Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jairus Byrd on the block
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faccda01

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Jairus Byrd on the block Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/06/report-bills-open-to-trading-jairus-byrd/

I say we make a move. What do you think it would take to give?

I say he's worth a 3rd rounder.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would entertain the idea, but ultimately think he's going to have a pricey tag on him.

Being that we need more help in the OL/WR spots, I have a hard time giving up an early pick for a secondary player when our front 7 has improved enough to mask a lot of issues with our secondary.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
I would entertain the idea, but ultimately think he's going to have a pricey tag on him.

Being that we need more help in the OL/WR spots, I have a hard time giving up an early pick for a secondary player when our front 7 has improved enough to mask a lot of issues with our secondary.

I don't think they can get too much for a rental-type player. He's good, but wants to be the highest paid S, or close to it. To be worth a 3rd, a team would have to re-sign him after this season. And at that price, he loses any value at all. Plus he hasn't played a snap this season yet.

I'd consider a 4th, but nothing more.
boondock

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelpanther wrote:
boondock wrote:

I don't think they can get too much for a rental-type player. He's good, but wants to be the highest paid S, or close to it. To be worth a 3rd, a team would have to re-sign him after this season. And at that price, he loses any value at all. Plus he hasn't played a snap this season yet.

If a team trades for him, it will be conditional on them signing him to a long term deal. It's rare that franchised players are traded for this very reason.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only if its a trade and sign, but i like robert lester a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
steelpanther wrote:
boondock wrote:

If a team trades for him, it will be conditional on them signing him to a long term deal. It's rare that franchised players are traded for this very reason.

That's why he's a rental. Signing him long-term would be a mistake to begin with. Much less giving up a draft pick to do it. Plus, he's still owed about 4-5M for this year even as a rental.

Dashon Golson got 5 years/40M(22M guaranteed). He wants more than that. No way he would agree to any sort of extension unless someone foolishly decided to give him what he wants.
boondock

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelpanther wrote:
boondock wrote:
steelpanther wrote:
boondock wrote:

That's why he's a rental. Signing him long-term would be a mistake to begin with. Much less giving up a draft pick to do it. Plus, he's still owed about 4-5M for this year even as a rental.

Dashon Golson got 5 years/40M(22M guaranteed). He wants more than that. No way he would agree to any sort of extension unless someone foolishly decided to give him what he wants.

He won't be a rental though, if a team is going to shell out the draft pick for him; they will shell out the cash to keep him past this year and make that conditional on the trade being executed.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
steelpanther wrote:
boondock wrote:
steelpanther wrote:
boondock wrote:

He won't be a rental though, if a team is going to shell out the draft pick for him; they will shell out the cash to keep him past this year and make that conditional on the trade being executed.

He is a rental because the Bills can't make him sign something before the trade is executed. Best they can do is put conditions on the pick, like it goes up one round if he is on the other teams roster on opening day. That's it. The team that trades for him will have to work out a deal on their own. There is no "sign and trade" in the NFL. All your getting by trading for him is the rest of the season, and the opportunity to discuss an extension until then.

Which all goes back to my original point. He won't be "pricey" in his situation. And shouldn't be.
boondock

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelpanther wrote:
boondock wrote:
steelpanther wrote:
boondock wrote:
steelpanther wrote:
boondock wrote:

He is a rental because the Bills can't make him sign something before the trade is executed. Best they can do is put conditions on the pick, like it goes up one round if he is on the other teams roster on opening day. That's it. The team that trades for him will have to work out a deal on their own. There is no "sign and trade" in the NFL. All your getting by trading for him is the rest of the season, and the opportunity to discuss an extension until then.

Which all goes back to my original point. He won't be "pricey" in his situation. And shouldn't be.

I'm not suggesting a sign and trade. I'm saying that the team giving up the picks, the destination for Byrd, will make the trade conditional on them working out a long term deal with Byrd before the trade is fully executed. The destination team will have an contracted agreed to in principal with Byrd, make the trade, then Byrd signs on the dotted line.

Why in the world would a team give up a 2nd round pick for a guy they might have through the end of the season? If a team gives up something for Byrd, they will want him through the next 4-5 years. This happened with the Darrel Revis trade; the Bucs worked out a long term contract with Revis before the trade was fully executed. I'm suggesting the same thing for Byrd.

The only time a team gives up a conditional pick is if there is risk associated with the player being received; for instance, he's been injured, character concerns, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
steelpanther wrote:
boondock wrote:
steelpanther wrote:
boondock wrote:
steelpanther wrote:
boondock wrote:

I'm not suggesting a sign and trade. I'm saying that the team giving up the picks, the destination for Byrd, will make the trade conditional on them working out a long term deal with Byrd before the trade is fully executed. The destination team will have an contracted agreed to in principal with Byrd, make the trade, then Byrd signs on the dotted line.

Why in the world would a team give up a 2nd round pick for a guy they might have through the end of the season? If a team gives up something for Byrd, they will want him through the next 4-5 years. This happened with the Darrel Revis trade; the Bucs worked out a long term contract with Revis before the trade was fully executed. I'm suggesting the same thing for Byrd.

The only time a team gives up a conditional pick is if there is risk associated with the player being received; for instance, he's been injured, character concerns, etc.

Exactly to the bolded. But why would a team give up a 2nd-3rd for the right to over-pay for a S. I'm only speaking of Byrd and his situation. Not Revis, who signed a series of one-year contracts with no guaranteed money. If TB doesn't think he's worth around 15M next year, they can cut him with no cap penalty. Byrd is gonna take 20-25M in just guaranteed money, plus base salary. That's why TB gave up a 1st for his rights. He agreed to a deal that they could get away from. Byrd flat out won't unless a team over-pays him. My discussion is solely focused on Byrd, not what any other player did. With his demands to be the top paid S, teams are gonna shy away.

And conditional picks can be assigned for almost any reason. For example, the Bengals 2nd rounder this year would have become a 1st if the Raiders had made the AFCCG( Laughing Laughing ) with Carson Palmer. And the Cards get an extra 7th from the Raiders next year if Palmer starts 13 games this year.

No big deal. It's just my opinion that Byrd isn't worth the trouble(especially for us with other bigger isues, as you stated). But, like the draft, it only takes one team to really like him. We've all seen worse, as with the aforementioned Carson Palmer.
HighPointNCKid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the better question is why in the world would he WANT to play here? Our players don't even want to! Its evident against the Cards today! DISGUSTED
faccda01

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighPointNCKid wrote:
the better question is why in the world would he WANT to play here? Our players don't even want to! Its evident against the Cards today! DISGUSTED

Now that's a good point.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Too expensive" The typical FA saying when one Panther fan wants to sign a big name player...
HighPointNCKid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toughguy77 wrote:
"Too expensive" The typical FA saying when one Panther fan wants to sign a big name player...

every time! However, to be fair, Byrd is on record saying he wants to be the highest paid safety, we have MANY other pressing needs. Like an o line, some wide rceivers and cornerbacks etc.....my hand is cramping up, cant go on!!!
faccda01

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighPointNCKid wrote:
Toughguy77 wrote:

every time! However, to be fair, Byrd is on record saying he wants to be the highest paid safety, we have MANY other pressing needs. Like an o line, some wide rceivers and cornerbacks etc.....my hand is cramping up, cant go on!!!

Hopefully when we are fully out of Hurney hell we will be able to afford some of these guys without worrying. We need some type of big FA signing to get out of this rut. That's what happened when we signed Stephen Davis and a few other big name FAs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: