Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Colin Kaepernick Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudyZ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine if Kap got a play off with, say, 8 seconds left on the playclock.

BOOM! Mind is blown.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
kidcymucks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't figured out why they don't get the play in early, allow Kaep to line up with say 15 seconds left, which would allow him to survey the D and then if he needs to audible, he would have plenty of time. Denver does it, NE does it, Philly does it, we don't. I wonder why. That's one area where it seems like insanity (doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result)
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
Imagine if Kap got a play off with, say, 8 seconds left on the playclock.

BOOM! Mind is blown.

love this gif ever since first glance Laughing

new sig... sorry alex
big9erfan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kidcymucks wrote:
I haven't figured out why they don't get the play in early, allow Kaep to line up with say 15 seconds left, which would allow him to survey the D and then if he needs to audible, he would have plenty of time. Denver does it, NE does it, Philly does it, we don't. I wonder why. That's one area where it seems like insanity (doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result)

Denver? Heck, Peyton tells the coaches there what plays they're going to run.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kidcymucks wrote:

I keep hearing comments here about a split of play calling responsibility with someone calling run plays and someone else calling pass plays, or someone calling mid-field plays and someone else calling redzone plays. That should stop. One play sets up another and you can't have the run-caller calling what he thinks is the best run play without thinking of how it would set up a particular pass play, which the other guy might not call. I've often said that it looks like our plays seem to be called with a random number generator. Maybe that's the result of the lack of a single "architect" of the game plan and the game calls. Maybe that's why it never looks like there's a plan as opposed to just random calls.

I also read Jim has final say. I think that's normal for all offensive minded HCs. But usually it just means a rare intervention at a particular moment in the game. If Jim is reviewing every play then that has to stop too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
kidcymucks wrote:

Denver? Heck, Peyton tells the coaches there what plays they're going to run.

All three of those teams run the no huddle often as well, so that gives them a lot of time to make any adjustments if they need to. Manning and Brady can both diagnose the defense quite well, which is why they're comfortable in the no huddle. As fun as the no huddle is to watch, it's not realistic for us to run.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of progression would everyone like to see from Kap for the remainder of the year to determine that's he's moving in the right direction?
NinerNation21

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9erNation2013 wrote:
What kind of progression would everyone like to see from Kap for the remainder of the year to determine that's he's moving in the right direction?

Consider the third passing option and learn to trust receivers and throw in tighter windows.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinerNation21 wrote:
9erNation2013 wrote:

Consider the third passing option and learn to trust receivers and throw in tighter windows.

Definitely this!
big9erfan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinerNation21 wrote:
9erNation2013 wrote:

I'd like to see more timing passes - ball thrown before receiver makes his move. I'd like to see Kap look to his primary receiver and if he's not open turn in another direction and find a guy open to throw to. By that I mean both move off of his primary receiver to someone else, but also begin to show that he understands defenses and knows as the play is progressing which secondary receiver is likely to be open. It's probably too much to ask because our staff hasn't shown they teach this or want their QB to do it, but would love to see more pump fakes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9erNation2013 wrote:

The read progression is probably the big one; he has to be able to see the entire field. If you have 4 receiving options on a given play, you have to go through all 4 of them. Secondary, and sort of tied into the first, is I'd like to see him throw to the backs and short receivers a little more. It's okay if your first two options are covered to take that little swing pass out of the backfield. He's like the exact opposite of Smith; he just wants to chuck that ball 15 yards down the field every throw. Sometimes, it's okay to take that little 5 yarder to the back if that is what the defense is giving you.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
NcFinest9erFan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
9erNation2013 wrote:

The read progression is probably the big one; he has to be able to see the entire field. If you have 4 receiving options on a given play, you have to go through all 4 of them. Secondary, and sort of tied into the first, is I'd like to see him throw to the backs and short receivers a little more. It's okay if your first two options are covered to take that little swing pass out of the backfield. He's like the exact opposite of Smith; he just wants to chuck that ball 15 yards down the field every throw. Sometimes, it's okay to take that little 5 yarder to the back if that is what the defense is giving you.

I know there are no excuses but I want to say that a healthy mario and crabs will help him go through his reads. Boldin and VD are the only two Kaep seems to trust add Bruce miller into his conversion too(Can't believe I just said this). So I hope that once he gets those two back, he can slow things down and go through each read because we've seen him do it before he just needs to to it more consistently.
big9erfan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
9erNation2013 wrote:

Agreed on this. What I was hoping for in the move from Smith to Kap was that we would add the long pass to a successful short passing game, not pretty much abandon the short passing game. I still want to see long, time-consuming drives. I just want us to be able have a chance of keeping a drive going if we have or second or third and more than 10 to go.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NcFinest9erFan wrote:
Forge wrote:
9erNation2013 wrote:

I know there are no excuses but I want to say that a healthy mario and crabs will help him go through his reads. Boldin and VD are the only two Kaep seems to trust add Bruce miller into his conversion too(Can't believe I just said this). So I hope that once he gets those two back, he can slow things down and go through each read because we've seen him do it before he just needs to to it more consistently.

Not so sure about this. Has he gone to a secondary receiver on occasion? Sure. But he's always tended to look for a guy in the mid or long range, and hold the ball till a guy comes open rather than take the simple check down. Not surprsing - he's barely played more games than a rookie. So I expect this part of his game to develop and get better in the next season or two or three. Steve Young always says it takes 3 or 4 years of playing for a QB to really develop that feel that let's him know almost automatically which receiver to go to, and who to look for if the first option is well covered.

Where I'd really like to see him improve is in his pre-snap reads so that he knows which receiver is likely to be open. For example if he sees an outside blitz coming and knows a short pass on that side will be wide open he needs to take that gimme rather than look for a guy deep and let that blitzer break up the play because he took so long to get rid of it. Manning and Brady are masters at that, but even younger QBs like Luck and Wilson take better advantage of the defense than we do - it seems yo me at least.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
NcFinest9erFan wrote:
Forge wrote:
9erNation2013 wrote:

Not so sure about this. Has he gone to a secondary receiver on occasion? Sure. But he's always tended to look for a guy in the mid or long range, and hold the ball till a guy comes open rather than take the simple check down. Not surprsing - he's barely played more games than a rookie. So I expect this part of his game to develop and get better in the next season or two or three. Steve Young always says it takes 3 or 4 years of playing for a QB to really develop that feel that let's him know almost automatically which receiver to go to, and who to look for if the first option is well covered.

Where I'd really like to see him improve is in his pre-snap reads so that he knows which receiver is likely to be open. For example if he sees an outside blitz coming and knows a short pass on that side will be wide open he needs to take that gimme rather than look for a guy deep and let that blitzer break up the play because he took so long to get rid of it. Manning and Brady are masters at that, but even younger QBs like Luck and Wilson take better advantage of the defense than we do - it seems yo me at least.

Yes, I would hope that going through his reads and pre snap will get better as he continues to plays. We have to remind ourselves that he recently just played his 16th regular season games.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 6 of 16

Jump to: