Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Early Prospect Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tehzl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkebones wrote:
ESKY008 wrote:
bballbkd1001 wrote:
Ya we are grabbing clowney if he's there.

I think his floor is a julius peppers type caliber. He's the best college recruit since lavar arrington

He might want to pick his game up. He has been average at best this year. I think Clowney has to concentrate on football and the rest will fall into place. Simple.

^This. Talent or not, the fact that it seems like he's NOT playing up to his potential is problematic. Secondly, if he IS playing full-bore, then the fact that he isn't excelling against double teams doesn't enthuse me either. top players should be able to prove that they can be impactful even against odds. Guys like Suh and Von Miller come to mind who dominated even with offensive game plans geared to focus on them...

#jakemathews Cool

To be fair to Clowney, he is going through some injuries right now. Even though he had only 1 tackle in his last game vs Arkansas, he was a very disruptive force. I believe 95% of the game he was double teamed, the other 4% he was either triple teamed or the few one on ones(like 3). It also doesn't help that throughout the whole game I think only 2-4 plays came his direction. I suggest you guys watch the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtpyvSExEqU

From that game alone, I'll admit he definitely is special, especially considering he is not 100%, and I like that most of the time he is always around the ball. He even ran over his own teammate at 1:33:00. lol. One of the cons about his play that I see though is that he can play too aggressive, pushing him out of the play.
Tehzl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GmenSeattle wrote:
Tehzl wrote:
GmenSeattle wrote:
Tehzl wrote:
Ohh fun fun mock drafts. I'll give it a shot. I won't use the Cleveland trade because frankly I don't find that believable. I think the draft order would go something like:
1. Jaguars(1-15)-QB
2. Vikings(2-14)-QB-- I just looked at their schedule and holy [inappropriate/removed] they probably wont win another game this year.
3. Bucs(2-14)-QB
4. Giants(5-11)-?
5. Browns(6-10)-QB

The quarterbacks drafted would probably be Teddy Bridgewater, Marcus Mariota, Brett Hundley, and Tajh Boyd.

So instead we trade with a team lets say... the Raiders, or the Steelers so they can get Clowney, unless the Texans want a QB too. Either way we get a later 1st round pick, a 2nd, and maybe 2015 pick.

We also gain back our late pick we used on Beason from comp. pick.

We draft:

1. Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
2. Ryan Shazier, OLB, Ohio State
2. Marcus Roberson, CB, Florida
3. Kareem Martin, DE, UNC
4. Spencer Long, OG, Nebraska
5. Cody Hoffman, WR, Baylor
6. Michael Dyer, RB, Louisville
7. Jordan Najvar, TE, Baylor

How'd I do? Very Happy

Trading away the rights to draft Clowny will never happen.

Why do you think that?

The entire organization is built with the mindset of the games are won with elite lines, especially on defense. Also our GM (says that he) picks best player available. The best player in the draft is a DE. If we had the chance to draft him we are not passing on it. Ever. Razz

Can't really argue with that.. So if we did draft Clowney. Who plays RE, and who plays LE? I'm guessing it would be something like:

JPP-Joseph-Hankins-Clowney
with Moore being 3rd DE.
minutemancl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't we already figured out Clowney is purposely taking it easy this year so he doesn't cost himself millions with an injury the year before he goes into the draft?

Let me give you my personal opinion, on what I think has happened.
It all started with the release of the coke machine in Brandon Jacobs.
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkebones wrote:
ESKY008 wrote:
bballbkd1001 wrote:

I think his floor is a julius peppers type caliber. He's the best college recruit since lavar arrington

He might want to pick his game up. He has been average at best this year. I think Clowney has to concentrate on football and the rest will fall into place. Simple.

^This. Talent or not, the fact that it seems like he's NOT playing up to his potential is problematic. Secondly, if he IS playing full-bore, then the fact that he isn't excelling against double teams doesn't enthuse me either. top players should be able to prove that they can be impactful even against odds. Guys like Suh and Von Miller come to mind who dominated even with offensive game plans geared to focus on them...

#jakemathews Cool

Teams plan JUST for him, he's also been disruptive when he plays. Keiper did a story on all this about how just because he hasn't been racking up the numbers doesn't mean he's not making an impact and it doesn't make him any less valuable. Still the best talent in the draft by a wide margin.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GmenSeattle wrote:
dkebones wrote:
ESKY008 wrote:
bballbkd1001 wrote:

#jakemathews Cool

Teams plan JUST for him, he's also been disruptive when he plays. Keiper did a story on all this about how just because he hasn't been racking up the numbers doesn't mean he's not making an impact and it doesn't make him any less valuable. Still the best talent in the draft by a wide margin.

Watching their games, some teams only ran plays to the right side, completely ignoring their left, as Clowney plays RE. It's like an elite CB putting up low "numbers" because teams don't throw the ball against him.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fracdaddy14 wrote:
GmenSeattle wrote:
dkebones wrote:
ESKY008 wrote:
bballbkd1001 wrote:

#jakemathews Cool

Watching their games, some teams only ran plays to the right side, completely ignoring their left, as Clowney plays RE. It's like an elite CB putting up low "numbers" because teams don't throw the ball against him.

that's fine re the run game, but what about the lack of impact in the passing game? even if he's tripled, SC has a good enough defense to get to the QB, but they have only 14 total sacks on the year (two of which, i believe are Clowney).

listen, i'm not trying to say the talent isn't there or that he isn't worth the pick, but it scares the hell out of me to think about using a top-5 pick on someone who may be "dogging" it due to money concerns (it's scary enough paying a proven vet big money to have him go dog it, let alone a top-5 pick), and if we take last year's signings as a proxy, the top-5's averaged $5M/yr over their contracts. if you have $20M guaranteed, how do we know he doesn't go the way of Jamarcus Russell... ?

again, that may be dramatic, but often enough in these situations where there is smoke there's fire. and i'm purposefully trying to be a bit overbearing for the sake of shaking out all the what-ifs for the discussion.
Very Happy
bballbkd1001

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One on one with tiny richardson, clowney had 2 and 1/2 tackles for loss in the first half.

^^^ Huge props Rase on the Sig!
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bballbkd1001 wrote:
One on one with tiny richardson, clowney had 2 and 1/2 tackles for loss in the first half.

Yea...this happened Very Happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNp7RKOXAYk&list=TLt1FF-S3RRoRjqHfQsg8LCiEDie17vkZO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we switch to a 3-4, I want Barr soooooooooooo bad. Dude is going to be an absolute monster. Have heard great things about his character as well which is huge.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minutemancl wrote:
Haven't we already figured out Clowney is purposely taking it easy this year so he doesn't cost himself millions with an injury the year before he goes into the draft?

I think most of us have, but the guys at ESPN want us to think that he has a work ethic problem and is trouble in the locker room.

They hyped him up as the greatest player ever and the Heisman winner without a doubt. Before the season started it was obvious he was not going to produce the results they predicted.

Right now Clowney is thinking about staying healthy and not injuring himself so severely that he loses his chance at being successful. He's thinking about his great grandchildren's future and football is his only option.

We the North
dkebones

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen4ev wrote:
minutemancl wrote:

I think most of us have, but the guys at ESPN want us to think that he has a work ethic problem and is trouble in the locker room.

They hyped him up as the greatest player ever and the Heisman winner without a doubt. Before the season started it was obvious he was not going to produce the results they predicted.

Right now Clowney is thinking about staying healthy and not injuring himself so severely that he loses his chance at being successful. He's thinking about his great grandchildren's future and football is his only option.

i would think the $5m insurance policy he has on himself would alleviate that concern.
Tehzl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now that our team is doing better I think that Clowney will soon be out of the question for us.

Quote:
If we switch to a 3-4, I want Barr soooooooooooo bad. Dude is going to be an absolute monster. Have heard great things about his character as well which is huge.

At this point I think our defense is kind of leaning on the side of hybrid, or it wouldn't be much trouble to switch to a 4-3 under, etc. like the Seahawks, so we can still get Barr, and at this point it seems more likely than Clowney.
Rase

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timmy Jernigan at pick 14... I can just feel it

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rase wrote:

Isn't he projected to be a second round pick?

I'd think with a pick around that area you would want Louis Nix if you're looking for a DT, or CJ Mosely.
Rase

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tehzl wrote:
Rase wrote:

Isn't he projected to be a second round pick?

I'd think with a pick around that area you would want Louis Nix if you're looking for a DT, or CJ Mosely.

I can see him moving up to the late first round grade, and the Giants reaching a bit to pick him because Nix won't be there, and Austin will be gone.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: