Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 LIONS DRAFT THREAD!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 59, 60, 61  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrRay11

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:
Can Gosder Cherilus net us a compensatory pick in the 4th, I wonder?

I think we signed more free agents than we lost and compensatory picks are supposed to help teams that lost more free agents than they gained, so I doubt we get any.

I doubt Cherilus would get us more than a 5th or 6th even if he got us anything.
He signed a big contract though. His contract total is probably as big as Quin's, Jones', and Bush's contracts combined.

Quote:
A team is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks if it is determined that they lost more or better players than they were able to acquire during the previous year's free agency period. The number of picks a team receives equals the net loss of compensatory free agents (maximum of four).

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula that was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a team is covered by this formula.

http://football.about.com/library/weekly/bl_draftcomp.htm

I know that the size of the contract offered is part of the formula to decide what round a comp pick is, but I have never heard of it being a factor to decide if one is given out in the first place.

We also lost Avril and SLH, right?

Yes, but we signed Quin, Bush, Mosley, Akers, and others. I think we signed more people than we lost to other teams.

Well... dammit. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait for the film on Pierre Desir to get out. All he has out right now is a few highlights on hudl, but all the reports from people who have attended his games make him seem like a legit high round prospect. He for sure has the size for it at 6-2 206. Runs fairly fast too (estimated 4.5, but looks a little faster than that on the highlights). His backpedal looks really fast too. Lanky but not a twig.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
cibowilson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
I can't wait for the film on Pierre Desir to get out. All he has out right now is a few highlights on hudl, but all the reports from people who have attended his games make him seem like a legit high round prospect. He for sure has the size for it at 6-2 206. Runs fairly fast too (estimated 4.5, but looks a little faster than that on the highlights). His backpedal looks really fast too. Lanky but not a twig.

I know Gil Brandt is pretty big on this kid. I wouldn't mind him if we can get him in the 4th to 5th round.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cibowilson wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

I know Gil Brandt is pretty big on this kid. I wouldn't mind him if we can get him in the 4th to 5th round.
Even though I personally haven't seen him, I would be perfectly fine drafting him earlier than that.

R.I.P. Stylish
cibowilson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
cibowilson wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

Even though I personally haven't seen him, I would be perfectly fine drafting him earlier than that.

Seems a lot like Greenwood, who I'm still excited to see.

What do you think of Roby? I haven't had a chance to see him much this season and I know he has had a bit of a rough season but I think he is super athletic and beyond confident. I think he Has a real good chance to bounce back and succeed in the pros.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cibowilson wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
cibowilson wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

What do you think of Roby? I haven't had a chance to see him much this season and I know he has had a bit of a rough season but I think he is super athletic and beyond confident. I think he Has a real good chance to bounce back and succeed in the pros.
Roby should stay in school. He has had a rough year, though I need to see more of him from this season. He seems like a player that received too much hype in the pre-season and just couldn't live up to it. He's still a solid player, but not the future shutdown corner like everyone thought he could be.

And Desir is similar to Greenwood in that they're small school CB's, but they have some key differences. Desir looks a solid 6-2, while Greenwood is about 6-1 (slight difference, but that 1 inch can make a difference). Greenwood has more straight line speed, but Desir appears to be much more fluid and his strides are pretty big which makes him able to back pedal with a WR longer than most can. He also doesn't seem to lose much agility by having the long strides either, which is a huge plus.

R.I.P. Stylish
Karnage_84

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
cibowilson wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
cibowilson wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

Roby should stay in school. He has had a rough year, though I need to see more of him from this season. He seems like a player that received too much hype in the pre-season and just couldn't live up to it. He's still a solid player, but not the future shutdown corner like everyone thought he could be.

And Desir is similar to Greenwood in that they're small school CB's, but they have some key differences. Desir looks a solid 6-2, while Greenwood is about 6-1 (slight difference, but that 1 inch can make a difference). Greenwood has more straight line speed, but Desir appears to be much more fluid and his strides are pretty big which makes him able to back pedal with a WR longer than most can. He also doesn't seem to lose much agility by having the long strides either, which is a huge plus.

I did not know much about this kid until I saw him on CBS's prospect rankings as a 3rd round guy (at least at the time). There is a lot to like about him. I'd love for us to get our hands on him in the 3rd or 4th. He could really develop into something special although it will take a bit of time to get up to speed vs stronger opponents.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about it, the more open I'd be to drafting De'Anthony Thomas. We could rotate him and Bush at RB and in the slot and Thomas could take over return duties as well. Thomas isn't that bad as a pure runner either and has pretty good receiving skills.

R.I.P. Stylish
bigc421

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
The more I think about it, the more open I'd be to drafting De'Anthony Thomas. We could rotate him and Bush at RB and in the slot and Thomas could take over return duties as well. Thomas isn't that bad as a pure runner either and has pretty good receiving skills.

In the 1st? No thank you
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigc421 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

In the 1st? No thank you
I prefer trading up from our 2 to get him. Or trading out of the 1st to get him.

R.I.P. Stylish
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
bigc421 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

In the 1st? No thank you
I prefer trading up from our 2 to get him. Or trading out of the 1st to get him.

The Lions have too many holes to trade back and spend their first pick of the draft on him. I would be upset.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
bigc421 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

In the 1st? No thank you

The Lions have too many holes to trade back and spend their first pick of the draft on him. I would be upset.
well ideally most or all holes would be filled by the time the draft rolls around. With the way the cap is looking, we may have some spending money (not too much though). It helps that we don't have too many FA's. Besides, trading back would allow us to fill more holes, so I don't see the problem there.

And, my reasoning for it, is that Bush seems to be not that great of a runner, but he is a pretty good receiver (Stafford needs to stop throwing it high to him though). If we could add DAT into the backfield, we could move Bush to the slot (which is a need with Broyles being a walking ACL tear). A lineup with Bush, DAT, Calvin, hopefully Pettigrew, and one of Bell, Fauria, Durham, maybe Burleson, maybe another draft pick or FA addition would be a nightmare for opposing defenses.

I prefer to add a high end #2, but if we can win some games and hopefully do well in the playoffs, we might play our way out of a top #2 WR. If that's the case, I'm not opposed to adding a good slot player.

don't forget about DAT's great return abilities as well.

R.I.P. Stylish
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
X_Factor_40 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
bigc421 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

In the 1st? No thank you

well ideally most or all holes would be filled by the time the draft rolls around. With the way the cap is looking, we may have some spending money (not too much though). It helps that we don't have too many FA's. Besides, trading back would allow us to fill more holes, so I don't see the problem there.

And, my reasoning for it, is that Bush seems to be not that great of a runner, but he is a pretty good receiver (Stafford needs to stop throwing it high to him though). If we could add DAT into the backfield, we could move Bush to the slot (which is a need with Broyles being a walking ACL tear). A lineup with Bush, DAT, Calvin, hopefully Pettigrew, and one of Bell, Fauria, Durham, maybe Burleson, maybe another draft pick or FA addition would be a nightmare for opposing defenses.

I prefer to add a high end #2, but if we can win some games and hopefully do well in the playoffs, we might play our way out of a top #2 WR. If that's the case, I'm not opposed to adding a good slot player.

don't forget about DAT's great return abilities as well.

It would obviously depend on how the draft shakes out but I really hope the Lions don't spend that high a resource to start moving players from their natural positions. It's at best a sideways move and smacks of a band aide approach.

I like the running game with Bush and Bell. It's taken many years and numerous wasted draft picks to get to a point where the running game actually has impact and opponents have to plan to defend it so why would they mess with it, especially with lesser performing units on the field?

I'm not a believer that the Lions can play their way out of having the opportunity to add a good player at any position. As we are all to familiar with good players are added outside the first round regularly. Bell, Warford and Levy are all good examples.

I know you're just spit balling ideas but I sure don't like this one, return ability or not.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Karnage_84

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:

My two cents - I'd love to have DAT on our offense. However, I'd love DAT in the 3rd-5th. There are other players who will be able to step in and have a more immediate impact at positions of need that translate into BPA at the time. DAT in the 1st or 2nd is just a luxury that we can't afford IMO.
Rockcity

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
bigc421 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

In the 1st? No thank you

upset would be putting kindly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 59, 60, 61  Next
Page 11 of 61

Jump to: