Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Head Coach
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will Kubes remain as head coach if Texans don't make playoffs
Yes
31%
 31%  [ 10 ]
No
68%
 68%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 32

Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we sign Sumlin and Fire Kubiak, i would bet anything that A&M hires Kubiak
kenney

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:

No way. A&M passed on Kubiak for Sherman. They'll do it again for Chad Morris.
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

No way. A&M passed on Kubiak for Sherman. They'll do it again for Chad Morris.

I wouldnt mind bringing back Kliff Kingsbury but idk if he would leave Tech
Marco79

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the texans go 9-7 or 8-8, do any of you actually see Kubiak getting fired?

I would be absolutely shocked if he was fired.
ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco79 wrote:

Given the talent on the team, I could see it. I think McNair has started wishing up.
kenney

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ServantofYHWH wrote:
Marco79 wrote:

Given the talent on the team, I could see it. I think McNair has started wishing up.

Had McNair not made the comments he did after last season, I would think the answer would definitively be, "No." However, because McNair expressed disappointment and made public the fact that Kubiak and the team had failed to meet expectations, I fully expect that failing to win the division/make the playoffs will result in Kubiak being shown the door.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
ServantofYHWH wrote:
Marco79 wrote:

Had McNair not made the comments he did after last season, I would think the answer would definitively be, "No." However, because McNair expressed disappointment and made public the fact that Kubiak and the team had failed to meet expectations, I fully expect that failing to win the division/make the playoffs will result in Kubiak being shown the door.

How is this even a question? If a team with Super Bowl talent like the Texans fails because of the malfunctioning unit the Head Coach runs he HAS to go. As far as I'm concerned, it's time to start questioning if this anachronism of an offensive system will EVER get a team a Super Bowl ring again. For goodness sakes, Shanahan himself hasn't won a playoff game with it since Elway retired and Davis got hurt in 1998 - 15 years ago! We beat the Bengals twice largely on the strength of the defense and the offense couldn't hang vs. the Ravens or Pats so what happens if it's the Broncos or Colts this year? They didn't get better than us by accident - they fired their coaches and made a change at QB.

It seems clear to me at this point that it is horribly stale, predictable, and remains fundamentally flawed in the red zone and kick zones. It's built to beat poor fundamentally unsound teams, but the good teams have it figured out and the high powered offensive teams know they can just put the pedal to metal and build up a lead on us then we are toast. Even when we move the ball against good defenses, I think we will remain vulnerable to big plays against us as teams have 8 years of the same basic plays to review and no matter how well executed they are, you are going to stopped in key areas of the field when they know what's coming a healthy portion of the time and smart players will continue to make big plays against us.

Kubiak was the coach to get us to respectability, and his system & Schaub running it likely could have gotten us farther if we hadn't wasted 4 years with his unqualified buddies coaching defense, but I think we've likely missed the window on his offense being effective enough to beat the teams we will need to beat in a playoff run. Again, the logical next step would be to fire the OC, but ours is the HC and frankly he's just not good enough at too many of the other things HCs do to keep him around as a top level figurehead either and we all know, he'll never give up control of the offense or have the fortitude to make decisions like firing Marciano. As far as I'm concerned this season is the final referendum on Kubs and Schaub and if we reach the promised land or maybe 1 step short vs. Brady/Manning, then they get another 2 years to finish the job. If not, we vote "no" and try to finish what they built with a new offensive regime while keeping the d in tact. I would even support elevating Wade as long as he was coupled with a bright offensive mind and future HC as OC and likely a new QB.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Marco79

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How is this even a question? If a team with Super Bowl talent like the Texans fails because of the malfunctioning unit the Head Coach runs he HAS to go.

I am not disgareeing with you, but I just don't see McNair making a change. I mean I just dont see him firing him coming off 2 years of winning the division and winning playoff games, if he couldn't fire him after a 6-10 season coming off 4 years of no playoff appearances.

I hope he would be fired, I just don't think it would happen.
Raz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:

How is this even a question? If a team with Super Bowl talent like the Texans fails because of the malfunctioning unit the Head Coach runs he HAS to go. As far as I'm concerned, it's time to start questioning if this anachronism of an offensive system will EVER get a team a Super Bowl ring again. For goodness sakes, Shanahan himself hasn't won a playoff game with it since Elway retired and Davis got hurt in 1998 - 15 years ago! We beat the Bengals twice largely on the strength of the defense and the offense couldn't hang vs. the Ravens or Pats so what happens if it's the Broncos or Colts this year? They didn't get better than us by accident - they fired their coaches and made a change at QB.

It seems clear to me at this point that it is horribly stale, predictable, and remains fundamentally flawed in the red zone and kick zones. It's built to beat poor fundamentally unsound teams, but the good teams have it figured out and the high powered offensive teams know they can just put the pedal to metal and build up a lead on us then we are toast. Even when we move the ball against good defenses, I think we will remain vulnerable to big plays against us as teams have 8 years of the same basic plays to review and no matter how well executed they are, you are going to stopped in key areas of the field when they know what's coming a healthy portion of the time and smart players will continue to make big plays against us.

Kubiak was the coach to get us to respectability, and his system & Schaub running it likely could have gotten us farther if we hadn't wasted 4 years with his unqualified buddies coaching defense, but I think we've likely missed the window on his offense being effective enough to beat the teams we will need to beat in a playoff run. Again, the logical next step would be to fire the OC, but ours is the HC and frankly he's just not good enough at too many of the other things HCs do to keep him around as a top level figurehead either and we all know, he'll never give up control of the offense or have the fortitude to make decisions like firing Marciano. As far as I'm concerned this season is the final referendum on Kubs and Schaub and if we reach the promised land or maybe 1 step short vs. Brady/Manning, then they get another 2 years to finish the job. If not, we vote "no" and try to finish what they built with a new offensive regime while keeping the d in tact. I would even support elevating Wade as long as he was coupled with a bright offensive mind and future HC as OC and likely a new QB.

i don't....

The defense was horrible against the Patriots in the playoffs and still hasn't found a way to stop the elite QB's, so and there is an issue with Schaub at QB no matter what you say.The system works fine it's just stubborn Kubiak who is trying to play Matt Schlaub even though he sucks.
You know it as well as i that if we had a QB similar to Rodgers and if Ed Reed helps fill the gaps in the "D" we would be unstoppable.

Also didn't the Broncos beat the Patriots in 2005-2006 in the playoffs?

Last edited by Raz on Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although, i agree that if we go 8-8 he should be fired, although i couldn't bare the feeling seeing him make a powerhouse out of some crap team like Oakland or some similar.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raz wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:

i don't....

The defense was horrible against the Patriots in the playoffs and still hasn't found a way to stop the elite QB's, so and there is an issue with Schaub at QB no matter what you say.The system works fine it's just stubborn Kubiak who is trying to play Matt Schlaub even though he sucks.
You know it as well as i that if we had a QB similar to Rodgers and if Ed Reed helps fill the gaps in the "D" we would be unstoppable.

Ugh - we keep going in circles on this. Everyone keeps using Qbs like Rodgers to try to prove their point. First off, Rodgers sat on the bench 3 seasons mentoring behind a guy who starter 297 consecutive games, 11-time Pro Bowler, and 3 consecutive MVPs, and holds nearly all the major NFL passing records. Might as well complain that the Texans aren't a community owned non-profit like them or that the team wasn't put in Beaumont which is about the size of Green Bay.

Second, this defense isn't the same if we used picks chasing Qbs. Is this team really better with Brock Osweiler at QB and no Whitney Mercilus? Christian Ponder instead of JJ Watt? Tim Tebow or Jimmy Clausen instead of Kareem Jackson? Heck are you giving up Brooks Reed for Ryan Mallett? Are you giving up Hopkins for Geno Smith or Mike Glennon this year? This isn't stacking the deck with duds, those are the next QBs taken after our top picks.

Third, stop using options not available to us. The only current starting QBs I see that could have been drafted by the Texans in their draft position are Wilson, Kaepernick, Pryor, Dalton, and Geno Smith. Schaub outplayed Wilson last week aside from the one play and let's see how Kaepernick looks this week as he's been terrible against the only 2 defenses he's played this season and the shine has certainly come WAY off the pistol this season, just as I predicted. Regardless if you think BOTH those guys are great, 30 other teams missed on them too and their coaches are amongst the best in the game right now, they so stop acting like we've been regularly passing on obvious QB talent in favor of Schaub. Andrew Luck would be great - but we would have to go 2-14 first and sometimes all that buys you are highly paid RTs like the Chiefs and Jags got this year for all their suffering.

Free agency wise, the choices have been Alex Smith, Carson Palmer, Matt Flynn, Brian Hoyer, Jason Campbell, Matt Cassell and Matt Hasselbeck. Smith has had a decent start against 4 of the worst defenses in the NFL and is being treated like TJ Yates was, so get back to me in 2 months. The rest are pitiful aside from Hoyer who lasted all of 3 starts before going down for the season and in the process did something in one of those that Schaub has down once in 122 starts (thrown 3 ints).

Texan fans need to stop acting as if finding a franchise QB is some sort of a 1 year plug and play operation. Heck, the only reason Wilson got a shot at the job was that swung and missed on Flynn and the 49ers benched the #1 overall pick in Smith to get to Kaepernick. Those successes only came through years of failure at QB far worse than anything Schaub has or hasn't done here. Heck if you're up in Dallas, $108 million on Romo actually makes sense after you lived thru Bledsoe, Testaverde, Carter, Henson, Hutchinson, and Leaf starting games after Aikman. For more fun check out the Dolphins post Marino, Raiders post Gannon, or Browns post re-expansion.

Oh yes, before you go "projecting" based on Keenum & Yates pre-season performances against other backups, let me remind you that Rex Grossman also "earned" a backup QB job in preseason for us. See also Lestar Jean and too many RBs that went on to glorious nothingness on the practice squads of the Browns and Jets.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Raz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Apollo

I ain't talking about what could have been, the past is behind us and i am fine with how we did these last years and i would not have replaced Schaub until now as we can all see he has regressed greatly.Although i suspect Kubiak will stick with him this season and i would be pretty mad if we missed the playoffs on top of that.
I am talking about how the zone system created by Kubiak is and will continue to work.There are very few games that we struggle on offense and it we actually had someone who could also create couple of points in spite of the offensive struggles, then that would be the key to make a superbowl run IMO.

I know that getting a "Franchise" QB is not easy at all.In fact i think the Colts tried to tank and get Luck because it was pretty obvious that he had "it".
I don't think we necessarily need a QB with Luck's ability, but we need someone who can at least create a play or two per season.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys SHOULD go after Ray Horton for HC. I'm just hoping he doesn't take our D-line coach with him.
kanedafx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Raz wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:

i don't....

Ugh - we keep going in circles on this. Everyone keeps using Qbs like Rodgers to try to prove their point. First off, Rodgers sat on the bench 3 seasons mentoring behind a guy who starter 297 consecutive games, 11-time Pro Bowler, and 3 consecutive MVPs, and holds nearly all the major NFL passing records. Might as well complain that the Texans aren't a community owned non-profit like them or that the team wasn't put in Beaumont which is about the size of Green Bay.

Second, this defense isn't the same if we used picks chasing Qbs. Is this team really better with Brock Osweiler at QB and no Whitney Mercilus? Christian Ponder instead of JJ Watt? Tim Tebow or Jimmy Clausen instead of Kareem Jackson? Heck are you giving up Brooks Reed for Ryan Mallett? Are you giving up Hopkins for Geno Smith or Mike Glennon this year? This isn't stacking the deck with duds, those are the next QBs taken after our top picks.

Third, stop using options not available to us. The only current starting QBs I see that could have been drafted by the Texans in their draft position are Wilson, Kaepernick, Pryor, Dalton, and Geno Smith. Schaub outplayed Wilson last week aside from the one play and let's see how Kaepernick looks this week as he's been terrible against the only 2 defenses he's played this season and the shine has certainly come WAY off the pistol this season, just as I predicted. Regardless if you think BOTH those guys are great, 30 other teams missed on them too and their coaches are amongst the best in the game right now, they so stop acting like we've been regularly passing on obvious QB talent in favor of Schaub. Andrew Luck would be great - but we would have to go 2-14 first and sometimes all that buys you are highly paid RTs like the Chiefs and Jags got this year for all their suffering.

Free agency wise, the choices have been Alex Smith, Carson Palmer, Matt Flynn, Brian Hoyer, Jason Campbell, Matt Cassell and Matt Hasselbeck. Smith has had a decent start against 4 of the worst defenses in the NFL and is being treated like TJ Yates was, so get back to me in 2 months. The rest are pitiful aside from Hoyer who lasted all of 3 starts before going down for the season and in the process did something in one of those that Schaub has down once in 122 starts (thrown 3 ints).

Texan fans need to stop acting as if finding a franchise QB is some sort of a 1 year plug and play operation. Heck, the only reason Wilson got a shot at the job was that swung and missed on Flynn and the 49ers benched the #1 overall pick in Smith to get to Kaepernick. Those successes only came through years of failure at QB far worse than anything Schaub has or hasn't done here. Heck if you're up in Dallas, $108 million on Romo actually makes sense after you lived thru Bledsoe, Testaverde, Carter, Henson, Hutchinson, and Leaf starting games after Aikman. For more fun check out the Dolphins post Marino, Raiders post Gannon, or Browns post re-expansion.

Oh yes, before you go "projecting" based on Keenum & Yates pre-season performances against other backups, let me remind you that Rex Grossman also "earned" a backup QB job in preseason for us. See also Lestar Jean and too many RBs that went on to glorious nothingness on the practice squads of the Browns and Jets.

You defeated your own argument. Kaep and Wilson got shots, which is how they were discovered.

We will never find our franchise QB if we don't start giving other players a shot. Yates doesn't even have the potential so I wouldn't bother with him. But Keenum needs his shot. If it doesn't work out, so what? You've lost NOTHING. Schaub isn't even going to take us to the playoffs at this point, so what is the point in even playing him? There is none.

The absolute only hope for the future and for the season right now is Case Keenum. Even if it's a 10% chance, it's better than a 0% chance with Schaub/Yates. And if Keenum busts, great, now we have a high draft position to draft another potential franchise QB. The upcoming draft is full of them.
buckwild

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sumlin is not leaving A&M for the NFL as he is a loyalist coming from the coaching tree of RC and Bob Stoops who was projected to be the next great NFL coach. Sumlin is not into coaching for the money grab<cough> Nick Saban. So can we actually throw out some actual canidates, not retreads of washed up NFL coaches who haven't coached in 10 years either. Although I don't see McNair firing Kubes unless the Texans go 4-12.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: