Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft Thread v.1
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiefer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Draft Thread v.1 Reply with quote

I feel like its never to early and after 4 weeks out needs seem to be becoming more clear.

Actually to start it off, what are the needs?

OL - is it a talent problem? Cohesion? Coaching? All the above? Jeff Allen/Geoff Scwartz needs to be replaced I know that much.

WR - things are opening up more while Alex gets more comfortable, but a great #2 would really help I think. Thinking Marqise Lee would fit right in, or Maclin from FA? More weapons for the QB is never a bad thing.

TE - Fasano isn't great, Kelce is injured and McGrath is solid. But a top TE would be the perfect fit for Smith since he loves TE.

Secondary - looking around for holes I do believe it is Lewis' last year in KC contract-wise. While he's solid enough but he can be upgraded, especially with how Sutton uses the safeties. Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix anyone? Roll Tide.

EDIT: Robinson looks to be getting phased out, Flowers at Nickel looks to be the future and CB depth isn't exactly a need but you can never have enough.

Front 7 - I believe Tyson will be back but another guy on the line would be great, an OLB to groom behind Hali, etc. not necessarily a need at all but you can always use more talent. Like a guy named Dominique Easly, he'll be there later because he tore an ACL but he's awesome.

More Depth, Future QB to groom,re-signing our guys that should.

Anymore to add?

EDIT: Forgot about Commings, thanks Bigs. Still though he's a complete unknown at this point.

Also, I was thinking something like I'd post a prospect I think fits our team with analysis, blahblahblah. Basically a verry very poor man's version of Ryk's yearly thread.

Doesn't mean you guys can't post stuff about guys you like, hey a lot of us watch college football here so speak up and contribute if you want.

Last edited by Chiefer on Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:11 pm; edited 6 times in total
simonwayne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say right now that our team would EASILY benefit the most from getting a dominant O-lineman (preferably a left guard) in round one. If we lost Albert then Allen would move to being a backup guard and Schwartz could be used as a backup tackle.

I really need to take a look at our cap situation and see what we are going to have to do with Albert and some of these other players.
Da_Zou13

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
OL - is it a talent problem? Cohesion? Coaching? All the above? Jeff Allen/Geoff Scwartz needs to be replaced I know that much.

I think we have to do something to improve. I don't think we need to grab a guy in the first round, but we will have to do something. I think we go BPA in the first round, and if a guard is the best player then take him, but its not a guarantee.
Quote:
WR - things are opening up more while Alex gets more comfortable, but a great #2 would really help I think. Thinking Marqise Lee would fit right in, or Maclin from FA? More weapons for the QB is never a bad thing.

Maclin seems like a perfect fit for us. Obviously he knows the offense and andy reid. He seems like a perfect compliment for Bowe and should come at a relatively good value. I would rather add a WR through FA because I doubt we have a shot at Lee or Watkins in the draft.
Quote:
Secondary - looking around for holes I do believe it is Lewis' last year in KC contract-wise. While he's solid enough but he can be upgraded, especially with how Sutton uses the safeties. Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix anyone? Roll Tide
Meanwhile Robinson is turrible, even as a nickel guy he's not great i feel he'll be exposed against Manning the older. Is Marcus Cooper the heir apparent, looks like it with 9 targets for 7 yards allowed. Still another guy will help in confidence.

Not the biggest need. Depth is a concern...kinda.
Quote:
Front 7 - I believe Tyson will be back but another guy on the line would be great, an OLB to groom behind Hali, etc. not necessarily a need at all but you can always use more talent. Like a guy named Dominique Easly, he'll be there later because he tore an ACL but he's awesome.

This is where I think we could use an upgrade. Sounds odd i know, but We need to add another pass rusher. I have a feeling we might cut ties with Tamba after this season because of his expensive contract. You can never have enough pass rushers, and with our attacking scheme, we will need them.

Props to LOTO on the sig.
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside of online, defense is probably our biggest needs, and all of the ones mentioned are possibilities, but the best may be DT to replace Tyson, who's on his last year I believe. We've got good edge guys and Tamba's deal decreases dramatically next year. We also have Commings to hopefully backfill either Lewis or Dunta, as well as Demps and Abdullah who even if UFAs should be cheap enough. We also should be able to find a solid complimentary DB in the middle rounds.

Given Reid's history, and our needs, I'd put money on DT. Also, is this the year we look for a QB in round 2-3? He did that a lot in Philly, and Chase is unspectacular with relatively low upside and expensive. Again, given history, our situation, and Alex's age and injury concern, I'm expecting a QB fairly early.

^ryknowssd on the sig
Mikek163

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I firmly believe we are in a position to draft BPA. Whoever the best guy is, draft him, and either let him learn behind some of the best, or plug him in right away if he's in a position of "need". I think our biggest targets are OL - WR though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da_Zou13 wrote:

I think we have to do something to improve. I don't think we need to grab a guy in the first round, but we will have to do something. I think we go BPA in the first round, and if a guard is the best player then take him, but its not a guarantee.

Yeah BPA is for sure our strategy going forward, but I'm thinking with the Andy Reid influence theirs gonna be some different views on what exactly that is. Laughing

If we pick late first that's where there is some good Guard/Tackle prospects we can pick up to start on the line.

Quote:
Maclin seems like a perfect fit for us. Obviously he knows the offense and andy reid. He seems like a perfect compliment for Bowe and should come at a relatively good value. I would rather add a WR through FA because I doubt we have a shot at Lee or Watkins in the draft.

As a Trojan fan I hate to say it but Lee probably falls a bit. His size isn't great, his speed is awesome but at the same time he's having a down year and just had a knee injury. If he's around when we pick we'll probably take him.

Maclin I think will be here though, I remember Reid talking and hugging it out with him before the game and I'm sure he whispered something along the lines of "We'll be talking to you after the season's over". He's from the area for what that's worth, and I'm sure if we finish the year good he'll want to join the team. The injuries do concern me though, and I hope he isn't expecting a large pay day coming off an ACL tear.

Quote:
Not the biggest need. Depth is a concern...kinda.

My belief is Dunta Robinson is not on the team next year, his contract isn't worth the trouble that is his play on the field. Meaning someone's gonna have to take over and while I'm starting to trust Cooper we still gonna need a corner.

With Thomas and Harris coaching the DBs I trust we can find a guy later to groom, I mean Cooper played excellently in short notice. I'm not thinking starters here, but more guys that can match the insane offenses and weapons this league has.

Quote:
This is where I think we could use an upgrade. Sounds odd i know, but We need to add another pass rusher. I have a feeling we might cut ties with Tamba after this season because of his expensive contract. You can never have enough pass rushers, and with our attacking scheme, we will need them.

Feel the same, its odd to say but I'd love to find a big guy with movement skills to give Poe a break on game days. Or maybe even a replacement for Tyson, another LSU guy named Anthony Johnson is projected there. Though after the combine he could skyrocket up boards.

Tamba...I pray we restructure his deal. The guy works his tail off and is an amazing pass rusher and makes the Defense more dynamic. I think his motor and work ethic just rubs off on the team in general. i think he will restructure knowing the kind of person he is. He got his pay day, and with the unselfish attitude flooding the locker room its a good possibility.
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This depends very heavily on who will be retained. The Chiefs are in some kind of cap quagmire, so I don't think they have enough room to retain all their FA. Albert would be a big investment - but I'd do it if it fits. Asamoah might be next on my list.

I'd keep both Demps (especially with DMX probably gone) and Abdullah over Lewis. Another one I'd like to keep is Jordan. However, none of those guys will return on a minimum benefit contract as they signed this year.

Jackson may become a cap victim.

Cuts: Robinson - no way he's worth 5+ M$ next year - releasing him would free up about 3 M$ against the cap.

So I'd keep the OL intact as it is, add some FA Guard or keep Schwartz - you can't be perfect everywhere.

A good WR came in handy - but that's about it in the early rounds may be even first) on Offense.

On Defense: DE to replace Jackson
After that: Safety, Outside Linebacker (are you sure the Chiefs will be able to keep Houston AND Hali after 2014?)
Mikek163

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamba Hali's contract

Year------- Base----------- S. Bonus-------Misc.------- Cap Hit

2013 ----- 12,250,000 --- 3,000,000 250,000 15,500,000

2014 ----- 6,250,000 ---- 3,000,000 2,250,000 11,500,000

2015 ----- 6,750,000 ---- 3,000,000 2,250,000 12,000,000

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC_Guy wrote:
This depends very heavily on who will be retained. The Chiefs are in some kind of cap quagmire, so I don't think they have enough room to retain all their FA. Albert would be a big investment - but I'd do it if it fits. Asamoah might be next on my list.

I'd keep both Demps (especially with DMX probably gone) and Abdullah over Lewis. Another one I'd like to keep is Jordan. However, none of those guys will return on a minimum benefit contract as they signed this year.

Jackson may become a cap victim.

Cuts: Robinson - no way he's worth 5+ M$ next year - releasing him would free up about 3 M$ against the cap.

So I'd keep the OL intact as it is, add some FA Guard or keep Schwartz - you can't be perfect everywhere.

A good WR came in handy - but that's about it in the early rounds may be even first) on Offense.

On Defense: DE to replace Jackson
After that: Safety, Outside Linebacker (are you sure the Chiefs will be able to keep Houston AND Hali after 2014?)

This is why I think restructuring will be key with Hali, maybe extend his salary out a couple more years to lessen the cap hit?
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking Smith on Thomas, Cooper on Decker, and Flowers on Welker against the PeytonsHeads. Love Cooper. Hate Dunta. Cut Dunta. Here is what I'm looking at next draft

QB (depending on where we pick and who falls), WR (Watkins or Lee would fit grrrrreat), Interior OL, DE, CB, S, T depth if Albert walks.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
samsel23

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rearviewmirror wrote:
I'm thinking Smith on Thomas, Cooper on Decker, and Flowers on Welker against the PeytonsHeads. Love Cooper. Hate Dunta. Cut Dunta. Here is what I'm looking at next draft

QB (depending on where we pick and who falls), WR (Watkins or Lee would fit grrrrreat), Interior OL, DE, CB, S, T depth if Albert walks.

I doubt we go QB if Reid likes Bray as much as I hear he does.

Sign Smith to a longer deal and decrease his 2014 hit, Daniels is pretty much set for another year here, and Bray is about all you can ask for in a developmental 3rd string.

I'd hope to resign one of Albert/Asomoah. Sign a midlevel OL in FA. Draft a 4th/5th round OL. That'd take care of the Offense, besides WR. Not sure what we do with McCluster.

Defense I really hope we can keep Jordan, Demps, Abdullah, and Lewis (doubtfully) with friendly contracts.

Jackson may be playing out of our price range

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think unless you have a shot an elite WR you have to fix our O-line to protect smith.

Top 2 is O-line improvement and WR. Unless there is an elite player on D to grab I would focus on Offense next draft.

Props to Loto Tailback for the SIG!
samsel23

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

valkrei wrote:
I think unless you have a shot an elite WR you have to fix our O-line to protect smith.

Top 2 is O-line improvement and WR. Unless there is an elite player on D to grab I would focus on Offense next draft.

Thing is, bringing in a rookie to this young group probably won't show much improvement. Personally I'd like to see us let Albert go (cap issue) and resign Asamoah. Pickup another Schwartz in FA (hopefully better), and roll with Fisher /Stephenson at tackle. Draft a swing guy that could also slide into LG.

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyler Bray is not going to be a guy who deters you from picking another QB you like. He is a UDFA who has maturity and character questions. Arm talent or not, if we see a guy we like we'll take him. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see Bray as the #2 next year though.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
omar72587

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rearviewmirror wrote:
Tyler Bray is not going to be a guy who deters you from picking another QB you like. He is a UDFA who has maturity and character questions. Arm talent or not, if we see a guy we like we'll take him. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see Bray as the #2 next year though.

Agreed!

It would be unwise to not draft a guy that we think could be one of the best in the league. We all know this is Alex's team but nothing last forever. I think the best case scenario would be to draft a qb and let him sit to have him learn from not only reid but Alex as well. Alex can teach smart safe football.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: