Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

time for cam to go
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
johnydtarheel


Joined: 14 Feb 2007
Posts: 4207
Location: Charlotte NC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9806344/bill-barnwell-carolina-panthers-offense

Quote:
To them and those worried about Newton's development: chill. This is probably going to work out, because Newton is playing pretty well right now, just as he has over the course of his pro career. And even if Newton doesn't end up being the long-term answer in Carolina, consider that the guy who would be picking up the starting duties for the Panthers would be one Derek Anderson.


Very good article.
_________________

Thanks CK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boondock


Moderator
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 21262
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Grantland.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fraziafraze07


Joined: 16 Apr 2006
Posts: 9263
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Through four games this season, the Panthers have allowed 15!!! sacks. There is no way of knowing whether or not they will keep up that pace, but considering the injuries along the line and their current struggles in pass protection, I'm not optimistic.

For comparison, the Panthers gave up only 24 sacks all of last year--36 less than their current pace. So for those of you complaining that Cam Newton has regressed, I think you need to admit that he's had to deal with a great deal more pressure than he did last year.

Does that fully excuse his play? No, absolutely not. He hasn't made the strides we want to see from him. When he does get time to throw, he hasn't exactly lit the world on fire.

But it is inconceivable to me to see anyone clamoring for us to find a replacement at QB for him. The organization has not put him in a position to take us where we want him to take us. We haven't surrounded him with a coaching staff that can groom him properly or with the supporting cast on offense to allow him to really shine.

Am I saying that Cam is definitely the answer? No. I think he can be. But now is not the time to cut bait. We need to give him two years with a coaches who know what they're doing and an offensive line that will keep his butt off the turf. If he hasn't improved after year 4, you start to plan for potentially replacing him. In year 5, you give him a short leash and maybe he loses his job, maybe he plays well enough to not lose it but we still replace him after the year.

But not now. Definitely not now.
_________________


Rich7sena wrote:
Someone's going HAM on the button in Buffalo Wild Wings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cypher


Joined: 04 Mar 2008
Posts: 2292
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fraziafraze07 wrote:
Through four games this season, the Panthers have allowed 15!!! sacks. There is no way of knowing whether or not they will keep up that pace, but considering the injuries along the line and their current struggles in pass protection, I'm not optimistic.

For comparison, the Panthers gave up only 24 sacks all of last year--36 less than their current pace. So for those of you complaining that Cam Newton has regressed, I think you need to admit that he's had to deal with a great deal more pressure than he did last year.

Does that fully excuse his play? No, absolutely not. He hasn't made the strides we want to see from him. When he does get time to throw, he hasn't exactly lit the world on fire.

But it is inconceivable to me to see anyone clamoring for us to find a replacement at QB for him. The organization has not put him in a position to take us where we want him to take us. We haven't surrounded him with a coaching staff that can groom him properly or with the supporting cast on offense to allow him to really shine.

Am I saying that Cam is definitely the answer? No. I think he can be. But now is not the time to cut bait. We need to give him two years with a coaches who know what they're doing and an offensive line that will keep his butt off the turf. If he hasn't improved after year 4, you start to plan for potentially replacing him. In year 5, you give him a short leash and maybe he loses his job, maybe he plays well enough to not lose it but we still replace him after the year.

But not now. Definitely not now.


We gave up 38 sacks last year, not 24. Aside from that, I haven't seen film of every sack from every game, but I did watch all of the Buffalo ones, and only two were really on the oline.

The 1st and 3rd I believe it was were on Newton. The 5th was a hail mary and they just couldn't hold that long.
_________________

NS922 wrote:
All on LOLton for page stretching to Green Idk what happened my phone graduated to ROFLtron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tbrown2699


Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 2305
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe this thread is still alive. What is going to happen when Cam lights up Minnesota's weak pass D for 300 and 3 TD's? Lot's of teams will struggle against ARZ's defense. Patrick Peterson is a top 3 corner, Honey Badger is being utilized well and their pass rush is scary. Not making excuses for the offense (b/c I'm not happy with it either) but if Cam has to throw it 40 times/game that means they are not committed to running the ball. That's when "Bad Cam" emerges...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cypher


Joined: 04 Mar 2008
Posts: 2292
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbrown2699 wrote:
I can't believe this thread is still alive. What is going to happen when Cam lights up Minnesota's weak pass D for 300 and 3 TD's? Lot's of teams will struggle against ARZ's defense. Patrick Peterson is a top 3 corner, Honey Badger is being utilized well and their pass rush is scary. Not making excuses for the offense (b/c I'm not happy with it either) but if Cam has to throw it 40 times/game that means they are not committed to running the ball. That's when "Bad Cam" emerges...


This kind of logic gets to me. If we're going to lose every game that Cam has to throw 40 times, he's not a franchise QB. He has to be able to put the team on his back sometimes and just get it done.
_________________

NS922 wrote:
All on LOLton for page stretching to Green Idk what happened my phone graduated to ROFLtron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tbrown2699


Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 2305
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
tbrown2699 wrote:
I can't believe this thread is still alive. What is going to happen when Cam lights up Minnesota's weak pass D for 300 and 3 TD's? Lot's of teams will struggle against ARZ's defense. Patrick Peterson is a top 3 corner, Honey Badger is being utilized well and their pass rush is scary. Not making excuses for the offense (b/c I'm not happy with it either) but if Cam has to throw it 40 times/game that means they are not committed to running the ball. That's when "Bad Cam" emerges...


This kind of logic gets to me. If we're going to lose every game that Cam has to throw 40 times, he's not a franchise QB. He has to be able to put the team on his back sometimes and just get it done.

Go look at how many times Kaepernick is throwing it. Russel Wilson or even Andrew Luck. Luck beat the Seahawks with 31 pass attempts. All of these guys are throwing it 30 or less times per game and winning. Why? Because their teams are committed to running the ball. These are the QB's Cam is being compared to and this is his formula for victory, just go look at his history. Cam is not compared to Manning, Rogers, Brees or Romo. Those guys are pure passers and don't rely on a great running game to win. The way the Panthers are set up currently they have to get production from the running game or it's lights out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fraziafraze07


Joined: 16 Apr 2006
Posts: 9263
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
fraziafraze07 wrote:
Through four games this season, the Panthers have allowed 15!!! sacks. There is no way of knowing whether or not they will keep up that pace, but considering the injuries along the line and their current struggles in pass protection, I'm not optimistic.

For comparison, the Panthers gave up only 24 sacks all of last year--36 less than their current pace. So for those of you complaining that Cam Newton has regressed, I think you need to admit that he's had to deal with a great deal more pressure than he did last year.

Does that fully excuse his play? No, absolutely not. He hasn't made the strides we want to see from him. When he does get time to throw, he hasn't exactly lit the world on fire.

But it is inconceivable to me to see anyone clamoring for us to find a replacement at QB for him. The organization has not put him in a position to take us where we want him to take us. We haven't surrounded him with a coaching staff that can groom him properly or with the supporting cast on offense to allow him to really shine.

Am I saying that Cam is definitely the answer? No. I think he can be. But now is not the time to cut bait. We need to give him two years with a coaches who know what they're doing and an offensive line that will keep his butt off the turf. If he hasn't improved after year 4, you start to plan for potentially replacing him. In year 5, you give him a short leash and maybe he loses his job, maybe he plays well enough to not lose it but we still replace him after the year.

But not now. Definitely not now.


We gave up 38 sacks last year, not 24. Aside from that, I haven't seen film of every sack from every game, but I did watch all of the Buffalo ones, and only two were really on the oline.

The 1st and 3rd I believe it was were on Newton. The 5th was a hail mary and they just couldn't hold that long.


I got the 24 sack number from here:

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2013/10/10/4826244/projecting-key-panthers-team-player-season-stats

Sorry for the mistake; I should have vetted the stat.

My point still stands. We're still on pace for 22 more sacks this year. And I'm not giving Cam a free pass here. I've admitted he needs to improve. I just strongly disagree with the idea that we need to give up on him.
_________________


Rich7sena wrote:
Someone's going HAM on the button in Buffalo Wild Wings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
faccda01


Joined: 25 Feb 2007
Posts: 4036
Location: Delaware
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnydtarheel wrote:
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9806344/bill-barnwell-carolina-panthers-offense

Quote:
To them and those worried about Newton's development: chill. This is probably going to work out, because Newton is playing pretty well right now, just as he has over the course of his pro career. And even if Newton doesn't end up being the long-term answer in Carolina, consider that the guy who would be picking up the starting duties for the Panthers would be one Derek Anderson.


Very good article.


Extrememly good article. I think it echoes a lot of what some of us have been saying. We have WRs that would be 5th at best for most teams. We have a conservative coach that doesn't understand he needs to play to his QB, not make his QB play to him. We have an OL that has been riddled by injury and the backups are not playing well.

Sure there are mistakes made by Cam, and the article concedes that. However, saying we should give up on him already is ridiculous to me, especially considering who we'd have to replace him (nobody).
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Uncle Buck


Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 15234
Location: Viking Country
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, this thread is really surprising. I haven't seen any Panthers games yet this year, so I haven't been following the team too much. I was under the impression that Cam was one of the best young QB's in the league. Hopefully he can turn things around.
_________________


Aout wrote:
What is wrong with all these Packer fans insulting and raging all the time?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
iknowcool


Joined: 15 Apr 2009
Posts: 13784
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
If we're going to lose every game that Cam has to throw 40 times, he's not a franchise QB.


The Steelers are 8-17 when Roethlisberger throws 40+ times, and 4 of those wins the offense scored 13 or less points.

Is Roethlisberger not a franchise QB?
_________________
cpanthers178990 wrote:
Panthers coming back from 13 down is like a normal team coming back from 35 down.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boondock


Moderator
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 21262
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Buck wrote:
Man, this thread is really surprising. I haven't seen any Panthers games yet this year, so I haven't been following the team too much. I was under the impression that Cam was one of the best young QB's in the league. Hopefully he can turn things around.


He is the one of the best young QBs in the league, there's just a lot of discussion around putting the full blame on Cam for the shortcoming this season.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
3428fanatic


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 745
Location: north carolina
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has made a lot better desicions today. I love when he plays like this. Its just not that often. Hope this continues.


I will eat crow.
_________________

carolina kitten on the crazy sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eric dunn


Joined: 09 Mar 2007
Posts: 6080
Location: San Antonio, TX
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric dunn wrote:
Dont sweat it guys, Cam should torch our secondary this week. We have easily one of the weakest pass defenses in the league.

Soooo, if he looks bad again this week. Maybe Cam is in trouble. Laughing



Wink
_________________

#TEDDYTHEVIKING
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
iknowcool


Joined: 15 Apr 2009
Posts: 13784
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not going to comment on his accuracy as he didn't have to make too many difficult throws, although he did have 2 really good ones to Smith and Ginn and both on 3rd down if I remember correctly, but this is the first game where I have seen him consistently step up into the pocket and set his feet for his throws. Gotta give credit to our guards on that too.
_________________
cpanthers178990 wrote:
Panthers coming back from 13 down is like a normal team coming back from 35 down.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group