for this if they're not thinking about the future and the conundrum they will find themselves in concerning Big Ben.

This was absolutely watching Teddy Bridge and either reason to smoke screen or to watch him I LOVE the move. Teddy looks great btw. I hope it doubles as a message to the league that maybe Ben is available and I hope they start to realize that it isn't a good move to re-sign Ben after the year. Bc he has nothing and even if you're like let's get him weapons, then you still have no defense. Think about it after this year you will have lost the entire defense from 2010 (Hampton, Keisel, Harrison, Farrior, Clark, and maybe even Ike). No reason to cripple the franchise to have a franchise QB with no talent around him, especially when he isn't a guy that can carry the team on his back.

Teddy Bridge is good enough to start from day one, just like every other 1st rd QB of recent past so it wouldn't be a wait and play plan. It would be a start from day one and move on from Big Ben plan

That being said I like this guy Blake Bortles. He's not a 1st or 2nd rd guy and did you watch him? He is not a Landry Jones guy, a career backup. He is not an AJ McCarron, a Matt Moore type fringe guy for his career. He looks like Big Ben and if I can get two 1st's for Ben and get this guy in the middle rounds then I am absolutely going to do such a move as I believe the team will be better because of it
chrisororke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:

Yeah I looked him up on multiple sites and couldn't even find him anywhere. Like I like to check out walter football to just get a gauge of the names of the guys and do my own research and I was like derpp. I think he could work his way up to say like best case mid-2nd but I totally agree right now he is in the 3rd-5th range
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanFanecaFan wrote:

i agree

Looks like a mid to late round pick.

His Wrs made some amazing catches for him.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisororke wrote:
AlanFanecaFan wrote:

1) Last year I thought he was in his prime but this was the quickest prime I've ever seen. In his defense, his team around him sucks, but in my defense there is no feasible way to stop the momentum. The cap is ugggg-leee and we have vets leaving after the year that aren't even in the ugly cap projection as they are UFA. But you will lose that talent for what it is worth. And the pipe dream of combining vets with young talent and meeting in one glorious run is not feasible as we have no (well, very few) young talented player and the vets are not only old, but well past quality of play.

Why are we in the same conversation with the Bucs and Jags and teams that don't have a franchise QB if Ben is truly "elite". Remember how the Colts went from 12-4 to 4-12 with the loss of Manning. We will have the same result with our franchise QB playing every game. How does that make any sense if he is good enough to win on his own and thus, truly elite. Ben is collateral damage of the failures of the whole organization. My opinion of course.

2) He has only restructured, which takes no money from his wallet, just screws us over in the future. Timmons, Woodley, AB, etc have done the same thing. They never have nor ever will rip up someone's contract and do it for less money, especially with Ben. Why? Because Ben is selfish IMO but who wouldn't be? Why are you taking money from me and I would accept. There are only hometown discounts when the team is good, not the other way around. Ben will get paid just like Matt Ryan 6yrs/113M. We can't pay that given his age. He will get that money, it just better not be from us. Letting him walk like Manning is simply bad business and I don't expect the Steelers to ever let that happen

3) There are absolutely no other players at the RU-L'Ville game worthy of a GENERAL MANAGER scouting, this early in the season I might add. A GM doesn't waste his time to see Devante Parker playing. Oh yeah, he's hurt and not even playing. They would know that before a trip would be made. What about senior Brandon Coleman WR. He's good but you send the old man WR coach to watch him, not your GM. What about Hakeen "the dream" Smith? He's like a 5th rd pick at safety and you don't travel on a Thursday to catch him. Maybe he likes some of these guys and kills a few birds with one stone but don't kid yourself in thinking Teddy Bridge isn't the focal point of the visit.

You can call it due diligence but you don't send the GM to watch the maybe #1 pick in the draft if you don't think you will be picking there. He's not going to suddenly have a Geno Smith drop. He is the real deal. You don't send the GM for this if they're not thinking about the future and the conundrum they will find themselves in concerning Big Ben.

This was absolutely watching Teddy Bridge and either reason to smoke screen or to watch him I LOVE the move. Teddy looks great btw. I hope it doubles as a message to the league that maybe Ben is available and I hope they start to realize that it isn't a good move to re-sign Ben after the year. Bc he has nothing and even if you're like let's get him weapons, then you still have no defense. Think about it after this year you will have lost the entire defense from 2010 (Hampton, Keisel, Harrison, Farrior, Clark, and maybe even Ike). No reason to cripple the franchise to have a franchise QB with no talent around him, especially when he isn't a guy that can carry the team on his back.

Teddy Bridge is good enough to start from day one, just like every other 1st rd QB of recent past so it wouldn't be a wait and play plan. It would be a start from day one and move on from Big Ben plan

That being said I like this guy Blake Bortles. He's not a 1st or 2nd rd guy and did you watch him? He is not a Landry Jones guy, a career backup. He is not an AJ McCarron, a Matt Moore type fringe guy for his career. He looks like Big Ben and if I can get two 1st's for Ben and get this guy in the middle rounds then I am absolutely going to do such a move as I believe the team will be better because of it

-There have been no physical signs of decline...none whatsoever....shortest prone ever??? The team around him sucks right now...no OL, 1 above avg skill position weapon and little to no running game.

-Again, if youre going to pick that high, you scout everyone possible. If they scout Clowney, should Jones be worried(an example)

-Cap situation overblown...6 mill over with 4.5 of that due to Colon. Can save $16 mill of they cut Polamalu and Ike...Woodly cuttable after 14'. Ben extension also saves roughly $4-5 mill.

-Ben can't carry the team? All he's ever done is get the job done...people so quickly forget what he's done for this team...it's sad.

-Actually get him some weapons...actually get some coaches to coach up all the high draft picks on the OL...stop giving him smurfs for targets. Get rid of the POS OC who's trying to turn him into something he's not...

-Willing to get rid of the 1st great qb to come around since Bradshaw in a league when you need a Qb that is performing on an elite level to win the SB is borderline insanity.

-Instead of blaming that QB, and getting rid of him to pin the hopes and dreams of an organization on an unknown like Bridgewater...blame the GM who primarily responsible for the current state of the team.

Gunny Highway wrote:
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I at least saw the reasoning behind it and understood it.

I disagreed with Jones because I thought he sucked and he lived up to my expectations in the pre-season. I don't know what the team saw in him, but we'll see.

Mid-round QB's rarely pan out. That's a fact of life. Russell Wilson is an exception. Hell, Kirk Cousins is an exception (though Tomlin apparently liked him coming out). They've spent mid to late draft picks on QB's for a while now and none of them have amounted to anything. Dennis Dixon is the best QB the team drafted between Kordell Stewart and the present outside Roethlisberger.

I don't like half measures. If you are going to invest in the future at the QB position, just have the balls to go with a high draft pick.

Quote:
especially when he isn't a guy that can carry the team on his back.

The myth of the elite QB...he single handily does it all. Just like Drew Brees all those years the Saints missed the playoffs. There are two guys who have consistently made the post-season no matter what - Brady and Manning. Both had pretty ideal situations for some time.
"Roger Goodell, who’s a crook and a puppet, said I was the dirtiest player in the league. If that man was on fire and I had to [urinate on him] to put him out, I wouldn’t do it. I hate him and will never respect him.”~James Harrison
chrisororke

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon how bout my man? Great comeback win over L'ville. That's what winners do when the game is on the line.

Just say it a few times. Blake Bortles. Has a nice ring to it
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisororke wrote:
C'mon how bout my man? Great comeback win over L'ville. That's what winners do when the game is on the line.

Where were you last week when he looked like crap vs Memphis?

And no...it doesnt have a nice ring to it.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
chrisororke

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
chrisororke wrote:

Where were you last week when he looked like crap vs Memphis?

And no...it doesnt have a nice ring to it.

Touché. That was his worst and only bad game of the year. Look at guys in the 1st rd and they've had multiple bad games. Look at Tajh and Hundley today. Yuck.

I did miss the game. I must've been busy looking through the site to confirm your "the Steelers will have anywhere from 9 to 11 wins +/- 2 games". Which I hope you realize covers a six game spread when they only play 16. And then act like a child, as you requested where's the quote if you said it instead of manning up for your outrageous prediction.

You might be able to get the sheep to follow you on here and that's fine. But the way I see it, you are Professor Xavier and I guess I'm Magneto, so you can't get in my head. I will always be there, old friend
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My god...we all wish we were as awesome as you...only wish we could enjoy Kate Upton and Lacey Chabert like you did this week.

You're a guy posting on a football message board just like us...stop acting you are so much better than anybody else...

Maybe if you talked normally people wouldn't give you an attitude...just a thought.

Gunny Highway wrote:
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisororke wrote:
Touché. That was his worst and only bad game of the year. Look at guys in the 1st rd and they've had multiple bad games. Look at Tajh and Hundley today. Yuck.

The point is, you only show up when something you said doesnt look stupid. Every idiotic comment that youve made on here and been called out on, you disappeared.

Quote:
I did miss the game. I must've been busy looking through the site to confirm your "the Steelers will have anywhere from 9 to 11 wins +/- 2 games".

Yep...youre obsessed with me. This we know. I string you along with literally no effort.

And yes....god forbid I account for variables like injuries and whatnot with the "give or take 2" comment.

I already showed my official prediction was 9-7, tied for 2nd with the Bengals. It wasnt scribbled in crayon so I guess thats why you struggled to comprehend it

Quote:
Which I hope you realize covers a six game spread when they only play 16. And then act like a child, as you requested where's the quote if you said it instead of manning up for your outrageous prediction.

Manning up to my prediction?

First off...you run away everytime youre proven wrong. That, or you act like you werent actually wrong. So trying to call anyone out for supposedly not manning up is the perfect "pot meet kettle".

Secondly...I never claimed I didnt say that. I only said that my official prediction was 9-7.

THIRD....the season isnt over yet. I doubt we reach 9 wins, but there is still alot of season left, so acting like I was wildly wrong at this point just shows your desperation.

The vast majority of season predictions made before the season are wrong. Ive been wrong on them before and its looking like I am wrong this year. I have no problem with that.

Difference is, I admit that. And if we do reach 9 wins, I wont show up here going "I am so great....I told all of you because I am so much smarter than everyone" like you would.

Quote:
You might be able to get the sheep to follow you on here and that's fine.

Its not that the sheep follow me....its that they DONT follow the clueless, delusional wannabe (you) into the slaughterhouse.

Quote:
But the way I see it, you are Professor Xavier and I guess I'm Magneto, so you can't get in my head. I will always be there, old friend

Aww...how cute.

Back to the sandbox with you, young man.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: