Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Colin Kaepernick Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Colin Kaepernick Thread Reply with quote

I thought it would be a good idea to discuss all things kap in one place.

He looked amazing last year. Besides making the calls at the line and clock management. I was hoping he would fix this two things.

He started off looking amazing against the pack. Then looked terrible terrible then okay.

What's everybody thinking.

This popped up when I read this

Quote:
The 49ers rank 31st in the NFL with 181.6 yards passing. Only the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have thrown for fewer yards per game. In his 10 ˝ games last season, including playoffs, Kaepernick averaged nearly 250 yards passing per game.

From @MaioccoCSN: Only Buccaneers have averages fewer passing yards per game than 49ers. What does Kaepernick have to say about that? http://t.co/qbgTjJf43z

People thought alex brought down the O and the playbook was dumbed down for him. After the pack game. Our offense has looked terrible.
Take away the vd catch and run (like 50+ yac, like 60) kap went 5/14 for 49 yards. That's unbelievably bad. And I know that not how it works, just saying so much of that was that one catch.

I'm confident kaep will improve. But what's up with him. I haven't been watching he games as close as I should. I know boldin is all he has out wide. But still...
I thought kdub was going to have a big season but nothing so far.

Discuss!

new sig... sorry alex

Last edited by 49ers Finest on Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Niner_Finer23

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really can't tell but it seems as if he has lost the fire he had last season. Not only that but the guy doesn't know how to go beyond the first read.He never checks down.And as of late his accuracy has been downright sad. Im hoping this is him in a slump and that hell do good once Manningham and Crabtree are back.I just hope we didn't make a mistake with him and last year was just a fluke.

RAY LEWIS 2.0
You dont Kung-Fu,Kung-Fu is a way of life-
Jackie Chan
RedWhiteNGold

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's trying too hard. He needs to loosen up, focus, and just start playing the game like he always has.

He should have shut-in this offseason instead of trying to be a rockstar. Now he's putting too much pressure on himself instead of using his instincts and playmaking ability.

He'll be better when he matures. Alex used to talk about the same problem in the beginning of his career. But he finally learned to let it go and just play.
Forge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are several things at play here, and in no particular order:

1. Injuries. They have an impact; he lost his security blanket in Crabtree, and people forget, but he targeted Manningham quite a bit his first few games before Rio got hurt. Both of them are far more talented than anything we have outside of Boldin, and while Boldin has fantastic hands and great physicality, creating separation is not his specialty. He has no trust in anybody.

2. He's lost in the athletic portion of his game. At this I mean his running. Whether it's by the coaching staff's orders or not, sometimes he looks like he just doesn't want to run, and others he's got happy feet and scrambling around but still not really taking off. Its weird. I don't know if he's putting so much pressure on himself to be a "pocket passer" or what. He just sometimes doesn't seem like he knows what he wants to do.

3. A lack of growth. It has to be acknowledged. He doesn't progress through more than one or two reads, and that's only if the two are in the same general vicinity. He also lacks field knowledge in progression and routes; when you roll to the right, your initial read should be that deep post and then you should come in. If you look in first, you've pretty much taken the guy running the deep post out of the play. He also seems to have a big time reluctance to go to the checkdown; I hardly ever see him come back down to his tight ends or running backs out of the backfield unless they are the primary target of the play.

There are others of course; I could talk about whether or not he invests himself enough in the "quarterbacking" aspects of his position (I have no idea, I just wonder if he focuses on the wrong sort of training sometimes, but I don't know that it's something that can either be confirmed or denied). We could talk about the sometimes overly questionable playcalling, or whether or not this is actually closer to what he was and he just rode a tidal wave of playing out of his mind last year; a sort of hot streak to end all hot streaks. Remember, prior to his start last year, I don't think anyone thought he looked particularly great in the preseason either his first or second year, and then while he was okay when he came in for Smith against the rams, he hardly set the world on fire. Then he had the game against Chicago and he was off to the races. It was a jump in regards to his skill/production that was kind of jarring compared to what we had seem from him previously. I expected regression this year (though admittedly not this much), and maybe what we are seeing is the flip side as he adjusts back toward the mean of his playing ability so to speak.

Bottom line is that there are a ton of potential reasons for his play, and we won't really start getting some sort of answers until we get everyone back and healthy.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
burlow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Losing his receivers has been big as mentioned, I will try to bring something up that may or not be relevant. I think that Alex helped him a lot last year, I am sure they studied together, but on top of that Alex was always with him on the sideline trying to help him out.

I know that we have coaches who do the same thing but Alex just came from the game, had worked with the line, receivers, backs. I am glad that Alex has his time to shine but I think it is very possible he was helping develop Keap on the field.

The good news is that we know that Keap can get there, or has a very good chance to do so.

The way I view the 9ers future is that I would rather not break the bank on a QB unless we are absolutely sure he is top 3. I would not want Flacco or Ryan or Romo for their contracts. That is the sad thing about football currently, QB is the glamorous position so if the team is having success it seems the QB is the first one to get paid even if that QB is having his success as a result of the team.

Keap has the legs and the arm to be the best QB lets just hope that he can get near where his potential is.

Thanks y2 for the sig - and it has nothing to do with the trash who wore number 32 (I had to look it up, he will stay unnamed).
bzane

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he got carried away reading his press clippings.

Looks like he got an awful lot of ink.
oldman9er

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedWhiteNGold wrote:
I think he's trying too hard. He needs to loosen up, focus, and just start playing the game like he always has.

He should have shut-in this offseason instead of trying to be a rockstar. Now he's putting too much pressure on himself instead of using his instincts and playmaking ability.

He'll be better when he matures. Alex used to talk about the same problem in the beginning of his career. But he finally learned to let it go and just play.

I think THIS has a lot to do with it. He looks so intense out on the field, and it's not a good intense. It's a high-stress pressure that he is battling. Media and fans do a disservice to players by hyping them up too far and too quickly.

I think defenses are learning how to take away some of the option successes, and learning to better take away the outside QB backyard-balling. There seem to be a lack of basic QB fundamentals from Kaep that frankly surprise me.. considering his HC was a pro QB and should be all over this. Maybe he is, and Kaep is just not responding well to it when the bullets are flying?

I am still not willing to go down the "injuries to WRs, no one's getting open!" avenue. There are plenty of weapons to throw to, and QBs have to give their guys a chance in 1 on 1 coverage... and somebody's going to be left 1 on 1.

I am happy to give Kaep time to get these issues sorted out... problem is.. this team was knocking at the SB door 2 years in a row. I want SF to win ring #6 now... and don't have much patience for QB growing pains.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of it is mental with Kaep, and I do think he's over thinking everything. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about him, but you have to remember that he was pretty raw coming in. You guys hear this a lot, but he's yet to play a full season, so it's obvious that the game hasn't slowed down for him a bit. He just needs to let loose, and he needs to RUN.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
A lot of it is mental with Kaep, and I do think he's over thinking everything. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about him, but you have to remember that he was pretty raw coming in. You guys hear this a lot, but he's yet to play a full season, so it's obvious that the game hasn't slowed down for him a bit. He just needs to let loose, and he needs to RUN.

Good reason to be worried. After that nice game at GB it's not that he hasn't been playing great, he's been playing about as badly as any QB in the league. Over the last four games he's connected on only 50% of his passes, his YPA is 5.9, and his QBR is 62. And those number include the 60+ yarder to VD in garbage time at the end of the last game. Without that one his YPA is barely over 5 and his QBR is down to 55. Either way, those number are truly awful.

Often times rookie QBs are rushed into a starting job before they're ready and have a series of games with those kinds of numbers, after which everyone readily agrees "he's not ready yet" and he either get benched till he gets more seasoning, or if a team is bad enough and trying to develop their QB for the future they leave him in to struggle. As many here often point out, the numbers don't always tell the whole story, there's always what they see with their eyes. And what I see with my eyes is as bad as the numbers indicate. What I'm seeing is a guy that looks over-matched mentally out there. He looks lost, makes bad judgments on who to throw to, has difficulty going through progressions,doesn't see open receivers, is having accuracy problems, and frankly just looks a bit like he's in over his head. We all have to remember that the most important attribute of a QB is not his arm, and certainly not his legs, its his head. And right now Kap's head is looking like a rookie QB, not like someone who has passed the "master class" as Steve Young like to describe it. Of course, for all intents and purposes, he is a rookie QB so patience is the order of the day.

Believe me folks, I was Kap's biggest fan around draft day, and amd still a big fan. I hoped and expected he would eventually be good enough to take over for Alex. I was a bit surprised when the coaches indicated that time was mid-way through last year. And I'm reserving judgement as to whether they were right about that, or whether they hurried him in there too quickly. Although I'm a bit less confident now, I still do expect him to be a great QB. But that appears a little further down the road than maybe we were all hoping for.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the main problem is the lack of designed runs. Kaep seems to get fired up after a good run. Then, settles in and begins hitting open receivers. Not only does Kaep loosen up after runs, but it forces defenses to place an extra defender in the box.

Problem number 2 is that he locks on to his primary receiver. He does not go through read progressions.
AZniner31

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingnothing wrote:
I think the main problem is the lack of designed runs. Kaep seems to get fired up after a good run. Then, settles in and begins hitting open receivers. Not only does Kaep loosen up after runs, but it forces defenses to place an extra defender in the box.

Problem number 2 is that he locks on to his primary receiver. He does not go through read progressions.

Definitely agree with this. Last year, like against the Rams, after a big run he just seems to play better and more relaxed in the pocket. There isn't a doubt in my mind the coaching staff has limited his running.

His ball placement just doesn't seem to be as accurate as last year either. There was some article on espn earlier in the year talking about how accurate he was 10-20 yards down the field. I just don't see that accuracy this year. Part of this might be the issues at WR but he also needs to give the options he has a chance. There were times last year were he would be throwing into some tight coverage and its not happening this year. Way too hesitant back there

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZniner31 wrote:
kingnothing wrote:

Definitely agree with this. Last year, like against the Rams, after a big run he just seems to play better and more relaxed in the pocket. There isn't a doubt in my mind the coaching staff has limited his running.

His ball placement just doesn't seem to be as accurate as last year either. There was some article on espn earlier in the year talking about how accurate he was 10-20 yards down the field. I just don't see that accuracy this year. Part of this might be the issues at WR but he also needs to give the options he has a chance. There were times last year were he would be throwing into some tight coverage and its not happening this year. Way too hesitant back there

I have to agree with all of this. The staff has to let him play to his strengths and that is moving around the pocket and scrambling however he can't be doing that on every play. I do think not having moss, walker, crabs, or mario is hurting Kaep. I am not too worried about him but if he continues to struggle once Mario and Crabs come back then there will be a problem.

I would like to see us use more stack or bunch formations to help out the WRs. That seemed to help a lot during week one.
FeralSoul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedWhiteNGold wrote:

I couldn't agree more, Kap needs to focus on his game rather than half naked photos in SI...Rockstar no doubt. He is young and hopefully will grow up and be great QB, one of or the single most mobile QB's I have ever seen.
AndyLeesAunt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does kaep's foot keep coming up on the injury report? It's on the report again this week..

Quote:
@MattMaiocco QB Colin Kaepernick (foot) is on the injury report, and the 49ers have nothing to say on the topic.

What are some possibilities?
Ataal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some interesting stats:

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/10/10/colin-kaepernick-other-wrs-27-2/

Quote:
Through five games, Colin Kaepernick has a 108.5 passer rating when targeting No. 1 wideout Anquan Boldin. When targeting another wide receiver – Kyle Williams, Marlon Moore, Quinton Patton or Jon Baldwin – his rating is 27.7.

Quote:
** Of Kaepernick’s 123 targeted passes, 54 percent (66) have been intended for Boldin or Davis, who missed one game with a hamstring injury. (I actually thought this figure would be even higher).

** Of Kaepernick’s 70 targeted passes to wide receivers, 60 percent (42) have been intended for Boldin.

** WR Kyle Williams has been targeted with one pass in the past two games, 18 fewer targets than he had in the first three games.

** Due, quite possibly, to a lack of appealing options, FB Bruce Miller has emerged as popular safety valve. Miller’s 12 targets rank fourth on the team.

Quote:
Kaepernick’s rating when targeting ….

WR ANQUAN BOLDIN: 108.5 rating
Stats: 26 of 42, 393 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT

TE VERNON DAVIS: 94.4 rating
Stats: 14 of 24, 224 yards, 4 TD, 2 INT

FB BRUCE MILLER: 93.1 rating
Stats: 9 of 12, 82 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT

TE VANCE McDONALD: 66.4 rating
Stats: 4 of 9, 59 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT

RB FRANK GORE: 61.2 rating
Stats: 5 of 11, 56 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT

WR KYLE WILLIAMS: 21.1 rating
Stats: 9 of 19, 87 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT

OTHERS: WR Jon Baldwin: (2 of 4, 19 yards); WR Marlon Moore (1 of 3, 6 yards); RB Kendall Hunter: (2 of 2, 13 yards); TE Garrett Celek (1 of 2, 30 yards); WR Quinton Patton (1 of 2, 0 yards).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: