Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jaguars trade OT Eugene Monroe to Baltimore
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 8682
Location: MD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be so huge if we could lock him down on a LT deal. One, this takes away the question of mortgaging a draft or two to move up for a good LT prospect this season. Two, as others have mentioned, it gives us far more leverage with Oher. We can play hardball with him a little more as a competent RT is much easier to find than a LT. Who knows, maybe the FO even sees Wagner over there.

Also, I'm not sure the entirety of it, but it seems McKinney had a $2M bonus and was slated to make about 2.7M next season (i think there were some other incentives in there, though), so there's at least 1.7M of workable money that would be pushed over to Monroe next season.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1210/bryant-mckinnie
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Nucky


Joined: 27 Dec 2011
Posts: 447
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

I dont know if we'll have enough money to sign both. Our cap situation will pretty much be the same as last year. We have to sign a above average LT, RT, and Pitta, and hopefully daryl smith. Tough task.
_________________
"Fellas, I can tolerate arrogance, conceit, greed but self-pity is the one thing that just chaps my a--. We've experienced difficulty, but I will not tolerate, nor be part of, anything resembling self-pity."- Brian Billick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12979
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote

Nucky wrote:
I dont know if we'll have enough money to sign both. Our cap situation will pretty much be the same as last year. We have to sign a above average LT, RT, and Pitta, and hopefully daryl smith. Tough task.

Some time this weekend I plan on crunching the numbers to see if its possible to sign all of those guys and what type of discounts we'd have to hope for in order to get it done.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mancunian Raven


Joined: 09 Oct 2012
Posts: 2180
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you consider that McKinnie will almost certainly be gone, and Leach, Jacoby Jones and Corey Graham will probably be gone, and some other players like Ed Dickson and Art Jones, who are on RFA tenders at the moment, I think the Ravens will have a little more to play with.

But they'll still need to re-sign Pitta, to sort something out for Torrey, and Joe's cap goes up a fair whack too, I think.

Oher's current cap is close to $5million, isn't it? So they could possibly even bring that down by extending his contract. If he doesn't get a new deal, then I think there will definitely be enough for Monroe, who has already hinted that he'd like to stay long term.

It's going to take some financial wizardy from Ozzie to get it done, but we know he's capable of it.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 8682
Location: MD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
When you consider that McKinnie will almost certainly be gone, and Leach, Jacoby Jones and Corey Graham will probably be gone, and some other players like Ed Dickson and Art Jones, who are on RFA tenders at the moment, I think the Ravens will have a little more to play with.

But they'll still need to re-sign Pitta, to sort something out for Torrey, and Joe's cap goes up a fair whack too, I think.

Oher's current cap is close to $5million, isn't it? So they could possibly even bring that down by extending his contract. If he doesn't get a new deal, then I think there will definitely be enough for Monroe, who has already hinted that he'd like to stay long term.

It's going to take some financial wizardy from Ozzie to get it done, but we know he's capable of it.


If we want flexibility we will probably have to restructure Suggs. I know we normally dont push money into future years, but I think this isnt really one of those situations. He'll be in the last season of his deal (the mortgaging the future style is generally with a few years left) and he certainly has some productive years left.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
coordinator0


Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 7343
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
When you consider that McKinnie will almost certainly be gone, and Leach, Jacoby Jones and Corey Graham will probably be gone, and some other players like Ed Dickson and Art Jones, who are on RFA tenders at the moment, I think the Ravens will have a little more to play with.

But they'll still need to re-sign Pitta, to sort something out for Torrey, and Joe's cap goes up a fair whack too, I think.

Oher's current cap is close to $5million, isn't it? So they could possibly even bring that down by extending his contract. If he doesn't get a new deal, then I think there will definitely be enough for Monroe, who has already hinted that he'd like to stay long term.

It's going to take some financial wizardy from Ozzie to get it done, but we know he's capable of it.


The following was before the Monroe trade but it doesn't really help Baltimore's situation:

coordinator0 wrote:
http://russellstreetreport.com/salary-cap/2014-ravens-salary-cap/

Suggs' cap number for next year $12.4 million. $4.6 million of that is salary prorations so that's already sunk cost. That leaves $7.8 million in salary left to work with. Judging by some of their other deals to save cap space the Ravens like to start off a new contract/extension by giving a player a $1 million base salary in the first year. That's a $6.8 million savings in cap space, but that also doesn't include any other new salary prorations, roster bonuses, etc. that would or could come with a new deal so the total savings would be less than that.

Keep in mind that the Ravens are projected to have a bit over $118 million in Rule of 51 contract obligations for the 2014 season. That's just the players under contract and not counting any potential tenders. Two obvious cuts to save some money would be McKinnie and McClain (I believe cutting both would open up $6.2 million, at least before McKinnie's roster bonus is due) but other than that there isn't much. Add those to Suggs' potential extension which would most likely open up less than $6.8 million in cap space and the Ravens could be looking at somewhere in the range of being around $15 million under the cap for 2014 with some 40 (really close to it anyways) players under contract. I'm not expecting a big free agent move like Byrd or anybody else.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BaltimoreTerp


Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Posts: 29420
Location: Washington, DC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like it's a question of whether Monroe will be ready for Sunday. That he'll start against Green Bay the week after almost feels like a foregone conclusion at this point. He's working hard to get up to speed.

Quote:
Matt Zenitz ‏@mzenitz 7m
Harbaugh said Eugene Monroe was at the facility all night learning with the OL coaches and was then back in early this morning


Quote:
Matt Zenitz ‏@mzenitz 5m
Harbaugh said Monroe "seems good, seems sharp," but he was non-committal on whether Monroe will start Sunday. "We'll just have to see"


Quote:
Matt Zenitz ‏@mzenitz 4m
Harbs on Monroe: "If he gives us feedback & says he's comfortable & can go, I think we'd be confident that he knows what he's talking about"


Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 11m
John Harbaugh on Eugene Monroe: 'He was here all night last night and in here early this morning. He seemed like he knew what he was doing.'

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 8682
Location: MD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Seems like it's a question of whether Monroe will be ready for Sunday. That he'll start against Green Bay the week after almost feels like a foregone conclusion at this point. He's working hard to get up to speed.

Quote:
Matt Zenitz ‏@mzenitz 7m
Harbaugh said Eugene Monroe was at the facility all night learning with the OL coaches and was then back in early this morning


Quote:
Matt Zenitz ‏@mzenitz 5m
Harbaugh said Monroe "seems good, seems sharp," but he was non-committal on whether Monroe will start Sunday. "We'll just have to see"


Quote:
Matt Zenitz ‏@mzenitz 4m
Harbs on Monroe: "If he gives us feedback & says he's comfortable & can go, I think we'd be confident that he knows what he's talking about"


Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 11m
John Harbaugh on Eugene Monroe: 'He was here all night last night and in here early this morning. He seemed like he knew what he was doing.'


Even if he's not ready for to start, I wouldn't mind seeing him out there a TE on some 6 OL sets.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
SnA ExclusiVe


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 22485
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference between him and McKinnie is already showing. McKinnie was at the facility all night planning his new record label and how he's gonna line up strip clubs and strippers for a gig - while Monroe was studying the playbook and getting to know the plays, calls, and coaches.

Can't wait to see this guy in action.
_________________

BlaqOptic wrote:
Salty about Dennis Pitta? Please... Dude is average as average goes...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 8682
Location: MD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
The difference between him and McKinnie is already showing. McKinnie was at the facility all night planning his new record label and how he's gonna line up strip clubs and strippers for a gig - while Monroe was studying the playbook and getting to know the plays, calls, and coaches.

Can't wait to see this guy in action.


Which facility?



OR


_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Mancunian Raven


Joined: 09 Oct 2012
Posts: 2180
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that the last time B-Mac was working all night, Jacoby Jones ended up with a bottle being smashed over his head. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

It's starting to sound to me like Monroe is the favourite to be starting on Sunday, and Harbs is completely done with McKinnie.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SnA ExclusiVe


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 22485
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of the cap situation, I definitely think we bring back Monroe, Pitta and Daryl Smith.

We let go of Leach, Oher, McKinnie, Jones, Graham, Canty or Spears and possibly Jameel McClain or Josh Bynes and also probably let go of Huff in favor of Elam being the new starting FS.

That should allow us to maneuver the deals necessary to bring back those key players, and if not, we restructure Joe's contract or Suggs (although honestly I would restructure Joe's - atleast Suggs is earning his money with his play.)
_________________

BlaqOptic wrote:
Salty about Dennis Pitta? Please... Dude is average as average goes...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coordinator0


Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 7343
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggs wouldn't be able to get a restructure next season since it's the last year of his deal. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get an extension though. That would free up around $6 million in cap space. Cutting McKinnie and McClain would do about the same. That still doesn't put the Ravens too much under the cap though if it stays roughly the same. There won't be anything happening with Flacco's deal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SnA ExclusiVe


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 22485
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Suggs wouldn't be able to get a restructure next season since it's the last year of his deal. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get an extension though. That would free up around $6 million in cap space. Cutting McKinnie and McClain would do about the same. That still doesn't put the Ravens too much under the cap though if it stays roughly the same. There won't be anything happening with Flacco's deal.


Suggs will get extended and will retire a Raven.
_________________

BlaqOptic wrote:
Salty about Dennis Pitta? Please... Dude is average as average goes...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Integrity


Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 4202
Location: Columbia
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing we made the trade when we did. Luke Joeckel may be injured.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/06/jaguars-luke-joeckel-carted-off/
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group