Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is there something wrong with Chris Johnson?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FootballProdiG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's getting paid way to much to be average. I say we cut him next season. He's just taking up cap space and dollars that could go to other good players. I like him as a person and in his prime he was good, but he's washed up now even if he breaks a few long ones my opinion won't change. We've, sadly, got one of the better lines in the league and he still doesn't perform. And like people above are saying, none of the top 5 backs in history(and you can go back to the damn 80's) had elite elite perfect 100% healthy Offensive lines. It's a position that can always be improved and very few teams usually have a consistently good one. As a back making Chris Johnson money you've got to MAKE plays.
zoinks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, the biggest change in CJ is that he's no longer finishing plays like he used to.

Earlier in his career, CJ rarely allowed a single defender to stop him. He would routinely make a single defender miss in the open field, routinely ran through arm tackles, and when he did get tackled, it usually took at least two defenders to corral him and bring him down.

Thinking back to his first 2-3 years, I can recall multiple occasions where CJ either dragged or literally carried a defender on his back for 5-10 yards before a second (or third) defender arrived to take him down. And when he went down, his forward momentum would routinely get him an extra 2-3 yards after contact.

Those days are long gone....and the CJ we're seeing now is easily contained and no longer presents a problem for potential tacklers. This version of CJ is maybe 50/50 (at best) to beat a single defender in the open field, hardly ever breaks a tackle, and is routinely taken down by the same arm tackles he once ran right through. He rarely makes it past the first defender, and rarely picks up more than a yard after contact.

Over the past couple years, CJ received a lot of criticism for dancing in the backfield and bouncing around looking for the big play instead of taking what was available. Now it seems like he's gone in the opposite direction; he's taking what's there....but when the play appears to have run its course, he's making very little effort to get anything more out of it.
TitanSS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballProdiG wrote:
He's getting paid way to much to be average. I say we cut him next season. He's just taking up cap space and dollars that could go to other good players. I like him as a person and in his prime he was good, but he's washed up now even if he breaks a few long ones my opinion won't change. We've, sadly, got one of the better lines in the league and he still doesn't perform. And like people above are saying, none of the top 5 backs in history(and you can go back to the damn 80's) had elite elite perfect 100% healthy Offensive lines. It's a position that can always be improved and very few teams usually have a consistently good one. As a back making Chris Johnson money you've got to MAKE plays.

Agreed. Cut him. Use that money on AV.
Titans fan 617

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothings wrong with CJ i hate with a passion the play calling for all RBs. Im sick of seeing Battle up the middle for every goal line call. Put CJ in for a try and try a pitch. And im sick of seeing CJ up the middle for a ton of calls get him outside its so annoying and predictable with CJs run calls now

Sig by daboyle250

TITANIA FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Shaun Phillips: 8 Tackles 5 Assist 1 Sack

Ropati Pitoitua: 9 Tackles 4 Assist 1 Sack
TwoToneBlue

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titans fan 617 wrote:
Nothings wrong with CJ i hate with a passion the play calling for all RBs. Im sick of seeing Battle up the middle for every goal line call. Put CJ in for a try and try a pitch. And im sick of seeing CJ up the middle for a ton of calls get him outside its so annoying and predictable with CJs run calls now

I feel like Battle's runs are more outside. Question

Adopt-A-Titan:
1) Dexter McCluster RB/WR -- 9 CAR 29 YDS, 1 REC 17 YDS
2) Sammie Hill NT -- 2 TCK 1 SCK
Titans fan 617

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TwoToneBlue wrote:
Titans fan 617 wrote:

Agreed just not on the goal line i feel like they dont try to get CJ on the outside i seen a few when i was at the Chargers game but nothing today early in todays game Charles kept getting on the outside and i was hoping CJ would get a chance to do the same but all i see is CJ ran run into the behinds of Stewart Turner or Warmack

Sig by daboyle250

TITANIA FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Shaun Phillips: 8 Tackles 5 Assist 1 Sack

Ropati Pitoitua: 9 Tackles 4 Assist 1 Sack

Last edited by Titans fan 617 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
MdTitansFan56

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TwoToneBlue wrote:
Titans fan 617 wrote:

Not on the goal line calls. They are stacked line up the gut. Most of which Battle runs into his own guys. We need Greene back, Turner needs to have a change of heart decide he no longers likes Football and retire, and Loggains just sucks.

1. Alex Morgan 2.San Antonio Spurs 3. Chicago White Sox 4. Ohio State 5. Buckeyes 6. Philadelphia Flyers
th87

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys know why they're not getting him in space? I can't think of any possible reason.
TitanSS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnson is a running back and that's what he wants to be. He doesn't want to be some scat back or go out in the slot, he wants to be the premier back.

That's why he went to East Carolina because everyone else wanted him to play WR or CB.

Outside of running more HB screens there's not a whole lot they can do to get him in space. Screens in todays NFL are a lot more risky. Defensive lineman are a lot more educated and can sniff them out immediately. Jurrell Casey was not fooled at all when the Chiefs tried running a HB screen last week. He was running step for step with Charles in the backfield while Pitoitua sacked Smith because there was nowhere to go with the ball. Screens are more effective on the edge.

Calling a simple toss play isn't exactly what I would consider getting Johnson in space and we've seen earlier in the season when we have called runs to the outside we don't have any luck. Usually for no-gain or a loss.

Johnson is not cutting back like he did when he first came into the league. Not to mention most teams now know of what he can do if you leave an open cutback lane and they smother it. He's had chances to cut it back this year. One really big chance against KC and he just ran straight forward for a yard.

I like CJ and I think he does have value, but it's not going to be as a teams #1 RB. I think he would do really well in a Darren Sproles type role.

CJ wasn't drafted by Munchak and with the direction the team is going I think Shonn Greene will be our #1 RB next year.

Maybe Jeff Fisher would give up some of those tasty draft picks for him.
Dionysus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:
Johnson is a running back and that's what he wants to be. He doesn't want to be some scat back or go out in the slot, he wants to be the premier back.

That's why he went to East Carolina because everyone else wanted him to play WR or CB.

Outside of running more HB screens there's not a whole lot they can do to get him in space. Screens in todays NFL are a lot more risky. Defensive lineman are a lot more educated and can sniff them out immediately. Jurrell Casey was not fooled at all when the Chiefs tried running a HB screen last week. He was running step for step with Charles in the backfield while Pitoitua sacked Smith because there was nowhere to go with the ball. Screens are more effective on the edge.

Calling a simple toss play isn't exactly what I would consider getting Johnson in space and we've seen earlier in the season when we have called runs to the outside we don't have any luck. Usually for no-gain or a loss.

Johnson is not cutting back like he did when he first came into the league. Not to mention most teams now know of what he can do if you leave an open cutback lane and they smother it. He's had chances to cut it back this year. One really big chance against KC and he just ran straight forward for a yard.

I like CJ and I think he does have value, but it's not going to be as a teams #1 RB. I think he would do really well in a Darren Sproles type role.

CJ wasn't drafted by Munchak and with the direction the team is going I think Shonn Greene will be our #1 RB next year.

Maybe Jeff Fisher would give up some of those tasty draft picks for him.

It's unfortunate, but I have to agree with a lot of this. Defenses have been making it a point to gameplan on holding CJ in check. You see the defense load the box more for him every time he's in the backfield vs. when Battle or Greene is back there. The problem is CJ rarely breaks or sheds tackles, which is why I've been campaigning that we try to use him more as a utility RB. Or have Greene and Battle wear down defenses throughout the game and CJ comes in and dice them up in spots and late in the games in a 3-headed rushing attack. I know he still wants to be a featured RB and that's fine, but let's face the facts. As it stands, his production is not doing us any favors. Right now he's just part of a "RB-by-committee" ground game (much like the Steelers). I'm hoping his production picks up once Shonn Greene finally is back in fold. Let me reiterate that I'm a big CJ fan, but if he can't put out better production than what we've been seeing, then I feel we should consider trading him. Reason being, homerun threat or not, his contract wouldn't justify his overall output. Don't get me wrong, 1200-1300 yards per season is nothing to scoff at, but for a RB making like $10 million/yr., that's completely unacceptable. You can get the same production from just about any decent RB at a much cheaper price. He should at least average 100 yards/game on the ground or 150 in total yards per game, resulting anywhere from 1600-2400 yards of production per season. That's just my opinion.

The thought of Shonn Greene being our #1 RB next season or ANY season terrifies me to no end. He's a thumper who can carry the load in the grind, but he's not the guy I'd want to hitch my wagon to as the featured RB. By some chance, should CJ become the casualty of a trade or release, then finding a new game-changing type RB should be high on our list.

TitanSS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dionysus wrote:

The thought of Shonn Greene being our #1 RB next season or ANY season terrifies me to no end. He's a thumper who can carry the load in the grind, but he's not the guy I'd want to hitch my wagon to as the featured RB. By some chance, should CJ become the casualty of a trade or release, then finding a new game-changing type RB should be high on our list. [/color]

Greene is averaging 4.2 ypc with a career long of 36 yards. He's not going to give you the big plays that a few backs can but he's more consistent than a lot of runningbacks. We'll add another RB in FA or the draft with big run ability to compliment him and share 30-40% of the carries, but big plays are not what we need out of our running game. We need 3, 4, or 5 yards on first down to make 2nd and 3rd down more manageable while taking time off of the clock. The road to the superbowl goes through Peyton Manning and Tom Brady and if you can't keep them off the field they're going to be putting up points.

Shonn Greene is great at consistency while CJ is probably one of the worst. Especially lately.
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm slowly resigning myself to the possibility of a CJ-less Titans in the near future. He's still one of my favorite players... and always will be... no matter what happens. CJ2K is what I'll remember when I'm 60.

I still think he has it in him to be one of the best RBs in the league... I do... but I just don't think the team can keep waiting around with the salary he carries around. Although, his cap hit does go down starting next year, it could still mean a $4M savings on the cap (and more importantly to bud, an $8M savings on his wallet).

Just typing that makes this a sad sad day in my Titania life.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greene being the feature back is not what I want. But then again, all he'd have to do is get more than 3.1 yards a carry to be an upgrade. CJ makes some great blocks, but he's been completely irrelevant in the passing game other than the long catch and run last week.

Lets take Seastrunk in the draft
MdTitansFan56

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If CJ is gone which I don't see or want to happen but could be a possibility, signing Ben Tate is my pipe dream. But with Greene that won't happen I just want Ben Tate in Tennessee. I played against him in high school and some pick up with him. Always been a monster.

But I could see us going Greene as the bulk guy then bringing in a Woodhead, Sproles type guy (change of pace guy that can catch not those 2 specifically)... I just wish Schwenke could take over a center hopefully 2 more weeks max then we see vintage CJ. A man can dream right?

1. Alex Morgan 2.San Antonio Spurs 3. Chicago White Sox 4. Ohio State 5. Buckeyes 6. Philadelphia Flyers
Dionysus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure we all still love CJ and would love for him to stay. We're just wondering what the Hell happened to THIS guy--the guy we gave the big $$$ to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ0P2sWSmVE

That was the type of production that we got accustomed to. You know like I know, that if THAT version of CJ2K ever fully resurfaces, we'll be elite once again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: