Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hangin with Mr. Cooper
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiefer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Hangin with Mr. Cooper Reply with quote

I don't know maybe I'm jumping the gun, but Marcus Cooper is looking like he might just become the next great Corner in this league.

He's got the size, the length, the athletic ability, the toughness, the attitude, the aggresiveness. He turns for the ball and can rip a ball right out of a WRs hands.

He learned under Nnamdi/Rodgers and 9ers coaching, got snatched up by us and began to learn under the tutelage of guys like Emmitt Thomas/Al Harris/B-Flow/Sean Smith.

Jakuvious put it best I think when he said he's got Flowers mentality in a 6'2, 4.4 speed body.

A QB rating of 9 when thrown at.Shocked And he's played plenty of snaps the last couple weeks. Including a start outside that pushed B-Flow inside, I think Sutton is just trying to find ways to get him onto the field(which again is nice to see from a GOOD Coaching staff) He went up against some very tough WRs to cover too.

Of course Corner is a hard position to play, and consistency is tough. I remember when McCourty in NE was the next great corner and now is a safety.

But he's turned the coaching staff into believers. I don't think that is easy to do, being a waiver-wire pickup former 7th round rookie.
simonwayne

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6-2, 4.40, a 40 inch vertical, and he has for the most part covered WR's (Cruz and Britt) like a glove so far. San Francisco was absolutely insane for letting this man go.

I won't be surprised to see us start putting Flowers at nickel a lot more often just to get Cooper on the field...
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how far back they saw this. Arenas used to be the slot CB. when did they trade him?

J

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onejayhawk wrote:
I wonder how far back they saw this. Arenas used to be the slot CB. when did they trade him?

J

They traded him while Cooper was still a 49er
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw5_2LpXXKo

I'm on this guy's team. Stud.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
Mikek163

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The great thing about Cooper is teams are actually attacking him. They aren't going after Sean Smith or Flowers all that often, so he is getting the brunt of the throws, and is absolutely locking down these guys. Hakeem Nicks and Kenny Britt aren't WRs to laugh at.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikek163 wrote:
The great thing about Cooper is teams are actually attacking him. They aren't going after Sean Smith or Flowers all that often, so he is getting the brunt of the throws, and is absolutely locking down these guys. Hakeem Nicks and Kenny Britt aren't WRs to laugh at.

Ima let u finish, but Britt is the worst receiver OF ALL TIME.

Seriously. Dude drops more balls than Ryan Mallett [REMOVED BY MODERATOR].

[Ryk, you know better than mentioning a drug reference]

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Oooohhhh YEAHH!!! WOO PIG SOOIE!
samsel23

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryknowssd wrote:
Mikek163 wrote:

Seriously. Dude drops more balls than Ryan Mallett [REMOVED BY MODERATOR].

^^This. Plus most of his athlecticism is gone after the injuries.

The coverage of Nicks, Cruz, and Randle is definitely promising though.

Always love those UDFA steals for other teams! (Oh snap he actually plays for us, Dorsey may have found 1 in his first year)

Pioli was an alright at drafting, but he never had a Cooper or anything of the sort. Hartman was probably his best and we see where he's at

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryknowssd wrote:
Mikek163 wrote:

Seriously. Dude drops more balls than Ryan Mallett snorts.

Laughing

Didn't he rip that interception from Nate Washington?

He's no slouch I think.
valkrei

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooper is ballin.

Props to Loto Tailback for the SIG!
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's probably the best corner ever. Seriously I think he's already the best on the team...

Take a breath folks, he's playing very well, I'm pumped he is playing so well, and I'd love him to be a steal and as Val so eloquently put it...he's straight Ballin' right now. That being said, these threads are why people sometimes come in and mock our (over)enthusiasm.

Measurables though, he's got them, teams are going at him and he's standing up to the tests. If he keeps this up for the whole season without a doubt he's got potential to be the steal of the off-season. I really hope that my being a little more reserved is proven wrong and this kid continues to blow up. Plus him playing means Dunta is on the field less, and right now that's fantabulous!
ryknowssd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiefer wrote:
Laughing

Didn't he rip that interception from Nate Washington?

He's no slouch I think.

Yup. Don't get me wrong. I'm not discrediting Cooper's ballin' play so far. Just pointing out that Britt sucks pretty hard.

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Oooohhhh YEAHH!!! WOO PIG SOOIE!
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to give some statistics on the matter...

Last week, Flowers saw all 70 snaps (along with Houston, Johnson, Hali, and Berry, all of which never stepped off the field.) Sean Smith saw 65, and Marcus Cooper saw 57. Dunta Robinson never set foot on the field, while Abdullah was relegated to 4 snaps as Demps saw a lot of time at FS (51 snaps) and Cooper at CB.

The majority of Flowers's snaps came at NB, as we spent far more time in the nickel and dime than we did in a base defense set (probably 52 snaps, using logic, but not necessarily.) All of Cooper's 57 snaps came at LCB, all of Smith's came at RCB, and Flowers played a mix of LCB when Cooper was on the bench, RCB when Smith was, and SCB when both were on the field.

Cooper was targeted a whopping 8 times, 5 times against Nate Washington, 3 times against Kenny Britt. We did not have corners follow at all, except Flowers, who while in the slot focused on Kendall Wright, EXCEPT a bit later in the game when we were running some zone defense to try to counter Fitzpatrick's running, in which case a mix of LBs and Ss typically were dealing with Wright.

I won't go into depth about the Giants game, as injuries to Flowers muddled things up (Abdullah played in the dime, Robinson at slot usually following Cruz, and Cooper and Smith on the outside, most of the time, anyway), but Cooper was targeted 6 times, and only allowed 1 catch for 9 yards. 3 targets were Nicks, 2 were Randle, and 1 was Cruz, so he got a good mix of the Giants receivers. He directly deflected one pass to Nicks, and one pass to Randle. He also added a deflection against Washington, and the pick against Washington against Tennessee.

I've seen some say he may push Flowers to the slot, and the reality is, he already has. Unless this was a one time deal because Kendall Wright scared the crap out of us enough to put Flowers on him, for some reason, this is already our defensive plan. Berry is permanent at SS, Lewis takes most snaps at FS, getting spelled by Demps, with Demps also playing a third S position when we use Berry in man as a nickelback or a LB kind of role. Sean Smith plays basically every snap at RCB, aside from the occasion rest, when Flowers spells him. Flowers plays every snap at LCB when we roll with 2 CBs, but once we put a third on the field, he moves to whoever the primary slot guy is, while Cooper mans LCB. Berry, Lewis, Demps, Houston, or Abdullah (if we run really a lot of DBs) handle either the TEs or the lower priority slot guy. Delanie Walker and Brandon Myers saw a lot of Berry and Demps, for instance.

Overall, in 128 snaps, Cooper has been targeted 14 times, allowed 3 catches for 30 yards, deflected 3 others and intercepted one.

For reference, Dunta Robinson, in 121 snaps, was targeted 13 times, allowed 10 receptions for 187 yards, a TD, and only managed to knock down one pass.

Adopt-a-Chief: Brandon Flowers
45 Tackles, 1 sack, 1 Interception, 32 INT yards, 5 PDs
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's pushed Flowers to the slot because he is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better outside CB than Dunta is a NCB. Flowers will be Flowers either place (something else that makes him super special), and Cooper and Smith can press and dominate on the outside.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing about that deal:

Quote:
5/10/2013: Signed a four-year, $2.205 million contract. The deal included a $45,896 signing bonus.

He's on a 4-year 7th round rookie deal - and the Chiefs didn't even have to carry the signing bonus.

His salary will inflate to the ROTF RFA tender level year 4 ... but heck - that may be 1.6 M$ by 2016.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: