Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

JaDeveon Clowney: Do we have a shot at him?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faccda01

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: JaDeveon Clowney: Do we have a shot at him? Reply with quote

With all the controversy currently surrounding Clowney, there have been NFL execs that have said they wouldn't take him in the top 10. We might very well have a top 10 pick.

If he were to fall to us, I think it is a no brainer we take him. This would be nixed, however if we resign Hardy. I personally would rather us let Hardy walk and go after Clowney, depending on how much his stock takes a hit after all of this media circus.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a need standpoint, he would be down our our list. From a pure talent standpoint he's at the top. I think the Panthers will make every effort to re-sign hardy, so this is a wait and see issue. If the Panthers want to make their team instantly better they need to draft the absolute best OT in the draft and in free agency they need to go after the very best OL available, kinda like what Tennessee did last off season by signing Levitre and drafting Porkchop Warmack. By drafting a LT, the Panther can move Gross back to RT and slide Bell to RG. Barring a late season winning streak, the Panthers should be in position to draft a top LT. Names I am hearing are Jake Matthews from Texas A&M, Cyrus Kouandjio from Alabama and Taylor Lewan from Michigan. I haven't done any homework on the draft yet, but these seem to be the top guys.
Impulser12000

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd vote oline or wr at this point. clowney would be a luxury for this time right now provided we resign hardy

CarolinaKitten on the sig
CAROLINA DID NOT DRAFT ARMANTI EDWARDS TO PLAY QB...or at all. Man he sucks
boondock

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being that we are not doing too well this year, we sure do have a chance at him at this point.

If Clowney is there, we'd be dumb to not draft him or trade for picks for someone else to draft him. It would also be used as leverage for Hardy to resign at a reasonable price.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't want

carolina kitten on the crazy sig
Grizzly224

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try and trade down if he is still on the board. The guy is an amazing talent but I think he will be a headache for the GM. I see him holding out and not playing to his full effort until a contract year.
iknowcool

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Clowney gets outside of the top 2, I'll be stunned.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
If Clowney gets outside of the top 2, I'll be stunned.

Yeah, its really unlikely.

Unless he suffers a severe, long-term injury, or another QB solidifies himself as an elite prospect (like RG3 did behind Luck), he's a shoe-in for the #2 overall pick.

If we did happen to end up with that pick, its a golden opportunity to move down (again, like the Rams got with RG3).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We probably need to answer this question first: Do we even WANT him?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaX 07 wrote:

Want? Yes. Need? Probably not. We have more pressing issues on our team to address. His talent level makes it a tough call though. I think he's more talented than anyone in the NFL on a physical standpoint.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faccda01 wrote:
shaX 07 wrote:

Want? Yes. Need? Probably not. We have more pressing issues on our team to address. His talent level makes it a tough call though. I think he's more talented than anyone in the NFL on a physical standpoint.

He's probably the most freakish DE to come out since Peppers from 10 years ago. If he was there and Hardy was out of the picture; you bet your bibby that I'm drafting Clowney.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
faccda01 wrote:
shaX 07 wrote:

He's probably the most freakish DE to come out since Peppers from 10 years ago. If he was there and Hardy was out of the picture; you bet your bibby that I'm drafting Clowney.

...and the offense continues to stink... If teams were willing to move for Dion Jordan teams will be all over Peppers 2.0... If the Panthers are in position to draft Clowney, they should look to move down and acquire multiple picks.
Cypher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd still take the best LT on the board, honestly. Unless it's Koujandijo. I feel he projects almost exclusively to RT.

NS922 wrote:
All on LOLton for page stretching to Green Idk what happened my phone graduated to ROFLtron
faccda01

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbrown2699 wrote:
boondock wrote:
faccda01 wrote:
shaX 07 wrote:

...and the offense continues to stink... If teams were willing to move for Dion Jordan teams will be all over Peppers 2.0... If the Panthers are in position to draft Clowney, they should look to move down and acquire multiple picks.

Good point, we could definitely amass a lot of picks for him. Still, the guy's talent amazes me. I think he has more raw talent than Peppers did when he came out. It wouldn't be an easy decision. In terms of talent and hype coming out of high school, I'd go as far to compare Clowney to LeBron James.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faccda01 wrote:
tbrown2699 wrote:
boondock wrote:
faccda01 wrote:
shaX 07 wrote:

Good point, we could definitely amass a lot of picks for him. Still, the guy's talent amazes me. I think he has more raw talent than Peppers did when he came out. It wouldn't be an easy decision. In terms of talent and hype coming out of high school, I'd go as far to compare Clowney to LeBron James.

As the principal said in The Breakfast Club, "grab some wood there, bub..." Comparing Clowney to LBJ is a bit much. I haven't seen much of Clowney, but I'll say that the Peppers comparison is much easier to equate. I don't question his raw talent, rather his motor. He effects every play, but his talent isn't going to make this team drastically better. We need a LT. Our needs are OL (multiple), WR and DB. OLB is more a need than DE. Now if we let Hardy walk, I'd snag him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: