Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions postgame: back in the win column
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Most outstanding player for this game?
Rodgers
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Lacy
12%
 12%  [ 7 ]
Nelson
17%
 17%  [ 10 ]
Crosby
36%
 36%  [ 21 ]
Jones
12%
 12%  [ 7 ]
Perry
15%
 15%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 57

ArodFanboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if it's been talked about yet, but we really should start running more plays that get the ball out quicker. Jones, Nelson and Cobb are all very good after the catch and we're trying to throw it down the field way too often at this point. With the way our running game seems to be coming along, we could really slow down the pass rush using both. This will set things up for success down the field later on. Right now the team isn't taking what defenses are giving them consistently and that's where the rhythm problems stem from in my opinion.
bkobow05

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArodFanboy wrote:
Not sure if it's been talked about yet, but we really should start running more plays that get the ball out quicker. Jones, Nelson and Cobb are all very good after the catch and we're trying to throw it down the field way too often at this point. With the way our running game seems to be coming along, we could really slow down the pass rush using both. This will set things up for success down the field later on. Right now the team isn't taking what defenses are giving them consistently and that's where the rhythm problems stem from in my opinion.
Agreed 100%.

I'd like to see more slant or drag routes incorporated. When we went short against Washington, the WRs destroyed them. Why shy away from that? Let one option go deep and have two or three other options underneath.

#JDI
#EmbraceTheH8
GreenGold12

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkobow05 wrote:
ArodFanboy wrote:
Agreed 100%.

I'd like to see more slant or drag routes incorporated. When we went short against Washington, the WRs destroyed them. Why shy away from that? Let one option go deep and have two or three other options underneath.

We went deep because they were just mauling our wide receivers with the press. McCarthy and Rodgers are all about taking what they give us; assuming we can do it all (which we can, when everyone is performing). If they're going to play us up close like that then we just need to connect on a couple of the passes we missed yesterday. Other teams will play us off and try to prevent the deep plays, and then we'll cut them up with short stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenGold12 wrote:
bkobow05 wrote:
ArodFanboy wrote:
Agreed 100%.

We went deep because they were just mauling our wide receivers with the press. McCarthy and Rodgers are all about taking what they give us; assuming we can do it all (which we can, when everyone is performing). If they're going to play us up close like that then we just need to connect on a couple of the passes we missed yesterday. Other teams will play us off and try to prevent the deep plays, and then we'll cut them up with short stuff.

Their safeties did exactly what most teams we played last year did. Played deep. Detroit did use alot of press coverage, but it's clear they didn't want the big play to break them in this game.
GreenGold12

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArodFanboy wrote:
GreenGold12 wrote:
bkobow05 wrote:
ArodFanboy wrote:
Agreed 100%.

Their safeties did exactly what most teams we played last year did. Played deep. Detroit did use alot of press coverage, but it's clear they didn't want the big play to break them in this game.

I think as long as Aaron Rodgers is our quarterback, teams are going to have a two deep gameplan for us at least 90% of the time. Last time I remember someone trying to do something different was Houston last year.. and, yeah. Just meant that they were playing our receivers incredibly physically at the line, playing plenty handsy on the short stuff and doing a very good job of wrapping up on the short stuff. Honestly, watching the short stuff we tried, and further watching the other games Detroit has played this season, they've generally done a pretty impressive job of limiting YAC. I think that was not lost on McCarthy and Rodgers. Only problem was we also clearly were trying to get the ball out quick to neutralize their d-line on pass plays. Think we'll see lots of what we saw in Washington again later this year.

Only thing I can't explain is the lack of Finley down the seam with our new run threat. Or, really, just the lack of playaction in general. I get the deep heaves, but why not fake it to Lacy first? The threat is finally real, let's capitalize. Especially curious because it was pretty obvious in the Cincy game that our gameplan was extremely Finley heavy; seemed a little lost after his concussion. Hope that becomes a bigger part of our new identity moving forward.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else looking at the rest of the schedule and feeling really good? I knew we had a chance to start this season slow and figured on a 2-2 record, with an outside of a 1-3. Never thought we'd be 4-0 or 3-1 because of how young we are, our injuries, and how dependent we are on the rookies.

But looking at the rest here, and after this game I feel really hyped that we could end up with a very solid record. Still a bit worried about ChiTown, but...
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunderhead wrote:
Anyone else looking at the rest of the schedule and feeling really good? I knew we had a chance to start this season slow and figured on a 2-2 record, with an outside of a 1-3. Never thought we'd be 4-0 or 3-1 because of how young we are, our injuries, and how dependent we are on the rookies.

But looking at the rest here, and after this game I feel really hyped that we could end up with a very solid record. Still a bit worried about ChiTown, but...

Should be favored to win every game after this weekend until at least Thanksgiving as long as Rodgers is healthy. I am not concerned with the Bears either. The defensive gameplan they used against the Lions will look very similar when they play da Bears.

Only game I myself would call a toss up after this next weekend should be the final game at Chicago. Who know if the Pack will even need to play a starter that game. Laughing
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is proving to be a difficult transition to the run/pass split and it has slowed down the offense to this point in the season. I expect to see weekly improvement in play calling balance and execution. I also hope the young tackles can progress and not regress. It is still hard to predict where this team is headed but I think it will be a good place in time.
Revel8

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe how bad the refs were in this game. When will we get competent refs again?

Several drives were stalled on both sides because the refs simply weren't enforcing the rules.

There was a massive amount of holding going on by the OLines that wasn't called and the Lions secondary was getting away with murder out there.

That being said, good game plan all around on offense and defense. The ball control offense worked and only stalled towards the red zone. Some of which was on the refs. I expect the other times will be ironed out with time; this offense is simply too good not to.

- The starting defense was a bit better than last game and I mean that literally. The starting D actually had a good game against Cinci too.

- The Pass rush (5 sacks) was outstanding against an OLine that had only given up only 3 sacks the entire season

- 6 of the Lions' points were garbage points in garbage time

- Crosby was great

- Perry might have earned more chances against opposing LTs after this game

- Neal is coming back to the form he was showing before his first major injury as a rookie. This time as an OLB too.
p
- Special teams needs to get its act together; it's holding the offense back with bad field position. You can't expect a high amount of ~90 yard TD drives in this league; even with someone as good as Rodgers at the helm

- The 2nd TD pass to Jones was a thing of beauty by Rodgers; too bad Jones stepped out

- Cobb again showed why he was a good replacement for Jennings

- Throw a ball anywhere near the sideline? Noroblem, Jordy Nelson will catch it

- Burnett was an upgrade even though he was a tad rusty (as one would expect). Good tip by Burnett to save the TD

- Lacy looked good, but seemed at times to be a tad more 'careful' running the ball than he was before the concussion. Not that it made a huge impact, but this should subside as time goes by.

- The offensive line is turning into a pretty sizable upgrade over last season in general

- Rodgers was great, as usual, and had at least 2 TD passes taken from him.

- Too bad the Packers continued to score after the 10 point mark. If they had put on the breaks instead and won 12-9, then their close game record would have been better.... [/sarcasm]
spilltray

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know conventional wisdom is to keep a guy like Matthews on the right side of the defense, but Perry looked pretty good there. I remember the season they played Matthews on the left, and he was quite disruptive in the face of the QB, along with generally being a huge mismatch to block vs every single RT in the league.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
squire12

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
I know conventional wisdom is to keep a guy like Matthews on the right side of the defense, but Perry looked pretty good there. I remember the season they played Matthews on the left, and he was quite disruptive in the face of the QB, along with generally being a huge mismatch to block vs every single RT in the league.

Agree. Matthews lined up at LOLB makes the line call and shift protection that way, if he does not rush, should free up others for 1 v 1 matchups. Perry looked like a different rusher from the ROLB spot. Seemed to be able to bend and get better leverage on the OT.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squire12 wrote:
spilltray wrote:

Agree. Matthews lined up at LOLB makes the line call and shift protection that way, if he does not rush, should free up others for 1 v 1 matchups. Perry looked like a different rusher from the ROLB spot. Seemed to be able to bend and get better leverage on the OT.
Disagree for simple reason. Some of Clay's current injury issues started because we played hm at LOLB when he wasn't built to take the beating over there.
Mattwaukee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobb needs to start running ALOT more under routes.
CentralFC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're ignoring the incredible transition we're witnessing. For the last four years, we've been a pass-dominant team with an insatiable desire to beat teams athletically. Our downfall has been chewing up clock, wearing opposing teams down, and setting up an effective play action.

What we're doing now is transitioning, finding our identity and establishing a run game that has long been dormant. Fifth in the league in yards per game is something none of us expected. To have this success this early on in the campaign is admirable and leaves me confident this offense will prosper by season's end. I could not care less if we only scored 22 points. What we did throughout the game on offense was impressive. We took what we wanted in both facets of the game, ground and air, and took another step closer to finding an identity that was inevitably lost when we took Eddie Lacy. That's not a bad thing either. One team can't survive for too long with the same focus, and that was evident in the last two years.

Part of the season is acclimating to the roster's strengths and weaknesses. That's why the outburst post-Cincinnati was so disgusting. This is the NFL, where each team is loaded with studs (save Jacksonville), and wins are hard as hell to come by. The first goal is to reach the playoffs. And 10 wins is usually that benchmark. Give McCarthy credit in balancing a run game with an explosive passing attack. Give Capers credit for nearly shutting out the Lions and destroying the Redskins, two offenses that have been praised throughout the last year for being explosive and transcending. And if you want to point to the 49ers or Bengals collapses as indictments of our lack of talent or coaching ability, consider the Cowboys and Broncos game last night. 51-48? Where was the defense? This is the new NFL that's tailored for the casual fan seeking explosive attacks and lots of points. It's a new era. Our defense has been a success, given the amount of adjustment needed without Burnett and Hayward.

I like the way this team looks. The defense can make stops when its back is up against the wall and the pass rush has been a positive, too. Offensively? Things can only get better. And that's scary to think of.
spilltray

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
Fifth in the league in yards per game is something none of us expected.

As nice as that is, 5.3 ypc, 2nd in the league might just be even harder to conceive.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: