Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Head Coach
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will Kubes remain as head coach if Texans don't make playoffs
Yes
31%
 31%  [ 10 ]
No
68%
 68%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 32

Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I might offer this up as "wild card" option perhaps, better than a pure "addition by subtraction" move by benching Kubiak's boy Schaub as if starting Yates or Keenum and having Foster facing 8 man fronts each week will lead to more mistake-free football (Yates/Delhomme didn't make a ton of mistakes to close 2011, but they also did nothing to actually beat vastly inferior Panther, Colts, and Titans teams that year and Yates DID lose us the Ravens game, with an assist from Jacoby). Reality is, Schaub could throw pick 6's against Jacks, Oak, St. L and Arizona and we'd still win vs. their pathetic offenses, so this is more about who provides the upside to beat the 7 legit playoff teams remaining on our schedule + playoffs. I can acknowledge that firing Kubiak mid-season would more likely result in sparing us a return to Kubs natural, 7-9/8-8/9-7 purgatory in favor of a more draft friendly 5-11, but I think it's still worth shooting for an 11-5 possibility with rare late season momentum if we can bring some positive change vs. just ditching parts that had us at 12-1 last year and 10-3 the year before.

So here it is, I personally despise the guy as a Head Coach, but Lane Kiffin actually has a pretty bright and creative offensive mind like Lil Shanny once brought. As a playcaller, he too is prone to inconsistency and some boneheaded decisions when left to his own devices, but as some sort of "special offensive assistant" up in the booth he could at least draw up some new plays and identify some in-game opportunities that could be cycled in especially in the red zone and no man's land areas where Kubs plays just aren't working. Lil Kiffin is an entitled low character sleaze who should never again be trusted to lead an entire organization, but like Rex Ryan, when his ego is checked by more balanced individuals and he's around professionals that can keep him out of the spotlight, he has some real talent that could be mined. I'm not entirely sure I want the guy around long-term as his character compass isn't exactly a good fit for the Texans, but I would gladly use him for a season or two, especially since he's in a position where he needs us as much as we need new offensive ideas.

I always love me a demotion hire as it certainly worked with Wade Phillips. Fired coaches are usually so relieved to be done with all the press and PR bs and having to be accountable for EVERYONE's failures, not just their own, they usually reconnect with what made them good in the first place and start having fun again. I was stumping this offseason for us to grab Greg Knapp who was the architect of the best we ever saw of Schaub in 2011 AND the guy who actually turned TJ Yates into a QB that didn't completely tank a playoff team until he met a team actually better than ours. He was a failure again as an OC in Oak, but there he is in Denver helping Peyton turn back the clock. It seems clear to me that Karl Dorrell's quiet style just doesn't work with Schaub especially when coupled with fellow duds like Dennison and Kubiak. This offense needs someone to bring some fire and a kick in the butt when needed and while Kiffin isn't my ideal candidate, he at least brings some of the qualities that could help amongst the very few options available.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One final reminder and I'll move on:

* VY in OT (Titans 06)
* Rosencopter (Colts 08 )
* Doomed in the Desert (Cards 09)
* YY on MNF (Titans 09)
* Hail Mary in Jacks (Jags 10)
* Meltdown at the Meadowlands (Jets 10)
* Ballhawked (Seahawks 13)

The 7 most painful losses in team history each have something in common and it's NOT Matt Schaub. Everyone remembers the plays that sealed the deal in each of these, but in EVERY CASE it was terrible football decisions by Kubiak that made them even possible.

I don't have time to recount them all and frankly, I've done so 50 times already, but this week just reminds me too much of the false lynching of Sage Rosenfels for the Rosencopter play. As a reminder we are LEADING by 10 at home vs. Manning's Colts with under 4 minutes to play. It's 3rd down and long at the Colts 40 after two straight runs into the line by Ahman Green and Kubiak calls that EXACT SAME naked boot call as this week on a play where at worst you run into the line again, they burn their final timeout and we punt with Peyton Manning needing to go at least 80 yards in under 3 minutes, recover an onside kick and go another 40+ to win with seconds on the clock. The rest is history, Rosenfels goes airborne to get the final yard and the fumble is returned 68 yards for a TD.

Don't forget - we are STILL up by 3 with 3:36 left. Gary runs Slaton into the line for 1 yard, then inexplicably sets Sage back to pass TWICE instead of burning clock and naturally the sack fumble comes on the 2nd one handing Manning the ball on the 20 and 2 plays later they are in the end zone with a 31-27 lead. Rosenfels even led us right back down the field to Colts 43 until we forced the ball deep to AJ on the sideline with :51 left and 2 timeouts in our pocket.

Without question, Rosenfels made some stupid decisions and execution errors and was destroyed by the Houston fans and press, but how the hell does the Head Coach not get destroyed for being so afraid of Peyton Manning that he creates a situation where Manning has to throw 2 balls 20 yards instead of going 80+ on 1 drive, recover an onside kick everyone knows is coming, then go another 40+ yards all in under 4 minutes.

This week isn't exactly the same but he still failed to recognize the downside risk of throwing on 3rd and 4 (with his immobile QB completely exposed no less) was FAR worse than an unsuccessful run and punt with a defense that had stopped Russell Wilson all day except one drive. He didn't have Slaton and Green back there, he had Foster and Tate, yet he still threw 30 times to 11 runs with a significant lead AT HOME.

Wake up Texan fans, Gary is the common element in each of these abysmal losses where we vastly outplay our opponents and still lose. Hell, the entire 2010 season went that way and it's about time people look beyond the QB and start realizing that whether it was Carr, Rosenfels, Schaub, Grossman, Chris Brown, or Yates throwing ill advised passes there was Gary right there putting them in a situation to grasp defeat from the arms of a victorious effort.

It's not like Schaub is some crazy gunslinger, constantly calling his own number and checking out of Gary's calls and making poor decisions, he is executing inherently flawed playcalls poorly and making matters worse, but when 2 games in a row defenders know the play as well as Schaub and OD do, it has failed from the outset and is at best a 50/50 outcome like a hail mary. In this case, when you have consciously chosen to expose your QB on a naked boot behind a backup LT and throw to OD with Richard Sherman covering him, you have been OUTCOACHED before the snap even happens because you have been forced into an unnecessarily risky playcall featuring the biggest mismatches on the field where the worst case scenario becomes the reality. Schaub had decide in a split second whether to just take a sack or try to complete a pass on a play nobody bit on, but AGAIN Kubiak had the advantage of a timeout to think about the right call in that situation and he AGAIN chose the worst possible playcall and NOBODY seems to want to call HIM out for it along with his entire ill fated 2nd half strategy.

kanedafx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
One final reminder and I'll move on:

* VY in OT (Titans 06)
* Rosencopter (Colts 08 )
* Doomed in the Desert (Cards 09)
* YY on MNF (Titans 09)
* Hail Mary in Jacks (Jags 10)
* Meltdown at the Meadowlands (Jets 10)
* Ballhawked (Seahawks 13)

The 7 most painful losses in team history each have something in common and it's NOT Matt Schaub. Everyone remembers the plays that sealed the deal in each of these, but in EVERY CASE it was terrible football decisions by Kubiak that made them even possible.

I don't have time to recount them all and frankly, I've done so 50 times already, but this week just reminds me too much of the false lynching of Sage Rosenfels for the Rosencopter play. As a reminder we are LEADING by 10 at home vs. Manning's Colts with under 4 minutes to play. It's 3rd down and long at the Colts 40 after two straight runs into the line by Ahman Green and Kubiak calls that EXACT SAME naked boot call as this week on a play where at worst you run into the line again, they burn their final timeout and we punt with Peyton Manning needing to go at least 80 yards in under 3 minutes, recover an onside kick and go another 40+ to win with seconds on the clock. The rest is history, Rosenfels goes airborne to get the final yard and the fumble is returned 68 yards for a TD.

Don't forget - we are STILL up by 3 with 3:36 left. Gary runs Slaton into the line for 1 yard, then inexplicably sets Sage back to pass TWICE instead of burning clock and naturally the sack fumble comes on the 2nd one handing Manning the ball on the 20 and 2 plays later they are in the end zone with a 31-27 lead. Rosenfels even led us right back down the field to Colts 43 until we forced the ball deep to AJ on the sideline with :51 left and 2 timeouts in our pocket.

Without question, Rosenfels made some stupid decisions and execution errors and was destroyed by the Houston fans and press, but how the hell does the Head Coach not get destroyed for being so afraid of Peyton Manning that he creates a situation where Manning has to throw 2 balls 20 yards instead of going 80+ on 1 drive, recover an onside kick everyone knows is coming, then go another 40+ yards all in under 4 minutes.

This week isn't exactly the same but he still failed to recognize the downside risk of throwing on 3rd and 4 (with his immobile QB completely exposed no less) was FAR worse than an unsuccessful run and punt with a defense that had stopped Russell Wilson all day except one drive. He didn't have Slaton and Green back there, he had Foster and Tate, yet he still threw 30 times to 11 runs with a significant lead AT HOME.

Wake up Texan fans, Gary is the common element in each of these abysmal losses where we vastly outplay our opponents and still lose. Hell, the entire 2010 season went that way and it's about time people look beyond the QB and start realizing that whether it was Carr, Rosenfels, Schaub, Grossman, Chris Brown, or Yates throwing ill advised passes there was Gary right there putting them in a situation to grasp defeat from the arms of a victorious effort.

It's not like Schaub is some crazy gunslinger, constantly calling his own number and checking out of Gary's calls and making poor decisions, he is executing inherently flawed playcalls poorly and making matters worse, but when 2 games in a row defenders know the play as well as Schaub and OD do, it has failed from the outset and is at best a 50/50 outcome like a hail mary. In this case, when you have consciously chosen to expose your QB on a naked boot behind a backup LT and throw to OD with Richard Sherman covering him, you have been OUTCOACHED before the snap even happens because you have been forced into an unnecessarily risky playcall featuring the biggest mismatches on the field where the worst case scenario becomes the reality. Schaub had decide in a split second whether to just take a sack or try to complete a pass on a play nobody bit on, but AGAIN Kubiak had the advantage of a timeout to think about the right call in that situation and he AGAIN chose the worst possible playcall and NOBODY seems to want to call HIM out for it along with his entire ill fated 2nd half strategy.

You may be right, but a change at QB is way more likely than a change at HC. If Mcnair stood by Kubiak through all those terrible seasons, two playoff wins bought him many more years at the helm I'm sure.
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From an article i just read, we can release schuab after next season and not have to pay him a penny, he has already been paid all his guarantees
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's say a team were in the mood to fire their coach at the end of the season, who are the best head coach candidates available?
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
Let's say a team were in the mood to fire their coach at the end of the season, who are the best head coach candidates available?

I'd like to think Cowher would jump at the job, maybe even Gruden, but I've heard he's in love with his MNF gig.

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
31 tot, 0 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:

The list starts and ends with my neighbor Kevin Sumlin. Pair his offensive creativity with Wade Phillips D and you've got a home run. It would be interesting to see if he would want to go back to battle with his boy Case Keenum or would mold someone new with a bigger arm and mobility like the top of the line elite model's he has lined up behind Johnny. Speaking of him, the JFF chatter would be deafening on draft day, but I don't think that would be ideal as I'm pretty sure Sumlin is looking forward to being done with JFF one way or another next year. The thing I WOULD love to see him do is get Mike Evans and run 3 wide as a base with AJ and Hopkins rotating inside, which would be practically impossible to defend in the red zone and likely extend AJs career. Alternatively, move up for Matthews as RT and see if Swope has healed enough to take a swing at the NFL again or find another top notch guy to stick in the slot, like Jeremy Maclin.

Personally, I think Sumlin is much better suited for the NFL than college and he'll be coaching on Sundays within the next two years. Sure his system would need to be tweaked a bit, but he's already shown he can do that as it's not like A&M is throwing 50 times a game like UH did. From a personality perspective, Sumlin is WAYYY more suited to the Pro game as aside from recruiting, he just isn't too concerned about warm fuzzy distractions like college education, alumni relations, rich college traditions, etc. The guy is about ballz out offensive football and I suspect there would be a line at the door of skill position players begging to sign on which could be a huge asset in a salary cap world.

My primary word of warning would be to pair him with a STRONG DC like Wade Phillips as you can already see the cracks developing here in Aggieland. I'm not quite sure Sumlin and Phillips are a marriage made in heaven, either, so we might want to be prepared to grab a deposed leader. Can you imagine what a Kevin Sumlin offense would look like opposite a Rex Ryan defense? It would have "explosive" written all over it and certainly would command national attention.

Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy thing about Sumlin is that he was never an offensive player, he was a linebacker
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
Crazy thing about Sumlin is that he was never an offensive player, he was a linebacker

And a Purdue alum, like his future boss, Rick Smith.

lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:

Ya, but he's learned under some great offensive minds

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
31 tot, 0 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
jch1911

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

Ya, but he's learned under some great offensive minds

And alongside some good ones as well.... I don't think Jason Phillips who was Sumlin's O-coordinator at UofH gets enough due for his job with Coogs.

Phillips might be another good candidate to bring it to help spice up the offense. His background is in the run and shoot (obviously). But I think he has the chops to help spice up the Texans offensive attack.

I'll start the campaign right now: JP 4 OC!
Grasspike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:

It works out like that a lot. What better way to learn how to exploit defenses than to have actually played it?

Sig by matthouston91
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those that might be interested, I asked this same head coach candidate question on the NFL General forum, to get a broader response, and got quite a few responses. Here's the link.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=532079
kenney

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My nominee is Hue Jackson. He was apparently on Rick Smith's short list when "Fire Kubiak!" cries last reached a fever pitch in 2010. He's a brilliant offensive mind who managed to turn horse crap into iron in Oakland a few years ago. He's fiery and creative and runs a zone-based system, which means the running game and offensive line wouldn't have to undergo a major overhaul in the transition.

My hope is that the team hires Hue Jackson as head coach and a newly-fired Rex Ryan as defensive coordinator. Ballsy, creative playcalling on both sides of the ball is exactly what the talent on this team needs to maximize its potential.
Marco79

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
My nominee is Hue Jackson. He was apparently on Rick Smith's short list when "Fire Kubiak!" cries last reached a fever pitch in 2010. He's a brilliant offensive mind who managed to turn horse crap into iron in Oakland a few years ago. He's fiery and creative and runs a zone-based system, which means the running game and offensive line wouldn't have to undergo a major overhaul in the transition.

My hope is that the team hires Hue Jackson as head coach and a newly-fired Rex Ryan as defensive coordinator. Ballsy, creative playcalling on both sides of the ball is exactly what the talent on this team needs to maximize its potential.

I would love Hue Jackson. He really got the raw end of the deal in Oakland, yes the Carson Palmer trade was stupid, but he also had to make a choice between being a playoff contender or being one of the worst teams yet again. I admire his decision to do the former.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: