Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Matt Flynn released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
big_palooka

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raidr4life wrote:
Yeah because he just might save their jobs. Pryor said himself when asked if Flynn was supportive of him when he said 'he can't help it if people were still dwelling on things'.

Pretty sure the defense that is carrying this team right now is the reason Allen will keep his job. Team is fighting, hungry and surprisingly fun to watch despite limited talent.

Hats off to the coaching staff and FO for finding players who are really rallying together.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ok with the Flynn catch and release.

Trading for Flynn might've been the best thing for the Raiders and Pryor. Let's say the trade never happened on Apr 2nd and we went into the draft without a decent QB. They might've reached for Geno or EJ Manuel and we'd have a QB controversy possibly at this point or, more likely, Pryor'd be the backup and wasting away.

Pryor might not end up as good as either of those two and, then again, he might be better. But this way we're winning some games and letting him develop rather than investing years in a more expensive rookie/1st round pick.
Django

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yogi wrote:

Trading for Flynn might've been the best thing for the Raiders and Pryor. Let's say the trade never happened on Apr 2nd and we went into the draft without a decent QB. They might've reached for Geno or EJ Manuel and we'd have a QB controversy possibly at this point or, more likely, Pryor'd be the backup and wasting away.

Pryor might not end up as good as either of those two and, then again, he might be better. But this way we're winning some games and letting him develop rather than investing years in a more expensive rookie/1st round pick.

I dont think Geno survives behind this OLine. Even though he's still more mobile than Flynn. However, he would probably make better use of our weapons than Pryor right now (again..if given time)

EJ and Geno winded up in the right places.

I think the presence of Flynn....still was a good push for him. Flynn by name was a bigger challenge....than Flynn the player. Good enough to push him...but still has a reasonable shot to beat him out.

Pryor was never beating Carson out for the job. Even though Carson is somewhat struggling this year....he still is far superior than Flynn.
BlackPrestige92

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yogi wrote:

I like the way you put things in perspective. You might be the most mellow poster here.....or maybe that avi is tricking me.

“If Phil Jackson came back, still no coaching me, I’m uncoachable, I’m unsociable.
-Kendrick Lamar
G

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pryor's improvement has been excellent and he has EARNED it!
Flynn had his shots and couldn't STEP UP and take it in two places Oakland and Seattle...
I'd rather roll with Pryor this year and bring Wilson up from PS if there is an injury.
As far as a QB next year, I had been all for it, but now I'd rather roll with Pryor and build a team with picks and FA's. If a name QB gets the axe due to a younger option, then I'd consider bringing in another guy, or if a QB falls on draft day, but I'd rather get some weapons on O, resign our D, add some pass rushers and get some interior protection to go with Veldheer and Watson as our bookends.
If Pryor keeps improving then long term contract, if not a QB in 2015, but Pryor has me believing that he can play QB with the improvement I've seen. Looks like a team LEADER who has their respect. He's got mine now too.
In 2-4 weeks I'll probably be hating though. Laughing
Winning and beating a division rival heals A LOT!!! Twisted Evil

EDIT: Sorry Flynn is the topic and I'd rather cut him and not have it hurt our cap next season. Dead money now as it was this years mistake.
PS Had we not made the trade, Pryor wouldn't be playing as I'd bet Palmer would have been kept...Something to think about. HUMMM...
nickdawg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agarcia34 wrote:
dmac505 wrote:
anyone know how this effects the cap for next season?

I believe it gives the Raiders more cap room like two million. All dead money will count towards this year.

It all depends on the structure of his contract he had with Oakland, and whatever one he signs next (probably with Green Bay). There was offset language in his deal here, which means his guaranteed salary will be reduced by however much he makes the rest of the year.

As far as the dead money goes, his 'restructure' when he came into Oakland bumped it up to $6.5M. His salary at the time of his release (which was NOT more than $6.5M) minus that bonus and any other signing bonus he had is the cap hit.
Dreadymatt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"....maybe Flynn said something he shoudln’t have done"

http://raidalove.wordpress.com/2013/10/08/raiders-release-flynn/
Darbsk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Flynn is blackeye on McKenzie right now. Gave up 2 draft picks and paid him 6.5 million for 5 games essentially. That ranks among some of the worst Al Davis moves.
Have to go back, but what options did Oakland have at the time at QB. They had 1 (Pryor) on roster who they probably didn't expect this level off improvement from.

Most the quality vets were picked up. They needed a QB.

Looks bad in hindsight, but who knows what options were there at the time.

Or.... glass half full, they knew exactly what they were doing. Getting some of that Flynn magic. The kind that makes your young QB punk him and develop at a rapid pace. Laughing Laughing

The trade for Flynn was not a great move at all in hindsight. The huge difference between Reggie and Al is that we can cut him now without severely affecting our future contracts or cap hits. This move doesn't really affect us in the long term in the ways that a Javon Walker or DeAngelo Hall or Carson Palmer trade did.

Shows the FO has belief in Pryor at this point and that they are not to proud to revise an opinion and admit the made a mistake. Good that the mistake wasn't of enormous consequence. I loved Al but every trade he made towards the last few years seemed to put us in cap or draft pick hell Laughing
Dreadymatt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreadymatt wrote:
"....maybe Flynn said something he shoudln’t have done"

http://raidalove.wordpress.com/2013/10/08/raiders-release-flynn/

...and if its Pat White, sit back andd enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0iqcN2p9Fg

(imagine lining up both TP & PW in the same backfield as a mega trick line up)
early43

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
raidr4life wrote:
Yeah because he just might save their jobs. Pryor said himself when asked if Flynn was supportive of him when he said 'he can't help it if people were still dwelling on things'.

Pretty sure the defense that is carrying this team right now is the reason Allen will keep his job. Team is fighting, hungry and surprisingly fun to watch despite limited talent.

Hats off to the coaching staff and FO for finding players who are really rallying together.

This.

Welcomed change from what we were use to around here.
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did anyone buy a mf jersey? dude went from 6 mill golden boy starter with reg's heavy co-sign to bum arm mf that gets released before the bye week. Laughing

like bp said "black eye" for reg

i wonder what Davis jr has to say he has been quiet for a while.

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yogi wrote:

+1

Given what Reggie knew at the time (no confidence in Pryor, CP wanting out, limited cap space, prior relationship with Flynn, seeking TC competition) he made lemons out of lemonade. Not too concerned about the late round picks and iirc McKenzie moved most of Flynn's money into bonus money which means no dead money.
dmac505

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
Yogi wrote:

+1

Given what Reggie knew at the time (no confidence in Pryor, CP wanting out, limited cap space, prior relationship with Flynn, seeking TC competition) he made lemons out of lemonade. Not too concerned about the late round picks and iirc McKenzie moved most of Flynn's money into bonus money which means no dead money.

Now that is impressive! Laughing

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Django

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Laughing (Saw this on the CBS website)

TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Django wrote:
Shocked Laughing (Saw this on the CBS website)

lol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: