Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans' Players hold Players Only Mtg
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jch1911

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Texans' Players hold Players Only Mtg Reply with quote

Apparently Arian called it

https://twitter.com/taniaganguli

Reported by Pancakes originally
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/09/texans-foster-calls-players-only-meeting/
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's good for players to be able to hash out issues and vent without coaches or the media around. Hopefully some veteran leadership will step up and put this team back on course.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJ spoke at length and Matt addressed the team as well.

This is a veteran team that understands they let one get away on Sunday, yet also understands that Schaub is their best path to a Super Bowl this year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-texans/post/_/id/1023/matt-schaub-speaks-at-players-only-meeting

The more I look and read about this the more blame shifts to Kubiak. Do NOT misinterpret - Schaub made an AWFUL throw and needs to know to just take the sack there, BUT - Kubiak FORCED this play on the offense and AGAIN did not even give Schaub the power to audible out of it and into a straight run when the Seahawks seemed to be all over it (anyone know if Sherman switched to OD pre-snap?). What the hell is the point of having a 32 year old vet franchise QB when he isn't even empowered to change out of a highly risky play when the situation clearly dictates avoiding a turnover, especially after the Ravens jumping the route last week. Who knows if Schaub saw it or would have audibled out of it, but like the concept of a naked boot play action on 3rd and 4 with a lead and field position is bad enough, but PROHIBITING your Pro Bowl QB from audibling out of a bad call is a blatant control freak tactic and further proof that Kubiak wants to coach robots, not football players.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
jch1911

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:

This is a veteran team that understands they let one get away on Sunday, yet also understands that Schaub is their best path to a Super Bowl this year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-texans/post/_/id/1023/matt-schaub-speaks-at-players-only-meeting

The more I look and read about this the more blame shifts to Kubiak. Do NOT misinterpret - Schaub made an AWFUL throw and needs to know to just take the sack there, BUT - Kubiak FORCED this play on the offense and AGAIN did not even give Schaub the power to audible out of it and into a straight run when the Seahawks seemed to be all over it (anyone know if Sherman switched to OD pre-snap?). What the hell is the point of having a 32 year old vet franchise QB when he isn't even empowered to change out of a highly risky play when the situation clearly dictates avoiding a turnover, especially after the Ravens jumping the route last week. Who knows if Schaub saw it or would have audibled out of it, but like the concept of a naked boot play action on 3rd and 4 with a lead and field position is bad enough, but PROHIBITING your Pro Bowl QB from audibling out of a bad call is a blatant control freak tactic and further proof that Kubiak wants to coach robots, not football players.

I almost wonder if the players told Matt just that - next time, eat the ball or just audible. Letting Matt know that we have your back - if Koobs tries to dress you down for not doing as programmed.

Now that being said, we gotta have better play calls. I know we are not the Saints' offense - but did you see them on Monday night?? Up big and still full throttle with their execution. I hope Koobs was taking notes.
kanedafx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:

I almost wonder if the players told Matt just that - next time, eat the ball or just audible. Letting Matt know that we have your back - if Koobs tries to dress you down for not doing as programmed.

Now that being said, we gotta have better play calls. I know we are not the Saints' offense - but did you see them on Monday night?? Up big and still full throttle with their execution. I hope Koobs was taking notes.

You say that like he is capable of adapting. Wink
Raz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:

It must be killing you that majority of texans fans think Schaub is the problem, and there for you were wrong about Kubiak and Schaub.Ouch!

To me this is pretty obvious.
The coach has to have the players in a position to win the games, have a good base of players and good scheme/discipline.
The players do the rest.
I don't get why you put so much importance on the playcalling.

We are on the right track.
2011 we improved our defense and went from a avg team to a pretty good one.Now to become great we need to improve our pass defense and/or the QB position.But i'm sure you disagree because you think the fans deserve to win the superbowl NOW because the have suffered enough.

Inb4 a 1000 page essay about Kubiaks playcalling abilities.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:

You call the plays depending on what limitations you have.
Are you seriously suggesting that Kubiak should make Schaub copy what Drew Brees did last monday?

Schaub has limitations, why the [inappropriate/removed] do you think Falcons are having the same problem with playcalling.It's the QB not the playcalling.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raz wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:

It must be killing you that majority of texans fans think Schaub is the problem, and there for you were wrong about Kubiak and Schaub.Ouch!

The coach has to have the players in a position to win the games, have a good base of players and good scheme/discipline.
The players do the rest.

2011 we improved our defense and went from a avg team to a pretty good one.Now to become great we need to improve our pass defense and/or the QB position.But i'm sure you disagree because you think the fans deserve to win the superbowl NOW because the have suffered enough.

im not sure how you improve the #1 pass defense in the NFL....

2014 Adopt-A-Texan
Andre Johnson
34 catches 419 yards 1 TD
Grasspike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:

You ever wonder if Kubiak just said that to take the heat off his QB? Usually when you call play-action pass, you have the option to kill it to the run play that you're faking. It doesn't take that much effort. I'm not taking Kub's comments at face value. I think he knows his job is safe, and that the best way to keep it safe several seasons from now is to protect Schaub from the media attention until his luck changes for the better.

Sig by matthouston91
amazingandre

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not sure what to think on the audible situation, there was an interview awhile back with Chris Myers and he got mad when pressed about Schaub having the ability to audible. IDK if its Gary not trusting Schaub, having too big an ego or Schaub just sucking.....Either way, its ridiculous Schaub doesn't/can't/won't audible.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:

You ever wonder if Kubiak just said that to take the heat off his QB? Usually when you call play-action pass, you have the option to kill it to the run play that you're faking. It doesn't take that much effort. I'm not taking Kub's comments at face value. I think he knows his job is safe, and that the best way to keep it safe several seasons from now is to protect Schaub from the media attention until his luck changes for the better.

I would be with you if it hasn't been well documented that he severely limits Schaub's ability to audible. This isn't the first time. It's just the latest and greatest fail of them.

#JDI
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raz wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:

The players do the rest.

I couldn't care less what the "majority" of Texan fans think. The majority of Texans fans also wanted us to draft Vince Young, booed the JJ Watt pick, and gladly would have resigned Mario Williams for $100 million. The majority of fans enjoy drinking Miller Lite, dancing to that hack Clay Walker song, and still do "The Wave." Feel free to join the idiot masses, but I come from St. Louis Baseball Cardinals stock, where fans actually enjoy knowing something about the sport we cheer for, enjoy deep thoughtful debates about items most fans don't even notice, and laugh at moronic fanbases like the Astros who don't even notice that their teams are being set up for a decade of futility as they chase one big name talent after another.

As for your brilliant take on just needing to assemble a good base of players and let them do the rest, you have quite successfully described the Texans defense prior to Wade Phillips - a bunch of poorly coached talent that could hold a lead to save their lives. Amazing how we keep letting "talent" go like Amobi Okoye, DeMeco Ryans, Mario Williams, Bernard Pollard, Connor Barwin, Glover Quin, yet instead of being the 2nd worst defense in the NFL as we were with ALL that talent, we continue to be amongst the best 3 years in a row.

Since I know you probably can't understand how defensive coaching could relate to an offense let's just flip that for you and ask you dig deep and recall WHY Wade Phillips is NOT a Head Coach in this league. For all that defensive genius, let that guy touch offensive decision making and it turns to vanilla mush. Remember this is a guy who's offensive instincts led him to bech Doug Flutie who breathed life into his dead offense for the first time in years and reinstalled that much more TALENTED Rob Johnson who proceeded to go 10 for 22 and absorb 6 sacks and they lose on the Music City Miracle.

If you want to go deeper into history and recall the playcall that has been playing on repeat in my head all week, you probably have seen this one on NFL films:
Back in '78 the Giants led 17-12 with 20 seconds left against an Eagles team with no timeouts. Giants call for a running play when taking a knee would have ended the game. Giants RB Larry Czonka even begged QB Joe Pisarcik not to give him the ball in the huddle. Giants fumble the exchange and Herm Edwards scoops up the ball and returns it for a TD to win for Vermiel's Eagles 19-17.

Obviously, Kubiak's call wasn't this horrific, but it's NOT an accident that teams coached by guys like Carroll and Vermiel seem to always have good fortune, while a long line of bumbling Houston coaches like Glanville, Pardee, and Kubiak always seem to be on the wrong end of "bad luck." Stagger Lee, The Comeback, Rosencopter. It's the playcalling, stupid.

Texansfan713

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Im not sure what to think on the audible situation, there was an interview awhile back with Chris Myers and he got mad when pressed about Schaub having the ability to audible. IDK if its Gary not trusting Schaub, having too big an ego or Schaub just sucking.....Either way, its ridiculous Schaub doesn't/can't/won't audible.

Just like you said in the other thread, Schaub is a game manager, he isnt going to be like Peyton and call audibles and do what the defense gives him. He is just going to do the plays Kubiak calls.

As for the players only meeting, Im glad they called up. Much needed after these back to back losses. Hopefully our players get focused because we have too much talent to be 2-2.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think our entire system is built around running the play we set up in the huddle. I don't think it's an ego thing or a trust issue. We have a lot of plays that are reads off the defense, and some that are what they are. Kubiak is doing what all great leaders do and that's admitting that he is responsible for everything that happens. Leaders take responsibility and that's what kubiak did. Hopefully Schuab did the same thing in the players only meeting and we get the thing corrected

A win Sunday night puts us right where most of us thought we would be after 5 games

2014 Adopt-A-Texan
Andre Johnson
34 catches 419 yards 1 TD
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
I think our entire system is built around running the play we set up in the huddle. I don't think it's an ego thing or a trust issue. We have a lot of plays that are reads off the defense, and some that are what they are. Kubiak is doing what all great leaders do and that's admitting that he is responsible for everything that happens. Leaders take responsibility and that's what kubiak did. Hopefully Schuab did the same thing in the players only meeting and we get the thing corrected

A win Sunday night puts us right where most of us thought we would be after 5 games

I concur. Losses like last week would destroy a lesser team, but I think the Texans are level headed enough to recognize that they easily remain one of the 5 best teams in the AFC and as such should get a crack at another Super Bowl run if they keep it together. Clearly, something needed to be said as we played down to the Chargers and Titans level, the Ravens game was ugly. Ironically, last week might have been their best game, but Schaub made an extremely ill advised playcall worse by doing the one thing that couldn't happen and we lost a game we should have won against one of the best teams in the NFL. Obviously, I'm no big fan of Gary Kubiak as a gameday Head Coach, but I do always give him credit for not letting this team get too high or too low and Rick Smith has built a team of high character guys who pull together in times of crisis rather than imploding. Sunday was painful for EVERYONE, but absolutely no good would have come from defensive players publicly calling out the QB or the coach like Ryan let happen on the Jets or punks like Mike Wallace complaining about not getting the ball enough deep when his Qb was running for his life behind their turnstyle o-line.

I personally love that Arian Foster was the one to call the meeting as HE was the one that was neglected on Sunday in that 2nd half and OT. We will never know exactly what was said in there, but hopefully he started off by pointing FIRST to himself. HE didn't play particularly well in the first 2 games and SCHAUB bailed out this team. Schaub never showed him up or started bashing him publicly for not playing all offseason again and looking like it with those lethargic runs and he's still dropping passes. If Foster was running like Lynch was and refusing to go down, there would have been no reason to call 30 friggin pass plays in the 2nd half and OT. There would have been no reason to think we had to pass on 3rd and 4 to finish them off. For the dense readers here, I'm not saying Arian was the reason we lost Sunday. I'm saying the first step to accountability is acknowledging your OWN shortcomings first and Arian is not without them this season.

I'm hoping Andre Johnson stepped up next and pointed to himself. All is right with the world Sunday night if he catches that 3rd and 4 deep ball in OT and we are still driving in Field Goal range - wasn't a horrible drop, but also a play you want your star making in crunch time. Again, AJ is largely beyond reproach, but I will never forget the 2008 season where he played what I considered to be a soft game in the opener vs. the Steelers, then disappeared in the next two losses vs. Tenn and Jacks. As far as I'm concerned, he became a Hall of Famer based upon him finding a new gear in week 4 and finally becoming the 100 catch, 1,500 yard machine that PRODUCED like he was one of the best WRs in the game. When AJ speaks, people listen and I have no doubt that he too backed his QB.

Of course, then Schaub needed to step up and point to himself. Honestly, I don't think anyone needed to hear him tear apart his own performance as these are Pro's and they know. If anything, I think he owed a bigger apology for not being able to shake it off and still pull the game out like he did the first 2 weeks. He took two sacks that struck me as sad overreactions to not just eating the ball or throwing it away on the 3rd and 4 play and he needed to assure the team that he's NOT going to turn into a nervous nelly back there that just overreacts by taking sacks or failing to make plays because he's afraid of another pick 6. Again, I still think it was ill advised, but you can't say Kubiak demonstrated a lack of faith in him as we aired it out plenty after the pick 6. If you were paying attention we even threw it AGAIN on 3rd and 4 on the very next drive to OD no less in nearly the exact dead zone part of the field (seahawks 43). Of course, that call makes much more sense in a tie game than up by 7,. but I digress.

Anyway, we'll know soon enough. Much like I thought we matched up well with the HAwks, we match up even better against the 49ers, especially with Aldon Smith in rehab. Nothing about their offense should scare us as long as we keep Kaep in check like we did Wilson most of the day. We know Boldin well and have shut him down before and we need to treat Davis like a WR with Joseph/Jackson helping out Manning who has been exceptional thus far. Hopefully, D. Brown and Wade Smith are back to shore up the blind side and some normalcy is returned. Sure, we'd all love to have a QB that didn't need everything to be in order to succeed, but I still maintain that like Flacco and Eli, if those stars do align Schaub is still best equipped and perfectly capable of leading us to the promised land.

BTW - if you check the schedule over the next 3 weeks, there is no reason we couldn't be right back in first by ourselves when the bye week hits. Now if we lose again and the Colts hold serve vs. the Seahawks, it's officially time to worry. I HATE that the Colts draw Seattle on the road for a 2nd straight week as the Hawks likely know they are already playing with house money and are due for a letdown.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: