Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texan Trade Rumor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
canyon1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Texan Trade Rumor Reply with quote

Just heard from a reliable source that the Texans are considering doing a trade with the San Diego chargers. Trade would involve us getting Phillip Rivers. Now we are not sure what we would give up to get him, but this is being talked about with the higher ups of the Texan Organization... There is ZERO link to back this up but I will tell you this. The man is my Co-worker brother in-law and he works for the team. This man just gave my buddy the bloody JJ Watt jersey when he busted his nose open. He has all these signed game worn jerseys for free and once Demco Ryans got traded he gave me the battle red one as a gift. Maybe nothing will come of this, but it is something worth discussing if it is true.
MLB: Tigers
NHL: Red Wings
NCAAB: Michigan
NCAAF: Michigan
kenney

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Texan Trade Rumor Reply with quote

canyon1 wrote:
Just heard from a reliable source that the Texans are considering doing a trade with the San Diego chargers. Trade would involve us getting Phillip Rivers. Now we are not sure what we would give up to get him, but this is being talked about with the higher ups of the Texan Organization... There is ZERO link to back this up but I will tell you this. The man is my Co-worker brother in-law and he works for the team. This man just gave my buddy the bloody JJ Watt jersey when he busted his nose open. He has all these signed game worn jerseys for free and once Demco Ryans got traded he gave me the battle red one as a gift. Maybe nothing will come of this, but it is something worth discussing if it is true.

I love Philip Rivers. This would make me happy on a personal level because a guy who plays in my main fantasy league is also a Texans fan, but he and I have gotten into HEATED arguments about whether Rivers is an elite QB.

Rivers' worst two years as a pro (the past two) are comparable to the best seasons Schaub, Eli, or Flacco have ever put together. Rivers is a great, savvy, fiery QB.

The issue, obviously, becomes compensation. Houston would be idiotic to trade a 1st round pick for an over-30 QB and San Diego would be equally idiotic to accept anything less for a QB of Rivers' talent.

I have my doubts about how this trade could even happen, supposing this rumor has any legs. I still maintain that Kirk Cousins is probably Houston's QB of the future. I posted elsewhere here that a three-way trade between Cleveland, Washington, and Houston makes sense, whereby Houston receives Cousins, Cleveland receives Tate, and Washington receives Cleveland's 2nd Round pick in 2014.
mse326

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Texan Trade Rumor Reply with quote

canyon1 wrote:

We don't do this trade and keep Schaub. I doubt it would even be possible under the salary cap. So Schaub would have to be involved in the trade.

Rivers may have elite skill, but he's come up short in some big situations as well.

So my guess is if it happened it would be Rivers for Schaub +a 3rd or 4th maybe some other low round picks on either side. But I don't see and 1st or 2nd round picks being involved unless the Chargers are throwing in more (e.g. Rivers + 3rd for Schaub and a 2nd).

#JDI
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed with Mse326, we have to trade Schaub in that situation. I wouldnt mind it if we got Rivers. He has had an excellent season so far under Mike McCoy and he has done it with a bad receiving core. If we did something like Schaub and a 3rd and a conditional late round pick for Rivers like Mse said, then I would do that in a heartbeat if Im Rick Smith.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked it out on spotrac

Chargers would eat $11.3M in dead money; Rivers' cap hit is $13.7M

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-diego-chargers/philip-rivers/

Texans would eat $21.2M in dead money Shocked; Schaubby's cap hit is $10.75M

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/matt-schaub/

They may be discussing it, but I don't think it would happen this season - UNLESS we lose to Niners and it's because Schaubby doesn't play well + McNair hits the Powerball tonight Wink
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have 2 teams ever traded their starting QB's midseason? I like Rivers and would be all for this trade but I find this highly unlikely. Smithiak and Co. are probably just be throwing around ideas, or thinking out loud.
kidnextdoor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this is going to happen, but I would not mind if it did. Is there any way that we could trade Kubiak for McCoy?
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, no way we get rid of Schuab
Carrer marks:
992 catches 13,381 yards 63 TDs
Grasspike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would absolutely love to trade Schaub for Philip Rivers. I'm probably the biggest Schaub fan on this forum, but I'd still take Rivers any day of the week.

That said, we all remember the last time a rumor like this was spread on this forum, don't we?

Sig by matthouston91
jch1911

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
Checked it out on spotrac

Chargers would eat $11.3M in dead money; Rivers' cap hit is $13.7M

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-diego-chargers/philip-rivers/

Texans would eat $21.2M in dead money Shocked; Schaubby's cap hit is $10.75M

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/matt-schaub/

They may be discussing it, but I don't think it would happen this season - UNLESS we lose to Niners and it's because Schaubby doesn't play well + McNair hits the Powerball tonight Wink

Did McNair hit the lottery or not??? LMAO....
ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chargers would be idiots to do it
canyon1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same guy posted another rumor being discussed that the Texans are talking to the Eagles on seeing what it would take to aquire Nick Foles ... Just rumored and if any of this is true at least they are trying to fix some of the issues that they currently have. Take this for what its worth
MLB: Tigers
NHL: Red Wings
NCAAB: Michigan
NCAAF: Michigan
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canyon1 wrote:
Same guy posted another rumor being discussed that the Texans are talking to the Eagles on seeing what it would take to aquire Nick Foles ... Just rumored and if any of this is true at least they are trying to fix some of the issues that they currently have. Take this for what its worth

i dont think foles would be better than Yates, not this season. He is a better QB, but it takes time for a QB to learn our system thats why we had to start Yates as a rookie instead of a vet like Delhome
Carrer marks:
992 catches 13,381 yards 63 TDs
Marco79

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canyon1 wrote:

I would be more inclined to believe this rumor if it was Kirk Cousins because the eagles need Foles right now.

It will also be interesting to see what Schaub's injury is. If he is out for the year, do the texans try and make a trade for a young backup?
dsorc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco79 wrote:

I would be more inclined to believe this rumor if it was Kirk Cousins because the eagles need Foles right now.

It will also be interesting to see what Schaub's injury is. If he is out for the year, do the texans try and make a trade for a young backup?

Honestly, I would be more worried in that case of the injury being used as the excuse for Kubes failure. At this point, we should just go through all the internal options and see if there's anything worth keeping first.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: