Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Greg Hardy rejects extension offer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fraziafraze07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Greg Hardy rejects extension offer Reply with quote

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2013/10/7/4812380/greg-hardy-rejected-extension-panthers

Quote:
Greg Hardy was offered a 4-year, $32 million contract extension, which was turned down by the Panthers star defensive end -- according to Brett Jensen on WFNZ this morning.

Hardy would have made $8 million per season under the deal, which Jensen indicated was rejected due to the figure being too low for agent Drew Rosenhaus to accept. The offer pales in comparison to the 6-year, $72 million deal signed by Charles Johnson in 2011.

It's tough to justify sinking so much money into a single position, but considering how important Dave Gettleman (and myself) believes that a dominant front four is to a defense, I'd offer Hardy more to get him to sign. I believe his play on the field warrants it. Perhaps Gettleman disgarees, or thinks that the rotational players we have behind him are good enough that losing Hardy wouldn't be as big a blow.

Thoughts? Would you offer Hardy more?

Rich7sena wrote:
Someone's going HAM on the button in Buffalo Wild Wings.
shaX 07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how far apart we are. If we're 1-2 mil per year apart, then sure, lets get it done. If he wants what Charles Johnson got than I don't see it being efficient to re-sign him.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Greg and hope he comes back, he's so good. I want to keep this front four together as long as possible. Gettelman doesnt strike me as the guy who is going to throw money at him to keep him around, Im not expecting us to over pay. The Giants always had great depth on the line, they werent afraid to let guys walk.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 years is perfect, nothing more. it seems like we can reach a deal with a higher signing bonus, and save cap room by providing incentives.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just the start of the negotiation, I'm not surprised he didn't accept the first deal offered. I'm sure we will come up a bit from that, and as mentioned above we can throw in a nice sized signing bonus to sweeten the deal.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericr0319 wrote:
4 years is perfect, nothing more. it seems like we can reach a deal with a higher signing bonus, and save cap room by providing incentives.
I love the way this guy thinks Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...agent Drew Rosenhaus..."

Scariest words in sports. This isn't going to end well for us.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silverback47 wrote:
"...agent Drew Rosenhaus..."

Scariest words in sports. This isn't going to end well for us.

Actually we used to have a good relationship with Drew. Back when everyone was burning him at the stake, we were extending players he represented no problem.

NS922 wrote:
All on LOLton for page stretching to Green Idk what happened my phone graduated to ROFLtron
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand why we only offered him $8 mill/year, but I understand even more why he didn't accept it. Assuming he doesn't suffer a major injury or a major drop-off in play, someone will probably give him something very similar to Johnson's contract when he hits free agency. But at the same time, he's had a lot of inconsistent moments (this year especially, it seems like he has a great quarter then disappears for the next two), so it makes sense that we wouldn't want to shell out a huge contract.
faccda01

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
I understand why we only offered him $8 mill/year, but I understand even more why he didn't accept it. Assuming he doesn't suffer a major injury or a major drop-off in play, someone will probably give him something very similar to Johnson's contract when he hits free agency. But at the same time, he's had a lot of inconsistent moments (this year especially, it seems like he has a great quarter then disappears for the next two), so it makes sense that we wouldn't want to shell out a huge contract.

I think we will go up from that 8 mill offer. It is still early, and if he accepted it we'd get a bargain. I'd say we will be up close to the 10/11 mill per year range as the negotiation continues. In the meantime I'm sure Hardy will be playing very well to make sure the FO knows he is worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all his sacks came in one game so far. against the giants who give up sacks to everyone. he's def talented and i'd love to have him. im pretty sure the fact we're awful is gonna force a lot of guys to jump ship. we're basically a practice squad for the rest of the nfl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjkilla wrote:
all his sacks came in one game so far. against the giants who give up sacks to everyone. he's def talented and i'd love to have him. im pretty sure the fact we're awful is gonna force a lot of guys to jump ship. we're basically a practice squad for the rest of the nfl

Calm down, we aren't that bad. You are making it seem like we are the Jaguars.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faccda01 wrote:
rjkilla wrote:

Calm down, we aren't that bad. You are making it seem like we are the Jaguars.

Agreed. We are easily a coaching change and a few personell changes away from being a pretty good team.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we'd find a way to lose to the jags. if i was a professional football player i would not want to play for the panthers right now. they clearly suck out loud

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjkilla wrote:
we'd find a way to lose to the jags. if i was a professional football player i would not want to play for the panthers right now. they clearly suck out loud

If that is your opinion, why do you even root for them? They clearly aren't worth your time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: