Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Clay Matthews has a broken thumb
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfinley88

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kampman74 wrote:
"What did he do break a nail?" Mad Mad Mad

People still this phrase? That's gotta be in the top 10 most annoying phrases people use. If a guy says this he automatically loses so many respectability points. I dunno why, but these are facts... jfin facts.
blankman0021

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

General_Bean wrote:
I'm calling a Packer will get an injury this year no athlete has ever got. Maybe like a strained earlobe

That sounds career threatening.

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
palmy50

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jsitton71# wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
blankman0021 wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
squire12 wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
This one sucks for sure. I don't view it as an excuse for bad football though. This years Packers team has too much talent on that side of the ball for me to buy into that crap. Kinda how I felt about the Lions fans going off over this past weekends game without CJ. Sure that injury hurt. But the Packers shut down a team with a great QB, LT, RB, #1-TE, #2-TE, and a host of solid if not special WR's. Don't blame the injury, blame the others for not picking up their game.

LIS, this one sucks. Will be fun to see Perry do what he does best though. Let him pin them back and get after it over the weak side. Have little doubt Neal can set the point on the other side. Is it Clay? Hell no, but sure as hell good enough with the rest of the talent around them.

Good luck running on this group as well. FRICKIN HUGE up front in base with a combo of Perry, Neal, Pickett, Raji, and Jolly.

palmy,

Did you notice anything different when Perry was coming from the ROLB position vs the left? To me, he looked more comfortable and seemed to be better able to utilize the skills he flashed in college. The first sack, he seemed to bend and get the corner very well and leverage his way to Stafford.

Does flipping Neal and Perry from side to side lessen the chance the OT gets a feel for how to best set up against each players pass rush?

Before I go into this one let me just say that when Clay comes back I want him on the weak side. I view this very much so the same way I do RT/LT. I want my best pass rusher playing the weak side just like I want my best pass blocker on the QB's blind side.

Now, as for the A to the Q.

I just feel playing the weak side in this system comes with MUCH different roles. My core issue with Perry on draft day was that his play was not in line with his body. He looks stout as they come at scale but he is a speed guy at heart. His role on the other side does not come easy for him. Neal is a far more physical football player and though his god given set might fall a bit short of Perry's his style of play is far more in line with what is asked at the strong side rush-LB spot in this Capers system.

In short, Perry's game plays better on the weak side right now. It comes natural for him. Much of what is asked over there he has been doing since high school.

Could this temporary situation actually vault Neal into the starting lineup? I mean, if he plays stout on his side and Perry rushes better from Clays spot, could that push Neal ahead of Perry and Perry be the first LB off the bench?

Doubt it. I kinda like what they have been doing with Neal up until this point. Do think Neal might be a better strong side rush-LB in this Capers system than Perry is as it stands today. That said, Perry still has a ton of upside I for one would not be willing to sit at this point. Needs reps more than anything IMO. I said some time back that I might be willing to lite a fire under Perry with Neal in mind. Maybe this will do so and this terrible injury will play out well for the Packers in the long run.
Maybe they can now free Clay up and move him around to find the mismatch. Clay and Brad Jones would be deadly inside rushers and gets Hawk off the field on passing downs, Clay covers way better than Hawk. Our just use Clay like the Hawks use Bruce Irvin. That would keep him healthy and fresh the entire season.

None of that would shock me. Beating NFL level tackles around the edge down a hand is no easy task. Much more luck has been had in the middle with said club on ones hand. Kinda like the idea of coming up with a package that has Perry, Matthews, Jones, and Neal in it as well. Would make pre/post snap reads hell out there!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
gizmo2012 wrote:
Atari-XXX wrote:
JayGlazer
@JayGlazer

ICYM last night. Clay matthews injury Called a Bennett fracture. Thumb needed to be stabilized w pins as it was dislocated. Pins out in 4 weeks and then probably some more time to heal

Isn't this why God created "The Club" so players with hand and finger injuries can continue playing. I totally don't get it - a month or longer?

I played with a club so I can repeat essentially what they docs told me. If they are able to set your bone(s) back in place manually and cast it up, then they can put a club on that and you can play. If the bones don't set back in place, then they need to surgically put them back and hold them with pins or screws, thus you can't club that up and risk knocking out the pins.

Luckily for me my wrist was able to be set back in place (although excruciatingly painfully) and I could use the club. Matthews needed his repaired with the surgery.

Spot on analysis. Once surgery is needed to fixate the fracture segment, then you need to let that heal or risk further damage to the thumb and surrounding structures. In case you were wondering, having a functioning opposable thumb is what makes humans (and primates) special from other animals. Wink

A Bennett's fracture is a fracture+ dislocation of the carpometacarpal joint.
http://www.wheelessonline.com/ortho/bennetts_fracture_dislocation

Pretty significant injury for anyone, yet alone a NFL OLB that needs use of his hands to perform well at his craft.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbnkR4X0AZ4
jfinley88

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbnkR4X0AZ4

Laughing The nurse is like "Somebody find the biggest pliers you can possibly find and bring them to me. I feel that would be most sufficent in removing this pin."
Gambit Jango

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I drink.

"He brought his doom on himself with his treason but I did love him, Davos. I know that now. I swear, I will go to my grave thinking of my brother’s peach.”
Pugger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfinley88 wrote:
Kampman74 wrote:
"What did he do break a nail?" Mad Mad Mad

People still this phrase? That's gotta be in the top 10 most annoying phrases people use. If a guy says this he automatically loses so many respectability points. I dunno why, but these are facts... jfin facts.

Only we women worry about broken nails. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
Jsitton71# wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
blankman0021 wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
squire12 wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
This one sucks for sure. I don't view it as an excuse for bad football though. This years Packers team has too much talent on that side of the ball for me to buy into that crap. Kinda how I felt about the Lions fans going off over this past weekends game without CJ. Sure that injury hurt. But the Packers shut down a team with a great QB, LT, RB, #1-TE, #2-TE, and a host of solid if not special WR's. Don't blame the injury, blame the others for not picking up their game.

LIS, this one sucks. Will be fun to see Perry do what he does best though. Let him pin them back and get after it over the weak side. Have little doubt Neal can set the point on the other side. Is it Clay? Hell no, but sure as hell good enough with the rest of the talent around them.

Good luck running on this group as well. FRICKIN HUGE up front in base with a combo of Perry, Neal, Pickett, Raji, and Jolly.

palmy,

Did you notice anything different when Perry was coming from the ROLB position vs the left? To me, he looked more comfortable and seemed to be better able to utilize the skills he flashed in college. The first sack, he seemed to bend and get the corner very well and leverage his way to Stafford.

Does flipping Neal and Perry from side to side lessen the chance the OT gets a feel for how to best set up against each players pass rush?

Before I go into this one let me just say that when Clay comes back I want him on the weak side. I view this very much so the same way I do RT/LT. I want my best pass rusher playing the weak side just like I want my best pass blocker on the QB's blind side.

Now, as for the A to the Q.

I just feel playing the weak side in this system comes with MUCH different roles. My core issue with Perry on draft day was that his play was not in line with his body. He looks stout as they come at scale but he is a speed guy at heart. His role on the other side does not come easy for him. Neal is a far more physical football player and though his god given set might fall a bit short of Perry's his style of play is far more in line with what is asked at the strong side rush-LB spot in this Capers system.

In short, Perry's game plays better on the weak side right now. It comes natural for him. Much of what is asked over there he has been doing since high school.

Could this temporary situation actually vault Neal into the starting lineup? I mean, if he plays stout on his side and Perry rushes better from Clays spot, could that push Neal ahead of Perry and Perry be the first LB off the bench?

Doubt it. I kinda like what they have been doing with Neal up until this point. Do think Neal might be a better strong side rush-LB in this Capers system than Perry is as it stands today. That said, Perry still has a ton of upside I for one would not be willing to sit at this point. Needs reps more than anything IMO. I said some time back that I might be willing to lite a fire under Perry with Neal in mind. Maybe this will do so and this terrible injury will play out well for the Packers in the long run.
Maybe they can now free Clay up and move him around to find the mismatch. Clay and Brad Jones would be deadly inside rushers and gets Hawk off the field on passing downs, Clay covers way better than Hawk. Our just use Clay like the Hawks use Bruce Irvin. That would keep him healthy and fresh the entire season.

None of that would shock me. Beating NFL level tackles around the edge down a hand is no easy task. Much more luck has been had in the middle with said club on ones hand. Kinda like the idea of coming up with a package that has Perry, Matthews, Jones, and Neal in it as well. Would make pre/post snap reads hell out there!

But will the package be as effective without Clay out there for 4+ games? Confused

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we won't nearly be as effective I have Neal at five pressures after two games and Perry at five pressures after three games. Perry should be eight to ten right now I think. Also the dline is much improved, so we should continue to be good.

Shame defense put together a nice game, I mean it doesn't count cause CJ was out, only the first three count. Oh and "Clay was a one trick pony with one move" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Comic gold.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really is horrible how broke his thumb. Just re-watched the play on Game Rewind, and it looked like a simple sack. :\
WIsportsfan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kampman74 wrote:
A month and more for a thumb? He is the laughing stock in MN right now. I have not heard the end of it all day. "What did he do break a nail?" Mad Mad Mad

After signing the very definition of mental midget out of sheer desperation, Minnesota fans should just not say anything. Enjoy that journey to 8-8 at best and destroying any chance at a great draft pick though!
palmy50

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WIsportsfan wrote:
Kampman74 wrote:
A month and more for a thumb? He is the laughing stock in MN right now. I have not heard the end of it all day. "What did he do break a nail?" Mad Mad Mad

After signing the very definition of mental midget out of sheer desperation, Minnesota fans should just not say anything. Enjoy that journey to 8-8 at best and destroying any chance at a great draft pick though!

Would they same the same if their stud young left tackle broke a bone in his foot and could not go for a month? Taking the hands away from a pass rusher would very much so be the same as taking the feet away from a tackle.

Just sayin!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde
McCarthy on 3-4 week timeline for Clay Matthews: "That's what I was told yesterday when I had a chance to sit down with Pat (McKenzie)."
SplashDive

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atari-XXX wrote:
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde
McCarthy on 3-4 week timeline for Clay Matthews: "That's what I was told yesterday when I had a chance to sit down with Pat (McKenzie)."

Hopefully we can get him back for the Bears but I would rather have a 100% Clay when he does come back.

Props to Jamison. for the sick sig!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: