Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is it worth it to even put top resources in defense anymore?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingTitan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Is it worth it to even put top resources in defense anymore? Reply with quote

Just a discussion topic....
Looking at the Broncos/Cowboys game made me think where is the defense!?

Thinking about our game where there were some calls against us and for us, that in old school football wouldn't have been called.

Is it even worth it to try to build a top level defense anymore? I know you can't just be weak, so you need something, but top picks?

I think the days of seeing a true hardcore #1 defense is over. There will always be a #1 ranked defense in the league. Some defenses will be harder to score against than others.
But teams like the 99 Titans or that Ravens defense, those days appear to be over.

It's all about offense. Having players who are able to make plays on offense...

Just a thought...discuss if u like.

Last edited by KingTitan on Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's very important. I don't care what anyone says, defense is what wins championships. Both the Cowboys and Broncos D's(With Miller and Champ out) suck. It's no surprise the top teams in the league usually have good to solid D's. Both the Seahawks and 49ers win the old school way. They play great D and control the clock running the ball. Yes they have solid QBs but nothing elite IMO. Their WRs are nothing special outside of a couple players. I can guarantee Peyton won't put up 51 on the Titans D.
edro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure does seem that defense is being legislated out of the game. I think Goodell and the powers that be are doing all they can to minimize the threat of concussion/medical problems resulting in multi-hundred-million dollar lawsuits. That's the driving/motivating force behind it.
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its hard to overlook what the Broncos are doing on offense, but their D had been pretty decent before yesterday.

And while passing has been on an upward trend, looking at the top of the league, you find more Defense than at first glance.

Chiefs, Seahawks, Patriots, Niners, Bengals all may be classified as D first teams. Even the Colts and the Saints have displayed surprisingly strong D play this year.

Peyton and that offense are just playing out of their minds right now, but when the weather starts changing, I think things will come back to the middle again... and I still think a strong D will mean a lot more in December and January.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Broncos/Cowboys game was great but rarely do games go that way come postseason. Look at some of the best offenses of all time. 07 Patriots, 98 Vikings, 00 Rams, 83 Redskins, 04 Colts. None of those teams won the Super Bowl. Now you look at some of the best defenses of all time. 85 Bears, 00 Ravens, 08 Steelers, 76 Steelers. All except the 76 Steelers (who've won numerous others SB during the 70s) won the Super Bowl.

This Broncos team looks like an all time great offense, but we'll see how they do come postseason. I'm still a believer of the old saying, "Defense wins Championships", even in todays NFL.
TitanSS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think defense is important. The NFL is just recently seeing this high-flying offense and defenses haven't really had time to adjust yet. There's a chance we could see a change in some what we look at when we examine personell on defense.

One example would be if teams started to look for players similar to Dion Bailey, S, out of USC. Bailey started his college career as a safety before playing two seasons at OLB. He is now back to safety in his final year. Teams could start looking for players like him to have as a 3rd safety to leave on the field the majority of the time. Capable of defending the pass while still not being a liability in the run.

With all that said I still think QBs are going to win championships.

What's more scarey than Peyton Manning is Andrew Luck and the Colts. I didn't realize how many key players they added in the offseason.

I'll stop rambling right about........................now.
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defense doesn't necessarily win championships. Quarterbacks do. Thinking otherwise is a Jeff Fisher-esque mindset. A good defense is nice, but even a truly dominant one is not more important than having a reliable clutch QB, especially in today's game. For example, The Raven's last year were 17th in yards per game on defense and tied for 12th in points allowed. Far from dominant, but they won it all. And they won it all primarily due to Joe Flacco roasting secondaries in the playoffs.

Another example would be the Texans this year. They arguably have the best defensive player in football (Watt) and one of the games truly elite LB's (Cushing) playing at high levels in the prime of their careers and still the feeling is that Houston's on the brink of implosion due to unrest at QB. A Trent Dilfer like performance at QB should lift a team like Houston, with a great running game, solid receivers, and a championship defense to the top right? Not in today's game.

Great QB > Great Defense... All Day Everyday (since 2004)

**RIP Steve McNair**
Titans fan 617

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defense still matters despite the score it took a Ravens defensive stand to win there Super Bowl. Giants defense helped win it against New England also. Defense still matters dont worry when the Broncos lose in the playoffs everyone will be saying oh poor Manning only if he had a defense and didnt crap his pants again

Sig by daboyle250

TITANIA FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: