Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 LIONS DRAFT THREAD!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: 2014 LIONS DRAFT THREAD!!! Reply with quote

99% of you saw that title and thought that LION KING made this thread

This one is coming over a month earlier than the one last year so I am not as far ahead as I was when I made the previous thread. Last year around this time I was really liking Sam Montgomery, and right now my main man is Jake Matthews. Lets hope this years early on "man crush" turns out to be a little better than last years. I also listed Daniel McCullers as my sleeper last year, and now he's a higher profile prospect. I guess Vic Beasley, DE, Clemson could be in the same boat as McCullers, but my real sleeper is Jon Halapio.

And, I think I may have my new, real man crush. And he is no other than Zurlon Tipton, RB, Central Michigan. Tipton is a pretty underrated player, but the reason I like him so much is because I got to witness him destroy my school when he was in high school (I was in elementary school IIRC Laughing ) so I've been following him for a long time.

But enough about what I think, what about all y'all?

BOOM GO!

2013 draft thread

R.I.P. Stylish
stylish313

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true we need more tape, but I'm liking Roby from OSU and Dennard from MSU for our secondary.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
It's true we need more tape, but I'm liking Roby from OSU and Dennard from MSU for our secondary.
Haven't seen Roby yet, and only saw a few plays from Dennard, but I don't think they're the type of CB's we'd target this year (if at all). We have a decent amount of boundary corners, but Bentley is our only real slot corner. From what I've seen from Roby and Dennard, they'd be best suited outside. LaMarcus Joyner seems like a better fit (better fit in the slot, plays all over the field, very aggressive, pretty sure he could do returns too).

I don't we'll draft a CB though. I think we'll just get more depth in free agency (wouldn't mind Mathis back if he can still go next year).

R.I.P. Stylish
stylish313

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
Haven't seen Roby yet, and only saw a few plays from Dennard, but I don't think they're the type of CB's we'd target this year (if at all). We have a decent amount of boundary corners, but Bentley is our only real slot corner. From what I've seen from Roby and Dennard, they'd be best suited outside. LaMarcus Joyner seems like a better fit (better fit in the slot, plays all over the field, very aggressive, pretty sure he could do returns too).

I don't we'll draft a CB though. I think we'll just get more depth in free agency (wouldn't mind Mathis back if he can still go next year).
I can't agree with you there. We can't keep depending on guys we picked up from Kroegers every year, remember we just picked up Mathis a month and a half ago.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
stylish313 wrote:

I can't agree with you there. We can't keep depending on guys we picked up from Kroegers every year, remember we just picked up Mathis a month and a half ago.
I'd love to get a true #1 to go along with Houston, but I just don't see this FO doing that with the Slay pick. I think they plan to roll with Houston and Slay as our top 2 until Houston slows down. I dont necesarily thinks thats the best course of action, but until Houston falls off we need solid depth and an upgrade in the nickel. Alterraun Verner would be a good pickup to play in the slot for us.

R.I.P. Stylish
ManeLine

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Evans is my guy at WR right now

Smack

Adopt A Lion - Ryan Broyles
stylish313

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
stylish313 wrote:

I'd love to get a true #1 to go along with Houston, but I just don't see this FO doing that with the Slay pick. I think they plan to roll with Houston and Slay as our top 2 until Houston slows down. I dont necesarily thinks thats the best course of action, but until Houston falls off we need solid depth and an upgrade in the nickel. Alterraun Verner would be a good pickup to play in the slot for us.
Tennessee already let Finnegan go, they're not gonna let Verner go anywhere.\

Besides, we can't keep depending on free agency like we have, we need our cash for re-signing Ndamukong.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManeLine wrote:
Doubt he comes out. This year is pretty solid at the top for WR's, but next year he'd have to compete with pretty much only Amari Cooper (who isn't as good as him anyway). His decision might be dependent upon Manziels decision though.

But I do think that Evans is a beast. He makes some insane catches, and makes them look routine. It's hard to find a comparison for him, but he is like a more athletic Marques Colston that high points it better, or Vincent Jackson with less speed. His body control would be among the best in the NFL from day 1. He would be perfect for Stafford too because he's one of those guys that's open even if he's covered.

R.I.P. Stylish
stylish313

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
ManeLine wrote:
Doubt he comes out. This year is pretty solid at the top for WR's, but next year he'd have to compete with pretty much only Amari Cooper (who isn't as good as him anyway). His decision might be dependent upon Manziels decision though.

But I do think that Evans is a beast. He makes some insane catches, and makes them look routine. It's hard to find a comparison for him, but he is like a more athletic Marques Colston that high points it better, or Vincent Jackson with less speed. His body control would be among the best in the NFL from day 1. He would be perfect for Stafford too because he's one of those guys that's open even if he's covered.
Alshon Jeffery?
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
ManeLine wrote:

Alshon Jeffery?
Yeah he's a taller, better, less fat in pictures, version of Alshon Jeffrey. Better hands too.

R.I.P. Stylish
DTOW

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of Christian Jones. ILB/OLB out of FSU. 6'4 235-40 athletic and a hitter. He might be a guy to keep an eye on to replace Palmer at OLB.
Typical_Lions

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DTOW wrote:
I'm a big fan of Christian Jones. ILB/OLB out of FSU. 6'4 235-40 athletic and a hitter. He might be a guy to keep an eye on to replace Palmer at OLB.

I like him too.

Some other players I did and wouldn't mind seeing in a Lions uniform:

Austin Seferian-Jenkins TE Washington
Mike Evans WR TAMU
Ryan Shazier LB OSU
Kyle Van Noy LB BYU
Marqise Lee WR USC
Khalil Mack LB Buffalo

Based on mock drafts I have been checking out these dudes are all around pick 20 give or take a few spots. I am definitely interested in guys like Lewan, Matthews, Roby, et al. but they will probably not be around.
TheROARisBACK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR: Donte Moncrief, Sammy Watkins
TE: Troy Niklas, Eric Ebron
CB: Kyle Fuller

The only guy's I've really been keeping track of at positions we could use upgrades at.
rob_shadows

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheROARisBACK wrote:
WR: Donte Moncrief, Sammy Watkins
TE: Troy Niklas, Eric Ebron
CB: Kyle Fuller

The only guy's I've really been keeping track of at positions we could use upgrades at.

I'd add T, S, OLB and DE to that list of positions. While looking fine for now it's still too early to say for sure that Fox or Hilliard are long-term answers at RT. We need depth at S badly and it's too early to tell if Willy Young keeps pace or falls back into obscurity, and I was never confident with Jones and Young to begin with, Levy has done a great job improving and is becoming a real difference maker on the defense and while Palmer hasn't been a liability, he also hasn't really been a playmaker and could be upgraded.

The only two of those positions that could really warrant a 1st round pick is T if Hilliard or Fox don't prove by the end of the year that they are the guy and LB if a player is available at the pick to give us another playmaker at the position in place of Palmer. The other two should be later picks for depth or developmental guys, particularly at DE where a developmental prospect would be fine as we can afford to let him develop without rushing him into gameday situations (barring injuries of course), the S on the other hand, while not being drafted as a starter does need to be able to contribute immediately as the number 3 guy behind Delmas and Quinn when one of them needs a break or gets banged up (a role we seriously lack right now). I could see justifications for a pick as high as round 2 on that player, though round 3 would be preferred since ideally you'd like rounds 1 and 2 to be your impact/potential starter picks.

At this point in the season I'd say round 1 needs to be either CB, LB, WR, TE or T in no particular order and just which one it needs to be will depend on what we see from...

Hilliard/Fox at T

Edwards/Durham at WR (Broyles isn't included because he's a slot guy and it's outside help we need, Nate isn't included because he's aging and injury prone and should not be considered a reason against this being a need)

Pettigrew/Scheffler/Fauria at TE (especially considering we'll have to decide whether or not to even bring Pettigrew back)

Slay/Bentley/Green at CB (didn't add Mathis because he's aging and was never viewed as a long term solution even when they signed him, his age is already showing on the field and i'd expect it to continue to show more next season)

Palmer at OLB (though I should note that Palmer hasn't been a liability to the point where the need is "dire" and the pick should only be LB if one falls to us that can be a true difference maker at the position as there will likely be other positions of greater need)

the play of those specific players along with the position of where we pick/who should be available will determine what we should take in the 1st round. Even this early in the year I'd put money on it being on of those five positions.

If the season were over right now and it's draft day and the Lions are on the clock with the roster as it is and knowing what we know about the players at this moment...I'm taking WR if one is available that's worth the pick, CB if not, if there isn't a player at either one of those positions worth the pick I'd take BPA between the other 3 positions (OLB, T, TE)

Couple of things of note however...

- IF it's a late pick (say 26 or later) I'd also add C to the list IF one graded high enough and it would be placed in the "take BPA out of" group with OLB, T, and TE.

- IF Willy's start proves to be a fluke and he fades back into being a non-factor then I would add DE to the list not dependent on position as C was BUT only if a top rated pass rusher was available, and I only see 3 that fit the bill in Clowney, Tuitt, and Murphy. Otherwise DE stays as in the "draft a mid round developmental prospect" category and hopefully we won't be drafting high enough to land either of those 3 who should all be top 15 picks as the only real "elite" pass rushers in the draft for a 4-3 front.

To further clarify what my strategy as of now would be...

First Round:

Top 25 pick and everyone stands pat as far as how they are playing right now (as of week 4). Preferred position in order would be...

1. WR

2. CB

3. BPA at OLB, T, and TE

Note - If one of the "big 3" out of the pass rushers at DE fall, they take precedence over group 3 but WR and CB remain above them

Note - If the pick is 26 or later C is added to group 3 only if a standout emerges at the position.

Second Round:

Preferred position...

1. WR/CB - Whichever was not drafted in round 1, if neither were drafted then WR takes precedence over CB

2. BPA at OLB, T, TE, or C

Note - S is added as number 3 if no OLB, T, TE, or C is there that warrants the pick (extremely unlikely), OR if a S falls who simply ranks too far ahead of anyone at any of those positions to pass on him in which case he becomes number 2 and the BPA group becomes number 3.

Third round:

Preferred position...(this is not dependent on whether or not the WR/CB combination was drafted in rounds 1 and 2 as I am not interested in adding a player at those positions this late in the draft anyway, IMO if we don't draft a 1st or 2nd round talent at WR or CB we should simply stay away altogether, it's unlikely we'll find what we need later than that)

1. BPA between S, OLB, TE, and C

2. BPA between T, DE, and DT

Note - A position becomes disqualified from consideration if it was taken in round 1 or 2.

Rounds 4 - 7:

BPA at S, OLB, C, T, DE, DT, G, and K (eliminating those positions which we've already drafted)

2014 AAL: Larry Webster III
Rockcity

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol I've been making mocks already. I got a mock no matter where we pick ha

Couple sleepers I like atm are Za'Darius Smith de and Devonte Adams wr

There are a lot of potential gems in the later rds imo. If we can't find a #2wr and a cb they need fired.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61  Next
Page 1 of 61

Jump to: