Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Early Prospect Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
fracdaddy14


Joined: 23 Feb 2012
Posts: 3346
Location: Northeastern PA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the possible long-term effects of Wilson's injury, it would make a lot of sense to go RB in Round 2-3. I'd actually prefer Stankey or possibly Charles Sims than a Seastrunk type. RBs who are solid and experienced in pass protection get on the field earlier in the NFL careers because they have the HC's trust.

With the Cleveland deal, we could go

1- Taylor Lewan-OT- Michigan
1- Kyle Van Noy- LB- BYU
2- Kyle Fuller- CB- Va Tech
3- Za'Darius Smith- DE- Kentucky
3- Bishop Stankey- RB- Washington
4- Arthur Lynch- TE- Georgia


Plus, we'll likely have a 2nd 4th Round pick under the compensatory picks for crappy teams too.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ESKY008


Joined: 20 Nov 2007
Posts: 1239
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fracdaddy14 wrote:
With the possible long-term effects of Wilson's injury, it would make a lot of sense to go RB in Round 2-3. I'd actually prefer Stankey or possibly Charles Sims than a Seastrunk type. RBs who are solid and experienced in pass protection get on the field earlier in the NFL careers because they have the HC's trust.

With the Cleveland deal, we could go

1- Taylor Lewan-OT- Michigan
1- Kyle Van Noy- LB- BYU
2- Kyle Fuller- CB- Va Tech
3- Za'Darius Smith- DE- Kentucky
3- Bishop Stankey- RB- Washington
4- Arthur Lynch- TE- Georgia


Plus, we'll likely have a 2nd 4th Round pick under the compensatory picks for crappy teams too.


I'd say we would get one for osi as well. 6-7th
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gmen


Joined: 20 Jul 2007
Posts: 15662
Location: Myyyyy precioussss
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how I feel about a player with the last name Stankey
_________________


"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GEE MEN


Joined: 16 Mar 2007
Posts: 4097
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bballbkd1001 wrote:
This is the deepest draft we've seen in years. Clowney and barr will be superstars on the defensive side... one of the best tackles in recent years in matthews (there's beem good ones as well but matthews is a mauler) and probably 5-6 quarterbacks that'll get taken in the first round.

If somehow we end up with the first overall pick, we need to trade back and take someones house. Preferably cleveland with two first round picks this year. Bridgewater is getting more hype than rgIII ( st louis traded the second overall pick to washington for 3 first rounders and a second rounder)


I like the idea of drafting Matthews, move Beatty to RT and Pugh to RG, along with Gmen's idea of Mack and Pettigrew. Booth can remain at LG.

Maybe Coughlin rings up Weis and Crennel back to big blue to shore up offense and defense.
_________________


Desperado82 wrote:
I will never defend Romo again. I'm done. We may only have a shot at the playoffs or what have you because of him, but he will NEVER put us over the hump.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bballbkd1001


Joined: 04 Feb 2009
Posts: 3961
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkebones wrote:
bballbkd1001 wrote:
This is the deepest draft we've seen in years. Clowney and barr will be superstars on the defensive side... one of the best tackles in recent years in matthews (there's beem good ones as well but matthews is a mauler) and probably 5-6 quarterbacks that'll get taken in the first round.

If somehow we end up with the first overall pick, we need to trade back and take someones house. Preferably cleveland with two first round picks this year. Bridgewater is getting more hype than rgIII ( st louis traded the second overall pick to washington for 3 first rounders and a second rounder)


the challenge is, as we've seen in the past few drafts, that team's really fear the "trade the house" mentality, especially if there is going to be (as you mention) 5+ qbs. trading multiple 1st/2nd round picks has the ability to RUIN your organization for a long time, and/or puts that much more of an onus on getting your late round picks right. Shanahan has a history of hitting on later round draft picks. not sure how many GMs might have the same level of confidence...


But many gms can also say "do I want an rg3/luck type quarterback or do I want a gabbert/cassell/sanchez type qb. That's the dofference betweem pick 1, 2, 3 and pick 8-12
_________________


^^^ Huge props Rase on the Sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dkebones


Joined: 15 Mar 2007
Posts: 3667
Location: Giants fan in the Seahawk's backyard...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bballbkd1001 wrote:
dkebones wrote:
bballbkd1001 wrote:
This is the deepest draft we've seen in years. Clowney and barr will be superstars on the defensive side... one of the best tackles in recent years in matthews (there's beem good ones as well but matthews is a mauler) and probably 5-6 quarterbacks that'll get taken in the first round.

If somehow we end up with the first overall pick, we need to trade back and take someones house. Preferably cleveland with two first round picks this year. Bridgewater is getting more hype than rgIII ( st louis traded the second overall pick to washington for 3 first rounders and a second rounder)


the challenge is, as we've seen in the past few drafts, that team's really fear the "trade the house" mentality, especially if there is going to be (as you mention) 5+ qbs. trading multiple 1st/2nd round picks has the ability to RUIN your organization for a long time, and/or puts that much more of an onus on getting your late round picks right. Shanahan has a history of hitting on later round draft picks. not sure how many GMs might have the same level of confidence...


But many gms can also say "do I want an rg3/luck type quarterback or do I want a gabbert/cassell/sanchez type qb. That's the dofference betweem pick 1, 2, 3 and pick 8-12


fair point. but every GM is going to "think" they know the guy best for their job, right? if i'm at 8, i'd surely love to have an rg3/luck player. but i'm also at 8 for a reason. so do i sell the farm to get him knowing that i now have 3+ less picks to make the team better? or trust my scouting and go with the guy that "falls" to me at 8? Gabbert never should've been taken in the first round, but look at the organization that took him! Sanchez is a bit of a different story because I think its arguable that the Jets mishandled him (arguable, I said, not probable). Cassel was a 7th round pick so not sure why he's in the convo, but as the type/quality of QB i get the point.

i obviously don't make the big bucks running an organization, but "can't miss" or not, i'd be scared as hell of putting my job on the shoulders of one single, unproven player without a cast of characters around him.

don't think there's a right answer, but interesting to discuss the behavioral aspects of the draft minds. Smile
_________________
“I feel sorry for people who don’t drink. They wake up in the morning and that’s the best they’re going to feel all day.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tehzl


Joined: 11 Apr 2012
Posts: 149
Location: ATL
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh fun fun mock drafts. I'll give it a shot. I won't use the Cleveland trade because frankly I don't find that believable. I think the draft order would go something like:
1. Jaguars(1-15)-QB
2. Vikings(2-14)-QB-- I just looked at their schedule and holy [inappropriate/removed] they probably wont win another game this year.
3. Bucs(2-14)-QB
4. Giants(5-11)-?
5. Browns(6-10)-QB

The quarterbacks drafted would probably be Teddy Bridgewater, Marcus Mariota, Brett Hundley, and Tajh Boyd.

So instead we trade with a team lets say... the Raiders, or the Steelers so they can get Clowney, unless the Texans want a QB too. Either way we get a later 1st round pick, a 2nd, and maybe 2015 pick.

We also gain back our late pick we used on Beason from comp. pick.

We draft:

1. Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
2. Ryan Shazier, OLB, Ohio State
2. Marcus Roberson, CB, Florida
3. Kareem Martin, DE, UNC
4. Spencer Long, OG, Nebraska
5. Cody Hoffman, WR, Baylor
6. Michael Dyer, RB, Louisville
7. Jordan Najvar, TE, Baylor

How'd I do? Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GmenSeattle


Moderator
Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 10099
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man...I think we'll end up 4-12 at best looking at our schedule. But the way Philly and Washington are improving we may not win any games against them either. So...Minny and Oakland could be our only wins. If...we get them. Man. Sad.

That said I agree that Minny may not win another game this year...Not sure who Tampa is going to beat either or...Jacksonville. Cleveland I can see getting to 4-5 wins. I can see most (if not all) of the 3-3 teams getting 5+ wins.

Man there be some bad football teams.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GmenSeattle


Moderator
Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 10099
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tehzl wrote:
Ohh fun fun mock drafts. I'll give it a shot. I won't use the Cleveland trade because frankly I don't find that believable. I think the draft order would go something like:
1. Jaguars(1-15)-QB
2. Vikings(2-14)-QB-- I just looked at their schedule and holy [inappropriate/removed] they probably wont win another game this year.
3. Bucs(2-14)-QB
4. Giants(5-11)-?
5. Browns(6-10)-QB

The quarterbacks drafted would probably be Teddy Bridgewater, Marcus Mariota, Brett Hundley, and Tajh Boyd.

So instead we trade with a team lets say... the Raiders, or the Steelers so they can get Clowney, unless the Texans want a QB too. Either way we get a later 1st round pick, a 2nd, and maybe 2015 pick.

We also gain back our late pick we used on Beason from comp. pick.

We draft:

1. Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
2. Ryan Shazier, OLB, Ohio State
2. Marcus Roberson, CB, Florida
3. Kareem Martin, DE, UNC
4. Spencer Long, OG, Nebraska
5. Cody Hoffman, WR, Baylor
6. Michael Dyer, RB, Louisville
7. Jordan Najvar, TE, Baylor

How'd I do? Very Happy


Trading away the rights to draft Clowny will never happen.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tehzl


Joined: 11 Apr 2012
Posts: 149
Location: ATL
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GmenSeattle wrote:
Tehzl wrote:
Ohh fun fun mock drafts. I'll give it a shot. I won't use the Cleveland trade because frankly I don't find that believable. I think the draft order would go something like:
1. Jaguars(1-15)-QB
2. Vikings(2-14)-QB-- I just looked at their schedule and holy [inappropriate/removed] they probably wont win another game this year.
3. Bucs(2-14)-QB
4. Giants(5-11)-?
5. Browns(6-10)-QB

The quarterbacks drafted would probably be Teddy Bridgewater, Marcus Mariota, Brett Hundley, and Tajh Boyd.

So instead we trade with a team lets say... the Raiders, or the Steelers so they can get Clowney, unless the Texans want a QB too. Either way we get a later 1st round pick, a 2nd, and maybe 2015 pick.

We also gain back our late pick we used on Beason from comp. pick.

We draft:

1. Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
2. Ryan Shazier, OLB, Ohio State
2. Marcus Roberson, CB, Florida
3. Kareem Martin, DE, UNC
4. Spencer Long, OG, Nebraska
5. Cody Hoffman, WR, Baylor
6. Michael Dyer, RB, Louisville
7. Jordan Najvar, TE, Baylor

How'd I do? Very Happy


Trading away the rights to draft Clowny will never happen.


Why do you think that?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GmenSeattle


Moderator
Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 10099
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tehzl wrote:
GmenSeattle wrote:
Tehzl wrote:
Ohh fun fun mock drafts. I'll give it a shot. I won't use the Cleveland trade because frankly I don't find that believable. I think the draft order would go something like:
1. Jaguars(1-15)-QB
2. Vikings(2-14)-QB-- I just looked at their schedule and holy [inappropriate/removed] they probably wont win another game this year.
3. Bucs(2-14)-QB
4. Giants(5-11)-?
5. Browns(6-10)-QB

The quarterbacks drafted would probably be Teddy Bridgewater, Marcus Mariota, Brett Hundley, and Tajh Boyd.

So instead we trade with a team lets say... the Raiders, or the Steelers so they can get Clowney, unless the Texans want a QB too. Either way we get a later 1st round pick, a 2nd, and maybe 2015 pick.

We also gain back our late pick we used on Beason from comp. pick.

We draft:

1. Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
2. Ryan Shazier, OLB, Ohio State
2. Marcus Roberson, CB, Florida
3. Kareem Martin, DE, UNC
4. Spencer Long, OG, Nebraska
5. Cody Hoffman, WR, Baylor
6. Michael Dyer, RB, Louisville
7. Jordan Najvar, TE, Baylor

How'd I do? Very Happy


Trading away the rights to draft Clowny will never happen.


Why do you think that?


The entire organization is built with the mindset of the games are won with elite lines, especially on defense. Also our GM (says that he) picks best player available. The best player in the draft is a DE. If we had the chance to draft him we are not passing on it. Ever. Razz
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jacobsrules


Joined: 20 Jan 2009
Posts: 2517
Location: somerset mas
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not against Lewin either. Another possibility is if he can be healthy Roger Saffold. Loved him coming outta college. If they do this right it wont take long to fix this at all.
_________________




A real LB Giant Pride
Thanks Shockey 1979
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
bballbkd1001


Joined: 04 Feb 2009
Posts: 3961
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya we are grabbing clowney if he's there.

I think his floor is a julius peppers type caliber. He's the best college recruit since lavar arrington
_________________


^^^ Huge props Rase on the Sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ESKY008


Joined: 20 Nov 2007
Posts: 1239
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bballbkd1001 wrote:
Ya we are grabbing clowney if he's there.

I think his floor is a julius peppers type caliber. He's the best college recruit since lavar arrington


He might want to pick his game up. He has been average at best this year. I think Clowney has to concentrate on football and the rest will fall into place. Simple.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dkebones


Joined: 15 Mar 2007
Posts: 3667
Location: Giants fan in the Seahawk's backyard...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESKY008 wrote:
bballbkd1001 wrote:
Ya we are grabbing clowney if he's there.

I think his floor is a julius peppers type caliber. He's the best college recruit since lavar arrington


He might want to pick his game up. He has been average at best this year. I think Clowney has to concentrate on football and the rest will fall into place. Simple.


^This. Talent or not, the fact that it seems like he's NOT playing up to his potential is problematic. Secondly, if he IS playing full-bore, then the fact that he isn't excelling against double teams doesn't enthuse me either. top players should be able to prove that they can be impactful even against odds. Guys like Suh and Von Miller come to mind who dominated even with offensive game plans geared to focus on them...

#jakemathews Cool
_________________
“I feel sorry for people who don’t drink. They wake up in the morning and that’s the best they’re going to feel all day.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group