Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Huge win for us, but is anyone else concerned?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
don4593

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Huge win for us, but is anyone else concerned? Reply with quote

Beating the reigning NFL champs is a pretty big deal, especially for a franchise that has been pretty tumultuous over the last decade. However, as big as the win was I am still seeing some major flaws in our game.

The defense is been nothing short of amazing this year, with the exception of the Jets game. Picking off Joe Flacco 5 times was huge and obviously had a major impact on the score of the game. I can't help but notice we won the game in spite of our pitiful offense.

Sure, you can say we ran for over 200 yards, but keep in mind that was for a disgusting 3.7 ypc. Complicating matters even further was EJ's inconsistent day only completing 10 of his 22 attempts. He finished the day with a 48.9 QB rating. To put that in perspective, Joe Flacco's QB rating was 46.4. Yikes.

Mike Pettine has turned an athletic defensive group who underperformed thanks to prevalent misuse. The aggressive play calling has eased the burden on our offense, giving them fantastic field position and keeping us in many games.

We brought in Marrone, an offensive guru, who then brought in Hackett. Hackett promised a fast paced offensive and he delivered, but he never promised a consistently good one.

Sometimes when I am watching the Bills offense, I wonder if they've ever seen Spiller play prior to coming to Buffalo. It almost seems like we are trying to force Spiller to conform to a style a play which is clearly detrimental to our offense. Maybe it is because I am used to seeing Gailey masterfully use Spiller and get him in the open field, but it really seems like Hackett and co. really have no clue what to do with Spiller. Granted we have two offensive philosophies in play (Hackett vs Gailey), don't you (at some point) try to fix the problem. They've used Spiller pretty much the same way for 4 straight games. It is becoming quite bothersome.

I understand the offense is limited given we have a rookie QB at the helm. Generally though, young QBs seem to be more productive utilizing screens and short passing plays. I'd like to see more screens to divert pressure and maximize Spiller's strengths. I'd also like to see them move EJ around the pocket it a little bit. EJ's internal clock is still developing, so having him roll out and get him on the run should make better use of the field and get our skilled players in a position to make a big play.

There are certainly more things I'd like to change with the offense, but these are the most pressing issues I see the Bills have. While we did get the win, I feel like these gaping deficiencies is what is going to keep us from being a playoff team. Our defensive unit is pretty special, so I just wish Hackett can make better use of our talents to make us more competitive offensively.

Thanks to Pick6_Finnegan for the sig
bigbadbuff23835

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could look at it like our best offensive player has yet to break out and our secondary hasn't even been close to healthy, yet we've been in every game and won two of them despite this. Imagine once the secondary gets healthy and Spiller finds a groove and EJ matures more.

#JDI
Maxmw22

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I drank some during the first 3 games, but I am pretty sure we haven't run a screen to Spiller or any RB at all this year. I agree that I don't think Marrone is using Spiller correctly. I think part of it is the read option. Spiller does damage outside the tackles and in space like you said. Problem is in the read option the RB has to run across the entire line before getting outside, opposed to say a pitch or stretch play where you can take an angle.

I think the read option can work for us, especially with the mobility of EJ, but we need to throw in some quick pitches and definitely some screen passes to get Spiller the ball, if we don't, I can't really see the Bills resigning C.J. when the time comes, they would benefit more for a north and south back.

Adopt-A-Bills:
RB C.J. Spiller - 927 yds, 4.6 ypc, 33 rec, 185 yds, 2 TD
DE/OLB Jerry Hughes - 46 tckls, 10 SCK, 2 FF
jsnydes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't say I'm "worried". We look like just a so-so team but how close the games have been keeps me optimistic. The team is playing tough and just hanging around. Even in the Jets game. We had no business being in that game. Reminds me a lot of the first few years Rex was in NY. The team was just so-so but they played tough and kept games close. Pulled out a lot of games and went to the AFC championship games.

TommyC376^^^
OffseasonChamps

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Huge win for us, but is anyone else concerned? Reply with quote

don4593 wrote:
The defense is been nothing short of amazing this year

...the Buffalo Bills defense?

because they seem to be pretty terrible still.

the only thing they're doing well is getting turnovers.
jsnydes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Huge win for us, but is anyone else concerned? Reply with quote

OffseasonChamps wrote:
don4593 wrote:

Outside of the Jets game, I think they've been good. The offense has put them in a BUNCH of horrible situations. EJ turned the ball over inside our own 35 twice in the 4th quarter of the Carolina game. Both led to 3 points rather than 7. That's the ball game right there. They played well against the patriots. CJ fumbled on our own 15? Yard line. That was an automatic 7 for Brady. The first touchdown of the Baltimore game was a fumble inside our own 40. Later EJ threw a INT at our own 45. A.Williams intercepted a pass in the end zone on the next drive. I think they've performed great and the offense hasn't done them any favors.

(Pretty sure most of those details are accurate. That's reaching back in my memory)

TommyC376^^^
TommyC376

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Huge win for us, but is anyone else concerned? Reply with quote

OffseasonChamps wrote:
don4593 wrote:

I'll save you a seat on the bandwagon if you want. Our D has been playing lights out. We kept Brady in check, beat the heck out of Cam Newton, Jets game wasn't great but we did make some nice plays, and we held RAY FREAKIN RICE and co. to 27, yes 27 rushing yards, also not to mention the 5, yes 5 picks of Flacco.

Oh and BTW we are doing this with out our shutdown CB and playmaking FS.

Our D would have a lot better numbers if #26 wasn't playing.

But you already knew that ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: